• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT/TWRP] Asus Zenfone Go ZC500TG/Z00VD

Search This thread

fcarminato

Sep 17, 2014
Sao Paulo
I am using this model. Currently for the last month I have been using infinix hot 2 rom which is purely stock AOSP lollipop rom. And as for , moving apps to sd card, I use apps2sd . I am extremely satisfied with the infinix rom and find no reason for going back to stupid asus rom full of bloat wares and useless apps.

Hey, you mean It´s possible to flash the infinix hot 2 rom into the asus zenfone go zc500tg?

Please, I need this, maybe this could be my last chance to make the **** gps works. I´m stucked with this crazy bug gps , it simply can´t fix, even when it fix satellites it goes crazy , no precision, waze and google maps can´t establish a route and so on.

Feb 25, 2016
Kolkata

do you mean the infinix rom has lots of bugs??

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Hey, you mean It´s possible to flash the infinix hot 2 rom into the asus zenfone go zc500tg?

Please, I need this, maybe this could be my last chance to make the **** gps works. I´m stucked with this crazy bug gps , it simply can´t fix, even when it fix satellites it goes crazy , no precision, waze and google maps can´t establish a route and so on.
hey here's the link to download the infinix hot 2 rom.
https://yadi.sk/d/1Y4faxLooYnQQ

It's absolutely stock AOSP lollipop rom. Flash through twrp . Clear data,system,cache,dalvik cache before flashing.

clubdcfdtl

Feb 19, 2015

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

hey here's the link to download the infinix hot 2 rom.
https://yadi.sk/d/1Y4faxLooYnQQ

It's absolutely stock AOSP lollipop rom. Flash through twrp . Clear data,system,cache,dalvik cache before flashing.

wait, are this rom are have full memory internal? can you show me a screenshot?

Also, are this room will delete my imei? On my zenfone go?

Last edited:

anyell

Jan 7, 2015
I am using this model. Currently for the last month I have been using infinix hot 2 rom which is purely stock AOSP lollipop rom. And as for , moving apps to sd card, I use apps2sd . I am extremely satisfied with the infinix rom and find no reason for going back to stupid asus rom full of bloat wares and useless apps.

Yes. I read theres a lot of bugs, but i dont knkw if they fixed it already. Are you using it as a daily rom?

clubdcfdtl

Feb 19, 2015
i want to revert back to asus rom, since now i was using xui rom on my zenfone go. but when i try to using sp flash tool, i always get BROM ERROR : S_FT_DOWNLOAD_FAIL (2004)....

how to fix it? i want to bring back my original rom...

Feb 25, 2016
Kolkata

Yes. I read theres a lot of bugs, but i dont knkw if they fixed it already. Are you using it as a daily rom?

I am using it everyday for more than 2 months now... Yes, I use it for daily purpose and No, there is not a SINGLE bug in this rom.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

i want to revert back to asus rom, since now i was using xui rom on my zenfone go. but when i try to using sp flash tool, i always get BROM ERROR : S_FT_DOWNLOAD_FAIL (2004)....

how to fix it? i want to bring back my original rom...

Is your phone rooted and twrp installed? If so, then you can flash the .36 version of the stock rom through the twrp...

clubdcfdtl

Feb 19, 2015

Yami Kiyama

Jun 16, 2016
Hello everyone finally i have rooted when update V12.1.0.47 firmware. If u want rooted follow my step !

First u need download V12.1.0.36 firmware from:
Code:
asus.com/support/Download/39/2/0/11/JwN0tc2RjbiJ0WId/32/
(i can't post link)

- put this into Sdcard (u must rename "update.zip", or other... because u don't rename Phone have detected update and notification, but this nope problem)
- go to recovery (power + vol up button) and choose "apply update from sdcard" - choose this file.
- wait system update.
- now u have got V12.1.0.36 firmware on phone and u have "OEM unlock" option.

Next step u need unlock phone (turn on "OEM unlock" and "USB debug..") follow this thread to 2 - i step (successful unlock).

Now your phone format factory and u need check new update from phone (OTA), this will download update (~50MB) to upgrade V12.1.0.47 (don't worry).

- wait system update to V12.1.0.47
- when update successful u need do step 3 - 4 follow thread.

my phone rooted this method xD

Sr my bad English xD

Ricardo Guariento

Feb 28, 2012
Mogi Mirim - SP
Hello everyone finally i have rooted when update V12.1.0.47 firmware. If u want rooted follow my step !

First u need download V12.1.0.36 firmware from:
Code:
asus.com/support/Download/39/2/0/11/JwN0tc2RjbiJ0WId/32/
(i can't post link)

- put this into Sdcard (u must rename "update.zip", or other... because u don't rename Phone have detected update and notification, but this nope problem)
- go to recovery (power + vol up button) and choose "apply update from sdcard" - choose this file.
- wait system update.
- now u have got V12.1.0.36 firmware on phone and u have "OEM unlock" option.

Next step u need unlock phone (turn on "OEM unlock" and "USB debug..") follow this thread to 2 - i step (successful unlock).

Now your phone format factory and u need check new update from phone (OTA), this will download update (~50MB) to upgrade V12.1.0.47 (don't worry).

- wait system update to V12.1.0.47
- when update successful u need do step 3 - 4 follow thread.

my phone rooted this method xD

Sr my bad English xD

I tried to do as you explained, I tapped on "Apply update from SDCard" but the stock Recovey didn't find the .zip file.
How did you do that?

Yami Kiyama

Jun 16, 2016
I tried to do as you explained, I tapped on "Apply update from SDCard" but the stock Recovey didn't find the .zip file.
How did you do that?

when i unlocked bootloader follow this step (during V12.1.0.36) and i go to system update (OTA) it download about ~55Mb and upgrade to V12.1.0.47 -> i do install TWRP and root step.

i think u need factory reset and flash to V12.1.0.36 -> do unlock -> update OTA to V12.1.0.47 -> install TWRP and root step follow me.

sr my bad English.

redder_black

Jun 26, 2016
Help !!! ;-; my phone is rooted and i tried to flash twrp through terminal emulator and i type this code

su
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6

and the recovery has been flashed so i turn off my phone and it didn't vibrate it supposed to vibrate i just shrug it off , so i tried going into recovery mode and theres no sign of life i got nervous, i tried to power on my phone still no sign's of life,no led,no vibration and i freaking realize that i type
dev/block/mmcblk0p6
It should be dev/block/mmcblk0p8
and the worse of it i flash it into little kernel ._. im so stupid
Any help will do
Thanks in advance
sorry for my bad english

4ld0u5

May 31, 2016
are you guys having issues with contacts disapearing, sudden restarts and battery draining fast, i installed a wakelock detector i saw a package that eats up juice fast, i cannot uninstall it because its a system app.

Aug 4, 2014
Impossible to root z00vd, so it seems

How to overcome the lack of an "OEM Unlock" option when trying to root "Asus Zenfone Go 2" (also called Asus Z00VD or Asus ZC500TG)
This summary mixes the ideas from this thread with ideas from elsewhere and attempts to present the methods in a way that is intelligible to non-programmers such as myself. It's the only method that worked for me after many frustrating attempts.

ARE YOU TRYING TO ROOT YOUR PHONE?

You may have been trying to root your phone by the following method
1. Unlock bootloader
2. Install the TWRP RECOVERY (by flashing "recovery.img")
3. Boot into RECOVERY and flash a zip file to give you root access in perpetuity!

WHAT YOU'VE BEEN TOLD DOESN'T WORK!
You've been told to enable "Developer Options" (which you did), then enable "USB Debugging" (which you did) and then to enable "OEM Unlock" (which you couldn't do because it just wasn't there!!)
You tried to unlock the bootloader anyway and to install the TWRP RECOVERY but it failed, every time!
You are relieved that your phone is intact at least and still operational!
You may have read some guy on the internet stating that if the "OEM Unlock" option isn't there then it's already enabled .... but by now you know that's just not true.

SO HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET THE "OEM UNLOCK" OPTION TO APPEAR ON YOUR PHONE?
There IS a way to get the option on your phone but it means downgrading the ROM to v36, because v36 has the "OEM Unlock" option that was removed from v47 (ask Asus why!!)
Don't worry, you can return to the v47 ROM later, after the BOOTLOADER has been unlocked.

ISN'T THERE AN EASIER WAY?
This whole 'downgrading then upgrading' process may seem time consuming but it's the only way I have found to unlock the BOOTLOADER and get root access to this phone if you got the phone with the v47 rom.
(or you upgraded to v47 before you realized it would screw up your chance to root the phone)

V36 VERSUS V47
v36 is genuine ASUS rom for this phone, it preceded v47 which you probably have on your phone if you are having this problem.
v47 is correctly called "WW-12.1.0.47" (the full name is "WW-12.1.0.47-20160404?").
v36 is correctly called "WW-12.1.0.36" (the full name is "WW-12.1.0.36 -20160226")
You will have to flash v36 onto your phone.

FLASHING v36 ROM
1 - The first thing to do is to download the v36 ROM from here
https://www.asus.com/support/Download/39/2/0/11/JwN0tc2RjbiJ0WId/32/
Make sure the OS in the first drop down menu is "android"
Open up the "firmware" section and the WW-12.1.0.36 rom will be the third one down, the size is 1.03 GBytes.
2 - The next thing to do is to copy the v36 rom onto your phone's external SD card.
3 - Save any important data from the phones internal storage just in case (after I flashed the v36 on my phone and it finally rebooted into the Android OS, I found that all my installed programs were intact and my settings had been kept. I didn't do any WIPING of data or partitions in RECOVERY mode, I just flashed the ROM so that's why the phones internal storage wasn't wiped I guess, but maybe you should back up anything important from the phones internal storage just in case).
BTW, flashing the ROM as I did, didn't erase anything from my external SD card, which I left in the phone during the whole process)
4 - Disconnect the wifi (so it won't be connected to the internet when it next boots into Android, and it won't be able to auto update)
5 - Go into your phones RECOVERY menu (this is the RECOVERY menu that was on the phone when you bought it, not to be confused with the TWRP RECOVERY menu that you will flash later)
To get into the RECOVERY menu in the following way ...................
a. Power off phone
b. Boot into BOOTLOADER mode by pressing and holding the VOLUME UP button then pressing and holding the power button.
Keep pressing both even after the phone vibrates into life, only take your fingers off when you see the bootloader screen (black screen with 5 short lines of writing).
c. Use the VOLUME UP button to move the pointer to RECOVERY (it's at the top of the list of RECOVERY, FASTBOOT and NORMAL). The VOLUME DOWN button does not move the pointer in this mode.
d. press the VOLUME DOWN button to activate your choice and this will take you from this menu into the RECOVERY menu (in the Bootloader menu context the VOLUME UP button is used to select options and the VOLUME DOWN button is used to activate your choice, just like the enter/return key in Windows)
e. If your phone doesn't enter the RECOVERY menu, but instead you just see a green Android icon and the word "no command" then it is not a problem, you can easily enter RECOVERY from this screen by holding down the power button and pressing the VOLUME UP button once (don't hold the VOLUME UP button, just press it once)

6- Flash the WW-12.1.0.36 rom in the recovery menu by selecting "apply update from SD card" then choosing the v36 rom you put on the sd card earlier (it is in the form of a ZIP file)
(in this Recovery menu context the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons are used to move the selection up and down the the POWER button is used to activate your choice)
7 - When the flashing is over, it will say the install is complete (bottom of screen), and you choose the option from the top "reboot the system"
8 - It will take a long time to reboot back into the Android OS, you will see the circular progress icon moving then you will see a message saying "preparing apps" - when it has prepared all the apps it will be done.
You can check that you really do have the v36 installed by going into "Settings>>About Phone" and scrolling down to the bottom, you should see "WW_Phone-12.1.0.36 -20160226" in the section "Build Number"
9 - Goto "Settings>>Developer Settings" and there you will see that the "OEM Unlock" option is switched on and that the "USB Debugging" option is also on. (you should already have activated Developer Mode by tapping 7 consecutive times on the last section, called "build number", of the "About Phone" part of SETTINGS. If Developer Mode is not activated, you won't be able to access "Developer Settings").
DO NOT CONNECT THE WIFI AT THIS STAGE.

WHAT TO DO AFTER FLASHING THE V36 ROM
You should be able to unlock your phone now using the widely reported method involving adb drivers and the fastboot utility.
If you successfully unlock the bootloader it WILL reformat the internal storage of the phone so be sure to backup any important data.
Rebooting after the unlock procedure will take a long time, it will be installing the ROM to factory defaults, all your personal settings will be gone.

