[Root SM-A320F /FL/Y] Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 - The most advanced 4.7 inch Samsung yet

Search This thread

jnflos

Feb 13, 2017
This device is more reasonable to buy as it is small and elegant at a decent price.
It is IP68 water-friendly device and the display is much better - higher FPS than on higher resolution OLEDs - good for action games.

Root using CF-autoroot
Download the file from CF-auto-root repository:
https://download.chainfire.eu/1090/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-a3y17lte-a3y17ltexx-sma320f.zip
WARNING! KNOKX will be: tripped. E-fuse: :( << BLOWN >> :rolleyes: Warranty: VOID!

If you have Nougat or after update to Android 7.0:
https://download.chainfire.eu/1090/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-a3y17lte-a3y17ltexx-sma320f.zip

• Wipe data + cache before
  • Flash CF-autoroot before device initial configuration
  • WARNING! KNOKX will be: tripped. E-fuse: :( << BLOWN >> :rolleyes: Warranty: VOID!

• Unzip the file
  • Run Odin from the unzipped folder
  • Browse by clicking AP button the *.md5 file from the unzipped folder
  • Connect the A320F in download mode (start the device by holding Power+Home+Volume DOWN)
  • After starting the device in download mode, press Volume UP one to allow the download
  • A new COM port should be recognized by Odin after the device is connected via USB
  • Press Start button in in Odin
Rooting will take place automatically and the device will restart twice.
After the first restart you can disconnect the cable from the PC.
Second restart might take a few minutes.
After that you will find the SuperSU app installed.

Other, more complicated methods:

Rooting using custom recovery:
You will need:
  • SM-A320F with Exynos CPU (waiting for updates on other model)
  • Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 on your device
  • Odin v3.0.4 (download link below)
  • Team Win Recovery Project - TWRP (download link here) or ClockWork Mod Custom Recovery - CWM (download link below)
  • (Recommended custom recovery: Team Win Recovery Project :good: - more features, newer, works better)
  • SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815 (latest ZIP version available today - download link below)

SM-A320F TWRP & CWM recovery installation procedure:
  • On your device enable developer options and then disable OEM lock (FRP lock) for the device to allow you to flash custom recovery
  • (Activate OEM unlock from developer options menu)
  • Boot your device in Odin downlaod mode (hold VolDOWN + Home + Power)
  • Flash the *.tar file of TWRP or for the CWM using Odin's PDA option
  • (Uncheck Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time)
  • Force reboot your device (hold VolDOWN + Power for 10 seconds)

SM-A320F SuperSU ZIP installation procedure:
  • Copy SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip on a microSD card (trough USB data cable or any other method)
  • Unplug the USB data cable from the phone and shut down the device
  • Start your device in Recovery mode (Hold VolUP + Home + Power)
  • (RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCED - this warning is normal when booting into CWM custom recovery but not with TWRP)
  • The recovery menu will appear

> Using TWRP Recovery:
  • Swipe to allow modifications
  • Tap on Install
  • Tap on Select Storage at the bottom and select MicroSDCard then tap OK
  • Browse for the SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip and tap on it to install it
  • Swipe to install SuperSU (confirm Flash)

> Using CWM Recovery:
  • Select Install zip update package (use VolDOWN/VolUP to navigate and Power to select)
  • Select Choose zip from sdcard
  • Select SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip and press Power to install Super SU

The installation will perform automatically and the device will reboot twice.
First reboot will take longer. Please be patient. After the second reboot you will have SuperSU and root.

Downsides/bugs:
  • Knox will be tripped the second you flash a custom recovery (Warranty void: 1 - non reversibile)
  • (That means that you will lose the warranty for your device and that can not be changed)
  • (Perhaps that's why I personally can't invest more than $300 in a Samsung cellphone ever)
  • You won't be able to use Knox-related functions including Secure Folder ever again
  • Because of a SuperSU bug you won't be able to use Smart View (Miracast, project the screen to smart TV) unless you make an edit as follows:
Use a file browser such as Root Browser and go to the root of your device then locate the "System" folder and find build.prop and edit it with any application that can edit it and find the bottom line, right at the edge of the bottom line you need to press enter twice and then paste this:

wlan.wfd.hdcp=disable

And then save it and reboot your device.
Special thanks to: ashyx for compiling and updating TWRP recovery for SM-A320F and to XN Logos for providing compatible CWM recovery with SM-A320F.
Please feel free to post your attempts on rooting this device and the results. If other methods will show-up I will include them up here.

Attachments

• SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 19,270
  • A320F_STOCK-recovery.tar
    18.8 MB · Views: 12,499
  • A320F_CWM.tar
    17.3 MB · Views: 14,466
Last edited:

copernic75

Nov 17, 2013
Up to this point there is no success in rooting the Galaxy A3 2017 device.

This device is more reasonable to buy as it is small and elegant at a decent price.
Unfortunately there is no sign of working root method for the device.

Please feel free to update this topic with your attempts on rooting this device, and if success will strike, it will float up here for everyone to see.

+1
Thanks to developpers

copernic75

Nov 17, 2013
No error in odin.
When i tried To reboot in revovery mode i don't have access to cmw .. just Android error message + Knox error

jnflos

Feb 13, 2017
Root was successful! I will update the first post with the mini tutorial and the files needed :)

Reactions: xdaA3

copernic75

Nov 17, 2013
I tried again this morning with success!
I can have access to recovery but not to sd card (internal or no)... so I can't root the device.
Any idea?

jnflos

Feb 13, 2017
I tried again this morning with success!
I can have access to recovery but not to sd card (internal or no)... so I can't root the device.
Any idea?
Format the SD card on your PC using FAT32 option (use an USB adapter).
Copy the zip on the card, Insert it into the phone and reboot into recovery to test.

copernic75

Nov 17, 2013
Yes... that's what I did. I found the solution into Google.
Thanks anyway for your help.
Do you think that it will be possible to install TWRP instead of CWM in recovery?

patci32

Jul 16, 2015
Hey guys, I will receive my a3 2017 soon and I was wondering if it would be preferable to root it now than waiting for the update to Nougat and re-root it then... Any idea when the update will be available for this phone? I was also wondering if I should use a specific brand or type of micro sd card with this phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is IP68 water-friendly device and the display is much better - higher FPS than on higher resolution OLEDs - good for action games.

Root using CF-autoroot
    Download the file from CF-auto-root repository:
    WARNING! KNOKX will be: tripped. E-fuse: :( << BLOWN >> :rolleyes: Warranty: VOID!

If you have Nougat or after update to Android 7.0:

• Wipe data + cache before
    • Flash CF-autoroot before device initial configuration
    • WARNING! KNOKX will be: tripped. E-fuse: :( << BLOWN >> :rolleyes: Warranty: VOID!

• Unzip the file
    • Run Odin from the unzipped folder
    • Browse by clicking AP button the *.md5 file from the unzipped folder
    • Connect the A320F in download mode (start the device by holding Power+Home+Volume DOWN)
    • After starting the device in download mode, press Volume UP one to allow the download
    • A new COM port should be recognized by Odin after the device is connected via USB
    • Press Start button in in Odin
    Rooting will take place automatically and the device will restart twice.
    After the first restart you can disconnect the cable from the PC.
    Second restart might take a few minutes.
    After that you will find the SuperSU app installed.

Other, more complicated methods:

Rooting using custom recovery:
    You will need:
    • SM-A320F with Exynos CPU (waiting for updates on other model)
    • Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 on your device
    • Odin v3.0.4 (download link below)
    • Team Win Recovery Project - TWRP (download link here) or ClockWork Mod Custom Recovery - CWM (download link below)
    • (Recommended custom recovery: Team Win Recovery Project :good: - more features, newer, works better)
    • SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815 (latest ZIP version available today - download link below)

SM-A320F TWRP & CWM recovery installation procedure:
    • On your device enable developer options and then disable OEM lock (FRP lock) for the device to allow you to flash custom recovery
    • (Activate OEM unlock from developer options menu)
    • Boot your device in Odin downlaod mode (hold VolDOWN + Home + Power)
    • Flash the *.tar file of TWRP or for the CWM using Odin's PDA option
    • (Uncheck Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time)
    • Force reboot your device (hold VolDOWN + Power for 10 seconds)

SM-A320F SuperSU ZIP installation procedure:
    • Copy SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip on a microSD card (trough USB data cable or any other method)
    • Unplug the USB data cable from the phone and shut down the device
    • Start your device in Recovery mode (Hold VolUP + Home + Power)
    • (RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCED - this warning is normal when booting into CWM custom recovery but not with TWRP)
    • The recovery menu will appear

