[ROOT][UNROOT][CWM RECOVERY][STOCK KERNEL][STOCK RECOVERY] Google ADT-1 Android TV

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Hello All,

Root
If on stock, uprooted (ever), go to method 1. If not, keep reading.

Now, in the latest Molly CF-AutoRoot, it flashes a modified kernel to gain root that causes OTA updates (i.e. impending 5.0.1) to fail, this was due to the fact that until a couple days ago, the modified kernel was necessary. Chainfire found a way to fix it without modifying the kernel and implemented it in SuperSU 2.37. If you are rooted, used CF-Auto Root, and wish to retain root, but regain the stock kernel for OTA's, simply follow root method 2.

Method 1

To Root from stock LPX13D, Download the following attached files and place them on your desktop (important):
- CWR_MOLLY_LPDX13D.img
- UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip

1. Install ADB on your system using: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
2. Plug in your USB Keyboard to the back of your ADT-1
3. Enter the settings app on your ADT-1, go to "About" ==> "Build Number", and tap multiple times until it says "No need, you are already a developer. Exit this menu and you should now see a "Developer Options" menu, select it and check "Enable USB Debugging" and confirm your choice.
4. Go to Settings ==> Security, and check allow apps from unknown sources, confirm your choice.
5. (On PC) Plug in your ADT-1 and open a PowerShell (or CMD Prompt) and issue the command "Adb devices, and verify that your ADT-1 shows up as "device" and not "offline", if offline, reinstall ADB/Check your USB connection, then run "cd desktop"
6. Now run the command "adb reboot bootloader"
7. Run "Fastboot devices" to verify your ADT-1 is connected.
8. Here you have an option... if you want to be able to unroot and take OTA's, Run "Fastboot boot cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", as this will just boot CWM once, leaving the stock recovery in place or if you want a permanent custom recovery, run "fastboot flash recovery cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", but beware, no OTA's without stock recovery!
9. (On the ADT-1) Using your USB keyboard, use the down arrow key to select "install zips"
10. Select "Install Zip from sideload"
11. (On PC) run "adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip"
12. (On ADT-1) Select "**Go Back**"
13. Select "Reboot to system"
14. Select "No" when asked to restore Root, as this's feature does not work yet.
15. Profit!

Method 2

To Root from CF-auto rooted LPX13D and regain stock kernel (This will not restore Build.prop and other system changes!), Download the following attached files and place them on your desktop (important):

- CWR_MOLLY_LPDX13D.img
- stockbootlpx13d.img

1. Install ADB on your system using: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
3. Enter the settings app on your ADT-1, go to "About" ==> "Build Number", and tap multiple times until it says "No need, you are already a developer. Exit this menu and you should now see a "Developer Options" menu, select it and check "Enable USB Debugging" and confirm your choice.
4. Go to Settings ==> Security, and check allow apps from unknown sources, confirm your choice.
5. (On PC) Plug in your ADT-1 and open a PowerShell (or CMD Prompt) and issue the command "Adb devices", and verify that your ADT-1 shows up as "device" and not "offline", if offline, reinstall ADB/Check your USB connection, then run "cd desktop"
7. Run "Fastboot devices" to verify your ADT-1 is connected
8. Run "fastboot flash boot stockbootlpx13d.img"
9. Here you have an option... if you want to be able to unroot and take OTA's, Run "Fastboot boot cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", as this will just boot CWM once, leaving the stock recovery in place or if you want a permanent custom recovery, run "fastboot flash recovery cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", but beware, no OTA's without stock recovery! Then you must run "fastboot reboot recovery"
10. (On the ADT-1) Using your USB keyboard, use the down arrow key to select "install zips"
11. Select "Install Zip from sideload"
12. (On PC) run "adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip"
13. (On ADT-1) Select "**Go Back**"
14. Select "Reboot to system"
15. Select "No" when asked to restore Root, as this's feature doe snot work yet.
16. Profit!

Unroot

Requirements:
- stockbootlpx13d.img
- recovery.img

1. Enter the SuperSU app, and go to Settings ==> Full Uproot, and verify your choice. (Stop here if you didn't use CF-auto root)
2. Plug your ADT-1 into your PC and run the command "cd desktop", then "adb reboot bootloader", then "fastboot flash boot stockbootlpx13d.img"
3. Run "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
4. Then "fastboot reboot"
5. Un-Profit!

To take an OTA Update

If you followed this guide correctly, just unroot from within SuperSU as shown in Step 1. Of the unroot section. It will leave you 100% stock. Then take the OTA.

Downloads

Stock Boot Image LPX13D (stockbootlpx13d.img): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vayt67s513v9z8u/stockbootlpx13d.img?dl=0
Stock Recovery Image LPX13D (recovery.img): https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqu6lhuvzcz2rsu/recovery.img?dl=0
CWM Recovery Img (cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8evaum04mv843dp/cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img?dl=0
SuperSU 2.37.zip: http://download.chainfire.eu/636/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip

Optional: Install Leanback Launcher from here to allow launching sideloaded apps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher&hl=en

Happy Modding!

Credits:

Chainfire: The super amazing SuperSU, and the awesome CF-Auto Root, thank him!
GTAVHacker: Used CWM Recovery Image as a base, thank him!
Myself: Stock Images, and the guide.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Well, TWRP didn't have mouse/keyboard support last I checked. So I'll work with it. But Philz Touch recovery or cannibal open touch should be both cool and doable.

Edit: TWRP has mouse & keyboard support and is possible, but requires a bit more work than is worth it right now.

CWM also has iffy support for OTA's I am finding, hit or miss, try at your own risk.

CWM also has the ADB sideload ability...... that's how you have to flash the SuperSU mentioned in the OP

Last edited:

jscat1

Oct 25, 2007
I cant seem to get this to work. I tried using just the boot option and it just reboots into the bootloader. I tried the flash as well and recovery never boots. Any chance the problem is that this is for the ADT1 (molly) and not the Nexus Player (Fugu)?

zarthan

Dec 27, 2007
The title of the post indicates ADT-1. You need to make sure any modification you do is appropriate for the device you have. The ADT-1 uses and Android processor/chip set while the Nexus Player uses an Intel processor/chip set.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
if you guys could work on twrp that would be awesome, I plan on working on a rom with my kernel soon, for now check out my kernel and let me know how it runs in origin dev section

Thanks man. TWRP is actually gonna be more than it is worth. CWM should work just fine, it actually has better support for keyboard.

I'll mess with it. Did you build the kernel with the ADT-1 and x86 architecture in mind?

mknrls

Sep 12, 2013
Ottawa, ON
mknrls.com
if you guys could work on twrp that would be awesome, I plan on working on a rom with my kernel soon, for now check out my kernel and let me know how it runs in origin dev section

might work on getting twrp for for the adt-1 with mouse and keyboard support.
just received mine tuesday.

has anyone created repos for this device yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: pappingfandas

npjohnson

Recognized Developer

Haha. Sadly no. I had a partially working tree until gtvhacker posted a fully functional CWM. I gave up after that. You should pry ask him, if he gives you access could you shoot the links over to me? My partially working tree has been the only reason I haven't built CM yet. It fails mid way through compilation.

mknrls

Sep 12, 2013
Ottawa, ON
mknrls.com
Haha. Sadly no. I had a partially working tree until gtvhacker posted a fully functional CWM. I gave up after that. You should pry ask him, if he gives you access could you shoot the links over to me? My partially working tree has been the only reason I haven't built CM yet. It fails mid way through compilation.

im working on a new tree. open to anyone to contribute and add things. created a github organization for this purpose
https://github.com/adt1-dev
PS: im new to this and learning on the way.

Edit: are your sources on github?

Last edited:

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY

If you're referring to the builds I released on GTVHacker forums for CWM recovery on the ADT-1, I didn't build the kernel or use any Android TV or ADT-1 source (it wasn't even available when I had started). I just used generic CM Android 4.4, reused the kernel and fstab from the stock ADT-1 recovery, and made a few changes to the default generic BoardConfig.mk.

illuminerdi

May 6, 2011
Can someone direct me to a stock copy of a (full) build.prop from LRX22G? I think my build.prop is incorrect (long story, let's just say the LRX22G OTA did not go smoothly for me) and I want to just flush it and replace it with a "clean" one?

Thanks

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Can someone direct me to a stock copy of a (full) build.prop from LRX22G? I think my build.prop is incorrect (long story, let's just say the LRX22G OTA did not go smoothly for me) and I want to just flush it and replace it with a "clean" one?

Thanks
You can just download the factory image and extract it. Here is a little tutorial if you are unsure how to extract.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

Root
    If on stock, uprooted (ever), go to method 1. If not, keep reading.

Now, in the latest Molly CF-AutoRoot, it flashes a modified kernel to gain root that causes OTA updates (i.e. impending 5.0.1) to fail, this was due to the fact that until a couple days ago, the modified kernel was necessary. Chainfire found a way to fix it without modifying the kernel and implemented it in SuperSU 2.37. If you are rooted, used CF-Auto Root, and wish to retain root, but regain the stock kernel for OTA's, simply follow root method 2.

Method 1

To Root from stock LPX13D, Download the following attached files and place them on your desktop (important):
    - CWR_MOLLY_LPDX13D.img

5. (On PC) Plug in your ADT-1 and open a PowerShell (or CMD Prompt) and issue the command "Adb devices, and verify that your ADT-1 shows up as "device" and not "offline", if offline, reinstall ADB/Check your USB connection, then run "cd desktop"
    7. Run "Fastboot devices" to verify your ADT-1 is connected.
    8. Here you have an option... if you want to be able to unroot and take OTA's, Run "Fastboot boot cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", as this will just boot CWM once, leaving the stock recovery in place or if you want a permanent custom recovery, run "fastboot flash recovery cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", but beware, no OTA's without stock recovery!
    9. (On the ADT-1) Using your USB keyboard, use the down arrow key to select "install zips"
    10. Select "Install Zip from sideload"
    11. (On PC) run "adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip"
    12. (On ADT-1) Select "**Go Back**"
    13. Select "Reboot to system"
    14. Select "No" when asked to restore Root, as this's feature does not work yet.
    15. Profit!

Method 2

To Root from CF-auto rooted LPX13D and regain stock kernel (This will not restore Build.prop and other system changes!), Download the following attached files and place them on your desktop (important):

- CWR_MOLLY_LPDX13D.img
    - stockbootlpx13d.img

5. (On PC) Plug in your ADT-1 and open a PowerShell (or CMD Prompt) and issue the command "Adb devices", and verify that your ADT-1 shows up as "device" and not "offline", if offline, reinstall ADB/Check your USB connection, then run "cd desktop"
    7. Run "Fastboot devices" to verify your ADT-1 is connected
    8. Run "fastboot flash boot stockbootlpx13d.img"
    9. Here you have an option... if you want to be able to unroot and take OTA's, Run "Fastboot boot cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", as this will just boot CWM once, leaving the stock recovery in place or if you want a permanent custom recovery, run "fastboot flash recovery cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img", but beware, no OTA's without stock recovery! Then you must run "fastboot reboot recovery"
    10. (On the ADT-1) Using your USB keyboard, use the down arrow key to select "install zips"
    11. Select "Install Zip from sideload"
    12. (On PC) run "adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip"
    13. (On ADT-1) Select "**Go Back**"
    14. Select "Reboot to system"
    15. Select "No" when asked to restore Root, as this's feature doe snot work yet.
    16. Profit!

Unroot

Requirements:
    - stockbootlpx13d.img
    - recovery.img

1. Enter the SuperSU app, and go to Settings ==> Full Uproot, and verify your choice. (Stop here if you didn't use CF-auto root)
    2. Plug your ADT-1 into your PC and run the command "cd desktop", then "adb reboot bootloader", then "fastboot flash boot stockbootlpx13d.img"
    3. Run "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
    4. Then "fastboot reboot"
    5. Un-Profit!

To take an OTA Update

If you followed this guide correctly, just unroot from within SuperSU as shown in Step 1. Of the unroot section. It will leave you 100% stock. Then take the OTA.

Downloads

Stock Boot Image LPX13D (stockbootlpx13d.img): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vayt67s513v9z8u/stockbootlpx13d.img?dl=0
    Stock Recovery Image LPX13D (recovery.img): https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqu6lhuvzcz2rsu/recovery.img?dl=0
    CWM Recovery Img (cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8evaum04mv843dp/cwm_molly_recovery_lpx13d.img?dl=0
    SuperSU 2.37.zip: http://download.chainfire.eu/636/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.37.zip

Optional: Install Leanback Launcher from here to allow launching sideloaded apps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher&hl=en

Happy Modding!

Credits:

Chainfire: The super amazing SuperSU, and the awesome CF-Auto Root, thank him!
    GTAVHacker: Used CWM Recovery Image as a base, thank him!
    Myself: Stock Images, and the guide.
    Thanks for the link npjohnson. Unfortunately I have't gotten adb to work since I flashed the bad image. It is showing molly in my device manager under other devices like it has no drivers. I have tried installing the drivers again but no change. Is it possible that my adb isn't working because I flashed a bad image?

Is this the stock image you mentioned? http://coggy.euroskank.com/LatestADTSystem.zip I tried to flash the system.img from it but it gave me the error "target reported max download size of 577100 bytes Invalid sparse file format at header magi"

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

I think I have it guys. I flashed the stock boot then recovery and I just now got to the welcome screen! Man I thought this thing was dead thank you so much for the help!
    Glad you got it working again. Keep hold of the Stock image just in case you need it again.

Mark.
    Hoping someone can help me out. I fear I may have turned my adt-1 into a brick. I was in the process of rooting. I did the Fastboot boot process and my unit has been stuck on the android logo ever since. I went back and downloaded the image again and it is a different file size than the first one I flashed. I think I flashed a bad image. Now it will not recognize it as an adb device. Am I screwed?

Also tried holding down the button on the back but it just sits on the android logo.
    You haven't hard bricked it. You need to reboot directly to fastboot mode and flash the stock image back to your device. Even flashing just the system image should fix it so you could extract the system image from the stock file and then fastboot flash system system.img whilst in the fastboot screen.

Mark.
    Hi Mark thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I don't know how to get back to fastboot mode. It will no longer show up as an adb device. Is there another way to get into fastboot mode?
    Unplug and replug whilst holding the button on the back.