To Root and install TWRP WARNING: Rooting your phone may be dangerous.
Rooting a device may void the warranty on the device. It may also make the device unstable or if not done properly, may completely brick the device. XDA-Developers or the author does not take any responsibility for your device. Root at your own risk and only if you understand what you are doing!
This method should root your Samsung Galaxy A20 (A205xx) and install TWRP (all models except SM-A205U).
For A20s (A207) a root method has not yet been devised.
They are working on it here
1. On phone developer options in settings allow OEM unlocking and enable usb debugging by moving both
If you don't see the OEM unlock
-Disable Auto System Update
-Then disable Automatic date and time (Found in General Management) > then set the time back 14 days
-Go to software update then check for update and wait till it registers the device on server
-Once it's registered the OEM Unlock should be visible in the Developer Options
To Change to SkyHawk Recovery
1. download file https://mega.nz/file/AolzUJpR#ptySg13zpobaDZjagatNkDKQdnAgVPt2I_C2k-ecqPk
2. unzip img file
3. flash img file into Recovery slot from TWRP
4. reboot into TWRP
Boot & data will backup and restore but system is missing from the Sky hawk backup list
MTP works at the OS level and can be activated at the recovery level using the cloud icon in the mount section of Sky Hawk recovery.
1. Backup calls and texts using sms backup and restore .
2. Reboot into twrp.
3. Backup boot, data, system, vendor, product to sd card in case you want to go back to your current system
4. Wipe caches, data, system
5. Install Rom and your kernel
6. Format data (not just wipe) and then Install dmverity
7. Wipe caches. Don't reboot
8. Go to main menu. Select reboot. Select recovery
9. Reboot to system
10. Wait a long time (up to 10 minutes?)
Select your language
11. Restore data from smart switch or Google restore
Skip through setup and Restore data from twrp
12. Install Magisk if you want root
13. Install dmverity (in case step 8 didn't work)
If you need to install GApps
14. Wipe, advanced wipe
15. Select system, repair or change
16. Resize file system
17. Install GApps
To backup ROM before you go to a new system
Backup boot, data, system, product, vendor
Jumping between ROMs
I recently discovered that there is an easy way to jump from one ROM to another.
For example if you are on S20 Port6 and you want to jump to S10+ or to Stock.
You need to have backups that include Vendor because each of these runs with a different Vendor.
This isn't needed to jump from Port 6 to a GSI and back because GSIs are usually independent of Vendor.
To restore to a previous ROM
1. Wipe both caches, data & system
2. Restore boot, data, system & vendor.
3. flash Magisk uninstaller
If you want to run your current ROM with a kernel you had on a previous ROM just restore the boot (only) from the previous ROM. If you go from Magisk 20.4 back to Magisk 19.3 flash Magisk uninstaller first.
To Hide Root
Some apps don't work if your phone is rooted
Go to Magisk hide
Tick the app that won't work in root
a.-Resize system partition so you can install OpenGAPPS, go to wipe, advanced wipe, select system, select repair or change file system and select resize file system. If you get error 1 unmount and mount the system partition and try again
b. Install GApps
How to Overclock[/I]
Use a root explorer to
Cut and paste /system/priv-app/SamsungDeviceHealthManager on to a different folder. (In case you want to put it back later)
Reboot to recovery
Wipe caches Reboot
Use Hktweaks to set minimums to highest stable values and leave it running in the background.
A20 KERNEL COMPARISON ON ZROM V2
Minh 14.7 with Magisk 20.4
CPU 313 1059
GPU reverts to 1300 343
Eureka 3.0 with Magisk 20.3
CPU 282 997
GPU stays at 1300 1300
Install Magisk Uninstaller
Install Magisk 20.3
You can install Magisk 20.4 later
CPU 276 975
CPU 315 1099
Minh GPU fix
If you want the GPU to stay on your settings you need to apply this fix
Chmod 000 (use a root explorer to remove all ticks in properties)
This process must be repeated if you do.