[ROOT] Workaround for Substratum on Android P beta

Search This thread

TENN3R

Dec 6, 2014
Italy
Disclamier: maybe someone already got it work in this way, I don't know, I just found this method.

I want to share a workaround I found that lets you enable substratum themes on Android P beta.
I am currently using Pixel with Android P Beta 3 and Magisk 16.4

It's pretty simple:
- Install substratum
- Install a theme
- Compile something you want (if there is a choice, "Android Oreo" or "8.1" should work good enough)
- Go to /sdcard/.substratum
- Copy the theme you just created
- Paste it in /system/app with any root file manager
- Reboot
- Enable theme in substratum overlays
- Done

Be careful, most probably systemui related themes can cause crash, since this is android 9 and you're installing android 8.x themes.

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
We already knew about this implementation and was already implemented since March on our internal betas.

We were holding back so that Google doesn't patch it that easily once the final previews drop.

Users and themers who use this method will use it at their own risk. Future updates of subs may or may not list these overlays because we will use a different but similar method to keep track of our overlays (for "uninstall all").

An XDA portal post will be released soon with the P beta in their hands, and afterwards it will be public released by our current maintainer - @MSF Jarvis.

Last edited:

tttuning

Dec 5, 2010
So I joined the beta group and went to install in Google store and this is what I'm seeing????never gave the option to install? Screenshot_20180630-101634.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SohamD

Jan 28, 2017
Mumbai
So I joined the beta group and went to install in Google store and this is what I'm seeing????never gave the option to install?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Uhh I think you just did the opposite and removed yourself from the beta :eek: That's why it's asking you to downgrade the app by reinstalling.

xSilas43

Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for sharing this is working for me on 9.0 official, who knows then the subs app is going to get updated to work so this is a great workaround in the mean time!

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

MArtyChubbs

There are a few themes that are already compatible with pie but not as complete as Swift black. First, i have not tested myself but version 998 is what I have installed and is rumored to be only version compatible with pie. I went to apkmirror and downloaded it, so I would check in substratum that you are on version 9 9 8. I like pitch black (pie compatible) as my themer of the system UI. And I also use it to theme the apps it supports. And it's fine to use Swift black for everything but the system UI, but you have to follow steps outlined below . The problem I think everyone's having with swift black is you have to then an enable the overlays manually as it does not do it via the substratum app automatically when building. So follow these steps until its pie compatible: build, reboot, now enable each SB overlay then you are good to go. Good luck ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ydd0ras

Dec 28, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Guys I have two devices with P: Xiaomi RN4x with AOSP 9 and a Xiaomi Mi A1 with semi 9 (PR1). On A1 i can use the method mentioned in OP. But on the other device that doesn't work, because there are no entries in /sdcard/.substratum, but directly in /system/app. After a reboot the files disapeared. Using 998 on both.
Any idea?

meistr91

Jan 26, 2015
Google Pixel 6
Guys I have two devices with P: Xiaomi RN4x with AOSP 9 and a Xiaomi Mi A1 with semi 9 (PR1). On A1 i can use the method mentioned in OP. But on the other device that doesn't work, because there are no entries in /sdcard/.substratum, but directly in /system/app. After a reboot the files disapeared. Using 998 on both.
Any idea?
Just enable show hidden files in your file explorer.
The method in the OP is outdated. See recent comments as you can theme without workaround

I have read all thread no one mentioned other steps jow to do it.
Plus when i copy overlays to system/app after reboot it disapear.. but I just pasted them in to system/app without folder. But I have set permission to rw-r-r.

TENN3R

Dec 6, 2014
Italy
The method I discovered is now outdated, I know, but since substratum is now compatible with Pie officially you just need the app, I used 998 beta from telegram channel and it always worked just fine. Now that v1001 is 100% updated to work with final Pie, this process in OP isn't necessary anymore :good:

SMS786

Nov 2, 2015
The method I discovered is now outdated, I know, but since substratum is now compatible with Pie officially you just need the app, I used 998 beta from telegram channel and it always worked just fine. Now that v1001 is 100% updated to work with final Pie, this process in OP isn't necessary anymore :good:
Confirmed to be working just fine with Pie [emoji108]

Abben21

May 20, 2017
Any tried installing substratum theme(pitch black)
Mine isn't showing the overlays in manager aftr rebooting.
Installed beta apk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclamier: maybe someone already got it work in this way, I don't know, I just found this method.

I want to share a workaround I found that lets you enable substratum themes on Android P beta.
    I am currently using Pixel with Android P Beta 3 and Magisk 16.4

It's pretty simple:
    - Install substratum
    - Install a theme
    - Compile something you want (if there is a choice, "Android Oreo" or "8.1" should work good enough)
    - Go to /sdcard/.substratum
    - Copy the theme you just created
    - Paste it in /system/app with any root file manager
    - Reboot
    - Enable theme in substratum overlays
    - Done

Be careful, most probably systemui related themes can cause crash, since this is android 9 and you're installing android 8.x themes.
    We already knew about this implementation and was already implemented since March on our internal betas.

We were holding back so that Google doesn't patch it that easily once the final previews drop.

Users and themers who use this method will use it at their own risk. Future updates of subs may or may not list these overlays because we will use a different but similar method to keep track of our overlays (for "uninstall all").

An XDA portal post will be released soon with the P beta in their hands, and afterwards it will be public released by our current maintainer - @MSF Jarvis.
    There are a few themes that are already compatible with pie but not as complete as Swift black. First, i have not tested myself but version 998 is what I have installed and is rumored to be only version compatible with pie. I went to apkmirror and downloaded it, so I would check in substratum that you are on version 9 9 8. I like pitch black (pie compatible) as my themer of the system UI. And I also use it to theme the apps it supports. And it's fine to use Swift black for everything but the system UI, but you have to follow steps outlined below . The problem I think everyone's having with swift black is you have to then an enable the overlays manually as it does not do it via the substratum app automatically when building. So follow these steps until its pie compatible: build, reboot, now enable each SB overlay then you are good to go. Good luck ?

Can you guys tell me which themes your using for this? I tried using swift dark but no go. Maybe I shouldn't try the systemUI ones?
    Victory works well it has Android 9 as an option now. I also use Swift dark for apps only system doesn't theme. Also Valerie but it has an issue when you activate the system theme you don't get notifications.
    Thanks for sharing this is working for me on 9.0 official, who knows then the subs app is going to get updated to work so this is a great workaround in the mean time!