The Infinix S4 alias Infinix X626 has been with us for some time now and brings some cool features for a budget phone. In brief, it features an Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 Helio P22 Mediatek MT6762 chipset, 4000mAH battery, 32+3/64+6 ROM and RAM combination, 13 MP + 8 MP + 2 MP triple rear camera setup, 32 MP front-facing AI camera, Fingerprint scanner, Android Pie 9.0 among others. You get all these features at a budget cost.
Usually, there is not much you can do with the stock firmware that comes with the phone unless you get a means to customize the device. The ultimate customization for the Android OS is achievable when you get root privileges for your device. However, getting rooted has not been easy especially with the advancement of Android as most of the tools that were popular in rooting are no longer viable.
This brings us to the TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project) that is the go-to tool when you need to root your device, flash custom Roms and apply customizations on the go. Not all devices are supported by default and for such devices, porting becomes the only alternative. The Infinix S4 users are lucky since I have managed to compile a working TWRP 3.3.1-0 based on Android Pie and all features are working as expected including adb, sdcard, wiping, backup, sideload, resizing partitions, restore and more.
What's new in TWRP 3.3.1-0:
- Fix SELinux issues during formatting - dianlujitao
- Various fixes for toybox and toolbox builds - CaptainThrowback and bigbiff
- Flash both A and B partitions when installing a recovery ramdisk - Dees_Troy
- Add option to uninstall TWRP app from /system - Dees_Troy
- Create digest for subpartitions - bigbiff
Getting Started With TWRP For Infinix S4
The main requirement before you can have this recovery on your Infinix X626 is that the bootloader MUST be unlocked. In addition, make sure you have ADB and FASTBOOT set up correctly on your PC.
NB: Am not responsible for any mishap that may happen by following this guide as you do this at your own risk. As for me, I have managed to use this guide on my device successfully by following the steps correctly.
- Download the TWRP_3.3.1-0_Infinix-X626_DEnnisMUrimi.img recovery
- Boot your device into fastboot mode (Power + Volume Down)
- In the directory containing the recovery you downloaded, open up a command prompt and run this command
[B][I]fastboot flash recovery TWRP_3.3.1-0_Infinix-X626_DEnnisMUrimi.img[/I][/B]
- Once that is done, boot into recovery (Power + Volume Up) to confirm that you have successfully flashed TWRP on your Infinix S4
- In case you are asked for the password to decrypt your device, just ignore that step, go to the Wipe Menu and Format Data. This process will wipe all your data so make a point of backing up your important data.
How To Root Infinix S4 (X626/B)
Now that you have successfully set up TWRP on your S4, it is time to get rooted in just a few steps. The best method to get root is by using the now popular Magisk tool that is capable of systemless root.
- Download Magisk ZIP and place in your sdcard if you are not familiar with sideloading .zip files in TWRP
- Boot into TWRP and navigate to the Install Menu
- Navigate to the directory containing the Magisk zip you downloaded and confirm to flash it
- Be patient as the rooting process happens and Reboot System when you are directed to
Once the device has booted you will find the Magisk Manager app in your app drawer and that will mean that you have successfully rooted your Infinix S4. Now you can do all the tweaks and customizations that you have in mind.
As usual, comment if you have a question or comment regarding TWRP for Infinix S4 or how to root. Happy rooting!
TWRP FOR INFINIX S4, Tool/Utility for the Android General
Source Code: https://github.com/dmurimi14/android_device_Infinix_X626
Current Stable Version: 1.0
Stable Release Date: 2019-07-25
Last Updated 2019-08-17
26.2 KB Views: 152
23.2 KB Views: 145
31.3 KB Views: 142
25.4 KB Views: 132