• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Root+Xposed+Busybox for Bootloader Locked Moto X ATT/VZW

s5610

Sep 13, 2014
Chişinău
Only fresh flashed bootloader locked XT1058 AT&T - ROM LPAS23.12-21.7-1, and XT1060 VZW - ROM LPAS23.12-39.7-1 are supported!

See archive content for instructions. Time to install ~20 min. If you experience problems after Android boot, like not working buttons or quick settings, wipe cache + data partitions. Don't update SuperSU (disable auto updates), it won't work. Later I'll post complete debloated ROMs with fresh SuperSU version, and simplify instructions. Be informed also, that this method doesn't give you read-write rights like unlocked bootloader. You may read and write having root-rights, but only till a restart or shutdown occurs, and every change will be undo by the Qualcomm protection (like HTC' s=on).

At the moment patch includes:
  • SuperSU 2.65 Free
  • Xposed Framework v86 (installer, modules)
  • Busybox 1.25.0.YDS, path /system/xbin/busybox
Download

P.S. Install only on indicated above ROM versions, and it's obvious that you must have enough theory knowledge and practical experience to make use of 9008 patch, so I'm not responsible for any consequences, etc. Greets go to: CrashXXL (method inventor), Sabissimo (our former OP), and serg_gangubas (ROM guru).

==============================================================================================

31.07.2017 - Full ROM Patch for Bootloader Locked Moto X ATT/VZW/etc

Based on the same principle, and not depend on system partition content, so it suits any bootloader locked Moto X Gen1 ATT/VZW (possibly any model, besides 1049 RepW / 1055 US Cell), but takes about 4 hours to be done - prepare for that, 100% battery level only!

This full ROM patch includes:
  • SuperSU 2.82 Free
  • Xposed Framework v87 (installer, modules)
  • Busybox 1.26.2, path /system/xbin/busybox
  • ViperFX 2.5.0.5 - sorry needs polishing, removed now (
  • Gallery and Camera not depend on Moto services
  • Gboard instead AOSP Keyboard. If it eats too much RAM, see Simple Keyboard
  • GAPPSes updated. Use command like adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.blahblah.blah to block any unwanted app or service
  • ES File Explorer Free Edition (a clone, you can disable and install yours )
  • "Jedy" gesture
  • AdBlock support (effect lasts till the 1st reboot yet, I'll think about make it constant). Please, choose /data/hosts instead of /system/etc/hosts
  • ROM debloated, but not deodexed.
Download

Instruction

Be careful, phone will be WIPED then flashed in 9008 "brick" mode (CrashXXL idea). Before you start install Moto drivers, latest RSD Lite, and fully charge the battery.

1) Download and unpack zip on С: (or any), open Python27, launch RUN_path.bat (needs to be launched only single time), install driver QHSUSB_driver.exe, and launch file _Moto.X.BootLocked.*.exe (where * - is desired ROM).
2) Go into fastboot mode, execute RUN_blbroke.bat. Screen gets black, Device Manager in Windows finds "QHSUSB_DLOAD", and installs it as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM*)". If it doesn't install, google for Windows driver digital signature disable.
3) Now launch RUN_root.bat, and see that patching process took start.
4) A small patch *SPEAKERS.BOOST.exe (if exists) boosts both speakers' volume.

P.S. Please, don't flash anything extra into the phone. In case of trouble, all you need is inside this folder. Just make it work.
To make "Battery OK" in fastboot use fastboot_cyclecharge.bat
Completely drained out battery causing "USB input device" needs disassembly of the phone to charge externally.

In case Titanium Backup shows error "Batch backup interrupted: insufficient free storage space", delete default backup folder, and make a new:
Titanium Backup > Menu > Preferences > Backup folder location > Storage Provider > DocumentProvider storage > Show Internal Storage > Internal Storage > Select Internal Storage > Create the folder > Use the current folder. Done!

Notes for myself: Viper, force wipe, readme.txt, volume patch, Adblock, advanced debloat

Last edited:

s5610

Sep 13, 2014
Chişinău
As soon as I can actually get 5.1 flashed I'll try this.
Though I'm afraid I'll have to try to go to stock and use sunshine first, still have a locked BL.
But this is great, I didn't expect root so soon.
Wait wait... If you can have now possibility to unlock bootloader - go for it immediately! You will have normal FULL root-rights (SuperSU 2.49). Don't install 5.1, if you plan to unlock, because Sunshine app (25$) works only on 4.4.2 Android.

This topic is to help those AT&T users that are boot locked forever (who missed out possibility to unlock on 4.4.2 by proceed to 5.1) to give them READ-ONLY root. Yes, it's limited, but anything at least.

Reactions: DownTheCross

DownTheCross

Feb 23, 2010
Berea, KY
www.lfth.tk
Ahh, if I don't have to be BL unlocked that's great lol.
I haven't read too much into the 5.1 updates or sunshine for that matter.

I've been on krypton 1.4.1 since it was released, and I haven't been able to successfully upgrade to any 5.1 roms yet.

fishyfish777

May 14, 2015
Works great!

Works great for me on Windows 10 RTM 64-bit! Thanks a ton, I was waiting for a post like this.

I only had 3 minor hiccups:
1. RSD Lite gave me an error about "getvar", so I had to go into flashfile.xml in the ROM zip and remove the line that said getvar
2. I had to reboot to disable driver signature enforcement twice for some reason because Windows Update
3. The run-root.bat got stuck on "Executing..." because I installed the wrong driver (the correct file is qcusb.inf when installed from device manager -> browse my computer for driver software -> let me pick from a list -> all devices -> have disk)

Otherwise, everything runs just as well as KitKat, including Xposed.

Last edited:

DejanPet

Dec 6, 2014
System Write

How can we help in getting the system write to zero using the same method,because I have xt1058 model bootloader unlocked and I provide any file needed to disable the pesky system write...

Last edited:
Reactions: wildblade64

jahrule

Apr 3, 2012
How can we help in getting the system write to zero using the same method,because I have xt1058 model bootloader unlocked and I provide any file needed to disable the pesky system write...
First, never quote op. It takes way to much space and is redundant.
Second, to get write off we would need to some how either start a custom kernel some magical way or disable it via a kernel mod like htc guys did. Another way, which was done before was to burn the efuse but kernel has been patched since then.

Reactions: fasi Uz Zaman

maquechen

Apr 30, 2011
Need some help, I did all steps until step 9. I installed the QHSUSB_DLOAD driver manually, and I can see 'Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM4)' showed in my Device Manager, but when I run 'RUN_Root.bat', I got this

c:\Python27>python qdloadRoot.py MPRG8960.bin -ptf root/partitions.txt
QDLoad utility version 1.2 (c) VBlack 2014
Found TTY port: com4
Sending MAGIC ...
QCOM fast download protocol targ:
Version: 7
Compatible version 2
Maximum block size 1024 (0x00000400)
Base address of Flash 0x00000000
Flash: eMMC
Window size: 30
Number of sectors: 128
First sector size: 2097152 (0x00200000)
Feature bits: 09
Sending SBL Reset...
Done

c:\Python27>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Then I tried to run 'RUN_Root.bat' again, then I got
c:\Python27>python qdloadRoot.py MPRG8960.bin -ptf root/partitions.txt
QDLoad utility version 1.2 (c) VBlack 2014
Found TTY port: com4
Requesting Params...
Params:
Version: 8
Min version: 1
Max write size: 1536 (0x00000600)
Model: 144
Device size: Invalid or unrecognized Flash device, or Flash device progr
amming not supported by this implementation
Device type: Intel 28F400BX-TL or Intel 28F400BV-TL
Requesting SoftwareVersion...
Version: PBL_DloadVER2.0
Requesting SerialNumber...
Serial number: 00,00,48,03
Requesting HW Id...
HW Id: 00,00,48,03,e1,10,7e,00
Requesting PublicKey...
PublicKey: 39,c4,ee,3e,b5,be,eb,87,8e,2f,e3,b8,53,4d,14,6f,91,ca,fd,bb,94,2a,0d
,aa,d0,1e,b0,87,62,d4,b9,b8
Uploading file 'MPRG8960.bin' to addr 0x2a000000...
Executing...
Could not find Qualcomm device in Emergency download mode
Done, with errors!!!

c:\Python27>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

DejanPet

Dec 6, 2014
First, never quote op. It takes way to much space and is redundant.
Second, to get write off we would need to some how either start a custom kernel some magical way or disable it via a kernel mod like htc guys did. Another way, which was done before was to burn the efuse but kernel has been patched since then.
Ill put the files here ;)

Last edited:

eze_cba17

Oct 15, 2012
Fantastic!!! I was looking this. All the last week I was sleeping about 3 hours per day trying to root my phone.
----
I scream "Victory" before the process finish.
Damn! My phone reboot and stay in the android doll fallen screen. :(

Last edited:

Lighter222

Jul 28, 2015
Sabissimo
Hello.
I did everything as instructed, but eventually got the screen "no command".
The only thing I did not flash rom - a month ago updated by an OTA to 5.1, thought it was not necessary.
Factory reset does not help.
Advise something.

In the end, everything worked, thank you))

Last edited: