Root SM-G930U with TinySU

Search This thread

doixanh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 23, 2011
okay, i'll try it
It works but sometimes it is not smooth..
busybox and flash fire not supported :(

I'll see what I can do to have better compatibility with flashfire. Which busybox did you use?

I got Knox errors and warnings with other flashes. This is the first one I've not gotten any. I have a story to with this phone and I'd tell it if it was't off topic :p

EDIT: How about Exposed? I managed to flash the .zip using flashfire yesterday on another build before I flashed another one.

Please tell, we don't have much activity here in this thread :)
I haven't tried Xposed because the author said it was not ready for Nougat...

Last edited:
I'll see what I can do to have better compatibility with flashfire. Which busybox did you use?

I used this method. I downloaded the installer and the zip. I then flashed it with FlashFire. I can say it worked, up until I flashed to the OS I am on now. I think, but can't find the thread, you have to reflash the root file again after you flash Xposed. I can't be 100% about that. There is also this method, but I haven't tried it yet.

Ok so given what I put this phone through already, I decided to try it out.

1) Download FlashFire and install. Make sure it's granted root access. It might force close the first time, just swipe it closed in recent button and reopen it.
2) Download the .zip and installer from here.
3) Via ADB, install the Xposed APK, but DO NOT open the app yet.:
Code:
adb root
adb install nameofpackage.apk

4) Place the .zip it into internal storage (sdcard). I pushed it through ADB:
Code:
adb root
adb push nameofzip.zip /sdcard

5) Open FlashFire. Tap the '+' at the bottom right and select 'Flash ZIP or OTA'. Find the .zip you just put on your sdcard and select it.
4) In the 'options' window, please select 'mount /system read/write'. make sure ONLY that option is selected. Tap the check mark at the upper right.
5) Some say to do a davlik and cache wipe. If you have a near freshly flashed device or out of the box new, I wouldn't wipe anything. I have had some issues when flashing Xposed via FlashFire on this device when doing so. BUT, if you're like me and like to walk on the wild side; tap the plus sign again, select wipe and select davlik and cache ONLY. Tap the check mark.
6) I've done this next step both ways, but not sure if it makes a difference. It might though I have no real idea. Make sure the Wipe cache is first, then Xposed. I am on a fresh ROM so I did not wipe cache at all.
7) After reboot, go to the Xposed App and tap it. You're welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: doixanh

TeeVn

Mar 28, 2014
Ho Chi Minh
busybox working . ^^
Xposed has worked with SuperSU .. can TinySu work? because . flash xposed zip through flashfire and flashfire can not be used with TinySU.
or by copying permission settings
. And.. having problems with Titanium Backup
"Your SU binary (version "13 com.android.settings") is functional but might not work reliable on some Android 4.3 ROMs. If you encounter any issues in TB, please use SuperSU instead."

Ok so I have flashed this phone I can't tell how many times to try and get damned SuperSU to work. And I have never in my life had so much trouble. TinySU is perfect, installed the first time, no problems. My mistake: FlashFire doesn't work. So what about Flashify? I cannot get Xposed to flash properly using FlashFire. I haven't tried the Flashify method. So If not that route, is there a route? I can get everything installed and working on Nougat, but there is no official Xposed yet, and A lost of the good modules don't work, like GravityBox (despite reports there is not a GB for 7.0). So am I in a catch 22? I stay on 6.0, no Xposed, or go back to 7.0 with Xposed, but nothing really works lol.

doixanh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 23, 2011
I manually installed Xposed using @DragonFire1024 mentioned, only to use Amplify module to disable wakelocks.

I haven't updated but TinySU to be compatible with Flashfire yet, a wee bit too busy these days. Mean while, I'll make an installation script for Xposed. Flashfire is not needed at all.

Reactions: DragonFire1024
I manually installed Xposed using @DragonFire1024 mentioned, only to use Amplify module to disable wakelocks.

I haven't updated but TinySU to be compatible with Flashfire yet, a wee bit too busy these days. Mean while, I'll make an installation script for Xposed. Flashfire is not needed at all.

I managed to get one of the custom Xposed working for the time being. I didn't think FlashFire was necessarily required, but hadn't gotten around to trying other means. I kept losing root because Knox would cause requests for root access to be massively delayed. When the request finally came through, I was able to grant it to FlashFire and flash Knox into deletion. Honestly if I knew if Flashify worked or not, I would've spent another 2 hours screwing around. But after 7 hours of drowngrading from 7.0 to 6.0 and finally getting WiFi passwords to hold, the only issue was SuperSU. Would very much like to use TinySU as it worked perfect each time with the exception listed in my previous comment. Thanks for your reply and help :)

If that's the case you can try TinySU, it should work.

Don't forget to push the fingerprint fix back... My script is for G930U so the fingerprint sensor may be different

I have had major issues with the latest SuperSU running on the G930U. Every version except for 2.8x works fine. 2.8x and above, good luck updating the binary and good luck getting it to be unoccupied. I tried everything.

InsanePostman

Sep 14, 2012
Milwaukee
I have the Sprint S7 g930p flashed with Nougat g930u firmware. After using comsy's odin to flash the engineering kernel my phone is running like **** and I've lost mobile data. I checked the APN settings and there's nothing for sprint LTE anymore. What now?

I have the Sprint S7 g930p flashed with Nougat g930u firmware. After using comsy's odin to flash the engineering kernel my phone is running like **** and I've lost mobile data. I checked the APN settings and there's nothing for sprint LTE anymore. What now?

I would say it's because the phone is flashed with non carrier firmware. Here is Sprint firmware http://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?record=8AE0CC7C625711E7963AFA163EE8F90B

Also try the build.prop edit https://www.theandroidsoul.com/fix-wifi-password-issue-galaxy-s7-s7-edge-rooting/

If that doesn't work, see if there are Sprint apps you can download. It could also be your radio. https://xdaforums.com/tmobile-galaxy-s7/how-to/flashing-g930u-firmware-to-t-mobile-s7-t3533918 just reflash the radio file.

That's all I got. sorry if it's no help.

Reactions: InsanePostman

InsanePostman

Sep 14, 2012
Milwaukee
I would say it's because the phone is flashed with non carrier firmware. Here is Sprint firmware http://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?record=8AE0CC7C625711E7963AFA163EE8F90B

Also try the build.prop edit https://www.theandroidsoul.com/fix-wifi-password-issue-galaxy-s7-s7-edge-rooting/

If that doesn't work, see if there are Sprint apps you can download. It could also be your radio. https://xdaforums.com/tmobile-galaxy-s7/how-to/flashing-g930u-firmware-to-t-mobile-s7-t3533918 just reflash the radio file.

That's all I got. sorry if it's no help.
I appreciate your reply! I have the sprint g930u firmware flashed already and it was working just fine before the engineering kernel flash. I'm just going to abort rooting and reflash my firmware. With a locked bootloader this headache isnt worth my time.

I appreciate your reply! I have the sprint g930u firmware flashed already and it was working just fine before the engineering kernel flash. I'm just going to abort rooting and reflash my firmware. With a locked bootloader this headache isnt worth my time.

Ahh. Yeah rooting this device and holding root was a real headache. You could always try downgrading to 6.0 I use mine for wifi right now. It's never had a provider and I've no plans to get one yet.

Reactions: InsanePostman

machhho

Feb 3, 2011
I can"t get the root working on my device because the script of a tinysu-root.bat is only flashing and doing nothing . please anyone advice me how to do it and many thanks in advance

Karim Negm

Jul 4, 2016
Does this completely solve the lag problem associated with using the engineered kernel abd super su method, or just simply lessen it.. In other words will rooting using your method affect the phone's performance in any way?

Karim Negm

Jul 4, 2016
Took the risk and rooted with tiny su, within 2 minutes performance was as good as stock, faced no problems with root.
Huge thumbs up to you for making this!

edit:lag is definitely there, it comes and goes, but it's there. Especially noticeable after a reboot. Also, even though I still have root access, the tinysu app itself doesn't open anymore (keeps crashing).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts