[ROOT] Superboot - Nexus 7 WiFi / 3G root solution

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • Superboot r4 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

Last edited:

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'll probably just use the CWM already made, unless there's a good reason to make a new one?

P

I just wasn't sure who even made the other n I prefer using stuff by well known devs that's all. when I get mine I'll try porting our cannibal touch recovery from the kfire with sblood86 n drew.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

Dark_Knight2

Jul 3, 2012
This is outstanding news. Im ready for my nexus 7 to hit my door. Believe it or not this will be my first nexus device and I cant wait. Thanks paul o brian :thumbup::D:beer:

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Mogster

Dec 14, 2010
I was having trouble with the other two methods once inside CWM (something to do with the Windows driver), but this worked flawlessly. I can live without CWM for now. :)

Brigaid

Aug 11, 2010
I've got a question I hope won't bother you to answer, Paul.

My goal with my Nexus 7 when it arrives is to be able to load up Titanium Backup Pro and restore some of my Games (App+Data). I' d like to know if I understand the process right to get to that point and still be able to receive OTA updates.

The first thing I should do when I turn on my device is boot into the bootloader and oem fastboot unlock.

Next, I should follow your instructions to chmod and install the superboot package.

When my device reboots after this, should I be able to update to 4.1.1 and retain root so I can install TBpro?

S

Soldier-2Point0

I've got a question I hope won't bother you to answer, Paul.

My goal with my Nexus 7 when it arrives is to be able to load up Titanium Backup Pro and restore some of my Games (App+Data). I' d like to know if I understand the process right to get to that point and still be able to receive OTA updates.

The first thing I should do when I turn on my device is boot into the bootloader and oem fastboot unlock.

Next, I should follow your instructions to chmod and install the superboot package.

When my device reboots after this, should I be able to update to 4.1.1 and retain root so I can install TBpro?

Upgrade first then unlock and root 4.1.1

Worked for me

MB860, CM7.2.0, Faux 026b1 1Ghz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    • Superboot r4 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
    How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P
    So does this unlock the bootloader?

Note: You need to unlock the bootloader in order to use this Superboot. Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device.

Reading carefully before flashing helps reduce frustration. (old chinese proverb)
    I'll probably just use the CWM already made, unless there's a good reason to make a new one?

P

Twrp is a good enough reason ;)

Makes flashing Roms on my prime effortless.
    tried this 3 times... no joy.. no root. the ota jb update was applied before i did this..............would that screw it up??

See if you have any luck with wugfresh that's how I got rooted
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Updated to r2 - this now removes the file that overwrites the custom recovery image on boot.

P
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone