[ROOT] SuperSU

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer -
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
This thread was originally for Pixel-specific rooting instructions, but by now the SuperSU ZIP and TWRP are fully supported:

- Fastboot boot TWRP
- Install latest SuperSU ZIP (v2.79-SR3 at the time of writing)

Note that at this time I recommend against fastboot flashing TWRP. With the Pixel's new partition layout, the recovery files are inside the boot partition, and so is SuperSU. If you flash both, SuperSU's internal boot image backup will not be of the original boot image, but of TWRP. This means that neither the 'full unroot' option in SuperSU, nor incremental OTA update through FlashFire, will work as expected.

OR

- Use CF-Auto-Root for Pixel (not released at the time of writing, but should be released soon)

Last edited:

diabl0w

Mar 5, 2015
How does this relate?
because I attempted to not really thinking about that its systemless and wasnt sure if root would persist. after attempting to flash boot elementalX's kernel my device just powered off so i immediately reflashed root and all is okay now

lexcyn

Apr 4, 2010
Sudbury
Lol if you read chainfires instructions you would have e your answer,but it short no, not until they add it
chainfire said:
- If you want to use a custom kernel, simply 'fastboot boot' the root image again after flashing the custom kernel. This has been tested with a few custom kernels and found to work well so far.
It was a valid question since this flashing method is different than what we are used to due to the difference in partitions and the file system.

Reactions: HATI2ED and diabl0w

Juzman

May 4, 2011
Townsville
justynsmith.info
Seems I cannot remount /system_root as rw (to copy Emoji font over).

marlin://system_root/system/fonts # mount -o remount,rw /system_root
mount: '/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system_a'->'/system_root': Device or resource busy

Edit: Nevermind, used Solid Explorer and granted it SuperUser and seemed to work. Strange.

Last edited:

jamiejames

May 14, 2015
Does anyone have the stock boot.img for the pixel xl? I don't have the data to download the full factory image.

Last edited:

marc.ientilucci

Dec 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
www.starvingmarc.com
can someonone please post the exact steps they are using?

I just unlocked my bootloader. then tried flashing the root-boot img file, it did the reboots, but when i complete android setup, theres no SuperSU and if i install the .apk, it still does not detect root...

just reflashed stock boot.img, locked and unlocked bootloader. waiting for instrustion.

thanks!

Reactions: KrombopulosMichael

lexcyn

Apr 4, 2010
Sudbury
can someonone please post the exact steps they are using?

I just unlocked my bootloader. then tried flashing the root-boot img file, it did the reboots, but when i complete android setup, theres no SuperSU and if i install the .apk, it still does not detect root...

just reflashed stock boot.img, locked and unlocked bootloader. waiting for instrustion.

thanks!
fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

Reactions: KrombopulosMichael