Root Status

Search This thread

zifnab06

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2009
zifnab06.net
Well, I've asked a mod to lock the other root status thread. It was getting kind of out of hand. After about page 80, people stopped looking at what we had done so far, and trying to help by putting ideas out that already failed.

This is what we know:

Fastboot is locked down in everything but oem-78 mode. You can get to this mode by typing "reboot oem-78" at an adb shell. Fastboot is essentially unlocked, allowing fastboot boot and fastboot flash, only the .img images we try to boot or flash NEED TO BE SIGNED.

Goldcards no longer allow non signed firmware to be loaded, only signed firmware with a different SID.

All known flashing methods require the .img files to be signed by HTC. We do not have the privatekey, nor do we have any way to decrypt the key as it is RSA. Meaning this is a NO GO.

All previous known exploits (asroot2, g1 telnetd, DROID update.zip method) have been patched. They won't work. And there isn't a way around this.

All the partitions except /data are mounted as read only. Meaning, without root access, there is NO way to modify them. In the init.rc file, they are mounted rw, and directly after that mounted ro. We can read and write to /data as we wish, but NOTHING important is here.

The only folder anything can run as root out of is /system/bin. Every other partition is mounted with the nosuid option, meaning code CANNOT be run as root. Simple enough. We can't run anything as the user root, or the group root.

Lets try to stay a little more on topic this time. Please don't let this become another 40 pages of complete crap. And please keep this thread about root access, any other problems should be posted in the appropriate forum.

Thanks, and lets get this root done!

R-T-B

Dec 30, 2009
Olympia
I'm currently comparing superboot.img in a hex editor to the vanilla boot.img for that phone so I can better understand what he did, and how. I'll see what I can turn up, maybe we can make one for the eris.

EDIT: It seems it's not going to be so easy. There's a lot of things changed. It appears he changed something at the top of the file right after the header, and then there is some sort of (SHA1?) hash right below that, but I don't know what it's calculated from. This is beyond my skills at the moment, I think.

Last edited:

FireSokar

Jun 3, 2007
Illinois
Are any of the fields changed from the original boot.img show up in our boot.img? Chance of searching for each field in our img and replacing with possibly what he did?

binny1007

Jun 29, 2006
Madison
well i guess it was time to lock the other thread as some people could not play nice..... so i guess we will use this one now..... next idea anyone, and i am guessing jman will no longer be joing us, so it looks like we are on our own.

laxattack

Dec 28, 2009
Google Pixel 3 XL
well i know that much i have been sitting back following from the begining now im ready to get my hands dirty, though i have no clue what im doing

punk.kaos

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2008
well i guess it was time to lock the other thread as some people could not play nice..... so i guess we will use this one now..... next idea anyone, and i am guessing jman will no longer be joing us, so it looks like we are on our own.

Ok, I missed something I think. Thats what I get for not refreshing every 10 seconds :) What happened to jman? Or is it better off that I not ask :)

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
Ok, I missed something I think. Thats what I get for not refreshing every 10 seconds :) What happened to jman? Or is it better off that I not ask :)

I don't think I'll be following these threads anymore. I try to help you guys, but in the end some of you just don't appreciate the help.

I don't claim to be an expert, and I never promised anybody that I could root their phone. I simply have information to share that I think has brought you guys to a greater understanding of your phones and the Android system. Most of you are thankful, but I really don't need to be attacked personally in these threads that don't even have anything to do with my phone.

I'd like to thank the moderator for locking down the other forum, I'd also like to thank whichever moderator deleted the message that was quite insulting to me.... I only happened to see it because it came into my email. Yes, I subscribed to the thread via email to try to keep up with you guys and offer any help I could as quickly as I could.

I'm sorry guys, I wish you luck, but I just don't need to be berated in open forum like that for trying to help the Eris owners out, so I won't be keeping up with your rooting efforts.

There are a couple of you that have been very appreciative, and please feel free to PM me.

binny1007

Jun 29, 2006
Madison
Thanks jman and I understand, if I was in your shoes I would do the same and I reported that post almost right after it was posted hoping you would not see it. But I know for me I have a greater understanding of my phone and like I have said before Thank you very much for your help. It's a shame to see you go but we understand.
Binny

Videofolife13

Nov 12, 2009
I don't think I'll be following these threads anymore. I try to help you guys, but in the end some of you just don't appreciate the help.

I don't claim to be an expert, and I never promised anybody that I could root their phone. I simply have information to share that I think has brought you guys to a greater understanding of your phones and the Android system. Most of you are thankful, but I really don't need to be attacked personally in these threads that don't even have anything to do with my phone.

I'd like to thank the moderator for locking down the other forum, I'd also like to thank whichever moderator deleted the message that was quite insulting to me.... I only happened to see it because it came into my email. Yes, I subscribed to the thread via email to try to keep up with you guys and offer any help I could as quickly as I could.

I'm sorry guys, I wish you luck, but I just don't need to be berated in open forum like that for trying to help the Eris owners out, so I won't be keeping up with your rooting efforts.

There are a couple of you that have been very appreciative, and please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for sticking through with us. You've been extremely helpful since day one, and I would like to say thanks and basically say what Binny said above.

I haven't had a lot of time to follow the thread, but, I too, am happy that it was locked. Hopefully the Eris owners can regroup in a day or so after we all chill out. Sigh. Fingers are still crossed for root.

rsx-s newbie

Jan 5, 2010
Has anyone been able to actually BOOT any of the images extracted from the rom.zip via fastboot in oem-78 mode? If so, and you could post how, I might have access to an image with root access. I've tried repeated times to perform "fastboot boot recovery.img" but it sends it and then sticks on "booting..." I have moved forward with the RUU at this point, but the device never actually boots into the img.

Unfortunately, I cannot not upload the image due to my job.

rsx-s newbie

Jan 5, 2010
Also, if anyone can help with goldcard downgrading, I might be able to downgrade to an old version with root access. My downgrade continues to fail due to the bootloader version being too high. I created the goldcard per the appropriate thread and it appeared to work as the Cell South thread indicated, but still no dice on the downgrade.

binny1007

Jun 29, 2006
Madison
If your gold card is made right it should work.... are you putting the .zip on you gold card and renameing it PB00IMG.zip?