Root your Vibrant

Search This thread

chaosthebomb

Jan 13, 2010
you need to flash clockwork recovery image. I used the supercurios stock + voodoo kernel which gave me clockwork

bblackmoor

Aug 21, 2010
I am also rooted off of official 2.2 via kies. I have a question have you flashed a rom i have rooot permissions, etc. but keeps booting into e3 recovery and when i try to flash it just loops back to e3 recovery. any help is greatly appreciated

I had this problem as well, and it gave me quite a scare for a while. I eventually had to reinstall the JFD rom using Odin (including repartitioning), and then re-install the update using Kies, and then leaving it un-rooted.

And I guess it will stay un-rooted until someone cleverer than myself figures out how to free this new rom.

Andreal

Nov 15, 2007
I am also rooted off of official 2.2 via kies. I have a question have you flashed a rom i have rooot permissions, etc. but keeps booting into e3 recovery and when i try to flash it just loops back to e3 recovery. any help is greatly appreciated

You could use this (helped me a lot):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=954509
to go back to stock (in that way you will have e2 recovery), then upload rom manager from market (or just use clockwork manually ) and you can flash anything you want.
Easy.

thanasisc4

Feb 19, 2011
Oh man thanks so much for this. I recently got my hands on a vibrant that was sitting around in my friend's closet. He since got a new phone and just left it sitting there in the closet.

My current device (G2X) is way better than the vibrant but I was excited regardless because I wanted to play around with something that has a samoled screen and voodoo sound.

To my dismay however the usb port is effed up and I can't connect to usb debugging in order to root, until I found this!! Luckily for me my friend never updated and was still running eclair. :D

Thanks again!

schuylkillparanormal

Mar 10, 2013
I couldn't get anything to work running 2.2 stock (I finally got a hold of "T959UVKB5-REV05-home-low-CL909126.tar.md5").

The OS reports /system is 100% full, and all writes (including "Superuser.apk") fail due to "insufficient space" errors.

2.1 stock leaves a lot of room in /system.

I just used super on click then flashed custom recover took me 3 minutes.

I tried to flash this in CWM and it didn't work?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

You could use this (helped me a lot):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=954509
to go back to stock (in that way you will have e2 recovery), then upload rom manager from market (or just use clockwork manually ) and you can flash anything you want.
Easy.

When I flashed back to stock, ROM Manager would not show up in the market?

cameljockey1

Aug 4, 2011
Arlington

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

You can use aptoid just google it and install it like that. And this root worked when you rename it dont put the .zip it is already a zip file.

Reactions: Neo3D

jjmai

Sep 10, 2008
Is there any way to root without using USB to copy update.zip?
My Vibrant's USB port is broken, and I cannot get write access to the root of internal storage. ES File Explorer fails to copy to root, and doesn't allow Root Explorer option.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***This will work on the T-Mobile US branded Vibrant and generic Galaxy S models***

***IMPORTANT: YOU PERFORM THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY, I NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.***

***UPDATE: Now you can do this without ADB installed!

The following method should be relatively care-free but there is always a risk with activities like rooting a device or flashing a new firmware.

1. Download the attached zip and rename to: update.zip
    2. On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > USB settings and select Mass storage
    3. Plug your device into your computer, select mount USB from your device's pull-down window
    4. Copy the update.zip to the INTERNAL SD memory (~14gb on this drive, not the one w/ Avatar if you've still got the 2gb SD card in)
    5. Turn your phone off.
    6. Hold down volume up and volume down while powering on the phone, this should get you to a recovery menu, you may have to try this a few times.
    7. In Recovery menu select 'Reinstall Packages' (use vol_down then power to select)

Phone will reboot
    and you have
    1. su+Superuser
    2. busybox (/system/xbin/busybox)

Original credit goes to LeshaK at Samdroid, I modified the script within update.zip to work on the Vibrant.

Other credits to the fine folks in this thread that noted the vol up+down recovery menu.

I would link to the Samdroid forum but I can't...but check Samdroid > i9000 Development forum for the original post.
    I installed the Kies Mini update, and I am no longer rooted or ClockWork Recovery. I tried to install the update but I got the following error:

E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

Its running Android Recover System 3e.

How do we get passed the signature issue?

EDITTTT:::::
    SuperOneClick v1.5.5 just worked great!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

I also made a tutorial for root and recovery:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925400

You can use aptoid just google it and install it like that. And this root worked when you rename it dont put the .zip it is already a zip file.