Rooted Kindle Fire HD with working GAPPS and Play Store

Search This thread

arun_ns

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks worked perfectly with Fire HD 10, 8.1.4

So I gave this a shot and it worked perfectly.

1. Root your Kindle Fire HD
2. Downloaded and install the GoogleServicesFramework.apk
3. Download Vending.apk
4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
6. Install Vending.apk
7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
9. Enjoy!

GoogleServicesFramework.apk - mediafire.com/?zaumfwhraxcifqf
Vending.apk - mediafire.com/?31bn3e258jjpj8d
Play.apk - mediafire.com/?wwcqrlfwt8o1gnv

Xaotikdesigns

May 9, 2011
Pittsburgh
Xaotikdesigns.com
Amazon did not include the stock sync settings from android. In order to get to your google account sync, you need the AccountAndSyncSettings.apk that originally comes with stock android. You can read my notes here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1897380

Once you are able to get to your android sync settings, you can delete and add accounts.

Would I need to install these for things like Google Reader as well?

It asks me to pick an account, then when I do, it closes the app. If I reopen, I get the same thing. I have rebooted.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Services Framework

its telling me that it cant establish a data connection any fix to this?

hunterholman,

This is caused by corrupt or damaged Framework. Remove and Reinstall the Google GoogleServicesFramework.apk, if that does not work, go here and follow our guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

we use files that are validated via Checksum, so the integrity is guaranteed.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Thanks worked perfectly with Fire HD 10, 8.1.4

arun_ns,

I agree, this is a great simple guide. We are adding a Noob Express Series which will have short and quick guides.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Would I need to install these for things like Google Reader as well?

It asks me to pick an account, then when I do, it closes the app. If I reopen, I get the same thing. I have rebooted.

arun_ns,

I think these files are corrupt, many people are having issues, go here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

You can obtain fresh files at the above address. When Google Play does
not store the login info, this is a sign of damaged GoogleServicesFramework.apk,
so having said this download and install fresh copies of GoogleServicesFramework.apk.
Be sure to change the permissions to User: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read.
Then reboot prior to launching Google Play Store. Google Reader can be installed
through Google Play Store.

lamaddbrat

Feb 19, 2013
Rooting help

I am tyring to use the Qemu auto rooter from Sparkym3. I am getting the following error/ conflicts during the install. I have the drivers installed and ADB enabled on the kindle. I have the rooter unzipped into my C: drive.

scott morse

Feb 25, 2013
Mansfield
Success

This worked like a dream. Tedious but worth every minute. I tried the automatic but I couldn't get into fast boot. I guess it's the USB cable thing. The manual method did the trick. No issues. No errors. Had to uninstall/reinstall Facebook due to persistent crashing, and reinstall Kindle app, of all things, but that was no biggie. NOW, I love my Kindle (Fire HD 8.9). Can't thank you enough. :D

3. Download Vending.apk
4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
6. Install Vending.apk
7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
9. Enjoy!

Firecy

Feb 26, 2013
So this worked for me sort of, I got the Google Play store installed, but there's only maybe 20 or 30 apps visible. Also, for some reason, I don't have an icon for Google Play under the apps section of my device, I have to use the Go Launcher and run the store from there.

What I'm trying to use this for is to update a game I had called "Lord of the Dragons", which I downloaded on my computer and installed manually to begin with. But I don't want to have to wait a week or so for someone to upload the apk every time an update is released, so it would be nice to be able to download these updates directly from the store. However, this app isn't available in the store, and if I follow the link given to me when I try to run the game's old version, it shows up, but tells me my device isn't supported (even if I try to use the Market Helper app). Also, when I go to the dashboard after using the Market Helper app, it tells me I don't have any Android devices associated with my Google account.

I have the original Kindle fire, if that matters.

EDIT: I sort of figured out another way of doing this, by downloading BlueStacks and getting the apk file myself. Sorry for bothering y'all.

Last edited:

Biggredd2069

Aug 21, 2013
so I've searched about 5 or 6 websites that all have relatively the same directions on how to root and get the play store. I have rooted successfully and have tried for 2 days now to get the play store to work. I feel like I've redone the instruction 20 times and just can't get it to work. When I get all done I click on the play store icon and looks like its about to open and then does nothing. Not sure what I can add besides I feel I've done every step proper and just can't get it to work.

Also, I tried to remove the ads from another posting I saw. One said to change the extension name of dtcp_apk.apk to bat. That didn't take. Then it said blank out all the permissions. That didn't work either. I have allowed the ES system super user access.

Was all excited to finally do this and now has been nothing but frustration, elevated heart rate and anger.

so I've searched about 5 or 6 websites that all have relatively the same directions on how to root and get the play store. I have rooted successfully and have tried for 2 days now to get the play store to work. I feel like I've redone the instruction 20 times and just can't get it to work. When I get all done I click on the play store icon and looks like its about to open and then does nothing. Not sure what I can add besides I feel I've done every step proper and just can't get it to work.

Also, I tried to remove the ads from another posting I saw. One said to change the extension name of dtcp_apk.apk to bat. That didn't take. Then it said blank out all the permissions. That didn't work either. I have allowed the ES system super user access.

Was all excited to finally do this and now has been nothing but frustration, elevated heart rate and anger.

Have you got es file manager installed on your kindle fire hd

Reactions: andiipee

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
After weeks of trying what you went through I installed TWRP 2.8 and flashed the below ROM and gapps, i now have a perfect tablet that even runs EA need for speed and real racing. And with Amazon's 'underground app' I still have most of the 'kindle' functionality,

cm-11-20140714-2309-jem-sgt7
gapps-kk-20140606-signed

Sent from my Amazon Jem using XDA-Developers mobile app

sirp0p0

Apr 14, 2012
Xiaomi Mi Max 2
After weeks of trying what you went through I installed TWRP 2.8 and flashed the below ROM and gapps, i now have a perfect tablet that even runs EA need for speed and real racing. And with Amazon's 'underground app' I still have most of the 'kindle' functionality,

cm-11-20140714-2309-jem-sgt7
gapps-kk-20140606-signed

Sent from my Amazon Jem using XDA-Developers mobile app

I'm gonna try this ASAP all the CM12/13 ROMs tend to be pretty laggy.

n.fajira

Oct 26, 2016
i once had a working rooted 4.5.5.1 before until i accidentally updated the os to 4.5.5.2. all root tutorial for 4.5.5.1 always return with fail and error

Any idea how to root KFHD 7 2013(soho) with fire os 4.5.5.2?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Download Vending.apk
    6. Install Vending.apk
    9. Enjoy!

Does Amazon Instant video still work after rooting? A bunch of people keep asking this.

Yeah works fine after root.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Yeah works fine after root.

I figured out how to get Google Play Movies to work as well. Place in system/app folder. set permissions to rw r r. reboot. install from file explorer launcher. If it doesn't work, reinstall again. Youtube signs in now as well using the same method!!!

YEAH BABY!
    try rebooting the fire.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

okay, so what worked for me was reinstalling the framework services and rebooting right after, now i am signed in thanks!! :D

3. Download Vending.apk
    6. Install Vending.apk
    9. Enjoy!

Keep in mind that we have no way of restoring the system folder yet, so if anything goes wrong with this process, you may end up bricking your tablet. Just a warning. :D
    how about attaching said apks?

or at least which ones?

i'm going to guess it's the latest gapps for ICS though?