Root XT910 Jelly Bean (EASY way)

Search This thread

albertaz

Aug 10, 2010
Udine
I have another kind of problem:

my RAZR got rooted smoothly, then I ruined it by mistakingly formatting the "system" partition of Slot1 in BMM.

I had to reinstall in a haste and installed 982.124.14.XT910.Retail.en.EU for the 2nd time in 3 days ...

Now when I repeat the treatment I get this

"Rooting Phone; Your phone may appear to reboot. Please ignote this and continue with the exploit" but then, after a long while, this message shows up:

"/system/bin/sh: /storage/rfs0/pwn: not found"

so the RAZR does not restart and the root is not applied!!!

What could I do?

belovedson

Dec 21, 2010
Bothell, WA and Fortuna, CA
For quick results, follow these steps: (moderators, please put this tutorial in the main post to help the others. Thanks)

1 - Download the Virtual Box from Oracle - Choose the version that suits to your OS: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
2 - Download the .ova file to use with Virtual Box: https://mega.co.nz/#!ZtRmDITb!Cg6dEwem_N4FKzJDUOvWQjtQoLoN2Ip7UcupGCyVL18

It's mandatory to have access to a wireless connection between your phone and your PC. You can also use other methods, but I really don't know if they are effective.

Download and install the Virtual Box, giving all the authorizations to install some virtual adapters. After doing it, import the "Root_Bionic_JB.ova" using CTRL + I as the screens below (mine is in portuguese-BR, but you'll understand):

root1.png

root2.PNG

root3.png

Then, press CTRL + S to enable the Virtual Box to detect your phone using the USB Port:

root5.png

Now, you're ready to begin. Press Start:

root4.png

rootrazrmaxx.png

Be sure that your phone is connected as Media Device (MTP) and the debugging mode is enabled. Then, follow the path as the screens below and insert the IP configuration which appears at the Virtual Box screen:

59591126.png

17161006.png

34432921.png

Now, see if you phone will show the following screen:

screenshot2013043009165.png

If positive, press enter at the Virtual Box screen and see if it will change, saying that your device is detected. Then, connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable and verify if the Virtual Box will detect it:

rootrazrmaxx5.png

rootrazrmaxx2.png

If positive, you will need to press enter and follow the process at the screen, as above. Once your phone vibrates, press enter and wait till the next step. Press enter again to reboot.

Congratulations. Now you have a Razr (Maxx) with Jelly Bean rooted.

second link is not working

B

b.o.n.s

can someone post the files so we can root our phones?
thank you in advance!

kosh2thamax

Nov 15, 2010
16 pages and no one can give me any hint on why i can't get a host IP address?

I had the same problem you got to change the setting in internet protocol 4 (properties) and change it to automatic.

Step by step right click (right coner) on wireless connection / open network and sharin connection/ click vitrual box host-only connections and a window should open then hit properties and then you should see protocol 4 click it then properties and make the option obtain automatically and run the program again it should work

IF THIS HELPED HIT THE THanks button
<<<<<<< :D

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

I neither get a host IP address!
I tried on Windows and on Mac but the problem is the same!

My router is set on DHCP!

here you goo
Step by step:
right click (right coner) on wireless connection /
open network and sharin connection/
click vitrual box host-only connections
and a window should open then hit properties and then you should see protocol 4 click it then properties and make the option obtain automatically and run the program again it should work

Reactions: R3dbeaver

albertaz

Aug 10, 2010
Udine
Sorry but which right corner?
I mean, of which window?

When I run the VM with the "Linux minimal" machine I see only "Network Adapter" in the lower right corner and I see no sharing connection or other (I am on a Mac notebook).

????

I had the same problem you got to change the setting in internet protocol 4 (properties) and change it to automatic.

Step by step right click (right coner) on wireless connection / open network and sharin connection/ click vitrual box host-only connections and a window should open then hit properties and then you should see protocol 4 click it then properties and make the option obtain automatically and run the program again it should work

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

here you goo
Step by step:
right click (right coner) on wireless connection /
open network and sharin connection/
click vitrual box host-only connections
and a window should open then hit properties and then you should see protocol 4 click it then properties and make the option obtain automatically and run the program again it should work

p_vhd

Dec 7, 2011
I followed the procedure and all the network adaptors and drivers are installed. However, I still can't manage to connect to VM using remote storage. I receive a network error. Any idea about the reason, and the possible solutions?
BTW, in the network setting, I choose "Host-only adapter" and " Virtual box host-only Ethernet adapter". USB debugging is activated and xt910 is shown and checked in the USB settings of VM.

R3dbeaver

Feb 17, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario

nope. Host IP address still <blank>

Nice try though. I didn't realize the VBox ethernet is set to static by default.

edit: I did CTRL^C and checked ifconfig, No IP address.

garyngkt

May 7, 2009
When I try to run the .ova file on my Virtual box it gives an error "Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_MISMATCH.NATIVE), any idea what is causing this?. Thanks.

Update : Virtual Box has to be run as administrator on Windows. Finally rooted.

Last edited:

teomor

Mar 23, 2011
Can't get past the "daemon has been started" step. I tried both my USB ports and both the newest drivers and the ones from the download link. I'm on Windows 8, BTW.. Can anyone suggest some other options?

I've had no success at all :( Is there another root method?

Last edited:

Antlink

Jun 12, 2010
Can't get past the "daemon has been started" step. I tried both my USB ports and both the newest drivers and the ones from the download link. I'm on Windows 8, BTW.. Can anyone suggest some other options?

I've had no success at all :( Is there another root method?

Try turning it off and back on again, your PC that is.

Also i'm looking for a new download link for the Virtual Box .ova file

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I apologize if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, I did skim through the main posts and perform a search for the general topic. This root method is basicly just djrbliss' over @ droidrzr.com except it was massively simplified by another user named marty45714. So essentially this is technically now a method to root xt910 using windows! And its SUPER simple, especially for non Linux users like myself. Here is a direct quote of his post:

"Moderator,

I spent the weekend working on something really lightweight to get this done easily, and I've finally got it working and ready.
    Using Oracle VirtualBox with a Tiny Core Linux VM, I've managed to get this down to a 46 MB download.
    Everything is automatic... helps the user get connected to SMB, then helps with getting connected with USB debugging before running the exploit.
    I spent most of the entire weekend tweaking with Tiny Core Linux to get this ready. Please share. Where's the best place to start a new thread to get the word out about this?

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC. [EDIT: Link ---> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads <--- Provided my MichelBFR, aint he swell? ;)]

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file here:
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/bb53ayj5c3nd5ie/Root_Bionic_JB.ova?token_hash=AAGSOYfPuDXTur_e9qlYl2JRERovPyfMwe-2xNzHXg4Lxg&dl=1 [EDIT: Link dead, see below]

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console."

I also apologize for not coding links etc, I am not an advanced forum user. I just really wanted to share this with anyone who may not have come across this as of yet. If any of you need any further assistance I can try to help as I have successfully used this method and I know absolutely nothing about linux. Enjoy!

EDIT: New link uploaded for step #2 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?84f3hkx11bpl3fc <---- Thanks MichelBFR!!! [LINK UPDATED]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ****** NEW TUTORIAL ******

MichelBFR has gone the extra mile and simplified this process even further on page three, check it out! ======> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40901777&postcount=30
    Tutorial

For quick results, follow these steps: (moderators, please put this tutorial in the main post to help the others. Thanks)

1 - Download the Virtual Box from Oracle - Choose the version that suits to your OS: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    2 - Download the .ova file to use with Virtual Box: https://mega.co.nz/#!ZtRmDITb!Cg6dEwem_N4FKzJDUOvWQjtQoLoN2Ip7UcupGCyVL18

It's mandatory to have access to a wireless connection between your phone and your PC. You can also use other methods, but I really don't know if they are effective.

Download and install the Virtual Box, giving all the authorizations to install some virtual adapters. After doing it, import the "Root_Bionic_JB.ova" using CTRL + I as the screens below (mine is in portuguese-BR, but you'll understand):

root1.png

root2.PNG

root3.png

Then, press CTRL + S to enable the Virtual Box to detect your phone using the USB Port:

root5.png

Now, you're ready to begin. Press Start:

root4.png

rootrazrmaxx.png

Be sure that your phone is connected as Media Device (MTP) and the debugging mode is enabled. Then, follow the path as the screens below and insert the IP configuration which appears at the Virtual Box screen:

59591126.png

17161006.png

34432921.png

Now, see if you phone will show the following screen:

screenshot2013043009165.png

If positive, press enter at the Virtual Box screen and see if it will change, saying that your device is detected. Then, connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable and verify if the Virtual Box will detect it:

rootrazrmaxx5.png

rootrazrmaxx2.png

If positive, you will need to press enter and follow the process at the screen, as above. Once your phone vibrates, press enter and wait till the next step. Press enter again to reboot.

Congratulations. Now you have a Razr (Maxx) with Jelly Bean rooted.
    Yes I had the same issue happen to me, I forgot to mention it. Thanks for clarifying and posting screens. Glad it worked for you!

No problem.

But I forgot to mention another detail about the USB detection. You need to enable the Razr in the Virtual Box config before. Press CTRL + S and do as the screen:

root5.png

Then the Virtual Box will detect your phone and continue the root process.
    Well, I'm trying to apply the root on my Razr Maxx, but idk I did something wrong. The process seems to be frozen after the usb connection verification.

Edit: I found the problem. The Virtual Box isn't recognizing the Razr at the USB port. Apparently, the system is conflicting with another request in the same device.

Edit2: OMG!!! Rooted the phone in 30 seconds!

rootrazrmaxx.png

After all the process:

rootrazrmaxx2.png
    Hey thx for the screens
    But i really dont know about the smb process, i need put some ips in the phone or where?

Enviado desde mi XT910 usando Tapatalk 2

I'm taking some screens of my phone trying to show you how to connect with the Virtual Box.

It's simple. You will fill the login fields with the info provided by the Virtual Box.