ROOT with PIE Guide

Search This thread

MafiaKitten

Mar 7, 2020
Did you verify drivers ? In device manager ?
Try verifying device is connected ? Fastboot devices

Just some ideas

yeah i found out what was wrong, finished flashing the .img files only to get a bootloop cause i flashed MR1 .img files to my phone (MR2) i need to get the .img of build P-MR2-RC001-RZR-190914.3123 but the file is 2 GB and i have a 5KB/S download speed :/ all i need is the .img from it, could you possibly provide me with it? i cant find it elsewhere

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
yeah i found out what was wrong, finished flashing the .img files only to get a bootloop cause i flashed MR1 .img files to my phone (MR2) i need to get the .img of build P-MR2-RC001-RZR-190914.3123 but the file is 2 GB and i have a 5KB/S download speed :/ all i need is the .img from it, could you possibly provide me with it? i cant find it elsewhere

Here you go: P-MR2-RC001-RZR-190914.3123-boot.img

liammc83

Apr 30, 2014
thanks for the help, but now im stuck on the first boot screen, i may just have to suffer through the 2 GB download and just use razers steps, unless you know a fix?
Another idea..

Whenever stuck at boot or a bootloop, if your not afraid to lose data..
Twrp > wipe > format data > type yes.. Then try a boot, give it a 5 mins at least ( Allow at least one bootloop, 3x max ). Be surprise how many times it get er going.

Also rather than flashing mr2 system, try a gsi :good:

MafiaKitten

Mar 7, 2020
Another idea..

Whenever stuck at boot or a bootloop, if your not afraid to lose data..
Twrp > wipe > format data > type yes.. Then try a boot, give it a 5 mins at least ( Allow at least one bootloop, 3x max ). Be surprise how many times it get er going.

Also rather than flashing mr2 system, try a gsi :good:

where do i access twrp? if its in recovery mode i cant access it, also what is a gsi? im not afraid to loose any data this is a fresh razerphone 2.

MafiaKitten

Mar 7, 2020
Ok so I've followed the entire thing three times over now and i did not get root, as well as Magisk telling me i don't have it installed all three times. what am i doing wrong?

liammc83

Apr 30, 2014
no, the thread never said i needed it, unless i'm blind. but id like to stay as close to stock as i can.
You'll need twrp to flash magisk (preferred root)
Unless you are trying to manually patch the boot.IMG and flash boot_a/boot_b , But I'm not sure it'll work.

Best to fastboot flash kernel/twrp combo (recovery) then simply flash magisk 20.3 , And you'll be stock with root..

Once you have twrp recovery installed, It'd be recommended if you want to stay close to stock, Is to flash warriors mr2 stock-ish ROM, then magisk, then Trinity 4.* kernel..

Gl, You'll get it.

Rk5tar510

Sep 25, 2017
Hey guys I'm also having issues with getting it working. I've followed the steps numerous times with no luck. I don't think it's the guides fault as its easy to understand but the problem seems to be with the setup. I was able to manually unlock bootloader but I can't adb to show my device. I downloaded new drivers for phone and adb but no luck. Under device management I can see my phone when it's (no data transfer I believe) plugged in it'll say Razer 2. But in p2p or anything else it says phone 2. I never seem to get the prompt for usb debugging even tho it's turned on in dev options. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could it be it just can't be done on my laptop cause I was having issues with my gs8+ as well when using odin and program not finding my device. Anyone have any clues of where I should start looking?

Also if it matters I'm on at&t 9.0 update. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I just need to flash boot image to finish so not much left to do as I can easily get magisk on. But also is there another way to flash boot image without adb?

Last edited:

IKARUS100

Jan 6, 2016
I'm having an issue with my computer not seeing my phone I've tried a bunch of different drivers and none have been working the only way my computer sees my phone is if I go to the recovery and sideload updates,
I've downloaded the latest adb and phone update I have a patched boot IMG and bootloader is unlocked can anyone help?

Model and hardware info
•Model - Phone 2
•Hardware - 4.0

Build Number
•P-SMR3-RC002-RZR-200226.3141

TheGerbenator

Jun 11, 2008
For the love of everything holy, can someone please point me to Bootloader drivers? I tried this link https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb and did both methods to download drivers. I am trying to install the drivers while it is in bootloader mode, but windows just says "Windows could not find drivers for your device"

I have tried targeting the drivers under the Android Studio location as well as the manually downloaded drivers. I am using Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I can find the device when in any mode except for bootloader mode (there, it is a device without a driver)

EDIT:

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS INSTEAD FOR USB DRIVERS <3

I wasn't manually choosing the have disk option, I was just pointing to the folder, which did not work.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cheryl-fac...stall_Android_Fastboot_Drivers_on_Windows.pdf

Last edited:

tightmilk

May 12, 2020
magisk manager?

Hi All,

In the best interest to provide clarity I'm creating this quick and easy tutorial on how to root your Razer Phone 2 after the Pie Upgrade. Please send me any feedback to improve this post, we need to build up a strong community.

*As usual, I'm not responsible of any damage or brick to your phone, do it at your own risk.

