Root/TWRP on new Xperia 5

Search This thread

RickyVaughn99

Oct 2, 2014
Dear community,

I'm not having deep knowledge about mobile costumization so far so please be patient if my questions seem a bit annoying ...

I'm planning to get a new xperia 5 and to get root access / TWRP running on it.
I've read these two threads:

TWRP
Root

So to my questions:
1. Are the above guides still functional for up-to-date devices ?
2. On my old Xperia XZ5 I was able to save the trim area - what about that when unlocking the bootloader on the Xperia 5 ?
3. If I'm doing anything wrong during the Root-Guide and my device gets bricked - will I be able to recover it again, for example via the Xperia companion ?
4. And finally - what is the "fastboot location" from the root guide ?

Best regards,

RV.

Edit: In case the "fastboot location" means the executable path I managed to find it (in my case) under "C:\adb". ;)
Edit 2: Regarding an eventually needed recovery, I'm guessing that something like
Code:
fastboot flash system /path/to/stockrom.img
should do the job ...

Last edited:

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
1. No TWRP for Devices with system-as-root
2. No Trim Area. DRMs get restored after relocking the Bootloader and flashing a Firmware with the Companion again. Approved and tested by myself btw.

Read My other Guides like the GSI ones for More...
You can start fastboot from a folder by holding shift while doing a right click on empty space in the folder ("open commandline here"). That ensures you can just type fastboot flash system system.img to flash the file from the selected folder...

Btw. TWRP dies out. Your best chance is Pixel Experience which gives you an pretty basic Recovery that is based on the Open Devices Sources. Alternative are Magisk Modules like my MARS_SOM if You want to flash around like back in the Days. Android 10+ is fort knox somehow. Bad Times for People like Me who did work with AROMA Installer and co

Last edited:

jackpotbox

Sep 19, 2011
1. No TWRP for Devices with system-as-root
2. No Trim Area. DRMs get restored after relocking the Bootloader and flashing a Firmware with the Companion again. Approved and tested by myself btw.

Read My other Guides like the GSI ones for More...
You can start fastboot from a folder by holding shift while doing a right click on empty space in the folder ("open commandline here"). That ensures you can just type fastboot flash system system.img to flash the file from the selected folder...

Btw. TWRP dies out. Your best chance is Pixel Experience which gives you an pretty basic Recovery that is based on the Open Devices Sources. Alternative are Magisk Modules like my MARS_SOM if You want to flash around like back in the Days. Android 10+ is fort knox somehow. Bad Times for People like Me who did work with AROMA Installer and co

Thanks for the info. What are you currently on? Rom or stock? If you're with rom, please what are you using at the moment?