Root Xiaomi Mi A2 Using Magisk (Simple Guide)

Search This thread
Jan 18, 2015
Faridabad
I am unable to install xposed module via Magisk. After installing xposed module and restarting the phone, it is stuck at boot screen animation. Although other modules are working fine.

Last edited:

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Since any OTAs will over write the patched_boot.img file, is it safe to a assume that recovery will still be able to process stock OTAs prior to being overwriten?

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
why wouldn't you flash this into boot permanently versus just temporarily into vram which will disappear upon reboot?

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

Depends on Xiaomi to be honest, I searched and found conflicting opinions about xiaomi being okay with rooting and still provide warranty on the device (hardware, that is). Technically, they shouldn't as rooting allows you do to things that can easily shorten your device's life. But I just wanted to use substratum on my new Mi A2 without losing the warranty on a brand new phone as it might have defects which I haven't noticed yet. (And as I've heard andromeda is **** so won't pay for that.)
Andromeda works well, it is just slightly more of a hassle, but it works well in allowing you to theme non rootable phones.

dodjob

Jan 25, 2008
Maxhütte-Haidhof
Hey there,
I somehow wrecked my original camera app ( I have now com.camera.android...etc) and half of it is working following a gcamera install (no idea which one, I tried tons of them) ANd I was wondering if I can simply flash the system.img (extracted from OTA dump) with fastboot to get all back as it should be ^^
I would not hesitate on other devices but I'm quite prudent with this one.
I have the 9.6.10, rooted + magisk.
-Do I have to reflash the modded boot.img?
-Will magisk survive it? do I have to uninstall it before/reflash it after?
-Any info/idea/opinion?
Regards,
H.

Last edited:

hugopg

Jan 8, 2011
Hey, I just unlocked my device and rooted it following this thread, so thank you! Can someone explain to me what I need to do when the next OTA arrives? Thanks!

bartoloandre98

Oct 9, 2010
when ota arrives can you just update and return to stock unrooted or do you have to install the august img manually before you do ota?

hugopg

Jan 8, 2011
Can someone please explain what we need to do to OTA sucessfuly when it arrives? Considering the fact that we unlocked bootloader and rooted the device following this thread tutorial? Thank you

thedisturbedone

Nov 5, 2011
I tried fastboot flashing your patched boot image file to my current 9.0 rom. But magisk says it's not installed. What could I be doing wrong?

thedisturbedone

Nov 5, 2011
What's wrong is that you didn't read the instructions on the OP carefully.

The patched boot image only works with the latest build of Oreo. You are trying to flash this on Pie.

Assumed the boot img wouldn't change.

Edit: Nvm, got it working. 16.7 kept throwing an error but 17.0 patched the boot img successfully and now I have root! For anyone wanting the patched boot img for 9.0, PM me. I won't attach here coz it will confuse people.

Last edited:

ilyas111

Feb 4, 2011
i have used this tutorial for rooting my A2. everything is running perfect gcam, magisk e.t.c I have installed all my apps. now I have realized I haven't run that fastboot unlock critical command. will that be a problem? I don't want to lose all my data..

kadu20es

Aug 29, 2018
Vitória
I have installed the september security update via OTA. The version number now is V9.6.12.0.ODIMIFE.
Is needed the same patched version of the boot to proceed?

kadu20es

Aug 29, 2018
Vitória
You have a unlocked bootloader + root with magisk and installed the OTA normally? And no issues?

No, no, Hugopg. I did everything wrong with Majisk and the boot image (a noob thing) and had to reinstall stock rom with MiFlash and then installed OTA update. Now I just wanna know if I need the boot version of the update to root again (from the very beginning) or I can use the v9.6.10.0ODIMIFE instead.

hugopg

Jan 8, 2011
No, no, Hugopg. I did everything wrong with Majisk and the boot image (a noob thing) and had to reinstall stock rom with MiFlash and then installed OTA update. Now I just wanna know if I need the boot version of the update to root again (from the very beginning) or I can use the v9.6.10.0ODIMIFE instead.

I don't think using the v9.6.10.0ODIMIFE is as good idea. Did you lock the bootloader? If not, you could probably do the 'root process' all over again when a new patched_img is available, right? Or maybe wait for some people in the forum to post a tutorial or something, better safe than sorry!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To Root your Mi A2 you will have to first unlock its bootloader, follow all steps correctly to gain root access on your Mi A2 device,

NOTE : All data will be wiped during bootloader unlocking, so make sure to backup each and every thing on your device.

first of all enable developer option & then enable OEM unlocking & USB debugging,

Now setup adb and fastboot drivers on your laptop/PC,

Now connect your Mi A2 (on state) and allow USB debugging popup.

now boot into fastboot mode (power off and press & hold volume down + power key simultaneously)

now connect your mi a2 to your laptop/pc,

now run fastboot oem unlock it will unlock the bootloader and reboot your device, also will wipe data,

now again setup the device and enable developer option, enable OEM unlocking, enable USB debugging, and connect to allow usb debugging.

now once again boot into fastboot mode (as described above), and connect your mi a2 to your laptop/pc

now download august months (V9.6.10.0.ODIMIFE, August 5 2018.) patched_boot.img (dont use if you are on any other month patch) use that months patched_boot.img file only.

now put the patched_boot.img to adb folder.

now again open the command or powershell window, and run fastboot boot patched_boot.img

it will boot your device, now just download the Magisk manager apk and install it.

open magisk manager and click on install, then direct install (recommended),

it will now download the magisk zip file and flash it at its own, after its done simply reboot your Mi A2 and voila we have successfully rooted our Mi A2.

let me know if you have any issues following this tutorial.
    Hi y'all!

I just extracted stock boot.img for september patch (V.9.6.13.0.ODIMIFE) and patched it with Magisk 17.1 successfully.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tSuiMYCvEhmh9Qa_wMHwh6ehJWWS6CQJ?usp=sharing
    Installing steps still the same as OP.

*as always, disclaimer: responsible for any loss or damage.
    Any steps to update to Sept?

Currently I am on:
    9.6.10 with patched boot image so cant update
    Rooted with magisk 17.1
    Gcam

So the steps are like this?
    Fastboot flash stock boot image
    Fastboot flash update/ota update like normal
    Fastboot flash patched boot image to gain root back.
    Is this correct?

Any boot loop / sytem force close during/after process

I fastboot clean flashed 9.6.13 and then booted patched image and installed magisk.
    Thanks for this guide, will I be able to update my phone after I use the patched_boot.img?
    It will overwrite the patched boot image so you'll have to update the patched boot image for each update