[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jma9454

Apr 11, 2012
Seattle
Re: [Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12)

So ive heard that the newest version of stock (6.3.2) that that update breaks root? Know if this will be updated?

I don't think anything will happen with kfu, but Ichigo is working on uploading a rooted 6.3.2, if that helps.
I can provide a rooted stock ROM of 6.3.2(also an ALT ROM) if you guys really want. It won't be MoDaCo, but it'll do.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

Xeddicus

Nov 20, 2011
Outside of a driver issue and meaningless install issue KFU removed the root checker in 6.3.2 and everything is fine. Here's exactly how it went:

Had already rooted and installed FFF/TWRP/SU before the update broke root.

KFU installed FFF again, TWRP again, Fire booted into TWRP and got stuck, I ran the install_driver bat, that killed ADB totally/couldn't see the device, unplugged the Fire, rebooted out of TWRP, removed the ADB interface drivers under Android Phone in device manager, plugged Fire back in and it installed default driver on its own, ran KFU, everything worked (removed root checker) but trying to install Superuser failed since the system was running, but already had it installed anyway.

Last edited:

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
I just got a second-hand KF (factory reset) with 6.3.2 loaded on it. The drivers with 0.9.6 load fine on Win7 64-bit. Everytime I try to run something from the 0.9.6 utility, I either get "unable to locate your KF" or simply "waiting for device." The KF itself never responds to anything, only sits at the screen with the USB disconnect button. I've rebooted the device a time or two while the utility was "waiting," but still no go.

With 0.9.5, when I try the perm root/su install, the utility says activating fastboot, adb server is out of date, killing, *daemon started successfully*, then it just sits there, never going past that point.

I noticed just in the past day, someone questioned whether 6.3.2 would break root... is it not friendly with KFU at all now? If it is, I'd appreciate any tips on how to get this working. Essentially, all I want to do is get the Play market running on this thing. I got the apk from this thread... xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38805766, but it seems I need Google framework installed before I can add an account to the Play app (?). Thanks in advance.

Xeddicus

Nov 20, 2011
See my post above (I had typod the version number before, oops...). Though I already had the files needed installed, so you may hit an issue with Superuser. It worked to re-root my 6.3.2.

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
I tried removing the drivers that came with the utility as you did Xeddicus, using the native drivers, and still nothing. For some reason, it's just not seeing my device. The drivers are there, the KF says it's ready for file transfers, everything looks good in device manager, but no go. ADB status mostly shows offline, once in a while shows online with unknown for boot status, and once in a great while shows online with 4000 for boot status. When it does, I try to perm root, but by the time that gets going, it says it can't see the device again. ???

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Re: [Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12)

I tried removing the drivers that came with the utility as you did Xeddicus, using the native drivers, and still nothing. For some reason, it's just not seeing my device. The drivers are there, the KF says it's ready for file transfers, everything looks good in device manager, but no go. ADB status mostly shows offline, once in a while shows online with unknown for boot status, and once in a great while shows online with 4000 for boot status. When it does, I try to perm root, but by the time that gets going, it says it can't see the device again. ???
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179748

awidawad

New version of KFU

I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)
I would suggest using the report feature for this thread and making the Mods aware of the situation so they can unsticky it and maybe put yours in it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT use this on 2nd Generation Devices or you risk bricking your Device.

These procedures are for FIRST GENERATION Devices ONLY. In otherwords, for the ORIGINAL KF. If you proceed to use this on your 2nd Generation Device, and you BRICK it, don't complain. You have been warned.

This thread is also no longer maintained. A new Thread has been opened.

The new Thread

MD Moderator XDA

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool does:

• Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install CWM Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track. This issue was found and fixed using this post: Click me Over at Rootzwiki.

I make no claim that this tool is perfect, but I certainly will do my best to support it as long as people like it.

Here are some screen-shots of it:

kf_util_1.png

kf_util_2.png

kf_util_3.png

kf_util_4.png

kf_util_5.png

Credits goto:

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Downloads:

WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

Current Release

Version 0.9.6 = Click Here

Extras(Will auto download, only for manual install users)
    Apps.zip = Click Here (Place in a folder called apps)
    TWRP = Click Here (Place in a folder called recovery)

Old Releases

Version 0.9.5 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.4 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.3 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.2 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.1 = Click Here
    Version .9 = Click Here
    Version .8 = Click Here
    Version .7 = Click Here
    Version .6 = Click Here
    Version .5 = Click Here
    Version .4 = Click Here
    Version .3 = Click Here
    Version .2 = Click Here
    Version .1 = Click Here

Bug Fixes

Version 0.9.6 = Fixed the rooting issue of not installing superuser.apk. Oops!
    Version 0.9.6 = Updated the options of recoveries and the root processes.
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected Gapps installer, now works!
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected some installer issues with recoveries.
    Version 0.9.5 = Fixed the update not installing gapps correctly and crashing.
    Version 0.9.4 = Removed framework option as it confused people and really isn't used.
    Version 0.9.4 = Updated for amazon 6.3 update.
    Version 0.9.3 = Added option to load Burritoroots FireFireFire installer.
    Version 0.9.3 = Fixed to support latest BurritoRoot, sorry it took so long!
    Version 0.9.2 = Changed back to using the official TWRP download URL. They are allowing wget now.
    Version 0.9.2 = Rewrote TWRP installer to use a new method requiring zero user interaction. It should just work.
    Version 0.9.2 = New driver installer using the WDK install system. Should work perfect, every time.
    Version 0.9.1 = Fix TWRP download that Techerratta blocked. Hosting it myself for the moment.
    Version .9 = Minor fix in install drivers batch.
    Version .8 = Tried to make the TWRP installer a bit more verbose in telling people what to do.
    Version .8 = Fixed some issues with order of checking for root.
    Version .8 = Rewrote the driver installer to try to be a bit better and catch fastboot issues.
    Version .7 = Rewrote a lot of things to make them more user friendly and help the user know what is going on.
    Version .7 = Switched away from Zergrush to BurritoRoot
    Version .6 = Now pauses for users to finish the TWRP install before trying to bring it back to normal bootmode.
    Version .5 = Fixed my screwup of TWRP installer. My debug code was posted instead of real code ;( Sorry!
    Version .4 = Cleaned up a bit of code relating to zergRush, it now waits for ADB to come back online before continuing.
    Version .4 = Checks for files already downloaded so we don't waste bandwidth.
    Version .4 = Fixed the Fastboot loader command for TWRP, TWRP install should work better.
    Version .3 = Cleaned up a few areas, fixed a few issues that could revolve around ADB being out of date.
    Version .2 = Fixed issue with TWRP installer leaving the user in Fastboot instead of returning to Normal (4000).
    Version .1 = Initial Release.

New Features

Version 0.9.4 = Added a FireFireFire installer / updater per request!
    Version 0.9.4 = Added a CWM Installer per request!
    Version 0.9.2 = Setup an update system that allows me to change what users download the file from and what MD5 is legitimate so I can update packages.
    Version 0.9.2 = Added MD5 checking of all files downloaded for legitimacy.
    Version .9 = Added failsafe system to /system/
    Version .7 = Automatic BurritoRoot courtesy of Jcase of TeamAndIRC. Thanks man!
    Version .3 = New Driver installer. Just run install_drivers.bat before running the tool and all driver issues should be resolved. Could use some feedback on this.
    Version .3 = Added an extras menu with a few features to help people out!

Known Tricks

• If you end up stuck at the yellow triangle, in KF Utility select Boot Normal, wait for it to say <waiting for device> and then press and hold the power button 20 seconds until the fire turns off, then when its off turn it back on. This sometimes happens, I have yet to find a clean solution :(
    • If you end up stuck with a yellow triangle, do not EVER unplug it. Leave it plugged in. Check the windows drivers to make sure it isnt showing as "kindle" again. Fastboot is different and can cause this.

Need Live Help?

Kindle Fire IRC

Please visit there, and I may be able to help in person, if you are willing, I will even TeamViewer in to help! Rest assured, the chances of you actually bricking your kindle are very low, I or someone else can and would love to help. It helps us think of was to better handle things.
    I tries that in my device manager it says unknow device with yellow mark when i go to update driver it says the latest is already installed

Alright. Let me guide you through this...
    -Download the attachment I provide below and place it in somewhere you KNOW where you can find it easily. (I placed it in C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver(I would recommend doing the same))
    -Go to device manager
    -right click on the exclamation mark kindle.
    -Choose update driver software
    -choose browse my computer for driver software
    -choose let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    -Then select have disk
    -Then select browse
    -direct to where you downloaded the usb driver i attached
    -Select okay and okay

Download here
    you sir are incredible good job :)

I love the dev work that the kindle is getting. This thing will be 100% unlocked in no time with lots of great custom roms and kernels :D Makes me really happy as this is my first android device.
    New version of KFU

Kindle Fire Utility .7 released.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Notes:

• Exclusive support from jcase for this tool providing a custom BurritoRoot. Please Uninstall any old version you have on the fire.
    • Full support for rooting the Kindle permanently.
    • Easy TWRP installer from my TWRP tool is moved into here.

As usual, post any bugs or issues, or find me on IRC.