> Using TWRP Recovery:
    • Swipe to allow modifications
    • Tap on Install
    • Tap on Select Storage at the bottom and select MicroSDCard then tap OK
    • Browse for the SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip and tap on it to install it
    • Swipe to install SuperSU (confirm Flash)

> Using CWM Recovery:
    • Select Install zip update package (use VolDOWN/VolUP to navigate and Power to select)
    • Select Choose zip from sdcard
    • Select SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip and press Power to install Super SU

The installation will perform automatically and the device will reboot twice.
    First reboot will take longer. Please be patient. After the second reboot you will have SuperSU and root.

Downsides/bugs:
    • Knox will be tripped the second you flash a custom recovery (Warranty void: 1 - non reversibile)
    • (That means that you will lose the warranty for your device and that can not be changed)
    • (Perhaps that's why I personally can't invest more than $300 in a Samsung cellphone ever)
    • You won't be able to use Knox-related functions including Secure Folder ever again
    • Because of a SuperSU bug you won't be able to use Smart View (Miracast, project the screen to smart TV) unless you make an edit as follows:
    Use a file browser such as Root Browser and go to the root of your device then locate the "System" folder and find build.prop and edit it with any application that can edit it and find the bottom line, right at the edge of the bottom line you need to press enter twice and then paste this:

wlan.wfd.hdcp=disable

And then save it and reboot your device.
    Special thanks to: ashyx for compiling and updating TWRP recovery for SM-A320F and to XN Logos for providing compatible CWM recovery with SM-A320F.
    Please feel free to post your attempts on rooting this device and the results. If other methods will show-up I will include them up here.
    Hey guys, I will receive my a3 2017 soon and I was wondering if it would be preferable to root it now than waiting for the update to Nougat and re-root it then... Any idea when the update will be available for this phone? I was also wondering if I should use a specific brand or type of micro sd card with this phone?

first of all, - Nougat will not come to A 2017 line as soon as you think, that's most likely the reason for them to be looking Grace UX just like Nougat but being on Marshmallow... just because it's new, it doesn't mean it's considered a flagship, simply because it's not, and there are about at least 5 devices that were and still are flagships even though they came out 1.5 years ago. another point you might wanna take under consideration, - since it looks exactly Nougat Grace UX, and since 7.0 don't seem like around the corner and root only coming along for A series on MM , when do you think you'll get Nougat?! in 6 months... add another month or two for full twrp support and root... are you OK with that??? 6-7 months.

oh... did you think Samsung is rolling out Nougat next week?! sorry about that.

and even if so, you don't seem mind rooting, so you know your ways around Odin... what's the problem to flash official firmware once it's released?!

p. s. I'm already rooted on A5 2017 but twrp recovery is not fully functional, most likely kernel needs modifications.. but I feel fine even so, even though expecting much for full twrp to get in deeper.

Sent from Galaxy Beast A5 (aka Ferrari) Powered by Stock Rooted Firmware
    Why the build of TWRP available for A320* is based on version 3.0.* instead of a more recent version like 3.2.* for example? (I have that version on my S7 since one year). Thanks.
    It's version 3.0.3-1, which is the latest.
    News good, this one is Working , root cwm for galaxy A3 2017 Sm-A320F,
    hit a Thanks if i helped you,
    Here
    @methoddon1: I am confused: it looks like someone used CWM without problems, and somebody else cannot read the SD card. You are suggesting to use TWRP. What is a reliable methd to root (just to root)? Which version of TWRP would work with the A3? Thanks.
    I apologize first of all for getting u all confused... I'm on A5 and there is no twrp for A3 yet... but I did try CWM as well and the problem is there as well. I'm not saying custom recovery can't be used... every time you enter recovery to flash a file or even just to wipe dalvik it'll tell you "unable to mount storage" or something of that nature... a way to go over it is in wipe section to choose format which will delete all your apps but you'll be able to do what you came for... and next time once you enter recovery again you'll have to deal with it again... the only way around it is do it once for flashing super user and then install Flashfire from the Play Store to perform all recovery tasks you need.

Sent from Galaxy Beast A5 (aka Ferrari) Powered by Stock Rooted Firmware