• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROOT] SuperSU

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
This thread was originally for Pixel-specific rooting instructions, but by now the SuperSU ZIP and TWRP are fully supported:

- Fastboot boot TWRP
- Install latest SuperSU ZIP (v2.79-SR3 at the time of writing)

Note that at this time I recommend against fastboot flashing TWRP. With the Pixel's new partition layout, the recovery files are inside the boot partition, and so is SuperSU. If you flash both, SuperSU's internal boot image backup will not be of the original boot image, but of TWRP. This means that neither the 'full unroot' option in SuperSU, nor incremental OTA update through FlashFire, will work as expected.

OR

- Use CF-Auto-Root for Pixel (not released at the time of writing, but should be released soon)

Last edited:

lexcyn

Apr 4, 2010
Sudbury
Lol if you read chainfires instructions you would have e your answer,but it short no, not until they add it

chainfire said:
- If you want to use a custom kernel, simply 'fastboot boot' the root image again after flashing the custom kernel. This has been tested with a few custom kernels and found to work well so far.

It was a valid question since this flashing method is different than what we are used to due to the difference in partitions and the file system.

Reactions: HATI2ED and diabl0w

Juzman

May 4, 2011
Townsville
justynsmith.info
Seems I cannot remount /system_root as rw (to copy Emoji font over).

marlin://system_root/system/fonts # mount -o remount,rw /system_root
mount: '/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system_a'->'/system_root': Device or resource busy

Edit: Nevermind, used Solid Explorer and granted it SuperUser and seemed to work. Strange.

Last edited:

jamiejames

May 14, 2015
Does anyone have the stock boot.img for the pixel xl? I don't have the data to download the full factory image.

Last edited:

marc.ientilucci

Dec 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
www.starvingmarc.com
can someonone please post the exact steps they are using?

I just unlocked my bootloader. then tried flashing the root-boot img file, it did the reboots, but when i complete android setup, theres no SuperSU and if i install the .apk, it still does not detect root...

just reflashed stock boot.img, locked and unlocked bootloader. waiting for instrustion.

thanks!

Reactions: KrombopulosMichael

lexcyn

Apr 4, 2010
Sudbury
can someonone please post the exact steps they are using?

I just unlocked my bootloader. then tried flashing the root-boot img file, it did the reboots, but when i complete android setup, theres no SuperSU and if i install the .apk, it still does not detect root...

just reflashed stock boot.img, locked and unlocked bootloader. waiting for instrustion.

thanks!

fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

Reactions: KrombopulosMichael

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread was originally for Pixel-specific rooting instructions, but by now the SuperSU ZIP and TWRP are fully supported:

- Fastboot boot TWRP
    - Install latest SuperSU ZIP (v2.79-SR3 at the time of writing)

Note that at this time I recommend against fastboot flashing TWRP. With the Pixel's new partition layout, the recovery files are inside the boot partition, and so is SuperSU. If you flash both, SuperSU's internal boot image backup will not be of the original boot image, but of TWRP. This means that neither the 'full unroot' option in SuperSU, nor incremental OTA update through FlashFire, will work as expected.

OR

- Use CF-Auto-Root for Pixel (not released at the time of writing, but should be released soon)
    Chain fire was your tester able to verify if the system UI issue was fixed? Just curious I have yet to experience it my self and was just currently below 15%

Yes, the 15% issue is fixed. Release probably later today or tomorrow. Have some other bugs to fix as well.
    Fanboys just admit that the you can't install RC1 fresh and the op is misleads users to try that route. Dev gave instructions thant don't work. I think it was not tested, however, just flash twrp RC1 and SU5 and the dev assumed it world work. No problem, but many of us wasted hours trying to prove an assumption... Maybe we need SU6? Update: I forgot to say I was trying to root, too. So yes, I can install RC1 but can't root. Srry, dev and those I rubbed the wrong way. My bad.

The instructions worked at that release time (weeks ago), it's not my fault TWRP was updated a few days ago in an incompatible way. Nor is it Dees_Troy's fault - it's just how things turned out.

There will be an update to SuperSU to fix this. In the mean time, just use alpha2 instead of rc1.

Or, you could continue being a complete asshat, in which case, please get the hell out of my thread (and/or off my planet).