• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT] VZW Note 7

Search This thread

farside420

Nov 6, 2013
hey guys, having an issue with the root. When i try to put the sprint ap file in Odin and flash it, it fails almost immediately to the phone. verified the right phone and file. I have tried to different versions of odin and still nothing.. Any thoughts?

ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/007> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> emmc_appsboot.mbn
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)

Last edited:

HenryBoyIV

Jan 6, 2017
Okay so I need some success stories, what works and doesn't work. I followed Jay Boss and the Note 7 Rebels before the Doomsday update and my Note 7 is working great. Now I would like to root it using this method. I need some success stories lol

outamoney

Jul 1, 2009
soft brick

EDIT: Just realized I am having the same problem as a few others in this thread. Any direction would be great.

Hey guys,

I don't know what happened exactly, but something went wrong. I followed the guide to a T, and was halted at flashing the AP file through ODIN. I put the device in download mode and went to flash [ODIN confirmed device with "added"], and it gave an error right at the start. Now my device is soft bricked, with only recovery mode.

Is there a firmware I can flash with ODIN to reset ?

thank you in advance very much

Last edited:

garyinskeep1

Jan 8, 2017
Is it possible to downgrade or flash the note 7 to ph1 from phe so I can root?
No its not possible the alliance is working on a fix

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

hey guys, having an issue with the root. When i try to put the sprint ap file in Odin and flash it, it fails almost immediately to the phone. verified the right phone and file. I have tried to different versions of odin and still nothing.. Any thoughts?

ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/007> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> emmc_appsboot.mbn
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
Have you tried changing cables i was able to get my phone and everything to connect i was able to push adb and stuff but when it came ti odin it kept failing i tried new cable original samsung and it went right through no problem

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

serusaert

Jan 4, 2011
thanks much for this but given the number of desperate folks on PHE firmware (like myself), you really should use caps locks on the initial post and state:

FOR PH1 FIRMWARE ONLY!!

i wonder how many of the people having issues with the process are not on PH1?

aburito

Aug 17, 2018
Everything works for me up till part 12. CMD reads to me "adb: error: cannot stat 'sun7': No such file or directory". Any insight as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

First thanks to freeza and goonygugle
this is freezas method with a few adjustments from goonygugle and a little extra steps to get data on vzw

Files needed
You also need adb for this process if you dont already have it
Leaked Sprint Rom: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236681
Odin and verizon firmware, courtesy of Misterxtc
Sun7 Files: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236679 unzip this zip into a normal sun7 folder. Put the new sun7 folder into the folder that holds your adb file!

1) After downloading all the files unlock developer mode and enable usb debugging
2) Put the phone into download mode (vol-, Power, Home)
3) Connect the phone to the computer and open oden
4) Click AP and select the sprint file, wait for it to load and flash
5) The phone will reboot and go through a update process. when you get to a black screen force the phone into download mode again (for new settings menu allow first boot ~30mins then put into download mode)
6) Flash BL, CP and CSC in odin from the verizon firmware
7) After the flash it will be a long wait for first boot ~30mins (Can disconnect from computer)
8) You can skip setup. Go to settings and unlock developer options again and enable usb debugging
9) Plug the phone back in and don't forget to change from charging mode to file transfer
From freeza's post
10): Open a command prompt where your ADB executable and sun7 folder are.
11): Verify standard root access by typing "adb shell" then "su" If successful, type "exit" twice to get back to the command prompt.
12): Push the sun7 folder to your phone by typing "adb push sun7 /data/local/tmp/su"
13): Change permissions of contents in su to 777 by typing "adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/su/*"
14): Launch adb shell by typing "adb shell"
15): Change directory to su by typing "cd data" "cd local" "cd tmp" "cd su"
16): Gain standard root privileges by typing "su"
17): Execute the SU script by typing "./root.sh"
Phone will reboot and you will have root but this leaves verizon without access to data
18) You will need a root explorer
19) Download stock verizon apn settings https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7m9v49a2eytmid/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
if you want to use different carriers download nexus 6p apn settings(includes verizon apn) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqz3ps8xq492k8l/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
20) Copy the apns-conf to the phone
21) In a root explorer locate the apns-conf file you just transferred. Copy/Move it and navigate to system/etc
22) Delete that original apns-conf file in system/etc (contains sprint data info) and past the one you copied
23) Change the permissions to rw-r-r

24) Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/ and delete telephony.db
25) Reboot your phone and everything should be up and running

Now you have a Samsung stock Note 7 with the only thing from Verizon being the network!

