ROOT ZENFONE 5 KITKAT UPDATED(bootloader unlock,recovery)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

haivp3010

Apr 14, 2013
stuck at logo

my phone stuck at usb logo, I have tried to sideload but even when I enter sideload in recovery, when I adb devices on my laptop it's still recovery rather than sideload :( omg how can I save my phone now :(((

RajGopi

Apr 4, 2014
Warangal,Telangana
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
my phone stuck at usb logo, I have tried to sideload but even when I enter sideload in recovery, when I adb devices on my laptop it's still recovery rather than sideload :( omg how can I save my phone now :(((

Bro i answered to this same question many times
Please read first post completely
Solution for your problem is included

dont worry bro click on this link or read my first post completely n clearly(i have written solution for this USB logo issue)
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56586634&postcount=174
solution for your problem
after that follow steps correctly and your bootloader will be unlocked
remember to factory reset after n before flashing something new always
http://xdaforums.com/android/help/root-zenfone-5bootloader-unlock-recovery-t2896589/page18
this page will clear all your issues
dont worry its not a big problem to be worried

Reactions: haivp3010

subhajyoti

Nov 14, 2014
Cannot do latest update 2.20.40.13

I cannot update to the latest update 2.20.40.13
I have 2.19.40.18
I have already rooted have philz recovery as your thread.
I don't have lucky patcher and xposed framework.
Error showing "Please update to newest4.3 image first".

(tried sideload too )

:crying:

Last edited:

RajGopi

Apr 4, 2014
Warangal,Telangana
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I cannot update to the latest update 2.20.40.13
I have 2.19.40.18
I have already rooted have philz recovery as your thread.
I don't have lucky patcher and xposed framework.
Error showing "Please update to newest4.3 image first".

(tried sideload too )

:crying:

same question you PMed me right?
i replied with answer have a look at your inbox

or here is the answer
try flash the recovery of present package you are on
in your case flash recovery of V2.19.40.18(extract recovery.img file from update package UL_ASUS_T00J/F-WW_user.zip)
after flashing recovery sideload the V2.20.40.13
this might help

chauhan.shahbaz

Nov 15, 2014
how to unroot if done rooting via your method . my zenfone is charging very slowly after rooting and battery drains very fast.

RajGopi

Apr 4, 2014
Warangal,Telangana
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
how to unroot if done rooting via your method . my zenfone is charging very slowly after rooting and battery drains very fast.

Before unrooting i suggest some tips to save battery
Let the battery drain completely until 0% battery....now charge your battery till 100% without interruption with original charger n download a battery calibration app from play store n calibrate when it is 100%
Use greenify app to save battery juice
Always use original charger

Still if you want to unroot goto SuperSU app
Swipe twice to left n scroll down
You will find option to unroot

Reactions: chauhan.shahbaz

GODhelpme15

Mar 27, 2014
Help??

hey man!! i'm having problems in flashing the recovery. it says "error: cannot open '1.18.40.9_ww_recovery.img'" i m in fastboot and downloaded the recovery image you provided. then typed this "fastboot flash recovery 1.18.40.9_ww_recovery.img"

anything i've done wrong??? note: "" not included in what i typed

thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

RajGopi

Apr 4, 2014
Warangal,Telangana
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
hey man!! i'm having problems in flashing the recovery. it says "error: cannot open '1.18.40.9_ww_recovery.img'" i m in fastboot and downloaded the recovery image you provided. then typed this "fastboot flash recovery 1.18.40.9_ww_recovery.img"

anything i've done wrong??? note: "" not included in what i typed

thanks in advance :)

Place the recovery file in both ADB n users folder (C:\users\yourname:\...)
Now run the same command you used earlier

vita13

May 3, 2014
marseille
question sur le devérouillage

Bonjour,

je souhaite savoir si la méthode indiqué de déverrouillage , via le fastboot adb marcherai pour une memo pad M176cx , je pose la question étant débutant , je vois ceci et 'image je crois de la m176cx et ww sku es que c'est possible

?, désolé pour mon anglais je suis francophone et vraiment débutant merci a vous

que cette méthode fonctionne pour WW SKU (je ne sais pas pour les autres images SKU mais vous pouvez toujours faire un essai si vous êtes sur un autre SKU

RajGopi

Apr 4, 2014
Warangal,Telangana
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Bonjour,

je souhaite savoir si la méthode indiqué de déverrouillage , via le fastboot adb marcherai pour une memo pad M176cx , je pose la question étant débutant , je vois ceci et 'image je crois de la m176cx et ww sku es que c'est possible

?, désolé pour mon anglais je suis francophone et vraiment débutant merci a vous

que cette méthode fonctionne pour WW SKU (je ne sais pas pour les autres images SKU mais vous pouvez toujours faire un essai si vous êtes sur un autre SKU

English dude, english
:banghead:

vita13

May 3, 2014
marseille
re - sorry

English dude, english
:banghead:

sorry my freind

i translate that

Hello, I would like to know if the method indicated unlock via fastboot adb will walk for a memo pad M176cx, I ask the question being beginner, I see this and ' image I think of the m176cx and ww sku es it possible?, sorry for my

English I'm francophone and really newbie thanks to you that this method works for WW SKU (I do not know for the other SKU images but you can always give it a try if you're on an another SKU : O

RajGopi

Apr 4, 2014
Warangal,Telangana
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
sorry my freind

i translate that

Hello, I would like to know if the method indicated unlock via fastboot adb will walk for a memo pad M176cx, I ask the question being beginner, I see this and ' image I think of the m176cx and ww sku es it possible?, sorry for my

English I'm francophone and really newbie thanks to you that this method works for WW SKU (I do not know for the other SKU images but you can always give it a try if you're on an another SKU : O

No need to be sorry
I can't guarantee it works because i don't own a memopad
If you have any update package downloaded from Asus website, open it n look out for the same files (dont use files i uploaded)
If you see such files give it a try

Try searching over XDA about how to root memopad

Or let me give you a link for an app which may root
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2979644&d=1413903730
Remember to forget all wifi networks n switch to FLIGHT or AEROPLANE mode before proceeding for rooting with the app i provided link

vita13

May 3, 2014
marseille
re

No need to be sorry
I can't guarantee it works because i don't own a memopad
If you have any update package downloaded from Asus website, open it n look out for the same files (dont use files i uploaded)
If you see such files give it a try

Try searching over XDA about how to root memopad

Or let me give you a link for an app which may root
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2979644&d=1413903730
Remember to forget all wifi networks n switch to FLIGHT or AEROPLANE mode before proceeding for rooting with the app i provided link

Thanks, I forget to precise that I had dejas roote my memo, I'm looking just for a unlocked bootloader for flsh, and installing a cmw or philz touch futor, I cherhe on any forum, and asus does presise nothing, root ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Support to issues will no longer be considered as i don't own the device now
    thread will be closed as soon as moderators respond to my request of removal of this thread

WARNING: this method of rooting voids your phone's warranty
    because you can flash system as usual and as it used to be, so don't worry
    root with your own risk

this method works for WW SKU(i don't know about other SKU images but you can always give a try if you are on other SKU)

here am posting two methods of rooting

whatever the method it is , all we need is our zenfone 5 to be rooted. right??
    one is root process by shakalaca and you can find his post here(use google translate in his page)(you can find the english translated here in the end of this post)
    the second process is here as i posted below

make sure you have adb n fastboot drivers, intel mobile usb drivers, asus usb drivers
    usb debugging must be turned on(settings-->developer options)
    to get developer options goto settings-->about-->build number(tap on it 7times) now go back n u will find developers options

first of all download the bootloader.zip attached below
    download SuperSU flashable zip attached below and place this UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip file into your internal storage(lets flash it later why so hurry?)
    extract the bootloader.zip and place the extracted files in your adb or fastboot folder(or simply place them in c:\users\xxx )
    turn on the usb debugging option(settings-->developer options-->usb debugging)
    connect your zenfone 5 to your windows pc
    open command prompt on your computer and run these following commands
    adb devices(you will see your device serial number)
    adb reboot-bootloader(now your device will boot(startup) in droidboot menu
    fastboot flash dnx dnx_fwr_ctp_a500cg.bin
    fastboot flash ifwi ifwi_ctp_a500cg_unlock.bin
    now your bootloader is unlocked so that we can flash custom recovery

best part: it is unofficial bootloader unlocking and when you update the next firmware via OTA the bootloader relocks by itself(yep you will receive OTA updates even after this)

my bootloader relocked after OTA update ofV2.19.40.18 n it relocked my bootloader
    now i hope u unlocked your bootloader
    download this recovery recovery_philz_t00f.tar(attached below)
    extract it and you wil find the recovery_philz_t00f.img file
    place that recovery in your fastboot folder and run these following commands
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot devices (just to make sure your device is connected)
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_philz_t00f.img
    give it time to write the recovery( takes 3-4 seconds)
    now that you have philz recovery
    now run this command
    now your Zenfone reboots to bootloader menu and select recovery option by scrolling down(use volume-) and select( use power button)
    u can disconnect your device now and u are in recovery
    the recovery is a little bit laggy but works fine
    select the option install zip from sd card
    select the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip file that u placed in your internal storage earlier
    now you have options to say yes or no.. select yes and let the recovery flash SuperSU
    I hope u have flashed successfully
    now opt for reboot system now
    guess what your ZenFone is rooted Buddy
    check it using any root checker app or install any root related app or you can check that SuperSU is working without any error

screenshots????
    well attached below for proof

Want to relock the bootloader??
    i suggest you not to relock the bootloader coz the OTA update relocks the bootloader automatically
    still want to relock bootloader?
    read below posts before relocking the bootloader because some members faced problems

here you go
    refer to this link
    http://www.asuszenfoneblog.com/2014/09/how-to-relock-bootloader-on-asus-zenfone.html

Stuck at USB logo????
    WELCOME BACK
    here is the solution:
    flash this modified stock recovery https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvauuk0tzid1o3i/1.18.40.9_ww_recovery.img?dl=0 in droidboot menu
    fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img (filename can be anything or the name of recovery you downloaded from above)
    download the last JB update package V1.18.40.10
    now goto recovery n wipe data/cache
    then sideload the JB update package V1.18.40.10(how to sideload????? explained below)
    it will work for sure
    after updating wipe data n cache again
    now reboot system n go through initial setup n everything will be fine
    well you will be on JB now but if you want Kitkat then sideload the Kitkat update package
    and follow the root process from the beginning
    finally i suggest you not to relock the bootloader because when you sideload the update it will relock the bootloader)

OTA updates are available after rooting by this process
    yes OTA updates are still available(even if the bootloader is unlocked)
    image attached below to show ota update
    i got OTA update of 2.19.40.18_20141003_8008 release-keys and downloaded it n updated successfully without any issues
    if you can't find OTA update from your ZenFone 5 then download the update package from asus website
    whenever you get OTA update check for ASUS website and download the package from there
    here is the link to asus website for downloading future updates http://www.asus.com/in/Tablets_Mobile/ZenFone_5_A500CG/HelpDesk_Download/
    there just click on select OS and select android and then you will find the update packages
    after downloading the package extract it and u will fing another zip of name like UL-ASUS_T00F-WW-2.19.XX.X-user.zip
    place that .zip file in your internal storage and the system detects it as update file and notifies you whether to update
    if it fails then sideload the update via ADB

applying OTA updates via adb

Just download the package from the ASUS website stated above(click on the link)
    place the package UL-ASUS_T00F-WW-2.19.XX.X-user.zip to your adb or fastboot folder
    now enter into droidboot menu(power off your phone and hold power button+volume up till you see droidboot menu) of your Zenfone 5 and connect it to your PC
    now scroll down(use volume keys) to recovery and select it(use power key) and your phone will boot to recovery
    now that you are in recovery(you can see a droid symbol lying down with red triangle over its stomach)
    press n keep holding volume down button, press volume up button(press vol+ button while still vol- button holding)
    now you will see recovery commands
    scroll to apply update from ADB
    now open the command prompt on your PC and type this following command
    adb sideload UL-ASUS_T00F-WW-2.19.XX.X-user.zip
    now wait for the process to complete till 100%
    now the system update starts and HURRAY you just updated the firmware successfully

(if you have installed xposed framework or Lucky Patcher then you have to follow these steps before updating 2.19.40.18_20141003_8008 release-keys)
    for those who have xposed installed on Zenfone 5 the latest update will fail
    but here is the solution for that
    open the .zip package of firmware you have present on your Zenfone 5
    for example the UL-ASUS_T00F-ww-V2.19.40.6-user.zip
    open it using winrar and navigate to system/framework
    find the files core.odex
    core.jar
    services.jar
    services.odex

drag them out on your desktop
    now copy them into your internal storage
    now use a file manager like ROOT EXPLORER and navigate to /system/framework
    delete the core.odex
    core.jar
    services.jar
    services.odex
    files because these are patched by xposed framework and wont let the system to update
    now after deleting the patched files
    move the files
    core.odex
    core.jar
    services.jar
    services.odex
    files you dragged from zip package and pasted in your internal storage to the folder/system/framework and change the permission to like this rw-r--r--
    image attached below
    Screenshot_2014-10-08-11-52-01%5B1%5D.jpg

for all the four file(now you restored all the system actual files)
    now update it using OTA or by ADB SIDELOAD it wont give you any error
    i did this and i updated sucessfully
    you will lose root access for the first boot but dont worry
    reboot your device again and you will get back the root access
    happy updating

root process by shakalaca

enable USB DEBUGGING in settings-->developer options
    now download this package root by shakalaca and open in your windows pc
    extract it and connect your Zenfone to pc in normal mode
    do not remove or unplug your zenfone during this process
    now double the root-zenfone-5-ww.bat(select tw if your SKU is TW or CHT if its CHT SKU)
    follow instructions
    now sit back and relax
    dont panic during this process your zenfone reboots many times(like 6 times i guess)
    and when it says finished just look out for SuperSU in your App Drawer
    and yes you are rooted

sorry for grammatical errors(if any)
    to relock the bootloader

Extract the recovery.img,fastboot.img and boot.img from the update package and flash them using fastboot commands
    it ensures that all system files are flashed back before relocking the bootloader
    if you done all above then refer to this link
    http://www.asuszenfoneblog.com/2014/09/how-to-relock-bootloader-on-asus-zenfone.html

or here it is
    drag out the ifwi.zip file from the update package like UL-ASUS_T00F-WW-2.19.40.10-user.zip
    from the ifwi.zip file drag dnx_fwr_ctp_a500cg.bin and drag out ifwi_ctp_a500cg.bin
    then open your command prompt and run the following commands
    fastboot flash dnx dnx_fwr_ctp_a500cg.bin
    fastboot flash ifwi ifwi_ctp_a500cg.bin

It relocks your bootloader

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    yeah here you go

After done this.. have u done relock bootloader?
    Do u think we still can get/do ota/sideload update whenever available later?

yeah, have you ever tried to relock your zenfone 5? using that app too? or another app?

read the first post
    yeah, have you ever tried to relock your zenfone 5? using that app too? or another app?

yep i tried relocking
    i even got ota update of V2.18.9.40.18
    screenshot attached below
    remove .zip extension and rename it to .jpg extension
    Enjoy

Nice! Finally updated rooting method for Zenfone 5 (KitKat). Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using XDA Free mobile app

hit thanks button if it helped you in rooting
    enjoy being rooted
    :good: :good: :good: