Search This thread
What I do know is that there is a variant of your model that if rooted, it loses the camera function...

On the other hand, in the warranty paper, see if there isn't a link for you to consult...

No more consult a lawyer
Thanks - I believe that it's the Z Fold which has the problem with the camera breaking, not the Z Flip.

Nope, there's no link within the warranty documentation that came with my handset.

Everybody is saying that Samsung will void warranty on a rooted phone. I'm just trying to find out where they actually say that, and how am I - as an owner of a Samsung handset - meant to know about it?

cater2

Aug 4, 2021
Samsung Galaxy M12
Thanks - I believe that it's the Z Fold which has the problem with the camera breaking, not the Z Flip.

Nope, there's no link within the warranty documentation that came with my handset.

Everybody is saying that Samsung will void warranty on a rooted phone. I'm just trying to find out where they actually say that, and how am I - as an owner of a Samsung handset - meant to know about it?
If you don't have anything written about rooting your warranty, there's a good chance that in your country you won't lose your warranty.

In my case the paper says that I lose the warranty by installing non-genuine Samsung software

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
All I know is that Samsung is a multinational with enormous powers...
Audi is a multinational and if I was to remap the ECU on a new car from them it would void the warranty. I would be pushing the physical parts of the vehicle to do more than they were designed to do by "overclocking" the speed I run the vehicle at. Are you saying they should honour the warranty if I rallied the car in some races past its set out operational limits?

Valiante

Jul 7, 2013
Audi is a multinational and if I was to remap the ECU on a new car from them it would void the warranty. I would be pushing the physical parts of the vehicle to do more than they were designed to do by "overclocking" the speed I run the vehicle at. Are you saying they should honour the warranty if I rallied the car in some races past its set out operational limits?
There's actually already laws on this exact subject.

The car companies argued they should be able to void your warranty because you did not change your oil at their dealership, because you didn't allow them to do all the servicing, because you used different tires, etc.

That's where the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 stemmed from.

All those previously mentioned cases are not grounds for outright warranty denial, it must be proven that those things caused the malfunction.

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
There's actually already laws on this exact subject.

The car companies argued they should be able to void your warranty because you did not change your oil at their dealership, because you didn't allow them to do all the servicing, because you used different tires, etc.

That's where the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 stemmed from.

All those previously mentioned cases are not grounds for outright warranty denial, it must be proven that those things caused the malfunction.

Nothing to do with that. Car manufacturers will use the same engine in various variants of a car model. VW used a 2.0l diesel in the Golf for 1.8 and 2.0 versions. The ECU restricted the output and the service plans are built around the expected wear and tear of the engine based on the ECU performance. So if you remapped the ECU you add wear and tear to the engine the service plan and parts are not designed for, this reduced the lifetime of the engine and parts so the warranty is void.

Modifying the device so that the CPU is being operated outside the manufacturer's defaults adds wear and tear to the device and CPU, you affect the thermal output which may cause internal damage to the phone. So unlocking a device quite rightly voids the warranty as it can be used outside the agreed operating limits.

Reactions: DS1000RR

Valiante

Jul 7, 2013
Nothing to do with that. Car manufacturers will use the same engine in various variants of a car model. VW used a 2.0l diesel in the Golf for 1.8 and 2.0 versions. The ECU restricted the output and the service plans are built around the expected wear and tear of the engine based on the ECU performance. So if you remapped the ECU you add wear and tear to the engine the service plan and parts are not designed for, this reduced the lifetime of the engine and parts so the warranty is void.

Modifying the device so that the CPU is being operated outside the manufacturer's defaults adds wear and tear to the device and CPU, you affect the thermal output which may cause internal damage to the phone. So unlocking a device quite rightly voids the warranty as it can be used outside the agreed operating limits.

You're saying the exact same thing as I said already ... Lol. The onus is on the defendant to prove the modification caused the damage.

It has already been proven if a car's been modified to run outside of factory specs, that causes cause damage above and beyond normal wear and tear, thus voids the warranty.

Simply because a phone CAN be overclocked does not mean it has been. It also does not prove any damage has been caused by what one could POSSIBLY do.

By that same token, all warranty could be voided simply because you drink water and you COULD have spilled water on your device.

The onus is on the defendant to prove what actually caused the damage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to XDA 🤗

There's that pesky little efuse that protects Knox's integrity... once blown the mobo or that chipset needs to be replaced.
    Sammy will do it for $400 apparently, according to one member here who did what you're thinking of doing. Get to know it a bit first...
    Welcome to XDA 🤗

There's that pesky little efuse that protects Knox's integrity... once blown the mobo or that chipset needs to be replaced.
    Sammy will do it for $400 apparently, according to one member here who did what you're thinking of doing. Get to know it a bit first...
    Thank you so much for replying and for your advice and information, I really appreciate. Thank you again😊
    You could root it , use it for a year or two and then trade it in. I've traded in four so far with no issues.
    I think it is possible
    Please share the exact procedure of resetting Knox if you know it's possible.
    Hello XDA developers and and users,
    I just signed up and this is my first post.

Anyway I was wondering if I can root my S21 Ultra without voiding warranty and losing knox.... just in case I wanted to uninstall root and still have my warranty and knox services.

Sorry for too many tags.
    Knox services and factory warranty aren't the only casualties when you root a Galaxy device. Also it depends on how you root a device, that's assuming your device can even be BL unlocked. Many users end up with a very expensive paper weight as bricking the phone isn't uncommon. You'll lose Secure Folder, Samsung Pay, Health. OTA Updates can be restored if you flash the original FW via Odin. A number of apps can also be made unusable after root. I would weight these considerations beforehand as there are a number of apps which will customize your device without tripping the BL.