• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT] [x3_row] Lenovo Vibe X3 ROW (X3a40) Bootloader Unlock, Root and TWRP

Search This thread

arpit_nnd

Jun 9, 2012
Bengaluru
i9100
OnePlus 3T
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens while/after flashing these files. Your device's fate is your own responsibility. Proceed at your own risk.

WARNING: Your device's warranty WILL BE void after this.

This thread and all its contents are meant solely for the ROW variant: X3a40.

Starting from S217 you can unlock the bootloader directly using Fastboot commands without modifying any file.
I will assume that you are aware of the basics of fastboot, flashing, TWRP, etc.

Supported stock ROMs: S217

UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER & ROOTING VIA TWRP
WARNING: Everything apart from data in external SD card will be wiped. Make sure to backup everything.
Make sure you read this post completely and carefully before implementing the steps.

1. Make sure you have backed up your data (everything apart from external SD card) on a PC or other storage.
  2. Run this Fastboot command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    (Of course you need to put the phone in Fastboot mode to run a Fastboot command. Refer this if you don't know key combinations for X3a40)
  3. Display turns off. That's all, you have unlocked the bootloader.
  4. Hold power button for sometime to power off, release and hold again to power on.
  5. No data gets wiped till this stage.
    • In theory(not tested all possibilities yet): Now if you make any modification to the filesystem or boot anything directly or after flashing via Fastboot, data gets wiped(first time only).
    • Confirmed behaviour:
      • If you boot TWRP directly (one-time TWRP) [fastboot boot twrp.img], it will boot, wipe and restart the device normally.
      • If you flash TWRP [fastboot flash recovery twrp.img] and reboot to recovery, TWRP will be overwritten by stock recovery, stock recovery will boot, wipe and restart the device normally.
  6. Once restarted, you can setup the phone as there won't be any more wipes.
  7. If you want to make any changes to the device's filesystem (e.g. get root access), you need to patch the boot image otherwise you will be stuck on Lenovo logo after making any changes and restarting.
    • The easiest way to do this is to flash the latest SuperSU zip which can always be grabbed from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu-stable
    • To flash the zip you need TWRP. Either directly boot(one-time TWRP) or flash and reboot to TWRP (it won't be overwritten now).
    • On first TWRP boot you will be asked whether to allow modifications to system. Choose any option according to your needs and then install the SuperSU zip.
    • If you chose to allow modifications to system or made any changes manually, make sure you flash the SuperSU zip before restarting else device will get stuck on Lenovo logo.
  8. If you somehow still somehow forget to implement the above step, and are stuck on Lenovo logo, don't worry. You can simply go to TWRP, flash SuperSU and reboot.
  9. Once SuperSU is installed (more appropriately, boot image is patched by SuperSU zip), you can make any modifications you feel like. Good luck ! :highfive:

NOTE:
  • You don't need to unlock bootloader again if you have done it earlier. It stays unlocked until you manually lock it (via fastboot oem lock command). You can always check current status using this command: fastboot oem device-info
  • Data wipe will happen only if you unlock while on S217.

DOWNLOADS

Last edited:

prathmesh01

Dec 2, 2012
Bangkok
Cool : AWESOME : we are waiting for

Now XDA has to provide us a dedicated forum for Vibe X3

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

root.zip contains everything , just needs to install using twrp
i installed supersu.zip and bricked my device(unbricked by qfil method). can u give me the link for root.zip u installed.
edit: i saw the freshly edited post now

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

can i install this twrp in r/w mode?

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

can i install twrp in r/w mode?

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

error while flashing modified files by qfil

Start Download
Program Path:C:\Users\Prathmesh\Downloads\Modified Bootloader Images for QFIL\Modded Images for QFIL\prog_emmc_firehose_8992_ddr.mbn
Binary build date: May 13 2015 @ 14:41:37
QSAHARASERVER CALLED LIKE THIS: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\QPST\bin\QSaharaServer.exe -p \\.\COM3 -s 13:C:\Users\Prathmesh\Downloads\Modified Bootloader Images for QFIL\Modded Images for QFIL\prog_emmc_firehose_8992_ddr.mbn 'Current working dir: C:\Users\Prathmesh\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\QFIL
Sahara mappings:
2: amss.mbn
6: apps.mbn
8: dsp1.mbn
10: dbl.mbn
11: osbl.mbn
12: dsp2.mbn
16: efs1.mbn
17: efs2.mbn
20: efs3.mbn
21: sbl1.mbn
22: sbl2.mbn
23: rpm.mbn
25: tz.mbn
28: dsp3.mbn
29: acdb.mbn
30: wdt.mbn
31: mba.mbn
13: C:\Users\Prathmesh\Downloads\Modified
20:17:28: ERROR: function: sahara_rx_data:194 Unable to read packet header. Only read 0 bytes.
20:17:28: ERROR: function: sahara_main:854 Sahara protocol error
20:17:28: ERROR: function: main:265 Uploading Image using Sahara protocol failed
Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail
Finish Download

edit: solved after i moved the folder in root on other drive

Last edited:

dewri21

May 17, 2014
Tezpur
@arpit_nnd You said to "Download the ZIP corresponding to your current stock firmware version from 'Secure Boot Disabled Boot Images' ". The thing is I have downloaded for 138 which I am currently on. But the QFIL package given in your other thread is 130. So this part is confusing me.

Last edited:
Reactions: raj7749

arpit_nnd

Jun 9, 2012
Bengaluru
i9100
OnePlus 3T
@arpit_nnd You said to "Download the ZIP corresponding to your current stock firmware version from 'Secure Boot Disabled Boot Images' ". The thing is I have downloaded for 138 which I am currently on. But the QFIL package given in your other thread is 130. So this part is confusing me.
You don't have to download the QFIL package. Sorry about that, Step 1 of PC Flashing guide isn't needed for rooting, just follow Step 2-10.
Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
Ahmedabad
When I try this step "Go to the folder where the drivers were installed ('C:/Program Files(x86)/LenovoUsbDriver' by default), get inside each folder one-by-one, right-click on the '.inf' file and click 'Install'."

It says " the Inf file you selected doesn't support this type of installation".

Fix?

Last edited:

arpit_nnd

Jun 9, 2012
Bengaluru
i9100
OnePlus 3T
When I try this step "Go to the folder where the drivers were installed ('C:/Program Files(x86)/LenovoUsbDriver' by default), get inside each folder one-by-one, right-click on the '.inf' file and click 'Install'."

It says " the Inf file you selected doesn't support this type of installation".

Fix?
Which Windows version ?
Did you disable driver signature enforcement?

arpit_nnd

Jun 9, 2012
Bengaluru
i9100
OnePlus 3T
I'm on Win 7 x64 .I skipped steps 3 to 5 as it was written below. So I have to do the 'restart windows to advanced mode thing' ?
No, you don't have to, rather it isn't available in Windows 7.

Look up the web for installing drivers.
One thing that I can suggest is to do is to boot into Qualcomm Diagnostic Mode, connect to PC, open Device Manager in Windows, select each of unknown devices related to the phone (there will be 3), go into Properties for each and install driver by browsing to Lenovo driver folder.

Last edited:

dewri21

May 17, 2014
Tezpur
@arpit_nnd Installing Lenovo_adb.inf doesn't show a confirmation or failure dialog. Installing Lenovo_vcom.inf gives me "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering." The other 3 infs install nicely.

dewri21

May 17, 2014
Tezpur
You can skip the VCOM one...

What about the adb? Idk much but I had once tried simple adb commands and they worked in x3.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

20:17:28: ERROR: function: sahara_rx_data:194 Unable to read packet header. Only read 0 bytes.
20:17:28: ERROR: function: sahara_main:854 Sahara protocol error
20:17:28: ERROR: function: main:265 Uploading Image using Sahara protocol failed
Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail
Finish Download

edit: solved after i moved the folder in root on other drive

How did you solve it exactly/ I am getting the same error :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens while/after flashing these files. Your device's fate is your own responsibility. Proceed at your own risk.

WARNING: Your device's warranty WILL BE void after this.

This thread and all its contents are meant solely for the ROW variant: X3a40.

Starting from S217 you can unlock the bootloader directly using Fastboot commands without modifying any file.
    I will assume that you are aware of the basics of fastboot, flashing, TWRP, etc.

