• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Root] Stuck in Boot loop after taking OTA

Search This thread

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone, I could really use some help. My KB2005 is stuck in what looks like a boot loop. I took an OTA update after going into magisk and restoring images. After the update finished installing and before rebooting, I installed magisk to the inactive slot. Now when my phone boots up, it is stuck on the spinning circle boot up logo. It stays there, screen goes black, then maybe 30 seconds later I see the boot logo again.

I used MSM download to restore my phone to stock. Re rooted + safetynetfix, attempted to take the OTA update using the procedure above, and the same result happened (boot loop).

I then used the fastboot method to unbrick. Re rooted + safetynet fix, attempted to take OTA update using the procedure above, and again the same thing happened.

My phone will successfully take an OTA and not boot loop if I'm not rooted.

I could root + safetynet fix after taking the OTA, but the next time an update comes along, I'd like to be confident that using the magisk method to install the OTA will work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is any other information I can provide that can help please let me know. Cheers

EDIT - I did some digging - according to getvar all, my slot b is not 'successful'. To confirm, I force booted slot b and get a qualcomm crush dump screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
Hi everyone, I could really use some help. My KB2005 is stuck in what looks like a boot loop. I took an OTA update after going into magisk and restoring images. After the update finished installing and before rebooting, I installed magisk to the inactive slot. Now when my phone boots up, it is stuck on the spinning circle boot up logo. It stays there, screen goes black, then maybe 30 seconds later I see the boot logo again.

I used MSM download to restore my phone to stock. Re rooted + safetynetfix, attempted to take the OTA update using the procedure above, and the same result happened (boot loop).

I then used the fastboot method to unbrick. Re rooted + safetynet fix, attempted to take OTA update using the procedure above, and again the same thing happened.

I could root + safetynet fix after taking the OTA, but the next time an update comes along, I'd like to be confident that using the magisk method to install the OTA will work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is any other information I can provide that can help please let me know. Cheers

EDIT - I did some digging - according to getvar all, my slot b is not 'successful'. To confirm, I force booted slot b and get a qualcomm crush dump screen.
After you used magisk to flash to the inactive slot, did you disable all of the modules before rebooting? That might help. And you are not using twrp correct?

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
After you used magisk to flash to the inactive slot, did you disable all of the modules before rebooting? That might help. And you are not using twrp correct?

Hi, correct I am not using twrp. I tried unlocking the boot loader and not rooting. Receiving an OTA works and I can reboot. But oddly enough if I do a --set-active=otherslot, i get a qualcomm crashdump.

It appears that whenever I or magisk force change the active slot, I get a crash dump.

EDIT - Still unsuccessful. I've tried numerous times using MSM Download and the fastboot unbrick method by coomac. I haven't been able to --set-active=b a single time, it always ends up in a qualcomm crash dump. I suspect slot is B is corrupt.

Last edited:

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
Try to restore both slots with an older version of rom using local update. Then take ota and try.
I'd like to give this a shot but I have a couple of follow up questions: does an older version of the rom restore both slots vs newer versions just containing one slot? Or if I have that wrong, how do I flash both slots from local upgrade?

kjslabber

Mar 8, 2015
Northeast Ohio
I'd like to give this a shot but I have a couple of follow up questions: does an older version of the rom restore both slots vs newer versions just containing one slot? Or if I have that wrong, how do I flash both slots from local upgrade?
Install rom to first slot, boot system and do local update again and reboot. That will put same version on both slots. Then take the regular update to current new version. You do know how to do local updates don't you?

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
Install rom to first slot, boot system and do local update again and reboot. That will put same version on both slots. Then take the regular update to current new version. You do know how to do local updates don't you?
Thanks for the reply. I do yes. I'll give this method a shot. Cheers

UPDATE - Just finished using msm download to restore OOS 11.0.5.6 and then used local upgrade to flash OnePlus8TOxygen_15.O.20_GLO_0200_2011132216 (both 11.0.5.6). I can now successfully boot both slots!

Now I am going to root. install riru and safetynet fix in magisk.

When I am ready to take an OTA, the correct process would be to uninstall the safetynet fix and riru. Then uninstall magisk using restore images, download and install OTA but do not reboot. Go into magisk and install to other slot. Then providing a successfully boot, reinstall safetynet and riru. Is this correct?

UPDATE 2 - Qualcomm crashdump happened after taking an OTA using the method I outlined above. So I reverted back to the previous slot and am in the process of doing a local upgrade again using 11.0.5.6 to hopefully restore that slot to working.

Last edited:

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
Something about magisk installing to the other slot and forcing a slot change is causing this crash dump.

I had 11.0.5.6 on both slots. I rooted. I then completely unrooted (not restore images). Took an update. That booted. I booted that. Rooted it. Then for testing, completely unrooted again. Then I received the latest OTA. That installed and booted. So I'm rooting now on the latest getting ready for daily use.

I have no idea why using magisk to install root to the other slot and forcing a slot change is not working. I'm grateful that, with extra steps, i can at least reliably receive OTAs and continue on living rooted life.