DO NOT FLASH THE TWRP RECOVERY IMMEDIATELY AFTER UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER
Open your internet connection and allow the auto-update feature to update the OTA (this means it will upgrade v36 back to v47)
That process is quick, requiring a download of just 55 mb. Follow the onscreen instructions.
It means you will have v47 on your phone but the bootloader will remain unlocked, so you'll still be able to flash the TWRP recovery and then root the phone.

AFTER ROM V47 is UP AND RUNNING, ONLY THEN INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY AND FLASH THE ZIP TO GIVE YOU ROOT ACCESS
One you are rebooted back into the v47 OS you will need to re-enable DEVELOPER mode (not sure if this is essential but do it just to be safe - the same goes for re-enabling USB DEBUGGING, do that too just to be safe. Of course "OEM Unlock" will not be available but the bootloader is already unlocked)
Now you can follow the widely reported method of flashing TWRP recovery (involving adb drivers and the fastboot utility) and finally rooting your device.

THIS IS NOT EXACTLY THE METHOD I FOLLOWED
but it is the method I should have followed, that was recommended.
I installed TWRP recovery IMMEDIATELY AFTER unlocking the bootloader. which was not advised, though not fatal.
V36 installed again correctly and when the phone tried to automatically update the OTA to v47 it failed. The phone downloaded the update just fine and I followed the instructions. But after the download and after I followed the instructions, the phone rebooted into the TWRP recovery from which I chose to "Reboot System". It rebooted into the Android OS and the phone is fine but the OTA did not update and the option to update it has gone. The phone is rooted however and working perfectly.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE, NOT ME - YOU SHOULD VERIFY ANY METHOD YOU DECIDE ON
I welcome comments and feedback that may improve this method or highlight any errors it may contain, I did my best to make it accurate.
I am trying to "give back" by making this guide.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2014
I cannot find my OEM option on Devoloper options. Can someone help me?
What rom are you running?
Look at the "build number" section of "about phone" in "settings"
What does it say there?
It probably says "WW-12.1.0.47-20160404"

That would mean you have v47 and it does not allow you to enable "oem unlock", so it prevents you unlocking the bootloader, flashing the TWRP and rooting the phone. This rom was made that way.

If v47 is your rom then you need to downgrade to ROM v36 (full name - "WW_Phone-12.1.0.36 -20160226" ) which DOES have the option for "oem unlock". I have posted a guide on this above your original post.

But maybe that is not your problem?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First and all, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!*Credits goes to the devs of 4pda.ru for discovering this method and to Pedro Fortunato for sharing the link.
    REQUIREMENTS, PREREQUISITES
    Computer, Laptop will do.Asus Zenfone Go Unit - obviously :)
    Adb drivers -*https://mega.nz/#!2scCERxC!gbNd6tJcrUAkn4nv7kU2DBsnSEv8G6-GfZVVl9g97fI download this.
    ADB, Root file, Twrp - https://mega.nz/#!HtN03SCa!WxQJ3a33C0XkuE20qv0rYwvxcYrGxZtMk-4jQeL1ykU
    Methods
    1. PREPARE THE FILES ON YOUR COMPUTER AND PHONE
    a. On your computer, Install ADB drivers and extract the files on the given link. To Install the driver, extract the one given from the link and right click on android_winusb.inf and select install. Another way to install it is to download from adbdriver.com and download th ADB Driver Installer.​
    b. On your device enable developer option by tapping build number on about phone.​
    c. Go to Developer options - turn on Allow OEM Unlocking and Usb Debugging.​
    2. UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER
    a. Turn off your devices.​
    b. Press Volume up + power simultaneously to go to the bootloader​
    c. Use volume up to navigate and navigate to fastboot, select by pressing volume down​
    d. On your computer, go to the extracted file (the one i provided from mega.nz) and press shift + right click, the select open command window here.​
    e. Once on the command prompt type​
    fastboot devices​
    f. if your device appeared (denoted by serial number and device) type​
    fastboot oem unlock
    g. on your device, follow the on screen instruction, press volume up to agree on unlocking bootloader​
    NOTE THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR DEVICE SO MAKE SURE YOU ENSURE YOU BACKED UP
    h. Wait for it to return to fastboot mode.*Reboot. If you cant reboot it, reinsert battery and turn it on, it will now format your device. It will usually take time to boot so be patient.​
    i. Once booted go back to developer options again and enable oem unlock and usb debugging.​
    3. FLASHING TWRP RECOVERY
    Done with unlocking? Lets proceed to flashing TWRP RECOVERY.​
    [WARNING AGAIN: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. DOUBLE CHECK THE FILES, DOUBLE CHECK THE*COMMANDS THAT YOU TYPE]
    a. On your pc, again go to the extracted file, open the command prompt as instructed before and type this​
    adb reboot bootloader
    b. Your phone will restart to bootloader again, select fastboot again. Dont close the cmd.​
    c. On the command prompt type​
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    d. It will now flash the twrp. Ensure that the recovery is flashed correctly.​
    e. Reboot to recovery by holding volume up + down + power to shut it down without removing rom pc and by pressing vol up and power to boot to bootloader and selecting recovery.​
    f. IF YOU ARE NOW ON THE TWRP. CONGRATS. You have only one thing to do. Flash the root package.​
    4. FLASHING THE ROOT PACKAGE
    a. Boot your phone and copy the root package to your internal storage.​
    b.Reboot to TWRP Recovery, once there select install and browse for UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip you just copied, swipe to install. Then viola! YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED.​

