• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Root without unlocking bootloader?

Search This thread
Jan 29, 2021
Google Pixel 5
I accidentally bought the Verizon locked variant of the pixel 5. Now I can't unlock bootloader to flash the custom rims. Is gaining root access possible without unlocking the bootloader? If not, how would I go about unlocking the bootloader on this unnecessarily locked down pixel 5?

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
I accidentally bought the Verizon locked variant of the pixel 5. Now I can't unlock bootloader to flash the custom rims. Is gaining root access possible without unlocking the bootloader? If not, how would I go about unlocking the bootloader on this unnecessarily locked down pixel 5?
No root without unlocking the bootloader and the Verizon models cannot be unlocked.

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 5
😂😂 How do you just "accidently" buy a Verizon locked phone?? Just like everybody else that bought a Verizon locked phone you'll never unlock the bootloader. Take it back if it's not doin it for you

l7777

May 2, 2007
I got it from best buy, and they activated it on verizon for me. It was supposed to be the unlocked model.
"Unlocked" in most people's minds is carrier unlock. The subset that cares and knows about BL unlock is very small. Another good measuring stick is discounts. If there is a discount beyond what you can get at the Google store, it is likely a carrier specific device and will have the BL locked permanently.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
"Unlocked" in most people's minds is carrier unlock. The subset that cares and knows about BL unlock is very small. Another good measuring stick is discounts. If there is a discount beyond what you can get at the Google store, it is likely a carrier specific device and will have the BL locked permanently.
This is really not directed towards you, I know for a fact you know all this. I don't even think the sales people at BB know what bl unlock means. And unlocked has nothing to do with the ability to bootloader unlock, I just can't believe that this is still an issue for some folks. As for carrier devices you are entirely correct, however, I do believe that the only carrier that will permanently lock the OEM switch is Verizon but I could be wrong on that one. Even TM will allow you to bl unlock once you pay off the device. Verizon will never ever allow it. So the previous poster, even though the rep activated it on Verizon, it's device specific. I bought my P5 directly from Google and immediately activated it on Verizon with a physical sim and an eSim also on VZW. My OEM switch is still active to bl unlock it.

One final point, which I've made before, even Google sells a Verizon P5 through the Google store. If you buy that one it will not allow you to bl unlock no matter what you do. So I'm assuming BB has the same kind of setup, if you buy the VZW device you are **** out of luck. I once got stuck with a VZW Pixel and couldn't activate the eSim due to some silly VZW policy. It took me a month of phone calls to get refunded so never again. And I don't even bl unlock my devices any longer, but I want the option. Hey, you never know. lol

Jan 29, 2021
Google Pixel 5
This is really not directed towards you, I know for a fact you know all this. I don't even think the sales people at BB know what bl unlock means. And unlocked has nothing to do with the ability to bootloader unlock, I just can't believe that this is still an issue for some folks. As for carrier devices you are entirely correct, however, I do believe that the only carrier that will permanently lock the OEM switch is Verizon but I could be wrong on that one. Even TM will allow you to bl unlock once you pay off the device. Verizon will never ever allow it. So the previous poster, even though the rep activated it on Verizon, it's device specific. I bought my P5 directly from Google and immediately activated it on Verizon with a physical sim and an eSim also on VZW. My OEM switch is still active to bl unlock it.

One final point, which I've made before, even Google sells a Verizon P5 through the Google store. If you buy that one it will not allow you to bl unlock no matter what you do. So I'm assuming BB has the same kind of setup, if you buy the VZW device you are **** out of luck. I once got stuck with a VZW Pixel and couldn't activate the eSim due to some silly VZW policy. It took me a month of phone calls to get refunded so never again. And I don't even bl unlock my devices any longer, but I want the option. Hey, you never know. lol
The Verizon version and the unlocked version were the same price. But both of them had discounts if you activated service at checkout.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
The Verizon version and the unlocked version were the same price. But both of them had discounts if you activated service at checkout.
Yeah, I know that. I never did understand the particulars of that but I'm sure it has something to do with money of some sort to someone. There was always too much fine print and conditions. I'm pretty much stuck on Pixel now so I'll only buy from Google and hope for some kind of discount. On the P5 I got $50 off for something or other. If I were to buy an iPhone I would go to an Apple store. But the other members of my family have all carrier branded devices because they don't give a darn about unlocked carrier or bl able.