• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Root without unlocking bootloader?

Search This thread

equistemi

Sep 15, 2019
There is any way to root my Mi note 7 without unlocking the bootloader? Because i want to have the mi account security features like find my fone etc.
Or any way to unlock the bootloader and still have the features.

Thanks for the attention and sorry about my bad english (if i write anything wrong i will be happy if you correct me)

darhma

Jul 1, 2016
ZTE Blade V9
There is any way to root my Mi note 7 without unlocking the bootloader? Because i want to have the mi account security features like find my fone etc.

Thanks for the attention and sorry about my bad english (if i write anything wrong i will be happy if you correct me)
No, root needs the bootloader unlocked but I think that things like find my device is a google feature so maybe it can work with root ( maybe with magisk hide) but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

equistemi

Sep 15, 2019
No, root needs the bootloader unlocked but I think that things like find my device is a google feature so maybe it can work with root ( maybe with magisk hide) but I'm not sure.
Thanks for the reply!
But I'm talking about the xiaomi ones... Like the feature that if you press the on/off button 5 times the device enters on SOS mode etc.

dd721411

Jan 7, 2015
Biên Hoà
Thanks for the reply!
But I'm talking about the xiaomi ones... Like the feature that if you press the on/off button 5 times the device enters on SOS mode etc.
You have to unlock bootloader in order to root. If you want Mi features, you can stay on stock MIUI or switch to MIUI-based ROMs like Xiaomi.eu.

Slim K

May 16, 2015
HTC One (M8)
Sony Xperia Z5

No you can't, because magisk at least requires flashing a patched boot.img either through fastboot or a custom recovery, which is impossible without unlocked bootloader.

An interesting idea would be ( if you dare! ) to short certain test points when you take the device apart to force the phone into edl mode and flash the patched boot.img. but I wouldn't do that to my daily driver.

Reactions: Qwerty user

Ashwin01e

Jan 12, 2021
Without unlocking boot loader can i flash custom recovery ? Mobile condition is :-stuck in boot loop in redmi logo , i can reset but i want data so plz have anyone idea ,

Costom recovery ,stcok recovery or boot.img is this possible ,? REDMI 7

D

Deleted member 9635294

Without unlocking boot loader can i flash custom recovery ? Mobile condition is :-stuck in boot loop in redmi logo , i can reset but i want data so plz have anyone idea ,

Costom recovery ,stcok recovery or boot.img is this possible ,? REDMI 7
that is not the case for phones after Android 5

Qwerty user

Apr 19, 2019
No you can't, because magisk at least requires flashing a patched boot.img either through fastboot or a custom recovery, which is impossible without unlocked bootloader.

An interesting idea would be ( if you dare! ) to short certain test points when you take the device apart to force the phone into edl mode and flash the patched boot.img. but I wouldn't do that to my daily driver.
Is it safe to flash patch boot.img with edl mode ?

Slim K

May 16, 2015
HTC One (M8)
Sony Xperia Z5
I'm sorry to disappoint you, that I found out that Xiaomi devices have their EDL mode locked for only verified Xiaomi service accounts (which I don't have). So I couldn't test that hypothesis.

Another thing is, Xiaomi phones are not like other phones I used to have (like pixel or oneplus), where you could boot the phone with custom images signed by your own private key. (Vbmeta generation and signing). This method of booting custom images requires you to unlock first, make your own ROM, boot and TWRP, sign them with your all with your key and add that to your vbmeta partition. Which is a tedious Process and an unknown territory for me. Making it not really worth it to keep the Bootloader locked.

To summarize, It is almost impossible to root w/o unlocking (avoiding Avb). You either need the private key from Xiaomi, which only they know or you need to have a verified EDL account in order to try.

Reactions: Qwerty user

Qwerty user

Apr 19, 2019
I'm sorry to disappoint you, that I found out that Xiaomi devices have their EDL mode locked for only verified Xiaomi service accounts (which I don't have). So I couldn't test that hypothesis.

Another thing is, Xiaomi phones are not like other phones I used to have (like pixel or oneplus), where you could boot the phone with custom images signed by your own private key. (Vbmeta generation and signing). This method of booting custom images requires you to unlock first, make your own ROM, boot and TWRP, sign them with your all with your key and add that to your vbmeta partition. Which is a tedious Process and an unknown territory for me. Making it not really worth it to keep the Bootloader locked.

To summarize, It is almost impossible to root w/o unlocking (avoiding Avb). You either need the private key from Xiaomi, which only they know or you need to have a verified EDL account in order to try.
Thanks for reply Slim K. Its very sad new for me but the other thing is i can't unlock the bootloader of of my mi 5 device due to unknown reason chinese error.

Slim K

May 16, 2015
HTC One (M8)
Sony Xperia Z5
Thanks for reply Slim K. Its very sad new for me but the other thing is i can't unlock the bootloader of of my mi 5 device due to unknown reason chinese error.
Please read all of this thread first. Make sure you're using the Official unlock tool and that your sim card number is registered to the same MI account as primary phone number. Use find my device to find out if everything is correct.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, thanks for all the replies! My question is answered! Thanks for all of you.