I keep getting stuck on part 12. When I use cmd it says, "adb: error: cannot stat 'sun7': no such file or directory". Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LRiley

Aug 3, 2010
Everything works for me up till part 12. CMD reads to me "adb: error: cannot stat 'sun7': No such file or directory". Any insight as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

I keep getting stuck on part 12. When I use cmd it says, "adb: error: cannot stat 'sun7': no such file or directory". Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The sun7 folder has to be in the adb folder

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First thanks to freeza and goonygugle
    this is freezas method with a few adjustments from goonygugle and a little extra steps to get data on vzw

Files needed
    You also need adb for this process if you dont already have it
    Leaked Sprint Rom: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236681
    Odin and verizon firmware, courtesy of Misterxtc
    Sun7 Files: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236679 unzip this zip into a normal sun7 folder. Put the new sun7 folder into the folder that holds your adb file!

1) After downloading all the files unlock developer mode and enable usb debugging
    2) Put the phone into download mode (vol-, Power, Home)
    3) Connect the phone to the computer and open oden
    4) Click AP and select the sprint file, wait for it to load and flash
    5) The phone will reboot and go through a update process. when you get to a black screen force the phone into download mode again (for new settings menu allow first boot ~30mins then put into download mode)
    6) Flash BL, CP and CSC in odin from the verizon firmware
    7) After the flash it will be a long wait for first boot ~30mins (Can disconnect from computer)
    8) You can skip setup. Go to settings and unlock developer options again and enable usb debugging
    9) Plug the phone back in and don't forget to change from charging mode to file transfer
    From freeza's post
    10): Open a command prompt where your ADB executable and sun7 folder are.
    11): Verify standard root access by typing "adb shell" then "su" If successful, type "exit" twice to get back to the command prompt.
    12): Push the sun7 folder to your phone by typing "adb push sun7 /data/local/tmp/su"
    13): Change permissions of contents in su to 777 by typing "adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/su/*"
    14): Launch adb shell by typing "adb shell"
    15): Change directory to su by typing "cd data" "cd local" "cd tmp" "cd su"
    16): Gain standard root privileges by typing "su"
    17): Execute the SU script by typing "./root.sh"
    Phone will reboot and you will have root but this leaves verizon without access to data
    18) You will need a root explorer
    19) Download stock verizon apn settings https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7m9v49a2eytmid/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
    if you want to use different carriers download nexus 6p apn settings(includes verizon apn) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqz3ps8xq492k8l/apns-conf.xml?dl=0
    20) Copy the apns-conf to the phone
    21) In a root explorer locate the apns-conf file you just transferred. Copy/Move it and navigate to system/etc
    22) Delete that original apns-conf file in system/etc (contains sprint data info) and past the one you copied
    23) Change the permissions to rw-r-r

24) Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/ and delete telephony.db
    25) Reboot your phone and everything should be up and running

Now you have a Samsung stock Note 7 with the only thing from Verizon being the network!
    Removed VOLTE icon from status bar

I will be posting my mods here for the rooted Verizon Note 7

http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-note-7/themes/native-call-recording-t3451602

Enjoy and don't forget to hit thanks!!

Cheers
    As of now stock messenger doesn't work for MMS, just use another messenger instead
    Reboot requires any bluetooth devices to be paired again

Samsung cloud fix from jeffbob48
    Here is the fix for samsung cloud https://mega.nz/#!v5JTFBwT!FAXwgY6VTGceerWJmt2pQ0xQEh07yiNw4AxNCPnAv10

1. Download zip and unzip it to storage of phone ( Do Not Flash... this zip cannot be flashed in any way)
    2. copy file from zip to /system/omc/VZW
    3. make sure it overwrites the old files
    4.check to make sure that the permissions of all the files are rw- r-- r--
    5. etc folder does not need to be changed, do not touch anything in etc folder
    6. after you set the permissions reboot the phone
    7. go check settings for samsung cloud now

Any donations would be much appreciated lol i worked really hard on fixing this for you guys and i have more fixes to come
    Verizon Note 7 Visual Voice Mail

I don't use Visual Voice Mail. But for those who want it give this a try. Just flash via FlashFire.

Download Link: Verizon Visual Voice Mail

I can Deodex any Verizon app and build a flash-able zip. Let me know if there is anything else you all want from the Verizon build. I have extracted the whole stock build and I am working on other mods now.
    when ever some o e has a min if one of you more knowledgeable guys can help with my vo)) lte icon question that would be awesome thats my only issue so far i just hate that stupid icon lol so the sooner i can remove it the better lol
    It's a string in the consumer.xml file I can change it for you soon

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

@jeffbob48 will you be posting the fix to Samsung cloud tomorrow?

Yes i will