Supported stock ROMs: S217

UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER & ROOTING VIA TWRP
    WARNING: Everything apart from data in external SD card will be wiped. Make sure to backup everything.
    Make sure you read this post completely and carefully before implementing the steps.

1. Make sure you have backed up your data (everything apart from external SD card) on a PC or other storage.
    2. Run this Fastboot command:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      (Of course you need to put the phone in Fastboot mode to run a Fastboot command. Refer this if you don't know key combinations for X3a40)
    3. Display turns off. That's all, you have unlocked the bootloader.
    4. Hold power button for sometime to power off, release and hold again to power on.
    5. No data gets wiped till this stage.
      • In theory(not tested all possibilities yet): Now if you make any modification to the filesystem or boot anything directly or after flashing via Fastboot, data gets wiped(first time only).
      • Confirmed behaviour:
        • If you boot TWRP directly (one-time TWRP) [fastboot boot twrp.img], it will boot, wipe and restart the device normally.
        • If you flash TWRP [fastboot flash recovery twrp.img] and reboot to recovery, TWRP will be overwritten by stock recovery, stock recovery will boot, wipe and restart the device normally.
    6. Once restarted, you can setup the phone as there won't be any more wipes.
    7. If you want to make any changes to the device's filesystem (e.g. get root access), you need to patch the boot image otherwise you will be stuck on Lenovo logo after making any changes and restarting.
      • The easiest way to do this is to flash the latest SuperSU zip which can always be grabbed from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu-stable
      • To flash the zip you need TWRP. Either directly boot(one-time TWRP) or flash and reboot to TWRP (it won't be overwritten now).
      • On first TWRP boot you will be asked whether to allow modifications to system. Choose any option according to your needs and then install the SuperSU zip.
      • If you chose to allow modifications to system or made any changes manually, make sure you flash the SuperSU zip before restarting else device will get stuck on Lenovo logo.
    8. If you somehow still somehow forget to implement the above step, and are stuck on Lenovo logo, don't worry. You can simply go to TWRP, flash SuperSU and reboot.
    9. Once SuperSU is installed (more appropriately, boot image is patched by SuperSU zip), you can make any modifications you feel like. Good luck ! :highfive:

NOTE:
    • You don't need to unlock bootloader again if you have done it earlier. It stays unlocked until you manually lock it (via fastboot oem lock command). You can always check current status using this command: fastboot oem device-info
    • Data wipe will happen only if you unlock while on S217.

DOWNLOADS
    Hello everyone!
    In the near future, I will finish work on a custom kernel for X3a40.
    Unfortunately, I do not know much English, so all of my work will be placed here.
    Thank you.
    Thanks mate. Can you please check the available MM Chinese rom just uploaded yesterday. It's not going pass the boot logo. Can you provide a good working solution for the same

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Honestly speaking, that guy has created a lot of mess for me everywhere. Even on this thread. He has been warned my moderators and his posts removed.
    Apart from that, he is always trolling me, pretending to be a know-all.

Still, I looked at some aspects of that ROM (haven't flashed or downloaded completely) which were talked about on the G+ community. The reason is he has forgotten to mention that you need to flash the system.img (the file which has the real ROM). So what everyone is doing is just flash the other partitions of the firmware. Obviously, it won't boot because you will still have the ROW ROM but with other firmware files for a different model (the Chinese X3c50).

Personally, I am not into cooking(modify files of existing one's and repack) ROMs so I didn't bother to look into the matter much. I prefer to work on sources and compile one. But, when I saw a lot people were having issues, I attempted to work with him to sort out the issue but, he began trolling again. I will try looking at the issue every now and then (whenever I get time) and share a fix which works for everyone/create a fresh cooked ROM if there's enough demand and that guy's build doesn't work out. Please do not expect any ETAs though.

The problem is that I am so occupied with my work and college projects (which have deadlines) that I am not able to devote enough time to the phone. I hope you guys understand.
    Meanwhile, cooking a ROM isn't all that difficult. Even you can make one after a few hours of research(provided you have some prior experience with Android tinkering else it would take longer).
    Let's hope we improve the community and work peacefully with each other.