AGAIN, I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE IF YOUR PHONE DIED, EXPLODED, ATE YOU OR COMMITTED SUICIDE. AGAIN AGAIN. ALL CREDITS GOES TO THE DEVS OF 4pda.ru especially Jemmini for the TWRP Recovery:):)
    First and all, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!*Credits goes to the devs of 4pda.ru for discovering this method and to Pedro Fortunato for sharing the link.
    REQUIREMENTS, PREREQUISITES
    Computer, Laptop will do.Asus Zenfone Go Unit - obviously :)
    Adb drivers -*https://mega.nz/#!2scCERxC!gbNd6tJcrUAkn4nv7kU2DBsnSEv8G6-GfZVVl9g97fI download this.
    ADB, Root file, Twrp - https://mega.nz/#!HtN03SCa!WxQJ3a33C0XkuE20qv0rYwvxcYrGxZtMk-4jQeL1ykU
    Methods
    1. PREPARE THE FILES ON YOUR COMPUTER AND PHONE
    a. On your computer, Install ADB drivers and extract the files on the given link. To Install the driver, extract the one given from the link and right click on android_winusb.inf and select install. Another way to install it is to download from adbdriver.com and download th ADB Driver Installer.​
    b. On your device enable developer option by tapping build number on about phone.​
    c. Go to Developer options - turn on Allow OEM Unlocking and Usb Debugging.​
    2. UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER
    a. Turn off your devices.​
    b. Press Volume up + power simultaneously to go to the bootloader​
    c. Use volume up to navigate and navigate to fastboot, select by pressing volume down​
    d. On your computer, go to the extracted file (the one i provided from mega.nz) and press shift + right click, the select open command window here.​
    e. Once on the command prompt type​
    fastboot devices​
    f. if your device appeared (denoted by serial number and device) type​
    fastboot oem unlock
    g. on your device, follow the on screen instruction, press volume up to agree on unlocking bootloader​
    NOTE THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR DEVICE SO MAKE SURE YOU ENSURE YOU BACKED UP
    h. Wait for it to return to fastboot mode.*Reboot. If you cant reboot it, reinsert battery and turn it on, it will now format your device. It will usually take time to boot so be patient.​
    i. Once booted go back to developer options again and enable oem unlock and usb debugging.​
    3. FLASHING TWRP RECOVERY
    Done with unlocking? Lets proceed to flashing TWRP RECOVERY.​
    [WARNING AGAIN: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. DOUBLE CHECK THE FILES, DOUBLE CHECK THE*COMMANDS THAT YOU TYPE]
    a. On your pc, again go to the extracted file, open the command prompt as instructed before and type this​
    adb reboot bootloader
    b. Your phone will restart to bootloader again, select fastboot again. Dont close the cmd.​
    c. On the command prompt type​
    d. It will now flash the twrp. Ensure that the recovery is flashed correctly.​
    e. Reboot to recovery by holding volume up + down + power to shut it down without removing rom pc and by pressing vol up and power to boot to bootloader and selecting recovery.​
    f. IF YOU ARE NOW ON THE TWRP. CONGRATS. You have only one thing to do. Flash the root package.​
    4. FLASHING THE ROOT PACKAGE
    a. Boot your phone and copy the root package to your internal storage.​
    b.Reboot to TWRP Recovery, once there select install and browse for UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip you just copied, swipe to install. Then viola! YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED.​

