How To Guide Rooted my Pixel 7

Search This thread

Regys

Sep 10, 2012
My friend, you've been around long enough to know better. Your question does not belong in this thread. Root on the Pixel 7 is achieved in much the same way as previous Pixels, except that instead of patching boot.img, you must patch init_boot.img.
I just wanted to know if you did. :)

Thanks !

Ganzdroid

Jul 10, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hello everybody.
I'm going to ask the noob questions and i'm sorry for that.

I rooted many phones but the last one was maybe 10 years ago, so plaese... be gentle :/

1) if i root the P7 (without changing ROM) will i get the OTA updates of the official google ROM?
2) is root reversable without a factory reset?
3) does root block some apps (video app, banking app, ecc)?
4) Is there a way with rooted phone to get full screen app and not cropped video?

Thanks

EduardBT

Jun 12, 2015
Hello everybody.

I rooted many phones but the last one was maybe 10 years ago, so plaese... be gentle :/

1) if i root the P7 (without changing ROM) will i get the OTA updates of the official google ROM?
4) Is there a way with rooted phone to get full screen app and not cropped video?

Thanks
Hi, there are some backing apps (even meal vouchers apps) that don't work on a rooted phone. (in my case I had to revert back the root for my Pixel 7 because of this)

Reactions: Ganzdroid

p4ra

Hello everybody.

Thanks
1. Yes, but you have to do it manually. Either by sideloading or using PixelFlasher tool (very easy to do).
2. No.
3. Yes, but there are ways around it with using some mods after installation of Magisk.
4. Can't say. Not been an issue for me.

teddysx3

Jan 17, 2023
Hello everyone, I'm afraid I'm in the boot loop. I did everything as listed above...

I have tried rooting my Pixel 7 running android 13. I have downloaded my current build number. Unlocked the boot loaded, got the init_boot.img file and ran it through magisk. After that I loaded that file onto with fastboot, and got the boot failure. Then I tried loding with fastboot flash boot back the init_boot.img file, does't work. I also tried the boot.img file too, but this doesn't also work... Any ideas how I can fix this? Have I bricked it or is there a way to get out of this boot loop. I read somewhere that there are slot's for the boot's and init_boot, but I don't know how to manually put them there...

teddysx3

Jan 17, 2023
I think I know what I did wrong. I was watching a pixel 6 rooting video, but I knew and did the init_boot.img file. The problem I have done is at the end, i have placed this command. fastboot flash boot magisk.img, I have placed the magisk init file on the boot.img on the file, I should have done fastboot flash init_boot magisk.img to my udnerstanding....So Now I tried to flash back the stock boot.img to the boot_b, as this was used, and not I get NO COMMENT android logo with red exclemation mark...

teddysx3

Jan 17, 2023
I was able to get into recovery mode, somehow wow....after trying to flash the original boot and init_boot, got into fastboot mode, then it tried to boot, held the volume down button and somehow it worked!!! What didn't work was choosing "Recovery Mode" from the fastboot, never worked, wow what a loooooop

BajaBlast4Life

Jul 23, 2016
My Pixel 7 came with Android 13 out of the retail box. The default boot slot was A. I flashed the patched Magisk file and it resulted in a bootloader bootloop where you restart the phone and it keep rebooting back into the bootloader screen. I came across this YouTube video:
and saw his device was on boot slot B.

Use this command in ADB to change from boot slot A to B before you flash the patched Magisk file.
fastboot --set-active=b

If you flashed the patched Magisk file to boot slot A, you can fix the problem by going to https://developers.google.com/android/images#panther and downloading the "flash" version. This is where you will use Chrome internet browser to restore your device. Make sure to select "keep data" because this will remove the boot failure error.

Juza89

Mar 7, 2023
I have a problem with rooting my Pixel 7. have done it many times before on older phones using twrp and such, but this new method does not seem to be working for me.

Bootloader is unlocked and usb debugging works fine.

Problem is that i simply cant get root access with magisk.
First I tried patching the init.boot file with magisk and flash it. -> remote partition not found.
then i separately flashed it to init_boot_a and init_boot_b. -> flashing works but still no root.
Then i found the "patch the boot.img" method. tried that also. flashed it to both boot slots. still no root.
I have also tried to boot the patched magisk_modified_boot.img from fastboot but still no root. what am I doing wrong here?

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have a problem with rooting my Pixel 7. have done it many times before on older phones using twrp and such, but this new method does not seem to be working for me.

Bootloader is unlocked and usb debugging works fine.

Problem is that i simply cant get root access with magisk.
First I tried patching the init.boot file with magisk and flash it. -> remote partition not found.
then i separately flashed it to init_boot_a and init_boot_b. -> flashing works but still no root.
Then i found the "patch the boot.img" method. tried that also. flashed it to both boot slots. still no root.
I have also tried to boot the patched magisk_modified_boot.img from fastboot but still no root. what am I doing wrong here?
Flashing Magisk through TWRP was so much simpler in the past, I do miss TWRP a lot....but I fear they will never catch up to the current version of Android as once they seem to finally support it, a new version of Android comes out which it won't work with; I don't blame them though, as I understand it, they don't find enough testers and code-writers when a new Android version comes out each time....

It's not like the older devices where you can temporarily boot with root anymore; fastboot boot magisk.img will no longer allow you to boot temporarily with root -- at least with Pixel 7's.

What is the exact command syntax you are exactly inputting in your cmd/powershell? What does it return when you enter it? I'm thinking that's where things might be going wrong...

Juza89

Mar 7, 2023
Ok I got it to work. Some problem with magisk installed on nonrooted pixel or something.
Or the fact that it was canary -version.

Uninstalled magisk from pixel 7.
Uploaded init.boot to old OP6 with root and magisk 25.2 stable installed already. Patched init_boot with old phones magisk.

Flashed the patched init_boot to pixel 7 slot a with no magisk installed beforehand and now it seems to work!

Problem solved.

Last edited:

doggydog2

Also got delayed by canary version (use stable) and also flashing into boot instead of init_boot:)
I noticed a great function in the dev settings: hide notch in OnePlus6 style. So the clock is next to notch, but apps don't expand to it. Choice: "Render apps below cutout area". Good.
After 10minuts, gesture navigation stops working in all recent builds. Fingerprint icon is positioned wrong. That's two issues i've got so far.

Magnivore

Mar 5, 2023
You didn't try the steps I listed as I never said to flash a rooted bootloader
I'm in the same spot at hammered was. I wasn't making progress with this tutorial as there were a bunch of steps missing, though thanks to a post linked by rspkt in the second page it started to help. Once I got to the final steps this same thing happened to me; boots to the fastboot page and says it can't be trusted, says something about it being corrupt, and then boots to just showing the Google logo. My computer is no longer able to detect the device so I can't flash the default boot image to it from Google's page.

Anyone have any advice on how I can fix this?

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the same spot at hammered was. I wasn't making progress with this tutorial as there were a bunch of steps missing, though thanks to a post linked by rspkt in the second page it started to help. Once I got to the final steps this same thing happened to me; boots to the fastboot page and says it can't be trusted, says something about it being corrupt, and then boots to just showing the Google logo. My computer is no longer able to detect the device so I can't flash the default boot image to it from Google's page.

Anyone have any advice on how I can fix this?
So you can't boot into bootloader/fastboot mode?

Magnivore

Mar 5, 2023
So you can't boot into bootloader/fastboot mode?
It boots to a bootloader-type screen where it says it can't be trusted and wants me to press the power button to continue, then after that it shows another similar screen with a message saying the bootloader is unlocked and may vulnerable to attackers that automatically continues unless I press the power button to pause, then the Google logo.
So no it's not the normal bootloader screen with the ability to cycle boots that also has info on the bottom left.

Last edited:

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
It boots to a bootloader-type screen where it says it can't be trusted and wants me to press the power button to continue, then after that it shows another similar screen with a message saying the bootloader is unlocked and may vulnerable to attackers that automatically continues unless I press the power button to pause, then the Google logo.
So no it's not the normal bootloader screen with the ability to cycle boots that also has info on the bottom left.
can you boot into bootloader/fastboot mode using the button combination? Power+Vol-Down at the same time from when the phone is off...
*You may need to hold down for what seems an inordinate amount of time; I would say as high up to 2 whole minutes...

If you can get into bootloader/fastboot mode, we should be able to correct this well enough; either enabling verity & verification and/or by flashing a Full Factory image to try and reset all the necessary partitions and permissions...

Magnivore

Mar 5, 2023
can you boot into bootloader/fastboot mode using the button combination? Power+Vol-Down at the same time from when the phone is off...
*You may need to hold down for what seems an inordinate amount of time; I would say as high up to 2 whole minutes...

If you can get into bootloader/fastboot mode, we should be able to correct this well enough; either enabling verity & verification and/or by flashing a Full Factory image to try and reset all the necessary partitions and permissions...
I will try it when I get a break at work. Assuming it does work then what are my steps from there?

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I will try it when I get a break at work. Assuming it does work then what are my steps from there?
There wouldn't be much you could do until you can connect your device to your computer so you could attempt to enable verity &/or verification (which I believe might be the issue), or try to correct the boot partition by flashing older & newest boot images which might be the cause of said "can't be trusted" "being corrupt" error message...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Posting my findings here on how I rooted my p7, no links ,,as always do your homework before attempting . Plus I did a complete factory image reset via adb flashall.bat, I hope I didn't miss a step, Iam coming from a pixel 4a so it's almost the same

1, install latest adb platform tools on computer
    2, unlock bootloader on p7
    3, Download latest release of pixel 7 factory image on computer
    4, unzip and copy init_boot.img to folder in phone
    5, install latest Magisk 25.2 on phone
    6, patch the init_boot.img with magisk
    7, transfer patched file back to adb platform tools folder
    8, enter bootloader do a "fastboot flash init_boot magskpatchedfile.img.
    9, reboot and test,

I have removed the _a in the cmd line as it appears its not needed

This is what finally worked for me after much testing and reading in the p7p forum. There may be additional steps to get safety net and such to work there is a lot of info on the p7p forum.