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
So, right after the ota is finished installing, before rebooting, you go to magisk and install to inactive slot, then you reboot immediately correct?
Yup. Doing exactly that results in a Qualcomm crash dump every single time.

Only way for me to bypass the crash dump is to completely uninstall magisk. I take the OTA and reboot losing root. I use twrp to dump updated boot partition, and reinstall magisk to patch the boot dump. Then fastboot flash the new rooted boot dump.

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
Yup. Doing exactly that results in a Qualcomm crash dump every single time.

Only way for me to bypass the crash dump is to completely uninstall magisk. I take the OTA and reboot losing root. I use twrp to dump updated boot partition, and reinstall magisk to patch the boot dump. Then fastboot flash the new rooted boot dump.
Well, that's really weird. Have you tried magisk-canary? Or are you using the stable v23?

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
Well, that's really weird. Have you tried magisk-canary? Or are you using the stable v23?
I'm on v23, I haven't tried Canary.

This used to work on v23, the Qualcomm crash dump just started four days ago. What happened? In early September, I started failing safetynet out of the blue. Safetynetfix was not working so I followed the steps that are now crossed out (they were not then) at the following link. About a week after following those steps, I revisited the site to find that a new safetynetfix was released that worked. It didn't need LSposed or Xprivacylua. I went into Xprivacylua and reversed the changes i made, and uninstalled it and Lsposed. Then I applied the new safetynetfix. Immediately upon reboot, my finger print sensor started say 'finger print hardware failure' on the lock screen, and I was unable to enroll any new fingerprints; I would get a popup error saying enrollment failed.

At this point I decided to restore my phone using an unbrick method for a couple of reasons: 1) I wanted my finger print scanner to work, 2) I wanted to start fresh on my phone for a few months, and 3) I used to unbrick my phone to restore to factory all the time when I messed around with my OP5T. This is when the Qualcomm crash dumps started happening every time when Magisk installs to the other slot. I've used the MSM download linked on this forum and the fastboot unbrick method. I Qualcomm crash every time magisk installs to the other slot and switches slots.

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T

This used to work on v23, the Qualcomm crash dump just started four days ago. What happened? In early September, I started failing safetynet out of the blue. Safetynetfix was not working so I followed the steps that are now crossed out (they were not then) at the following link. About a week after following those steps, I revisited the site to find that a new safetynetfix was released that worked. It didn't need LSposed or Xprivacylua. I went into Xprivacylua and reversed the changes i made, and uninstalled it and Lsposed. Then I applied the new safetynetfix. Immediately upon reboot, my finger print sensor started say 'finger print hardware failure' on the lock screen, and I was unable to enroll any new fingerprints; I would get a popup error saying enrollment failed.

At this point I decided to restore my phone using an unbrick method for a couple of reasons: 1) I wanted my finger print scanner to work, 2) I wanted to start fresh on my phone for a few months, and 3) I used to unbrick my phone to restore to factory all the time when I messed around with my OP5T. This is when the Qualcomm crash dumps started happening every time when Magisk installs to the other slot. I've used the MSM download linked on this forum and the fastboot unbrick method. I Qualcomm crash every time magisk installs to the other slot and switches slots.
Sorry, at this point I don't know why it isn't working. You seem to be doing everything correctly so I am not sure why it's not working properly. The only thing I could think of that might be the issue is, as far as I know, that Oneplus hasn't pushed a september update yet to merge the september security patch which could be the culprit, but I cant say for certain. I know for me, I use Sakura ROM, SafetyNet was failing early september when android had pushed the september patch, but Sakura ROM hadnt merged it yet, but when they did merge it everything was working fine. Anyways, hopefully someone else may be able to give you a better answer.

EDIT: It seems the latest OOS incremental update is breaking when trying to upgrade while rooted. You need to use the full ota zip and do local manual upgrade. See the last couple of posts in here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/oneplus-8t-rom-ota-oxygen-os-repo-of-oxygen-os-builds.4193183/

Last edited:
Reactions: behel1t

behel1t

Oct 24, 2013
Sorry, at this point I don't know why it isn't working. You seem to be doing everything correctly so I am not sure why it's not working properly. The only thing I could think of that might be the issue is, as far as I know, that Oneplus hasn't pushed a september update yet to merge the september security patch which could be the culprit, but I cant say for certain. I know for me, I use Sakura ROM, SafetyNet was failing early september when android had pushed the september patch, but Sakura ROM hadnt merged it yet, but when they did merge it everything was working fine. Anyways, hopefully someone else may be able to give you a better answer.

EDIT: It seems the latest OOS incremental update is breaking when trying to upgrade while rooted. You need to use the full ota zip and do local manual upgrade. See the last couple of posts in here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/oneplus-8t-rom-ota-oxygen-os-repo-of-oxygen-os-builds.4193183/
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This is definitely what is happening. You just just saved me from spending any more time on this mess. Cheers!

Reactions: azoller1

rcbjr2

Aug 12, 2010
I just wanted to add that I had same problem with my OP8T and couldn't reflash the ROM and had to send my phone to OP to get the ROM put back on. Slot B still doesn't work. You at least were able to get the phone back working with MSN.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This is definitely what is happening. You just just saved me from spending any more time on this mess. Cheers!