AGAIN, I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE IF YOUR PHONE DIED, EXPLODED, ATE YOU OR COMMITTED SUICIDE. AGAIN AGAIN. ALL CREDITS GOES TO THE DEVS OF 4pda.ru especially Jemmini for the TWRP Recovery:):)
    Impossible to root z00vd, so it seems

How to overcome the lack of an "OEM Unlock" option when trying to root "Asus Zenfone Go 2" (also called Asus Z00VD or Asus ZC500TG)
    This summary mixes the ideas from this thread with ideas from elsewhere and attempts to present the methods in a way that is intelligible to non-programmers such as myself. It's the only method that worked for me after many frustrating attempts.

ARE YOU TRYING TO ROOT YOUR PHONE?

You may have been trying to root your phone by the following method
    1. Unlock bootloader
    2. Install the TWRP RECOVERY (by flashing "recovery.img")
    3. Boot into RECOVERY and flash a zip file to give you root access in perpetuity!

WHAT YOU'VE BEEN TOLD DOESN'T WORK!
    You've been told to enable "Developer Options" (which you did), then enable "USB Debugging" (which you did) and then to enable "OEM Unlock" (which you couldn't do because it just wasn't there!!)
    You tried to unlock the bootloader anyway and to install the TWRP RECOVERY but it failed, every time!
    You are relieved that your phone is intact at least and still operational!
    You may have read some guy on the internet stating that if the "OEM Unlock" option isn't there then it's already enabled .... but by now you know that's just not true.

SO HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET THE "OEM UNLOCK" OPTION TO APPEAR ON YOUR PHONE?
    There IS a way to get the option on your phone but it means downgrading the ROM to v36, because v36 has the "OEM Unlock" option that was removed from v47 (ask Asus why!!)
    Don't worry, you can return to the v47 ROM later, after the BOOTLOADER has been unlocked.

ISN'T THERE AN EASIER WAY?
    This whole 'downgrading then upgrading' process may seem time consuming but it's the only way I have found to unlock the BOOTLOADER and get root access to this phone if you got the phone with the v47 rom.
    (or you upgraded to v47 before you realized it would screw up your chance to root the phone)

V36 VERSUS V47
    v36 is genuine ASUS rom for this phone, it preceded v47 which you probably have on your phone if you are having this problem.
    v47 is correctly called "WW-12.1.0.47" (the full name is "WW-12.1.0.47-20160404?").
    v36 is correctly called "WW-12.1.0.36" (the full name is "WW-12.1.0.36 -20160226")
    You will have to flash v36 onto your phone.

FLASHING v36 ROM
    1 - The first thing to do is to download the v36 ROM from here
    https://www.asus.com/support/Download/39/2/0/11/JwN0tc2RjbiJ0WId/32/
    Make sure the OS in the first drop down menu is "android"
    Open up the "firmware" section and the WW-12.1.0.36 rom will be the third one down, the size is 1.03 GBytes.
    2 - The next thing to do is to copy the v36 rom onto your phone's external SD card.
    3 - Save any important data from the phones internal storage just in case (after I flashed the v36 on my phone and it finally rebooted into the Android OS, I found that all my installed programs were intact and my settings had been kept. I didn't do any WIPING of data or partitions in RECOVERY mode, I just flashed the ROM so that's why the phones internal storage wasn't wiped I guess, but maybe you should back up anything important from the phones internal storage just in case).
    BTW, flashing the ROM as I did, didn't erase anything from my external SD card, which I left in the phone during the whole process)
    4 - Disconnect the wifi (so it won't be connected to the internet when it next boots into Android, and it won't be able to auto update)
    5 - Go into your phones RECOVERY menu (this is the RECOVERY menu that was on the phone when you bought it, not to be confused with the TWRP RECOVERY menu that you will flash later)
    To get into the RECOVERY menu in the following way ...................
    a. Power off phone
    b. Boot into BOOTLOADER mode by pressing and holding the VOLUME UP button then pressing and holding the power button.
    Keep pressing both even after the phone vibrates into life, only take your fingers off when you see the bootloader screen (black screen with 5 short lines of writing).
    c. Use the VOLUME UP button to move the pointer to RECOVERY (it's at the top of the list of RECOVERY, FASTBOOT and NORMAL). The VOLUME DOWN button does not move the pointer in this mode.
    d. press the VOLUME DOWN button to activate your choice and this will take you from this menu into the RECOVERY menu (in the Bootloader menu context the VOLUME UP button is used to select options and the VOLUME DOWN button is used to activate your choice, just like the enter/return key in Windows)
    e. If your phone doesn't enter the RECOVERY menu, but instead you just see a green Android icon and the word "no command" then it is not a problem, you can easily enter RECOVERY from this screen by holding down the power button and pressing the VOLUME UP button once (don't hold the VOLUME UP button, just press it once)

6- Flash the WW-12.1.0.36 rom in the recovery menu by selecting "apply update from SD card" then choosing the v36 rom you put on the sd card earlier (it is in the form of a ZIP file)
    (in this Recovery menu context the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons are used to move the selection up and down the the POWER button is used to activate your choice)
    7 - When the flashing is over, it will say the install is complete (bottom of screen), and you choose the option from the top "reboot the system"
    8 - It will take a long time to reboot back into the Android OS, you will see the circular progress icon moving then you will see a message saying "preparing apps" - when it has prepared all the apps it will be done.
    You can check that you really do have the v36 installed by going into "Settings>>About Phone" and scrolling down to the bottom, you should see "WW_Phone-12.1.0.36 -20160226" in the section "Build Number"
    9 - Goto "Settings>>Developer Settings" and there you will see that the "OEM Unlock" option is switched on and that the "USB Debugging" option is also on. (you should already have activated Developer Mode by tapping 7 consecutive times on the last section, called "build number", of the "About Phone" part of SETTINGS. If Developer Mode is not activated, you won't be able to access "Developer Settings").
    DO NOT CONNECT THE WIFI AT THIS STAGE.

WHAT TO DO AFTER FLASHING THE V36 ROM
    You should be able to unlock your phone now using the widely reported method involving adb drivers and the fastboot utility.
    If you successfully unlock the bootloader it WILL reformat the internal storage of the phone so be sure to backup any important data.
    Rebooting after the unlock procedure will take a long time, it will be installing the ROM to factory defaults, all your personal settings will be gone.

DO NOT FLASH THE TWRP RECOVERY IMMEDIATELY AFTER UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER
    Open your internet connection and allow the auto-update feature to update the OTA (this means it will upgrade v36 back to v47)
    That process is quick, requiring a download of just 55 mb. Follow the onscreen instructions.
    It means you will have v47 on your phone but the bootloader will remain unlocked, so you'll still be able to flash the TWRP recovery and then root the phone.

AFTER ROM V47 is UP AND RUNNING, ONLY THEN INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY AND FLASH THE ZIP TO GIVE YOU ROOT ACCESS
    One you are rebooted back into the v47 OS you will need to re-enable DEVELOPER mode (not sure if this is essential but do it just to be safe - the same goes for re-enabling USB DEBUGGING, do that too just to be safe. Of course "OEM Unlock" will not be available but the bootloader is already unlocked)
    Now you can follow the widely reported method of flashing TWRP recovery (involving adb drivers and the fastboot utility) and finally rooting your device.

THIS IS NOT EXACTLY THE METHOD I FOLLOWED
    but it is the method I should have followed, that was recommended.
    I installed TWRP recovery IMMEDIATELY AFTER unlocking the bootloader. which was not advised, though not fatal.
    V36 installed again correctly and when the phone tried to automatically update the OTA to v47 it failed. The phone downloaded the update just fine and I followed the instructions. But after the download and after I followed the instructions, the phone rebooted into the TWRP recovery from which I chose to "Reboot System". It rebooted into the Android OS and the phone is fine but the OTA did not update and the option to update it has gone. The phone is rooted however and working perfectly.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE, NOT ME - YOU SHOULD VERIFY ANY METHOD YOU DECIDE ON
    I welcome comments and feedback that may improve this method or highlight any errors it may contain, I did my best to make it accurate.
    I am trying to "give back" by making this guide.
    May i ask about :
    - How to unroot ?
    - Uninstall TWRP completely ?
    - And Relock the oem bootloader ?

Thanks in advance
    For a complete removal of Root can be selected in the settings SuperSU select "Wipe Root".
    Either sew through fastbut stock image systems
    Code:
    fastboot flash system system.img
    To return stock Recovery
    Code:

Lock the boot, too, from the command line
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    @GioKupreishvili @Neelo @taitony @Pascaleiro I have solved the issue, and successfully unlocked my bootloader. I will explain how to right below. Skip to "The Solution".

The Issue :

Even if you downgrade to v36 and tick "Allow OEM Unlock", some devices might not accept the command "fastboot oem unlock". That's because newer releases locked the option, and just downgrading the ROM won't allow you to do so.

If you get

Code:
    FAILED(remote:unknown command)

This post is right for you.

Also, if your phone is dead (just won't turn on, or stuck on bootloop) for any reason, scroll down to "I screwed up".

What we will do :

We are going to use SP Flash Tools to downgrade your phone even more. I don't exactly know what we are downgrading, I suppose our bootloader itself, but I might be wrong. Fact is, we will flash older versions of system partitions and I don't know how to get back to the newer ones (you should backup all your partitions, but without an unlocked bootloader I don't know how to do it, but it's probably possible. If you get img files of the partitions we will flash, do tell me!).

Note that this method also works if you screwed up your recovery (like I did, trying to flash via adb without having unlocked the bootloader)

I did this over a v36 firmware, but the kernel is for a v25. I haven't encountered issues so far, but flashing v25 might be wiser.

You might screw up your phone. It's no big deal, SP Flash Tools can always fix it up, but be sure to not be in a hurry and to not have important data on the phone before starting.

The Solution :
    We will use SP Flash Tools. Proceed to download it and to get the right drivers (I used the generic device drivers bundled with adb, make sure your phone is detected with "fastboot devices"). You will also need the compiled v25 kernel (actually it's more than just the kernel, but whatever) from ASUS web page (not the source code, the only image of 1GB. Name is "Versione V12.1.0.25". Direct Link ). Inside you will find a scatter file (MT6580_Android_scatter.txt) and a ****ton of partitions.
    Load the scatter, it may take some time. You will then see all the partitions you can flash.
    I ticked :
    Code:
    preloader
    lk
    boot
    recovery
    logo
    secro
    However, you might not need to flash them all to succeed on this method (try flashing one by one, and keep me updated on which actually made a difference, if you would be so kind).
    Flashing recovery will get you back the stock recovery if you messed up.
    Turn off your phone (and make sure it really is off, waiting 10-20 secs after screen off usually is enough).
    Press "Download" on SP flash tools.
    Hold Volume Down on your phone and connect it.
    SP Flash Tools should recognize it and start flashing.
    When all is done, just get to fastboot and do "oem unlock". It should do the trick.
    Note that it will wipe user data.

"I Screwed Up" :
    In case you encounter issues, be it because of this method or any other, SP Flash Tools can save your phone.
    If your Zenfone doesn't turn on, and seems completely dead after fastboot oem unlock (or anything else you tried on him), just get back the v25 kernel and Flash Every Partition. Start SP Flash Tools, go to the Download tab, load the scatter file, check every partition, click "Download", only now connect the phone keeping pressed power and volume down. Download should start and when it's done phone will be as new.
    In case of bootloop it should also do the trick.
    Note that reflashing everything will bring your phone back to 100% stock, also relocking the bootloader (I'm quite sure of this but can't confirm, correct me if I'm wrong).
    If you kill your zenfone with fastboot oem unlock just start over, this time try slightly different steps (like flashing a recovery right after unlock, or reboot before, or before unlocking letting the stock firmware setup, your imagination is the limit. I did it once and can't provide a 100% safe method. Use "fastboot getvar unlocked" to check with every step if bootloader is unlocked, might help). Sooner or later you should succeed. If nothing goes right, you can always go back with SP Flash Tools.