Ok,, this how I flashed ,and will flash, the new updates coming out so as not to lose data ,this will NOT do a wipe plus it's faster ,,,,, I know there are multiple other ways but for now I choose this,, hth

1. Download the correct ota file here
    https://developers.google.com/android/ota and copy to adb folder

2. Place phone in factory recovery and toggle to apply update from adb,,
    3. Open cmd prompt in adb folder type adb sideload factoryota.zip ,,,takes 5-10 minutes to complete, reboot ,,

if rooted,

1 download correct full image zip here
    https://developers.google.com/android/images. That matches ota you just flashed,
    2 extract the ini.boot.img , patch with magisk and reflash in adb for root
    Has anyone been able to get the root version of Vanced Youtube to install? I'm getting an error saying that stock app is too new and it can't be downgraded.
    I used the 'debloater' magisk module to remove YouTube. When I rebooted, YouTube was still installed but it was no longer a system app which allowed me to uninstall it. And then installed YouTube from vanced manager with no issue.
    Posting my findings here on how I rooted my p7, no links ,,as always do your homework before attempting . Plus I did a complete factory image reset via adb flashall.bat, I hope I didn't miss a step, Iam coming from a pixel 4a so it's almost the same

1, install latest adb platform tools on computer
    2, unlock bootloader on p7
    3, Download latest release of pixel 7 factory image on computer
    4, unzip and copy init_boot.img to folder in phone
    5, install latest Magisk 25.2 on phone
    6, patch the init_boot.img with magisk
    7, transfer patched file back to adb platform tools folder
    8, enter bootloader do a "fastboot flash init_boot magskpatchedfile.img.
    9, reboot and test,

I have removed the _a in the cmd line as it appears its not needed

This is what finally worked for me after much testing and reading in the p7p forum. There may be additional steps to get safety net and such to work there is a lot of info on the p7p forum.

Ok,, this how I flashed ,and will flash, the new updates coming out so as not to lose data ,this will NOT do a wipe plus it's faster ,,,,, I know there are multiple other ways but for now I choose this,, hth

1. Download the correct ota file here
    https://developers.google.com/android/ota and copy to adb folder

2. Place phone in factory recovery and toggle to apply update from adb,,
    3. Open cmd prompt in adb folder type adb sideload factoryota.zip ,,,takes 5-10 minutes to complete, reboot ,,

if rooted,

1 download correct full image zip here
    https://developers.google.com/android/images. That matches ota you just flashed,
    2 extract the ini.boot.img , patch with magisk and reflash in adb for root
    I did a re-edit for ota if anyone is interested!!
    Hey guys. I'm getting a Pixel 7 to replace the old Oneplus 8 and I'm reading the rooting instructions hammered58 posted.

Mnemonical: You said it was the _a that was causing the trouble. I don't understand the error. Did you fix the problem by omitting the _a or did you get confused and flash to the inactive slot (_b)?

Hitman478: Let me make sure I understand. You're saying you can skip the _a (or _b) entirely and it will default to the active slot? Just making sure.

Also: Magisk is easy to find. But where exactly do you download the factory image from? Would it be the boot.img file or the whole thing and then extract boot.img with Payload Dumper?

I'm assuming unlocking the bootloader is the same as on the Oneplus. On it you go into Developers Options, then Unlock Bootloader and activate USB Debugging. Plug in and type "fastboot oem unlock". Is this correct on the Pixel too?

Thanks,
    Hello
    Factory images here, unzip and you will find init file https://developers.google.com/android/images
    unlocking cmd " fastboot flashing unlock"

the "_a " slot add on is the only way I could get the cmd to work and give me root, I tried the cmd without it, but it was not recognized, you can try not adding it and see if yours works
    hth
    Well, I finally received my Pixel 7. After 2½ hours of head-butting I finally got the damn thing to work. Let me explain what happened for the benefit of those who might run into the same issues.

After bringing up Developers Options, the Unlock Bootloader entry was grayed out. Fortunately the Pixel Pro rooting site had a fix: get online and type *#*#2432546#*#* into the phone's dialer. It worked.

As has been mentioned many times, unlocking the bootloader resets everything. Once again you have to bring up Developers Options and activate USB Debugging to continue. Even the device's MAC address changes in case you have access control on your router.

There was an update available. Despite the fact that the amount of data downloaded was a mere 75 MB, the update took forever. I waited until it finished.

Installing Magisk and patching the init_boot.img file was pretty easy. When attempting to root I misread the instructions and believed init_boot on the command line was part of the filename. Upon realizing the mistake, and since the error messages used the word "partition", I used init_boot_b after using the getvar command. It worked! It's now clear that the use of _a or _b after init_boot is optional. It'll work with or without mentioning the active slot.

For the benefit of those of you who might not know, I strongly suggest installing a Magisk module called Shamiko. It's an excellent root hider and it worked for me. I stumbled upon it by accident. Get it at magiskroot.net or from Github. Zygisk must be enabled and Enforced Denylist disabled. After you install it go to Configure Denylist and pick out the apps you want to hide root from.

Hope all his helps.