[ROOT][WIN] GUI Tool for rooting the Motorola RAZR

Search This thread

DJFliX

Feb 3, 2009
Utrecht
This is my first attempt at creating something for users on xda, so be gentle ;).

Eternityproject has released a fine script for rooting our Motorola RAZR phones on the 4.0.4 update. As a windows-user that used to use batch scripts for everything I could not help but want some more output than just the [rebooting] echo's that the script print on the screen. As a bonus I thought it would be nice to see how long the script will take before my phone is rooted. I have made these wishes into an application, and pedrotorresfilho kindly allowed me to use their script in my application.

So what does it do?
It roots your Motorola RAZR and shows you what the script originally did. It also calculates how long your phone takes to reboot, and shows you how much time you have to get a nice cup of [insert drink here]. Or soda if you prefer that. In theory it is possible to root multiple phones at the same time, which saves time if you have to root 10 RAZRs at once (LOL... as if).

How does one use it?
- Install the program using Microsoft's Awesome ClickOnce distibution system
- Install the Motorola Drivers (Download MotoHelper from here)
- Enable 'Unknown Sources' (on your phone: go to settings, go to security, tick the box next to 'Unknown Sources') (needed to install supersu.apk)
- Enable 'USB Debugging' (on your phone: go to settings, go to developer options, tick the box next to USB Debugging) (needed to communicate with your phone over USB)
- When connecting your phone, please set the USB Mode to 'Media Sync - MTP', to be sure that mounting points won't interfere with the rooting process.
When the application is opened all the connected Android devices will be selected. This means that as soon as you press the 'Root' button, they will be rooted.

In principle the application does nothing more or less than the script. You don't have to have extensive knowledge of adb or android internals, it's just an app that shows the connected devices and a root button :). If you are already rooted, it's easy to unroot using SuperSU.

rootsuccess.jpg

Download links:
Open ClickOnce Application (works only if you have .NET 4.0 installed!)
Download page (use this if the above link does not work/you do not have .NET 4.0)

You can update by opening the application. If there is an update, you will be prompted to download the latest version.

Required:
Windows (with .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile installed)
Motorola RAZR running ICS (other phones might work, but you will get a warning)

I ask all of you kindly NOT to mirror or reshare the application without my permission. Please share the ClickOnce Application link. Is assures that you are running the latest version!

Credits:
Eternityproject (pedrotorresfilho & kholk) - for writing the script
miloj - For finding the exploit binary to root the phone
Dan Wager - For creating AndroidLib, a .NET wrapper for ADB on Windows
Chainfire - For creating and providing SuperSu and his su binary - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Changelog:
1.0.0.6:
Added more strings to the logging output
Fixed the blocking of the root button if there are no devices selected
Added a splash screen to indicate that the application is actually loading
Changed the location where the splash as well as the credits/welcome screen appear

1.0.0.5:
added credits for Chainfires SuperSU and su
Removed the message that rooting was not successful
Added a few more messages about the script itself (in the script output)
Updated SuperSU and binary to 0.94 (su binary still says it needs to be updated :()

1.0.0.4:
The application now properly disposes of the AndroidLib instance, disabled the CheckedItem event on the DeviceList because it was a tad buggy. This won't harm anyone.

1.0.0.3:
Enabled Microsoft ClickOnce Update deployment. If I fix a bug, you are able to update to a less buggy version ;)

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

hacker812c

Mar 28, 2012
Salvador🇧🇷
This is my first attempt at creating something for users on xda, so be gentle ;).

Credits:
minoj - For finding/creating the exploit binary to root the phone (please correct me if this is not correct)

+1 congratulations for this work
thanks

DJFliX

Feb 3, 2009
Utrecht

Hmm... I will have a look at this. What are your reasons for using this except that it's simple? It's just a matter of preference, right?

For guys already rooted that wanna test it, first unroot your phone:

Run SuperSU app and press 'full unroot'. If you have superuser app also installed remove it first.

Cheers

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

nespresso33

Apr 28, 2010
Well, I tested the 2 versions ( I got a notification to update your tool ).
It is working great but the installer is strange, ( I had all requirements but for people which don't, it's not great ).

SuperSu and binary are not latest version. And I get at the end a message who say " the phone does not seem to have root" but I had root

Reactions: DJFliX

DJFliX

Feb 3, 2009
Utrecht
It is working great but the installer is strange, ( I had all requirements but for people which don't, it's not great ).

SuperSu and binary are not latest version. And I get at the end a message who say " the phone does not seem to have root" but I had root

Yeah, the installer should be extra user friendly. I should probably just advice users to use the .application link. But the link will only work if .NET client profile is already installed. I'll adjust the message about root, It seems that the library that I use does not query root status from the phone, but rather from it's cache. Maybe I have to update the phone data before querying for root. Thanks for your feedback!

Edit: I am now uploading version 1.0.0.5, I added credits for Chainfires SuperSU, removed the message about the rooting. Too bad my connection is bad (3G in the mountains in La Palma) so bear with me while the updated version is uploaded. Should be up within about 10 minutes, users that already have the application installed will asked to update to the latest version.