Pre-Requirements:
-Be sure to have at least 70% of charges... or plug your phone to power
-Backup anything you consider important
-Already installed Pie Upgrade via OTA or Side Loaded​

-Enable Developer Options
• Open Phone "Settings" and scroll down.
• You will see an option "Build Number".
• Simply tap on it 7 times to enable it on your Android Oreo based device.
• Your device immediately display a message on screen that will say "You are now a developer".
• The Developer Option is now available in the Settings>System>Developer Options. Enjoy!​

- Install Android Drivers (https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb) and ADB, I personally recommend -[TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [2-9-18] - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

-Unlock Bootloader
• To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings > Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock
• Using ADB commands reboot on bootloader​

adb reboot bootloader

• After reboot completes follow phone menus and select "UNLOCK BOOTLOADER"; accept all warnings, after restart you have completed the unlock.​

Root and Installing Magisk
Since our phone doesn't have a proven customer recovery fully working (Ex TWRP) Magisk needs to be installed by manually patching the device boot image.

Making leverage of Warrior1988 post [Root Magisk Pie Update For Unlocked Devices] all credits to him. Download the image from his post

• Boot in fastboot mode To boot into fastboot, press and hold the Power button + Volume Down Keys for few seconds; Copy the image on the same folder as your ADB and Run the following commands:

fastboot flash boot_a boot.img

fastboot flash boot_b boot.img

fastboot reboot

Install Magisk Download the apk and install it as usual on your RP2, that should be all.

DONE!!!! You now have a unleashed the beast! Please send me any recommendations to improved this guide.

When you say donwload the apk and install it as usual, do you mean download the magisk apk to install on magisk manager? Do we download the magisk apk on our phones or on our pc and transfer it.

thelazypeanut

Sep 18, 2014
Is there a guide for rooting RP2 that is still on Oreo 8.1? I'm on ATT and haven't gotten the pie upgrade and would like to root to use my hotspot.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

In the best interest to provide clarity I'm creating this quick and easy tutorial on how to root your Razer Phone 2 after the Pie Upgrade. Please send me any feedback to improve this post, we need to build up a strong community.

*As usual, I'm not responsible of any damage or brick to your phone, do it at your own risk.

Pre-Requirements:
    -Be sure to have at least 70% of charges... or plug your phone to power
    -Backup anything you consider important
    -Already installed Pie Upgrade via OTA or Side Loaded​

-Enable Developer Options
    • Open Phone "Settings" and scroll down.
    • You will see an option "Build Number".
    • Simply tap on it 7 times to enable it on your Android Oreo based device.
    • Your device immediately display a message on screen that will say "You are now a developer".
    • The Developer Option is now available in the Settings>System>Developer Options. Enjoy!​

- Install Android Drivers (https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb) and ADB, I personally recommend -[TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [2-9-18] - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

-Unlock Bootloader
    • To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings > Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock
    • Using ADB commands reboot on bootloader​

adb reboot bootloader

• After reboot completes follow phone menus and select "UNLOCK BOOTLOADER"; accept all warnings, after restart you have completed the unlock.​

Root and Installing Magisk
    Since our phone doesn't have a proven customer recovery fully working (Ex TWRP) Magisk needs to be installed by manually patching the device boot image.

Making leverage of Warrior1988 post [Root Magisk Pie Update For Unlocked Devices] all credits to him. Download the image from his post

• Boot in fastboot mode To boot into fastboot, press and hold the Power button + Volume Down Keys for few seconds; Copy the image on the same folder as your ADB and Run the following commands:

fastboot reboot

Install Magisk Download the apk and install it as usual on your RP2, that should be all.

DONE!!!! You now have a unleashed the beast! Please send me any recommendations to improved this guide.
    Your link has everything necessary for this step, right? Direct link to version 1.4.3 is here: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=746010030569952951
    Or are drivers and ADB two separate downloads?

I assume this is where we plug our phone into our computer?

For anyone dumb and new like me, I think this is with cmd.exe in Windows. Win+S -> type "cmd" (without quotation marks) and hit enter. Once open, you want to navigate to ADB, which you've already installed via the above instructions.

So your cmd will say:
    C:\Users\YourName>

And you want to get to ADB, so you'll type "cd" (without quotation marks) which means you want to change directories, and then "cd adb" (if its in C:\ directory) or "cd [whatever the path is to the ADB folder]\adb"
    Assuming it was directly in C:, you should see something like:
    C:\adb>

Now you want to type "adb devices" to make sure it sees your phone is plugged in. You should see: "list of devices attached - [model] device" or something.

Now you're ready to go with the instructions starting at "adb reboot bootloader." If I'm wrong about this, someone less new and dumb than I am please correct me.

I'm confused on this one. The first one has "flash*boot_a," but the second one has "flash boot_b" without the * symbol. What does the * do, and what happens if we mess it up? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

fastboot reboot

Here you go: P-MR2-RC001-RZR-190914.3123-boot.img
    How about the new update 9 Pie MR2 :
    Build number : P-MR2-SGT-RC002-RZR-190918.3666
    Can somebody help me root this !!!
    This has to be......one of the most usefull and noob friendly guides i have ever seen.....

You sir....are a God

Thank You.