• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROOT] SuperSU

Search This thread

TheAltruistic

Dec 31, 2012
New York
What security patch are you guys on with? NDE63V/X/U? If so a lot of users on Chainfire's Google plus are reporting bootloops after trying to root. If you adb sideload the same November security patch it should remove root but allow you to boot android without having to reflash or format anything. (Assuming you're on stock everything else)

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
and what did the phone do
I was thinking of clearing the cache and trying to reboot but I don't think there's a way to clear the system cache with this via recovery

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

What security patch are you guys on with? NDE63V/X/U? If so a lot of users on Chainfire's Google plus are reporting bootloops after trying to root. If you adb sideload the same November security patch it should remove root but allow you to boot android without having to reflash or format anything. (Assuming you're on stock everything else)
X ...I haven't tried that I'll do it now

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
I was thinking of clearing the cache and trying to reboot but I don't think there's a way to clear the system cache with this via recovery

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

X ...I haven't tried that I'll do it now

flash full stock firmware, and factory reset, then make sure it boots

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

kirschdog1

Same issue here

Same here tell me I didnt brick my device after following countless developers show me how to side load an update?

Mine's too hung up on the bouncing dots and adb does not recognize the device anymore :(

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Now that I am stuck and adb doesnt seem to recognize my phone how do I flash an update to try and start over?
What other options do I have to get back up running?

I just flashed X and rooted without any issue...

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I just flashed X and rooted without any issue...
Why am I stuck here? I'm doing everything as I should . I can't get the phone to boot after rooting....I've waited almost 20 minutes or more

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Same here tell me I didnt brick my device after following countless developers show me how to side load an update?

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Now that I am stuck and adb doesnt seem to recognize my phone how do I flash an update to try and start over?
Flash stock image and don't root ....

Reactions: cam30era

n3far1us

Jun 28, 2015
Denver

Can't. Adb doesnt recognize the phone anymore. In fact when connected to computer, there's no notification or popup anymore either. It wont shut down or do anything, using combination of any and all keys. Built in battery, so cant take the battery out either.
So let it just sit and die bouncing?

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Can't. Adb doesnt recognize the phone anymore. In fact when connected to computer, there's no notification or popup anymore either. It wont shut down or do anything, using combination of any and all keys. Built in battery, so cant take the battery out either.
So let it just sit and die bouncing?
No you need to hold down power and volume down until you get to android guy with red ! Then hold power and press up volume...boot into bootloader and flash factory image

Reactions: cam30era

krypto1300

Jul 28, 2010
Why am I stuck here? I'm doing everything as I should . I can't get the phone to boot after rooting....I've waited almost 20 minutes or more

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Is everyone that is having problems rooting using the cable that came with the device? Just wondering...

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

OR just go back into recovery and install the Ota again and don't root

21cdb

Nov 7, 2011
So I downloaded the full X image (not the OTA) and flashed the whole thing. I then booted it up (unrooted) and set up my phone completely. At this point should it be safe to root? The last time I tried to root (after letting the phone download and install the OTA) I got stuck on the bouncing dots, that's why I reflashed the full image. I'd rather not blow away all my settings unless the consensus is that the root should work in my case.

n3far1us

Jun 28, 2015
Denver
No you need to hold down power and volume down until you get to android guy with red ! Then hold power and press up volume...boot into bootloader and flash factory image

Ok I did try that previously, but I did not hold on to it for long enough. This time it worked, so thanks! I am able to have adb recognize the phone now. Currently downloading 63x image as I only have 63L downloaded before. Will update as I go along. Will try sideloading 63X. Or would be ok to downgrade to 63L?

Is everyone that is having problems rooting using the cable that came with the device? Just wondering...

For me, yes. Don't have any other USB C at home, this is my first USB C device.

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
So I downloaded the full X image (not the OTA) and flashed the whole thing. I then booted it up (unrooted) and set up my phone completely. At this point should it be safe to root? The last time I tried to root (after letting the phone download and install the OTA) I got stuck on the bouncing dots, that's why I reflashed the full image. I'd rather not blow away all my settings unless the consensus is that the root should work in my case.
I wouldn't bother doing it now. There's a hand full of us that can't root after taking the OTA ...just gets hung up after rooting it. I would wait til there's a fix or flash image and immediately side load then root....still not sure that will work

ns218

Dec 21, 2013

I tried doing it this way as well, and it did not work, I even tried flashing V and it still did not work either.

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ok I did try that previously, but I did not hold on to it for long enough. This time it worked, so thanks! I am able to have adb recognize the phone now. Currently downloading 63x image as I only have 63L downloaded before. Will update as I go along. Will try sideloading 63X. Or would be ok to downgrade to 63L?

For me, yes. Don't have any other USB C at home, this is my first USB C device.
You can't downgrade the OTA you'd have to downgrade the whole image

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread was originally for Pixel-specific rooting instructions, but by now the SuperSU ZIP and TWRP are fully supported:

- Fastboot boot TWRP
    - Install latest SuperSU ZIP (v2.79-SR3 at the time of writing)

Note that at this time I recommend against fastboot flashing TWRP. With the Pixel's new partition layout, the recovery files are inside the boot partition, and so is SuperSU. If you flash both, SuperSU's internal boot image backup will not be of the original boot image, but of TWRP. This means that neither the 'full unroot' option in SuperSU, nor incremental OTA update through FlashFire, will work as expected.

OR

- Use CF-Auto-Root for Pixel (not released at the time of writing, but should be released soon)
    Chain fire was your tester able to verify if the system UI issue was fixed? Just curious I have yet to experience it my self and was just currently below 15%

Yes, the 15% issue is fixed. Release probably later today or tomorrow. Have some other bugs to fix as well.
    Fanboys just admit that the you can't install RC1 fresh and the op is misleads users to try that route. Dev gave instructions thant don't work. I think it was not tested, however, just flash twrp RC1 and SU5 and the dev assumed it world work. No problem, but many of us wasted hours trying to prove an assumption... Maybe we need SU6? Update: I forgot to say I was trying to root, too. So yes, I can install RC1 but can't root. Srry, dev and those I rubbed the wrong way. My bad.

The instructions worked at that release time (weeks ago), it's not my fault TWRP was updated a few days ago in an incompatible way. Nor is it Dees_Troy's fault - it's just how things turned out.

There will be an update to SuperSU to fix this. In the mean time, just use alpha2 instead of rc1.

Or, you could continue being a complete asshat, in which case, please get the hell out of my thread (and/or off my planet).