Last edited:

pedrotorresfilho

Jan 4, 2012
decantodepoetas.blogspot.com

1. Installed and executed (had to confirm the download since google chrome didn't allow setup.exe files to be directly donwloaded)
2. Upon start it updated.
3. First run the app didn't recognized my connected Razr after changing USB to Media Device - MTP and enable USB debug.
3. Closed and reopened the app and it recognized and root went fine.
capturarzp.jpg

Notes: Application said to 'Refresh' when ADB has being enable, but theresn't a Refresh button. :D

Really nice!

DJFliX

Feb 3, 2009
Utrecht
1. Installed and executed (had to confirm the download since google chrome didn't allow setup.exe files to be directly donwloaded)
3. First run the app didn't recognized my connected Razr after changing USB to Media Device - MTP and enable USB debug.
capturarzp.jpg

Notes: Application said to 'Refresh' when ADB has being enable, but theresn't a Refresh button. :D

Really nice!
The refresh button is the button next to root ;). I'll put a tooltip on that button. Glad to hear all is fine. I'm uploading 1.0.0.5 to polish out the small annoyances and update SuperSU. Thank you so much for testing :).

Edit: 1.0.0.5 is out :). The download link is now public. Please leave suggestions and improvements in this topic or send me a DM. Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Eternityproject has released a fine script for rooting our Motorola RAZR phones on the 4.0.4 update. As a windows-user that used to use batch scripts for everything I could not help but want some more output than just the [rebooting] echo's that the script print on the screen. As a bonus I thought it would be nice to see how long the script will take before my phone is rooted. I have made these wishes into an application, and pedrotorresfilho kindly allowed me to use their script in my application.

So what does it do?
    It roots your Motorola RAZR and shows you what the script originally did. It also calculates how long your phone takes to reboot, and shows you how much time you have to get a nice cup of [insert drink here]. Or soda if you prefer that. In theory it is possible to root multiple phones at the same time, which saves time if you have to root 10 RAZRs at once (LOL... as if).

How does one use it?
    - Install the program using Microsoft's Awesome ClickOnce distibution system
    - Install the Motorola Drivers (Download MotoHelper from here)
    - Enable 'Unknown Sources' (on your phone: go to settings, go to security, tick the box next to 'Unknown Sources') (needed to install supersu.apk)
    - Enable 'USB Debugging' (on your phone: go to settings, go to developer options, tick the box next to USB Debugging) (needed to communicate with your phone over USB)
    - When connecting your phone, please set the USB Mode to 'Media Sync - MTP', to be sure that mounting points won't interfere with the rooting process.
    When the application is opened all the connected Android devices will be selected. This means that as soon as you press the 'Root' button, they will be rooted.

In principle the application does nothing more or less than the script. You don't have to have extensive knowledge of adb or android internals, it's just an app that shows the connected devices and a root button :). If you are already rooted, it's easy to unroot using SuperSU.

rootsuccess.jpg

Download links:
    Open ClickOnce Application (works only if you have .NET 4.0 installed!)
    Download page (use this if the above link does not work/you do not have .NET 4.0)

You can update by opening the application. If there is an update, you will be prompted to download the latest version.

Required:
    Windows (with .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile installed)
    Motorola RAZR running ICS (other phones might work, but you will get a warning)

I ask all of you kindly NOT to mirror or reshare the application without my permission. Please share the ClickOnce Application link. Is assures that you are running the latest version!

Credits:
    miloj - For finding the exploit binary to root the phone
    Chainfire - For creating and providing SuperSu and his su binary - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Changelog:
    1.0.0.6:
    Added more strings to the logging output
    Fixed the blocking of the root button if there are no devices selected
    Added a splash screen to indicate that the application is actually loading
    Changed the location where the splash as well as the credits/welcome screen appear

1.0.0.5:
    added credits for Chainfires SuperSU and su
    Removed the message that rooting was not successful
    Added a few more messages about the script itself (in the script output)
    Updated SuperSU and binary to 0.94 (su binary still says it needs to be updated :()

1.0.0.4:
    The application now properly disposes of the AndroidLib instance, disabled the CheckedItem event on the DeviceList because it was a tad buggy. This won't harm anyone.

1.0.0.3:
    Enabled Microsoft ClickOnce Update deployment. If I fix a bug, you are able to update to a less buggy version ;)

Hmm... I will have a look at this. What are your reasons for using this except that it's simple? It's just a matter of preference, right?

Run SuperSU app and press 'full unroot'. If you have superuser app also installed remove it first.

Cheers

Thanks man! Much appreciated!
    capturarzp.jpg

Really nice!
    The refresh button is the button next to root ;). I'll put a tooltip on that button. Glad to hear all is fine. I'm uploading 1.0.0.5 to polish out the small annoyances and update SuperSU. Thank you so much for testing :).

Edit: 1.0.0.5 is out :). The download link is now public. Please leave suggestions and improvements in this topic or send me a DM. Thanks!
    My Razr is already rooted, but I can test.

I have sent you a dm :).

201206131836.png

Cheers