Due to the fact that SamFail Development has now stopped and this thread continuously goes off topic and all questions you can have have already been answered. I will be having this thread closed. If people have questions they can search the thread as any question is already answered. As of now there WILL NOT be root for v4 and v5 bootloaders. Stop asking. I have left the Note8. DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR HELP!!!
Mods please close the thread. I wish for this post to be the final post so please remove any posts after this one.
As of 8/28/18 SamFAIL is officially depreciated. There is no new root method at this time and i will not be helping find another one. Bootloader V3 is the final version of SamFAIL for Note8. DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR HELP!!!
Root for the USA Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy Note 8! (N950U,N950U1,N950W)
WARNING! The latest Note8 software update(U4XXXX) blocks samFail(All carriers.). DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU WANT ROOT! SamFAILv3 Has been Released There is an addititonal step in Part 1 for V3 ONLY.
Bootloader check guide(Green can be rooted, Red can not be rooted)
Last 6 of firmware version(X can be different): U1XXXX=Bootloader V1
U2XXXX or S2XXXX=Bootloader V2
U3XXXX or S3XXXX=Bootloader V3 U4XXXX or S4XXXX=Bootloader V4 U5XXXX or S5XXXX=Bootloader V5
Disclaimer 1: Although this method does not trip the "Knox Flag" you are still taking a risk by rooting your device. We are not responsible for your blazing fast smartphone with root! Let's hope this one doesn't catch on fire! DISCLAIMER 1.5: THIS IS NOT FOR EXYNOS OR CHINESE MODELS!
First and foremost, SHOUTOUTS!
- @partcyborg for finding the root method!
- @me2151 for testing on Note 8 and facilitating root on the Note 8!
- @elliwigy for... Shenanigans! And thread template
- @jrkruse For the deodexed system!
- @Chainfire He will be missed! (no he is not dead, just retired.)
- Samsung for the amazing phone and leaving rediculous loopholes open for us to root!
Disclaimer 2: The method to root should be pretty straight forward as the hard work has already been done for you. With that being said, you will need to know how to download files from the internet, extract a zip file and to use ODIN. That is basically it! Oh yea, BACK UP YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE AS THIS WILL ERASE IT! PLEASE BE SURE TO READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP!
- SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar/PIT File Zip (in Post #2)
- SamFAIL Note 8 PART 2 Firmware Zip (also in Post #2)
- Comsey ODIN and Normal ODIN (Found in Post #2 Aswell)(Normal ODIN is just in case)
- Well your Note 8 of course, Need to be by a PC and ready to use Download Mode!
Part 1 Instructions:
IF YOU ARE ON U3(Rev3) bootloader you must Flash SamFAILv3_N8_FIRMWARE first THEN do part 1 THEN part 2 again. This IS a requirement. Not optional. Otherwise for U1 and U2 proceed as normal.
1) Unzip the SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar and PIT File to your PC.
2) Have Comsey ODIN up and ready. Place your Note 8 into Download Mode and Connect to PC
3) In the AP slot, select the Pre-Rooted system.tar.
4) Now go to the PIT tab(Click OK or close on the warning box) and click and navigate to the PIT file you also just downloaded and select it.
5) On the OPTIONS tab, you will select the following: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time, NAND ERASE ALL, and Re-Partition.
6) Once you have everything in place and the correct options selected, press START.
7) ODIN will say FAIL at the end of the flash and the phone will have rebooted to upload mode saying "Unknow Error". Don't fret however, the system should have still been written!
8) You will have to get the phone back into Download mode( Hold Power, VOL- and bixby together and the phone will reboot to download mode and tell you its in emergency mode. THIS IS NORMAL.) and then proceed to Part 2 Instructions!
Basic ODIN flashing here guys... Not rocket science!
Part 2 Instructions:
1) Download and Extract the SamFAIL Note 8 Part 2 Firmware Zip to your PC
2) Click Reset in Comsey ODIN or close it out and re-open it so it is COMPLETELY cleared out
3) Now select the firmware. BL goes in BL, AP goes in AP, CP goes in CP, dont press start yet!
4) Now, this time we ARE NOT SELECTING A PIT FILE, We should just select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. DO NOT DO NAND ERASE ALL OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER.
5) Once you got the partitions in place and the right options selected, Press Start!
7) Once phone boots up, Setup your device as normal and proceed to the SuperSU app. It may ask you to update the SU Binary. Select Normal method and let it do its thing. Follow its instructions then SU should say it was Successful in updating and it needs to reboot(You may have to do it multiple times. I believe its 2 or 3 times then its good) ENJOY SamFAIL ROOT!
* SamFAIL DOES NOT TRIP KNOX
* Boot.img is SECURE which means you MUST use SYSTEM ROOT. (Similar to SamPWND)
* This means that MAGISK DOES NOT WORK
* Which also means SAFETY NET FAILS. So any apps you enjoy that require passing Safety Net will most likely not work while you are rooted with SamFAIL
* Again, similar to SamPWND, this root method uses a factory binary boot.img which is necessary to boot the modified system. THIS MEANS BATTERY ONLY CHARGES TO 80% (Thanks Samsung.)
* SamFAIL DOES NOT UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER AND DOES NOT SIM UNLOCK YOUR PHONE.
* This *should* in theory, work for other Snapdragon Models of the Note 8. If you have another model and are successful please post so we can add "support" for other models.
Back to Stock?
- Download the full STOCK firmware of your choice.
- Flash it in ODIN/Comsey ODIN as you would any other time!
- It will take a few reboots for the "custom" splash screen to go away.
- Screen sometimes will be bugged out. Fix by turning screen off and back on. Caused by Factory boot files.
- Possibility of Bixby Home crashing.
- SuperSU may ask you to update it multiple times.
As always, the devs have been hard at work recently to bring you root. Donations are definitely NOT REQUIRED but if you feel generous and want to spot the devs a few bucks for their hard work you can donate to this Paypal Address:
SamFailV2.5= Bootloader Revision 2(u2/s2) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev2 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1!
--------------------------------------------------- SamFailV2.5_N8_FIRMWARE SamFailV2.5_N8_SYSTEM_Deodex
SamFailV3= Bootloader Revision 3(u3/s3) WARNING ONLY USE IF ON Rev3 Firmware. YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BACK TO Rev1 or Rev2!
--------------------------------------------------- SamFailV3_N8_FIRMWARE SamFailV3_N8_SYSTEM_Deodexed
ARE YOU READY KIDS??? Heres the news you all have been waiting for. Rev2 has been SamFAILED! I have full root with the SamFAIL method on U2 firmware. Based of Sprints U2BQJB Firmware. There is multicsc already included so there will not be the need for csc just as before. It is currently NOT deodexed. Thats on my todo list. But spread the joy. We have root after Samsung patched us out.
EDIT: This IS rooted however i want to test for a few days to look for bugs before release. This is more of a notice.
EDIT2: Yes there is still the 80% battery bug. Dont ask about it. Each time someone asks about it im testing it one more day before i release it. So keep your mouths shut(and fingers of the keyboard) about it.
Added support for incrimented bootloader Firmwares.
Uses same method as Rev1
Based on BQL5
ATT Calling features fixed(ONLY IF YOU DO NOT FLASH A CSC) thanks to @jerrycoffman45
VZW Custom CSCFeatures thanks to @louforgiveno
ATT,SPR,TMO re-enabled callerID and spam protect.
DO NOT FLASH CSC IF YOU WANT CUSTOM FEATURES!
Setup freeze at checking for updates fixed.
Support for BLv3 Thanks to @ililaoban for confirming it still works on U3
Based on BRA9(Jan Sec patch)
If on Oreo revert back to stock Nougat first. the oreo bootloader patches samfail.
Guys. Ive already stated a new update will be coming soon(it eliminates ALOT of problems people have). It ALSO eliminates the need to flash csc. You All who are posting files just stop and wait til tomorrow. thats when the new stuff will be up Along with an updated guide.