[ROOT] Superboot - Nexus 4 root solution

Search This thread

hamedunix

Oct 19, 2011
Ahvaz
I rooted my Sensation 2 years ago and have been on it since then. While waiting for my Nexus 4 to arrive I've got some questions to ask since I pretty much forgot the whole thing about rooting:
1- I might get my phone on 4.2.2 or 4.2.1 out of the box, does this method work on it?
2- Does it grant permanent root access?
3- Will I still get Andriod updates from Google and be able to install them?
4- If it's not working on 4.2.x, what do you recommend?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: 824ec82dfa9ecd0c411dad9121f1f32d
    How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P
    works for 4.2.2

Lost my root after the latest OTA from Google (4.2.2) and used Superboot to get it back... I can confirm that this works on the latest version.
    So itching to try, can't be the first though :(
    But I can be the first to reply :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    You're not - I used it to root mine. ;)

P
    Are we getting a Rom in the near future from you Paul. Love your work! Thanks for this! :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium
    Yeah. :)

P
    I don't understand how root sticks even after a reboot; when you only boot the superboot.img file and not flash it, but IT WORKS!

It works well and is very easy! Thank you so much, I found this as the easiest way to root a device, EVER!

The boot image itself remounts system, copies superuser files then reboots back into the stock boot image. Job done! :)

P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2