[Root & XZDR][LB/UB][STOCK][C68XX][4.4.2] Update to 14.3.A.0.681

Search This thread

fnf

Sep 18, 2007
These are flashable zip file and FTF pairs for the latest KitKat firmware 14.3.A.0.681 for C6833/C6806/C6802 based on [NUT]'s modifications. I couldn't wait for his firmware so decided to make it :) .

The upgrade instructions are exactly the same as in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631768 . You only need to use the flashable zip and FTF files in this thread instead. In a nutshell:
  • Install recovery (either via a root exploit or unlocking the bootloader). Note: unlocking the bootloader will typically result in data loss, you are advised to use the root exploit on the older firmware instead of touching the bootloader.
  • Enter recovery and flash Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_flashable.zip
  • Power off the device and enter flash mode
  • Flash Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_Stripped.ftf using FlashTool (0.9.15.0 or later, older versions won't work)

These instructions are relatively safe and you can always downgrade using the other flashable zip/FTF if you so wish.

Lots of credits go to NUT & co. for making the original flashable zip!.

Notes:
- Some people run into a bug that makes camera non-functional. If you have this bug you can try flashing zip/stripped FTF from another region (e.g., US) instead.
- If you have issues remounting /system in TWRP you can try @[NUT]'s patch for the recovery here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51378028&postcount=88 . It can be flashed after you flash the flashable zip with adb sideload recoverypatch.zip inside the package on Linux or running install.bat on Windows.

Download links:
Flashable zip for C6833:
-- Mega -- Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_flashable.zip
-- GDrive -- Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_flashable.zip
Flashable zip for C6806:
-- Mega -- C6806_14.3.A.0.681 US_Unbranded_flashable.zip
-- GDrive -- C6806_14.3.A.0.681 US_Unbranded_flashable.zip
Flashable zip for C6802:
-- Mega -- C6802_14.3.A.0.681_Generic HK_flashable.zip
-- GDrive -- C6802_14.3.A.0.681_Generic HK_flashable.zip

FTF for C6833:
-- Mega -- Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_Stripped.ftf
-- GDrive -- Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_Stripped.ftf
FTF for C6833: C6833_4.4.2_HK_Stripped.ftf
FTF for C6833: C6833_14.3.A.0.681 _Euro-LTE_Stripped.ftf
FTF for C6833: C6833_1275-9413_R3C 14.3.A.0.681_Singapore Generic_Stripped.ftf
FTF for C6806:
-- Mega -- C6806_14.3.A.0.681 US_Unbranded_Stripped.ftf
-- GDrive -- C6806_14.3.A.0.681 US_Unbranded_Stripped.ftf
FTF for C6802:
-- Mega -- C6802_14.3.A.0.681_Generic HK_Stripped.ftf
-- GDrive -- C6802_14.3.A.0.681_Generic HK_Stripped.ftf

Last edited:

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
This is a flashable zip file and FTF pair for the latest KitKat firmware 14.3.A.0.681 for C6833 based on [NUT]'s modifications. I couldn't wait for his firmware so decided to make it :) .

The upgrade instructions are exactly the same as in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631768 . You only need to use the flashable zip and FTF files in this thread instead. In a nutshell:
  • Install recovery (either via a root exploit or unlocking the bootloader). Note: unlocking the bootloader will typically result in data loss, you are advised to use the root exploit on the older firmware instead of touching the bootloader.
  • Enter recovery and flash Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_flashable.zip
  • Flash Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_Stripped.ftf using FlashTool

These instructions are relatively safe and you can always downgrade using the other flashable zip/FTF if you so wish.

Download links:
https://mega.co.nz/#!3xB2TZBI!nMI4MnmGLvU-4e0RmOlpI8XMTnrAEDaPaJoSDo7-MxI
https://mega.co.nz/#!fsJzlI5I!X5rcqH019UCwIxiZvSmFzb4E_1s4J7WIYYxYkAk5o3o

Thanks for the work; have you installed via this method yourself?

I ask as there are a couple of other requirements for this to work in Nuts Z1 thread on the same subject here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2687443

Whereas you link to the 4.3 update without the init.d requirements?

Thanks

fnf

Sep 18, 2007
Yes, I'm running KitKat with the firmware that I posted.

I didn't need to enable init.d support and can confirm that dr.initd.active is set to false in my XZDR config. SuperSU works as well as the rest of the firmware.

Not to devalue the work that people have done (on the contrary it is much appreciated!), but there are a lot of conflicting information on how to root the device. I feel the rooting guides are much longer than necessary. Here is why (and how) we can root and keep the bootloader locked:
  • We root a firmware (e.g., 14.1.G.1.534) and install recovery
  • With recovery we can install the system tarball of any other firmware versions (e.g., KitKat). The flashable zip also installs SuperSU (among other) in the process.
  • We will then flash everything from the new KitKat firmware but system image. Stripping at least the system image out of the FTF ensures that it will not be reflashed by mistake.

Regarding init.d support, it is no longer needed on 4.3 onwards as daemonsu will be started by install-recovery.sh .

Thanks for the work; have you installed via this method yourself?

I ask as there are a couple of other requirements for this to work in Nuts Z1 thread on the same subject here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2687443

Whereas you link to the 4.3 update without the init.d requirements?

Thanks

Reactions: paulotex

android_myan

Jun 24, 2012
Singapore
Stripped FTF is not working

This is a flashable zip file and FTF pair for the latest KitKat firmware 14.3.A.0.681 for C6833 based on [NUT]'s modifications. I couldn't wait for his firmware so decided to make it :) .

• Flash Sony Xperia Z Ultra Europe LTE_14.3.A.0.681_Stripped.ftf using FlashTool

Download links:
https://mega.co.nz/#!3xB2TZBI!nMI4MnmGLvU-4e0RmOlpI8XMTnrAEDaPaJoSDo7-MxI
https://mega.co.nz/#!fsJzlI5I!X5rcqH019UCwIxiZvSmFzb4E_1s4J7WIYYxYkAk5o3o

Your stripped ftf is not working. Please check and upload. Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 750

fnf

Sep 18, 2007

Weird, I'll check when I come back in an hour or so. If you want to make it work in the mean time, you just need to flash the Germany KK FTF instead of this FTF in the General forums and exclude system, userdata from the flash and especially uncheck all items in Wipe section. If you're unfamiliar with Flashtool it's better to wait.

Reactions: android_myan

fnf

Sep 18, 2007
Will this work with c6802 as well as c6806?
Unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I can produce the zip and FTF for these devices but I won't be able to test it. That said, if you have an unlocked bootloader wouldn't it be easier to just flash the dual recovery kernel and then supersu to gain root?. Being able to flash custom kernel is an advantage that us with locked bootloader can't enjoy :).

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
Yes, I'm running KitKat with the firmware that I posted.

I didn't need to enable init.d support and can confirm that dr.initd.active is set to false in my XZDR config. SuperSU works as well as the rest of the firmware.

Not to devalue the work that people have done (on the contrary it is much appreciated!), but there are a lot of conflicting information on how to root the device. I feel the rooting guides are much longer than necessary. Here is why (and how) we can root and keep the bootloader locked:
  • We root a firmware (e.g., 14.1.G.1.534) and install recovery
  • With recovery we can install the system tarball of any other firmware versions (e.g., KitKat). The flashable zip also installs SuperSU (among other) in the process.
  • We will then flash everything from the new KitKat firmware but system image. Stripping at least the system image out of the FTF ensures that it will not be reflashed by mistake.

Regarding init.d support, it is no longer needed on 4.3 onwards as daemonsu will be started by install-recovery.sh .

OK thanks for the explanation.

Did you make any progress on tracking the error with the stripped down ftf at all?

fnf

Sep 18, 2007

scoobydu said:
thanks for the explanation.

Did you make any progress on tracking the error with the stripped down ftf at all?

I have redownloaded the FTF and compared the checksum, it doesn't appear corrupted to me so I think the problem is you're using FlashTool 0.9.13. Newer Sony firmwares work with 0.9.15.0.

fnf

Sep 18, 2007
Installed, but camera won't work. Only preview. Other camera apps works ok, only Sony camera won't make shoots. I try to flash full ftf to see if works.

If you flash the full FTF you will lose root unless you exclude 'system'. I'd suggest clearing the Camera app's data. Camera works fine for me. I just upgraded from 4.3 so mine has not been factory reset.

Edit: Are you storing the photos to the SD card by any chance?. I have applied the fix for SD card permissions so not sure if it is an issue or not.

Last edited:

abuihsan

Jul 16, 2012
Banten
my device is C6802, I was on rooted .681 with unlocked BL. I want rooted but with locked BL so I did these:

with TWRP I wipe dalvik and cache and then flashed 6833 flashable zip
power of and then flash stripped ftf via flashtool 0.9.15.0
reboot - restore TA - reboot
done.

now I got root with locked BL

thanks!

dadme

Aug 9, 2007
Xiaomi Mi 11
ASUS ZenFone 8
If you flash the full FTF you will lose root unless you exclude 'system'. I'd suggest clearing the Camera app's data. Camera works fine for me. I just upgraded from 4.3 so mine has not been factory reset.

Edit: Are you storing the photos to the SD card by any chance?. I have applied the fix for SD card permissions so not sure if it is an issue or not.
Tryed everything, only front camera works, with back camera i can't make shoots with sony camera, and autofocus is not working in other camera apps. I upgraded from 4.3. with or without factory reset problem is here.

fnf

Sep 18, 2007
Tryed everything, only front camera works, with back camera i can't make shoots with sony camera, and autofocus is not working in other camera apps. I upgraded from 4.3. with or without factory reset problem is here.

Can anyone else please confirm?. There are nothing specifics to my device in the FTF or the zip so I suspect flashing the full FTF won't fix it.

The binaries were generated from the Germany KK firmware if that helps.
@abuihsan: thanks for letting me know, the only difference between Z Ultra variants that I've seen is radio so the worst we'll get is losing LTE.

If anyone wants me to create the files for other variants then let me know.

abuihsan

Jul 16, 2012
Banten
Can anyone else please confirm?. There are nothing specifics to my device in the FTF or the zip so I suspect flashing the full FTF won't fix it.

The binaries were generated from the Germany KK firmware if that helps.

@abuihsan: thanks for letting me know, the only difference between Z Ultra variants that I've seen is radio so the worst we'll get is losing LTE.

If anyone wants me to create the files for other variants then let me know.

Sony camera works fine for me.. Also autofocusing on 3rd party camera apps works.. I tested it with vsco and vignette camera.

The only problem I found is sd card writable problem (fixed with an apps from play store). The remaining problem is volume button. If I open an app, example a game then adjusting volume button makes those apps FC.
In setting, adjusting volume also makes setting FC. It happened on both Germany and HK .681.
Hope it can be fixed soon.

fnf

Sep 18, 2007
Sony camera works fine for me.. Also autofocusing on 3rd party camera apps works.. I tested it with vsco and vignette camera.

The only problem I found is sd card writable problem (fixed with an apps from play store). The remaining problem is volume button. If I open an app, example a game then adjusting volume button makes those apps FC.
In setting, adjusting volume also makes setting FC. It happened on both Germany and HK .681.
Hope it can be fixed soon.

Adjusting volume in all apps work fine for me, guess it's just one of those weird Android bugs. If you can get the logcat (pressing volume up/down then FC) then I might have a look.

I've got ClearAudio+, Dynamic normalizer enabled if that helps.

abuihsan

Jul 16, 2012
Banten
Adjusting volume in all apps work fine for me, guess it's just one of those weird Android bugs. If you can get the logcat (pressing volume up/down then FC) then I might have a look.

I've got ClearAudio+, Dynamic normalizer enabled if that helps.

hi.. ClearAudio+, Dynamic normalizer enabled and problem still persist..

hi.. here is the CATLOG .. I use FM radio, 2 games, also attempting adjusting volume in setting.. hope they are recorder fine.. thanks!

Top Liked Posts