Root your Note FE

Search This thread

zamzenos

Aug 2, 2014
IMPORTANT - READ THIS FIRST:

The Note FE comes with dm-verity check and forced encryption enabled. You will need to remove this extra layer of security for root access. To disable dm-verity and forced encryption you must install TWRP recovery first on your Note FE. Note that disabling forced encryption and dm-verity requires a factory reset from TWRP recovery, so you should backup your data (internal storage) before you begin.
The next stage then will be to root the device by flashing the SuperSU zip via TWRP recovery. SU will also ensure that dm-verity and forced encryption remains disabled. Bear in mind, however, that a factory reset will restore them again.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

Download Odin and drivers here: https://build.nethunter.com/samsung-tools/

Download TWRP for Note 7 Exynos: there are two versions: Korean and International:
Korean version: https://dl.twrp.me/graceltekor/
International: https://dl.twrp.me/gracelte/

Download the latest version of SuperSu here: https://download.chainfire.eu/1021/SuperSU/SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip?retrieve_file=1

You should also download the stock firmware appropriate to your version of Note FE, just in case. Variants S & L can be found on Sammobile, and variant K is available here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634784008

ROOTING YOUR NOTE FE:

Read these instructions through carefully before you begin.

(1) Install TWRP Recovery on your Note FE via Odin.
(2) Boot your Note FE into TWRP recovery as follows:
(a) First switch off your device.
(b) Now Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume Up” buttons for a few seconds and as soon as you see your device’s logo on-screen, release the three buttons altogether. Your device will boot into TWRP recovery.
(3) Upon booting into TWRP recovery for the first time, you’ll get a prompt to allow system modifications. You should swipe right to allow this.
(4) On the TWRP main menu, select WIPE then select “Format Data”. You will need to type yes in order to proceed. This will clean wipe the entire internal storage on your Note FE (make sure you have backed-up your important files safe to restore later).
(5) Still in TWRP recovery, you should now connect your Note FE to the PC. (TWRP supports MTP connection so you’ll be able transfer files to the device.) Wait until your Note FE appears on your PC desktop (may take a while first time). You can now transfer the SuperSU zip to your Note FE.
(6) Go back to the TWRP main menu and select “Install” this time. Now you can flash the SuperSU zip.
(7) Reboot your Note FE.

You should now be rooted. Test using an appropriate app.

It would be helpful to others if you reported your experience and the outcome here.

Good luck.

Last edited:

malaccio

Nov 27, 2011
Italy
thank you very much!
to restore original firmware even if knox counter 01 I need to flash the stock firmware using Odin?

Last edited:

iraqgsm

Jul 8, 2010
having a problem booting into twrp after the flash, it stuck on the Samsung logo, Home + Power + Volume Up don't get me anywhere.

any idea will it be the TWRP version, my phone is K version, BTW i can flash stock version back with no problem

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
having a problem booting into twrp after the flash, it stuck on the Samsung logo, Home + Power + Volume Up don't get me anywhere.

any idea will it be the TWRP version, my phone is K version, BTW i can flash stock version back with no problem

Are you letting it boot into system then trying to boot into twrp or trying to boot direct to twrp after it flashes?

sent from my Note FE, S8 plus, S7 edge or S6

iraqgsm

Jul 8, 2010
I did both and still freeze on the logo screen if I attempt to access recovery. I did it like 40 times still doing the same and flashed the stock and redid again and still the same.

OEM unlock on, and USB debugging on and Odin flash showing successful, not sure what am missing, I did it before in other note 7.

Last edited:

malaccio

Nov 27, 2011
Italy
I did both and still freeze on the logo screen if I attempt to access recovery. I did it like 40 times still doing the same and flashed the stock and redid again and still the same.

OEM unlock on, and USB debugging on and Odin flash showing successful, not sure what am missing, I did it before in other note 7.

Still in bootloop?

zamzenos

Aug 2, 2014

Two possibilities why it's not working for you:

Try flashing TWRP with USB debugging off.

Are you placing the TWRP file in the right slot (AP) in Odin?

The last one is obvious, but it's strange that TWRP doesn't open for you.

zamzenos

Aug 2, 2014
wow N7FE cant use old N7 twrp??

Well, it works. But there may be minor problems. If we get enough reports we should be able to isolate these and see what can be done to correct them.

These are early days with FE so there will be little personal data on them yet. So this is a good time for some experimentation, especially as flashing stock is known to be successful.

iraqgsm

Jul 8, 2010
Two possibilities why it's not working for you:

Try flashing TWRP with USB debugging off.

Are you placing the TWRP file in the right slot (AP) in Odin?

The last one is obvious, but it's strange that TWRP doesn't open for you.

I will try with USB debugging and I did place it in the AP slot

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

still no go with usb bugging off,

a question that is the only twrp version that is working for you now right

zamzenos

Aug 2, 2014
I will try with USB debugging and I did place it in the AP slot

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

still no go with usb bugging off,

a question that is the only twrp version that is working for you now right

I used "twrp-3.1.1-0-gracelte.img.tar".

Are you formatting data? If you are, try flashing without allowing modifications and without formatting data. You won't be able to make use of TWRP in that mode, but try it and see what happens.

One last try: If the above fails, try entering stock recovery after you flash the stock firmware.

Finally, I have the K variant. It might be that the problem occurs because you have a different variant.

You could get the TWRP app (check the TWRP site). There is a specific version for korean telecoms (graceltekor). I've dloaded it and will give it a try tomorrow. But you should test the above suggestions first.

Last edited:

zamzenos

Aug 2, 2014

this version of twrp is newer than the one you have on the first post, it worked perfectly thank you
Which version did you use? I've just flashed the korean version myself. No problems. I'm amending the OP to give people a choice.

Glad it worked for you. Hope this will encourage others to take the plunge.

Last edited:
Reactions: force70

iraqgsm

Jul 8, 2010

Are you formatting data? If you are, try flashing without allowing modifications and without formatting data. You won't be able to make use of TWRP in that mode, but try it and see what happens.

One last try: If the above fails, try entering stock recovery after you flash the stock firmware.

Finally, I have the K variant. It might be that the problem occurs because you have a different variant.

You could get the TWRP app (check the TWRP site). There is a specific version for korean telecoms (graceltekor). I've dloaded it and will give it a try tomorrow. But you should test the above suggestions first.

Which version did you use? I've just flashed the korean version myself. No problems. I'm amending the OP to give people a choice.

Glad it worked for you. Hope this will encourage others to take the plunge.

the twrp-3.1.1-0-gracelte.img.tar worked.
twrp-3.0.2-1-graceltexx.tar.md5 didnt work

honestly, it was easy thank you

zamzenos

Aug 2, 2014
the twrp-3.1.1-0-gracelte.img.tar worked.
twrp-3.0.2-1-graceltexx.tar.md5 didnt work

honestly, it was easy thank you

There's a 3.1.1-0 version of the korean version (graceltekor) too. Use the new link I added to the OP. I've tried both today, now that I have a better idea of what is involved. Both work fine, seems to be no difference between them - I mean, for our purposes.

But it's really good to have full root. Honestly never expected it to be this good.

Reactions: KOLIOSIS

zamzenos

Aug 2, 2014
Link is dead.
I have SM-N935K and need the stock firmware please.
Any help (working link) is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Only link I had: http://fixedfirmware.blogspot.ie/2017/07/samsung-galaxy-note-7-fe-sm-n935skl.html.
Try this link (haven't tried this myself): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634784008

Google for it otherwise. But you may be able to use one of the other variants. There was a discussion here. Not sure of the outcome, though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note Fan Edition - Root Method

Alright, I've managed to get a bit farther but I'm quite actually mad at myself I will explain why :

First, this RMM State: Prenormal thing is what is preventing us from flashing our phones. That's confirmed.
    I've waited 7 days (Never reboot! You have to keep your phone running for 168 hours) and it has indeed dissapered... I've been able to flash TWRP no prob.

BUT, there's always something that's gonna ruin everything....
    When I saw that this line was gone, I flashed TWRP but did some stupid moves during disabling dm-verity and ended up flashing stock because I couldn't boot..

Aaaaaand we go again... RMM State is back and I can't flash this stupid stuff...
    Grr.. I hate Samsung soo much for this...

N-B: This **** isn't related to the bootloader as I've never re-flashed it. It's more likely linked to the boot.img.
    IMPORTANT - READ THIS FIRST:

The Note FE comes with dm-verity check and forced encryption enabled. You will need to remove this extra layer of security for root access. To disable dm-verity and forced encryption you must install TWRP recovery first on your Note FE. Note that disabling forced encryption and dm-verity requires a factory reset from TWRP recovery, so you should backup your data (internal storage) before you begin.
    The next stage then will be to root the device by flashing the SuperSU zip via TWRP recovery. SU will also ensure that dm-verity and forced encryption remains disabled. Bear in mind, however, that a factory reset will restore them again.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

Download Odin and drivers here: https://build.nethunter.com/samsung-tools/

Download TWRP for Note 7 Exynos: there are two versions: Korean and International:
    Korean version: https://dl.twrp.me/graceltekor/
    International: https://dl.twrp.me/gracelte/

Download the latest version of SuperSu here: https://download.chainfire.eu/1021/SuperSU/SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip?retrieve_file=1

You should also download the stock firmware appropriate to your version of Note FE, just in case. Variants S & L can be found on Sammobile, and variant K is available here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634784008

ROOTING YOUR NOTE FE:

Read these instructions through carefully before you begin.

(1) Install TWRP Recovery on your Note FE via Odin.
    (2) Boot your Note FE into TWRP recovery as follows:
    (a) First switch off your device.
    (b) Now Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume Up” buttons for a few seconds and as soon as you see your device’s logo on-screen, release the three buttons altogether. Your device will boot into TWRP recovery.
    (3) Upon booting into TWRP recovery for the first time, you’ll get a prompt to allow system modifications. You should swipe right to allow this.
    (4) On the TWRP main menu, select WIPE then select “Format Data”. You will need to type yes in order to proceed. This will clean wipe the entire internal storage on your Note FE (make sure you have backed-up your important files safe to restore later).
    (5) Still in TWRP recovery, you should now connect your Note FE to the PC. (TWRP supports MTP connection so you’ll be able transfer files to the device.) Wait until your Note FE appears on your PC desktop (may take a while first time). You can now transfer the SuperSU zip to your Note FE.
    (6) Go back to the TWRP main menu and select “Install” this time. Now you can flash the SuperSU zip.
    (7) Reboot your Note FE.

You should now be rooted. Test using an appropriate app.

It would be helpful to others if you reported your experience and the outcome here.

Good luck.
    Root Method for Note FE (SM-N935F/DS) - SUCCESS !

Good news!

After some tries and error, I've finally managed to flash TWRP and root my Note FE successfully ! (SM-N935F/DS Version)
    I'm posting the entire procedure if you want to do it too :

=> https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/help-twrp-note-fe-n935f-t3702399/page4#post75130302
    wow N7FE cant use old N7 twrp??

Well, it works. But there may be minor problems. If we get enough reports we should be able to isolate these and see what can be done to correct them.

These are early days with FE so there will be little personal data on them yet. So this is a good time for some experimentation, especially as flashing stock is known to be successful.
    Magisk Failed.

Well guys,

I've tried rooting by patching boot.img via Magisk and.. it failed.
    Caused the bootloader to show in red "Custom Binary has been blocked due to remaining installation balance"

I've actually tried it directly out of the box. I had the phone running like 10mins and done the first setup procedure without SIM card inserted.
    And that I think is part of the problem here. I think this message means that the phone waits for something to be done (or elasped ?) before allowing you to flash a custom binary.. :confused:
    Kinda weird.. it's like the "7 days OEM Unlock toggle" bu****it of the Note 8... Thankfully, the fail hasn't triggered my Samsung Knox-****, I'm still 0x0 so it's fine.