[ROOT] VZW Note 7

Search This thread

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Many thanks sir!!!!! verizon repair assistant not only unbricked my phone, but it also removed the 60% charging restriction!!! I just need to figure out a way to stop it from happening again

lucky you lol.. you must still be on phe.. they probably dont have the latest update on their servers

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
Reactions: Tmunroe1

everychicken

Nov 8, 2016
Many thanks sir!!!!! verizon repair assistant not only unbricked my phone, but it also removed the 60% charging restriction!!! I just need to figure out a way to stop it from happening again
]]

Trying to 'fix' a Note 7 that now has the 60% cap firmware, but I have no experience rooting. I have jailbroken iPhones though and can follow instructions. Is this the repair assistant I need? (Newbie and can't post urls yet... hence the extra spaces).

verizonwireless . com/support/knowledge-base-80201/

Also, where would I find the Odin tar for my phone (Verizon Note 7)?

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
]]

Trying to 'fix' a Note 7 that now has the 60% cap firmware, but I have no experience rooting. I have jailbroken iPhones though and can follow instructions. Is this the repair assistant I need? (Newbie and can't post urls yet... hence the extra spaces).

the vzw repair assistant should revert you back to the phe green battery firmware unless they uploaded the latest already.. if it works you need to disable sdm.apk to block updates or else itll forve you onto the 60% update.

you CANNOT root at this time once it was on the phe firmware

Tmunroe1

Aug 6, 2010
This is accomplished by using package disabler if you have not already found your answer.
Question. If I just received the install now or later message, is it too late to try to block/reject it with the package disabler pro?

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

]]

yeah, as Elliwigy said.. following any root procedure with semi brick you like it did me. BUT!!! the verizon software repair tool will get you back to moments before the firmware upgrade. If you could quickly install package disabler pro and block the update, then you're good.

Woofa59

Jan 13, 2015
Olympia
Question. If I just received the install now or later message, is it too late to try to block/reject it with the package disabler pro?

No, it's not too late. And even the latest versions on the store are capable, they just do not have the packages listed so you have to do a manual entry. I did mine yesterday after receiving the update notice.

Tmunroe1

Aug 6, 2010
No, it's not too late. And even the latest versions on the store are capable, they just do not have the packages listed so you have to do a manual entry. I did mine yesterday after receiving the update notice.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please list the files you disabled that are required to get rid of this message?

Reactions: everychicken

everychicken

Nov 8, 2016
Can you provide some more specific instruction on

1) How to use the Verizon Software repair tool. Is it pretty straight-forward or is there something special I need to do?

2) How to use Package Disabler Pro to block the update.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

yeah, as Elliwigy said.. following any root procedure with semi brick you like it did me. BUT!!! the verizon software repair tool will get you back to moments before the firmware upgrade. If you could quickly install package disabler pro and block the update, then you're good.

Tmunroe1

Aug 6, 2010

1) How to use the Verizon Software repair tool. Is it pretty straight-forward or is there something special I need to do?

Thanks

very straight forward. Just choose the repair option. I'm still trying to get rid of the message. Will provide info when I complete it.

Reactions: everychicken

Woofa59

Jan 13, 2015
Olympia
If it's not too much trouble, could you please list the files you disabled that are required to get rid of this message?

I disabled these two: com.samsung.sdm and com.sec.android.soagent since we are talking about Verizon here. They do vary by carrier.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Thanks

Number 1 was covered.

Number 2 is also very easy especially for anyone that can read between the lines sort of on Play app descriptions but clearly looking at the reviews this is difficult for some. PDP used to list all the packages. If you find an older version, 6.3 or before it will show all present in the list, later versions do not due to Google Play and Samsung pressure. If you get it right from the Play store (I think the dev deserves the $.99 Pro or $1.49 Pro+) you will need to use the Manual disable in the menu and enter the package names I've already given above as long as you are indeed on Verizon.

I just realized we rather strayed from the OP's topic here so I hope this is useful for people.

Tmunroe1

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks Bro!!!! Definitely worked for me and removed that annoying install now or later prompt

I disabled these two: com.samsung.sdm and com.sec.android.soagent since we are talking about Verizon here. They do vary by carrier.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Number 1 was covered.

Number 2 is also very easy especially for anyone that can read between the lines sort of on Play app descriptions but clearly looking at the reviews this is difficult for some. PDP used to list all the packages. If you find an older version, 6.3 or before it will show all present in the list, later versions do not due to Google Play and Samsung pressure. If you get it right from the Play store (I think the dev deserves the $.99 Pro or $1.49 Pro+) you will need to use the Manual disable in the menu and enter the package names I've already given above as long as you are indeed on Verizon.

I just realized we rather strayed from the OP's topic here so I hope this is useful for people.

Sczar

Jan 15, 2011
NY :)
Guys. Anyone knows if there is a VZW port available? Everything I found is International version.

Thanks in advance.

Sczar

Jan 15, 2011
NY :)
port for what? this is a vzw specific thread lol

I know its a vzw specific thread thats why I asked here lol.
What I meant. Is there a thread gor a vzw port to other devices? Like Note 7 International its been ported to N3, N4 and N5.

I am trying to find a vzw N7 to port to vzw N3. That was my concern. ????

NarcissusV

Mar 29, 2011
My wife accepted her OTA update recently and now has the 60% capped battery restriction. She isn't worried about rooting, but wants to get rid of the battery cap. Given Tmunroe's success of reverting back to the 100% battery by using Verizon Repair Assistant, should I be able to just plug her phone in and revert it that way, or do I need to go through the process like he did by trying to root it, semi-bricking it, and THEN using the repair assistant? I'm thinking I should just be able to use the software to revert it back to PHE w/ 100% battery. Thoughts?

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
I know its a vzw specific thread thats why I asked here lol.
What I meant. Is there a thread gor a vzw port to other devices? Like Note 7 International its been ported to N3, N4 and N5.

I am trying to find a vzw N7 to port to vzw N3. That was my concern. ????

i know lol.. if there was a port itd be in the N3 section.. they wouldnt put a N7 port for other devices in the N7 thread..

to answer your question i highly doubt it unless theres still devs putting in work on the N3 lol

Nov 18, 2016
Tried to ROOT after PHE

I got lazy and didnt do my homework about the PHE update, and tried to root my note 7. (big surprise, it didnt work) and now it's soft bricked. It failed while flashing in Odin. The phone goes to the update screen, then fails, and takes me to recovery. I cant use any of the functions, just get a lot of fails and errors. I hadn't read about the bootloader being locked, yeah I'm aware I'm an idiot for not properly researching first. (don't be too harsh)
Is there a way to flash it back to the PHE? Or am I stuck with a paperweight and its time to trade it in with the recall program?
Thanks

NarcissusV

Mar 29, 2011
I got lazy and didnt do my homework about the PHE update, and tried to root my note 7. (big surprise, it didnt work) and now it's soft bricked. It failed while flashing in Odin. The phone goes to the update screen, then fails, and takes me to recovery. I cant use any of the functions, just get a lot of fails and errors. I hadn't read about the bootloader being locked, yeah I'm aware I'm an idiot for not properly researching first. (don't be too harsh)
Is there a way to flash it back to the PHE? Or am I stuck with a paperweight and its time to trade it in with the recall program?
Thanks

Verizon Repair Assistant. This guy did exactly as you described and solved it here: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-note-7/how-to/unbrick-verizon-note-7-matter-how-bad-t3467085

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyler.Garrison

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First thanks to freeza and goonygugle
    this is freezas method with a few adjustments from goonygugle and a little extra steps to get data on vzw

Files needed
    You also need adb for this process if you dont already have it
    Leaked Sprint Rom: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236681
    Odin and verizon firmware, courtesy of Misterxtc
    Sun7 Files: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236679 unzip this zip into a normal sun7 folder. Put the new sun7 folder into the folder that holds your adb file!

1) After downloading all the files unlock developer mode and enable usb debugging
    2) Put the phone into download mode (vol-, Power, Home)
    3) Connect the phone to the computer and open oden
    4) Click AP and select the sprint file, wait for it to load and flash
    5) The phone will reboot and go through a update process. when you get to a black screen force the phone into download mode again (for new settings menu allow first boot ~30mins then put into download mode)
    6) Flash BL, CP and CSC in odin from the verizon firmware
    7) After the flash it will be a long wait for first boot ~30mins (Can disconnect from computer)
    8) You can skip setup. Go to settings and unlock developer options again and enable usb debugging
    9) Plug the phone back in and don't forget to change from charging mode to file transfer
    From freeza's post
    10): Open a command prompt where your ADB executable and sun7 folder are.
    11): Verify standard root access by typing "adb shell" then "su" If successful, type "exit" twice to get back to the command prompt.
    12): Push the sun7 folder to your phone by typing "adb push sun7 /data/local/tmp/su"
    13): Change permissions of contents in su to 777 by typing "adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/su/*"
    14): Launch adb shell by typing "adb shell"
    15): Change directory to su by typing "cd data" "cd local" "cd tmp" "cd su"
    16): Gain standard root privileges by typing "su"
    17): Execute the SU script by typing "./root.sh"
    Phone will reboot and you will have root but this leaves verizon without access to data
    18) You will need a root explorer
    19) Download stock verizon apn settings https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7m9v49a2eytmid/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
    if you want to use different carriers download nexus 6p apn settings(includes verizon apn) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqz3ps8xq492k8l/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
    20) Copy the apns-conf to the phone
    21) In a root explorer locate the apns-conf file you just transferred. Copy/Move it and navigate to system/etc
    22) Delete that original apns-conf file in system/etc (contains sprint data info) and past the one you copied
    23) Change the permissions to rw-r-r

24) Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/ and delete telephony.db
    25) Reboot your phone and everything should be up and running

Now you have a Samsung stock Note 7 with the only thing from Verizon being the network!
    Removed VOLTE icon from status bar

I will be posting my mods here for the rooted Verizon Note 7

http://xdaforums.com/verizon-note-7/themes/native-call-recording-t3451602

Enjoy and don't forget to hit thanks!!

Cheers
    As of now stock messenger doesn't work for MMS, just use another messenger instead
    Reboot requires any bluetooth devices to be paired again

Samsung cloud fix from jeffbob48
    Here is the fix for samsung cloud https://mega.nz/#!v5JTFBwT!FAXwgY6VTGceerWJmt2pQ0xQEh07yiNw4AxNCPnAv10

1. Download zip and unzip it to storage of phone ( Do Not Flash... this zip cannot be flashed in any way)
    2. copy file from zip to /system/omc/VZW
    3. make sure it overwrites the old files
    4.check to make sure that the permissions of all the files are rw- r-- r--
    5. etc folder does not need to be changed, do not touch anything in etc folder
    6. after you set the permissions reboot the phone
    7. go check settings for samsung cloud now

Any donations would be much appreciated lol i worked really hard on fixing this for you guys and i have more fixes to come
    Verizon Note 7 Visual Voice Mail

I don't use Visual Voice Mail. But for those who want it give this a try. Just flash via FlashFire.

Download Link: Verizon Visual Voice Mail

I can Deodex any Verizon app and build a flash-able zip. Let me know if there is anything else you all want from the Verizon build. I have extracted the whole stock build and I am working on other mods now.
    when ever some o e has a min if one of you more knowledgeable guys can help with my vo)) lte icon question that would be awesome thats my only issue so far i just hate that stupid icon lol so the sooner i can remove it the better lol
    It's a string in the consumer.xml file I can change it for you soon

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

@jeffbob48 will you be posting the fix to Samsung cloud tomorrow?

Yes i will