[ROOT] VZW Note 7

LRiley

Aug 3, 2010
First thanks to freeza and goonygugle
this is freezas method with a few adjustments from goonygugle and a little extra steps to get data on vzw

Files needed
You also need adb for this process if you dont already have it
Leaked Sprint Rom: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236681
Odin and verizon firmware, courtesy of Misterxtc
Sun7 Files: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236679 unzip this zip into a normal sun7 folder. Put the new sun7 folder into the folder that holds your adb file!

1) After downloading all the files unlock developer mode and enable usb debugging
2) Put the phone into download mode (vol-, Power, Home)
3) Connect the phone to the computer and open oden
4) Click AP and select the sprint file, wait for it to load and flash
5) The phone will reboot and go through a update process. when you get to a black screen force the phone into download mode again (for new settings menu allow first boot ~30mins then put into download mode)
6) Flash BL, CP and CSC in odin from the verizon firmware
7) After the flash it will be a long wait for first boot ~30mins (Can disconnect from computer)
8) You can skip setup. Go to settings and unlock developer options again and enable usb debugging
9) Plug the phone back in and don't forget to change from charging mode to file transfer
From freeza's post
10): Open a command prompt where your ADB executable and sun7 folder are.
11): Verify standard root access by typing "adb shell" then "su" If successful, type "exit" twice to get back to the command prompt.
12): Push the sun7 folder to your phone by typing "adb push sun7 /data/local/tmp/su"
13): Change permissions of contents in su to 777 by typing "adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/su/*"
14): Launch adb shell by typing "adb shell"
15): Change directory to su by typing "cd data" "cd local" "cd tmp" "cd su"
16): Gain standard root privileges by typing "su"
17): Execute the SU script by typing "./root.sh"
Phone will reboot and you will have root but this leaves verizon without access to data
18) You will need a root explorer
19) Download stock verizon apn settings https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7m9v49a2eytmid/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
if you want to use different carriers download nexus 6p apn settings(includes verizon apn) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqz3ps8xq492k8l/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
20) Copy the apns-conf to the phone
21) In a root explorer locate the apns-conf file you just transferred. Copy/Move it and navigate to system/etc
22) Delete that original apns-conf file in system/etc (contains sprint data info) and past the one you copied
23) Change the permissions to rw-r-r

24) Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/ and delete telephony.db
25) Reboot your phone and everything should be up and running

Now you have a Samsung stock Note 7 with the only thing from Verizon being the network!

Last edited:

LRiley

Aug 3, 2010
As of now stock messenger doesn't work for MMS, just use another messenger instead
Reboot requires any bluetooth devices to be paired again

Samsung cloud fix from jeffbob48
Here is the fix for samsung cloud https://mega.nz/#!v5JTFBwT!FAXwgY6VTGceerWJmt2pQ0xQEh07yiNw4AxNCPnAv10

1. Download zip and unzip it to storage of phone ( Do Not Flash... this zip cannot be flashed in any way)
2. copy file from zip to /system/omc/VZW
3. make sure it overwrites the old files
4.check to make sure that the permissions of all the files are rw- r-- r--
5. etc folder does not need to be changed, do not touch anything in etc folder
6. after you set the permissions reboot the phone
7. go check settings for samsung cloud now

Any donations would be much appreciated lol i worked really hard on fixing this for you guys and i have more fixes to come

Last edited:

azradiohead

Jun 6, 2010
Does this affect or trip Knox? Can you still use Samsung Pay and other Knox reliant apps when Rooted? The last Samsung I had was a Galaxy S3 and it was rooted long before Verizon enabled the Knox 'feature'.

MrBaltazar

Oct 28, 2014
Seattle
Does this affect or trip Knox? Can you still use Samsung Pay and other Knox reliant apps when Rooted? The last Samsung I had was a Galaxy S3 and it was rooted long before Verizon enabled the Knox 'feature'.
Does not trip knox. NO you cannot use Android Pay or Samsung Pay if rooted. Same with other apps such as Playstation Vue, Snapchat, etc.

AstonsAndroid

Jan 13, 2015
Cypress
Verizon SM-N930V Root Verified

First thanks to freeza and goonygugle
this is freezas method with a few adjustments from goonygugle and a little extra steps to get data on vzw

Files needed
You also need adb for this process if you dont already have it
Leaked Sprint Rom: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236681
Odin and verizon firmware, courtesy of Misterxtc
Sun7 Files: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236679 unzip this zip into a normal sun7 folder. Put the new sun7 folder into the folder that holds your adb file!

1) After downloading all the files unlock developer mode and enable usb debugging
2) Put the phone into download mode (vol-, Power, Home)
3) Connect the phone to the computer and open oden
4) Click AP and select the sprint file, wait for it to load and flash
5) The phone will reboot and go through a update process. when you get to a black screen force the phone into download mode again
6) Flash BL, CP and CSC (I've dont it with and without the pit file) in odin from the verizon firmware
7) After the flash it will be a long wait for first boot ~30mins (Can disconnect from computer)
8) You can skip setup. Go to settings and unlock developer options again and enable usb debugging
9) Plug the phone back in and don't forget to change from charging mode to file transfer
From freeza's post
10): Open a command prompt where your ADB executable and sun7 folder are.
11): Verify standard root access by typing "adb shell" then "su" If successful, type "exit" twice to get back to the command prompt.
12): Push the sun7 folder to your phone by typing "adb push sun7 /data/local/tmp/su"
13): Change permissions of contents in su to 777 by typing "adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/su/*"
14): Launch adb shell by typing "adb shell"
15): Change directory to su by typing "cd data" "cd local" "cd tmp" "cd su"
16): Gain standard root privileges by typing "su"
17): Execute the SU script by typing "./root.sh"
Phone will reboot and you will have root but this leaves verizon without access to data
18) You will need a root explorer
19) Download verizon apn settings https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934521717
20) Extract that file and go to vzw-APNfix>system>etc and copy the apns-conf to the phone
21) In a root explorer locate the apns-conf file you just transferred. Copy/Move it and navigate to system/etc
22) Delete that original apns-conf file in system/etc (contains sprint data info) and past the one you copied
23) Change the permissions to rw-r-r
24) Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/ and delete telephony.db
25) Reboot your phone and everything should be up and running

Now you have a Samsung stock Note 7 with the only thing from Verizon being the network!
I can verify this works.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjrmax403

AstonsAndroid

Jan 13, 2015
Cypress
Just the CSC file after the AP, or did you do all three?
I only had to flash the VZW CSC immediately after the Sprint AP by holding "volume down+Home" during the Sprint Odin reboot, then add VZW CSC.

After which you will boot up on Verizon network with a Vanilla Note 7. No Verizon bloat! Follow the ADB Root instructions in this thread and be happy!

LRiley

Aug 3, 2010
I came to the same place by flashing Verizon CSC immediately after the Sprint AP. I did not allow startup in between. Everything booted up on Verizon without activation or additional work. I can verify this works.
can you edit apn settings?
can you activate wi-fi calling?
can you go into Privacy and emergency>emergency alerts?

Cbass15

Mar 4, 2012
Franklin, OH
Will the 2 ever co-exist? Will there ever be root and Android/Samsung Pay that work together?
I highly doubt it. I honestly wouldn't want it to work with root for security reasons. When you root your device it's open to all kinds of unsecured flaws. I don't know about you but I'm not putting my bank card information on a rooted device. ?

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

@LRiley thanks man. Got everything working! Thanks for the help with adb earlier ?

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk