rooted boot image for moto360 KGW42N

dproldan

Dec 7, 2007
Malaga
This is a rooted boot image for the moto360. It was made by jcase using a dumped image from my device. It has worked fine to root my device, but nobody is responsible if it breaks your device or anything else. Use it at your own risk!

I'm not completely sure about how it works, but it seems to install the su binary to the system partition, and a few other things, so the root is permanent until you remove it somehow.
I booted this image while my watch was in the KGW42N release, rebooted normally and, after a few hours, I received the update to the latest release normally and maintained root. Your experience may vary.
As far as I know, it will also root the newer releases.

This can be flashed from fastboot.

- turn off the watch
- press and hold the power button until you feel the third vibration, display will show "Bootloader version..."
- connect the jig to your watch and secure it so it will not move accidentally.
- connect the USB cable to your computer. Displaty will show "Transfer mode: USB Connected..."
- Launch a terminal session in your computer and issue the commands:
Code:
fastboot boot boot.img
** It's not fastboot flash boot boot.img ** it only needs to be booted, not flashed.

When your device has finished rebooting, you can enter an ADB shell session and type "su", it should show "[email protected]" in the prompt.

If you find something interesting about the workings of this method, please share!

Big thank you to jcase and beaups, it wouldn't have been possible without their help! Visit http://theroot.ninja/

Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxTLcy78OveNeW5tY180cWFhZ3c&usp=sharing

Code:
md5 for boot.img:   5c0c7e885711d94e707dd7713fce0d57
Please, don't ask about the jig/cable in this thread, I'll make some instructions soon.

To encourage more research and developments, use the donate button on the right! thanks!

Last edited:

droidkevlar

Mar 27, 2010
This is a rooted boot image for the moto360. It was made by jcase using a dumped image from my device. It has worked fine to root my device, but nobody is responsible if it breaks your device or anything else. Use it at your own risk!

I'm not completely sure about how it works, but it seems to install the su binary to the system partition, and a few other things, so the root is permanent until you remove it somehow.
I booted this image while my watch was in the KGW42N release, rebooted normally and, after a few hours, I received the update to the latest release normally and maintained root. Your experience may vary.
As far as I know, it will also root the newer releases.

This can be flashed from fastboot.

- turn off the watch
- press and hold the power button until you feel the third vibration, display will show "Bootloader version..."
- connect the jig to your watch and secure it so it will not move accidentally.
- connect the USB cable to your computer. Displaty will show "Transfer mode: USB Connected..."
- Launch a terminal session in your computer and issue the commands:
Code:
fastboot boot boot.img
** It's not fastboot flash boot boot.img ** it only needs to be booted, not flashed.

When your device has finished rebooting, you can enter an ADB shell session and type "su", it should show "[email protected]" in the prompt.

If you find something interesting about the workings of this method, please share!

Big thank you to jcase and beaups, it wouldn't have been possible without their help! Visit http://theroot.ninja/

Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxTLcy78OveNeW5tY180cWFhZ3c&usp=sharing

Code:
md5 for boot.img:   5c0c7e885711d94e707dd7713fce0d57
Please, don't ask about the jig/cable in this thread, I'll make some instructions soon.
If you like, I can provide hosting so that it doesn't kill your google drive. If that's OK with you, I can put it up on 2 diff hostings with unlimited bw and great speeds.

trevorftard

Nov 9, 2011
Brenham, TX.
Please sell me a "jig". Or at least, show me a detailed guide on how to make one and where to buy parts.

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

Please sell me a "jig". Or at least, show me a detailed guide on how to make one and where to buy parts.
I apologize. I literally read what you wrote at the end of your post and I can't delete my previous comment.

beats4x

Oct 6, 2012
I've made the USB connector, and got the device unlocked. I'm already on the R release, anyone know if it's safe to use this? thanks in advance

beats4x

Oct 6, 2012
Lol, I meant thus far.
That's exactly what he meant. That's what you can do if you have the knowledge. If you're on this site to get others work, then absolutely nothing can be done.

Anyone done this on the R build yet? I don't want to brick my device lol

wingman_214

Jul 9, 2007
Laredo,TX
That's exactly what he meant. That's what you can do if you have the knowledge. If you're on this site to get others work, then absolutely nothing can be done.

Anyone done this on the R build yet? I don't want to brick my device lol
This is just a boot that boots on the device, not flash. It "should" work with out any issues.

I plan to try it out this weekend when I make time to unlock the boot loader and ect.

beats4x

Oct 6, 2012
This is just a boot that boots on the device, not flash. It "should" work with out any issues.

I plan to try it out this weekend when I make time to unlock the boot loader and ect.
Haha, yeah, that "should" is what worries me. And I'm outside of my return window now, so it'd be a real shame to lose the device

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone