How To Guide [Root][WIP Guide] Rooting the Nokia 2.2

Search This thread

bloatware2

Nov 4, 2020
I'm creating this thread to collect all the useful information about rooting the Nokia 2.2 phone (released on June 2019).

The method I'm following is with Magisk. I'm following the Magisk installation instruction on the official Magisk github repository ( https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html ).

1. One of the preliminary steps is "Your device’s bootloader has to be unlocked". For this, I've activated developer mode on the phone (tapping 10 times on the build number), and then, under Developer options, I've turned on "OEM unlocking - Allow the bootloader to be unlocked".

About this, there seems to be articles on the internet saying that the Nokia phone are impossible to unlock in the bootloader because the manufacurer (HMD Global), has disabled this option through the firmware.

2. Download and install the latest Magisk Manager, and check that "Ramdisk" is yes, which means that your device is perfect for installing Magisk.
This works ok on the Nokia 2.2.

Then come the "Patching Images" steps (an alternative approach would be to install with Custom Recovery):

3. You need a copy of the boot.img. You should be able to extract it "from official firmware packages, your custom ROM zip (if using one), or go to XDA-Developers and seek for resources, guides, discussions, or ask for help in your device’s forum."
This is where I'm stuck (actually, I haven't tried yet to even unlock the bootloader), since I could find nowhere on the web a boot.img for the Nokia 2.2.
It's not clear if I could get a copy of this from the phone itself.

4. Copy the boot/recovery image to your device
5. Press the Install button in the Magisk card
6. "If you are patching a recovery image, make sure “Recovery Mode” is checked in options. In most cases it should already be automatically checked."
7. Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the stock boot/recovery image
8. Magisk Manager will patch the image to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.img.
9. Copy the patched image to your PC with ADB: adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
10. Flash the patched boot/recovery image to your device.
For most devices, reboot into fastboot mode and flash with command:
fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img or
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/magisk_patched.img if flashing a recovery image
11. Reboot and voila!

Last edited:

TheBeast941

Apr 6, 2021
I've managed to unlock the bootloader on my Nokia 2.2 by following this guide:

but i don't know how to go about achieving root after that (permanent root not the mtk-su temporary root) on my device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm creating this thread to collect all the useful information about rooting the Nokia 2.2 phone (released on June 2019).

The method I'm following is with Magisk. I'm following the Magisk installation instruction on the official Magisk github repository ( https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html ).

1. One of the preliminary steps is "Your device’s bootloader has to be unlocked". For this, I've activated developer mode on the phone (tapping 10 times on the build number), and then, under Developer options, I've turned on "OEM unlocking - Allow the bootloader to be unlocked".

About this, there seems to be articles on the internet saying that the Nokia phone are impossible to unlock in the bootloader because the manufacurer (HMD Global), has disabled this option through the firmware.

2. Download and install the latest Magisk Manager, and check that "Ramdisk" is yes, which means that your device is perfect for installing Magisk.
    This works ok on the Nokia 2.2.

Then come the "Patching Images" steps (an alternative approach would be to install with Custom Recovery):

3. You need a copy of the boot.img. You should be able to extract it "from official firmware packages, your custom ROM zip (if using one), or go to XDA-Developers and seek for resources, guides, discussions, or ask for help in your device’s forum."
    This is where I'm stuck (actually, I haven't tried yet to even unlock the bootloader), since I could find nowhere on the web a boot.img for the Nokia 2.2.
    It's not clear if I could get a copy of this from the phone itself.

4. Copy the boot/recovery image to your device
    5. Press the Install button in the Magisk card
    6. "If you are patching a recovery image, make sure “Recovery Mode” is checked in options. In most cases it should already be automatically checked."
    7. Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the stock boot/recovery image
    8. Magisk Manager will patch the image to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.img.
    9. Copy the patched image to your PC with ADB: adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
    10. Flash the patched boot/recovery image to your device.
    For most devices, reboot into fastboot mode and flash with command:
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img or
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/magisk_patched.img if flashing a recovery image
    11. Reboot and voila!