Rooted Nexus 6P - Possible to get OTA updates?

Search This thread

vacaloca

Jun 11, 2010
Another easy way to update that I found is to use the nexus root toolkit. Has a nice GUI that will flash a new (or older) build and has the option to preserve user data as well. After that also lets you flash the latest systemless supersu and twrp (if desired) among other things.

Reactions: squall458

toknitup420

Jan 8, 2011
boston
Another easy way to update that I found is to use the nexus root toolkit. Has a nice GUI that will flash a new (or older) build and has the option to preserve user data as well. After that also lets you flash the latest systemless supersu and twrp (if desired) among other things.
Tool kits lead to nothing but problems.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pain-N-Panic

yuppicide

Mar 11, 2013
I rooted my phone and installed TWRP 3.0.0.0. I'm running the January update, but February isn't showing for my phone.

Are we saying I can't flash the february OTA manually unless I go back to stop recovery? Because I don't wanna do that. I only want to install Feb to see if helps my crappy battery life issues.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I rooted my phone and installed TWRP 3.0.0.0. I'm running the January update, but February isn't showing for my phone.

Are we saying I can't flash the february OTA manually unless I go back to stop recovery? Because I don't wanna do that. I only want to install Feb to see if helps my crappy battery life issues.
You can use fastboot to flash the February MMB29Q OTA.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Toolkits are cool as long you know how to update MANUALLY in case the kit fails, which from what I can see by other user's posts, they fail often. Heisenberg's guide breaks down how to update/images via fastboot in such an easy to read guide a ten year old can understand it. It doesn't take long to do either. Just a few fastboot commands and boom, you're updated. As long as you have the knowledge to complete the process manually with fastboot I see no issue taking shortcuts with toolkits.

yuppicide

Mar 11, 2013
I did try to sideload ota and get error 7. Not sure if I was supposed to boot into TWRP and select the Advanced -> ADB Sideload or whatever it says.

So I got Flashfire and it says "warning: it has been detected that you may be trying to flash a block-level ota, but your /system, /vendor, or /oem partition has been modified. This will likely cause the flash to fail!"

Only thing I did was root with Chainfire and install TWRP.

Last edited:
G

GuestD0701

Thanks. This is helpful, even though it makes me feel like a baby. It's sad, considering we old-timers have been flashing **** that, at the time, seemed more complex. Or maybe it didn't. Never bricked a windows CE device. This isn't really 'complex' anyway. Just feels like far too many steps. I want a twrp flashable image, simply.

We had a dev on Nexus 6 that made ota's for all updates and they were all twrp flashables and worked like a charm. It can be done I believe seeing how it was on Shamu its just not at this time for us. I believe the devs name was Qnap. I'd never seen anything like it. He made files that you could update perfectly but keep your root and twrp and he had option to flash and go straight stock without root. Qnap is a beast. I don't believe he has a Angler. ?
I always just look at the updates , download the ota and unzip and see what's different from previous and just restore a stock backup and flash what's new and leave the rest. Works fine. Last ota had same bootloader and radio. lol. Was sure hoping for a new radio. Maybe some day. ?

dl200010

Aug 8, 2011
mc.thekitsunesden.com
You can root the phone and all, but if you change the system partition, or even mount it read/write once, you will not get OTA. They are block OTAs on this device. They verify the signature of your entire partition before update and refuse to update if it does not match. The upside of the Nexus devices is that you can either compile AOSP yourself, like I do, or you can just install the factory images they post online for free. No need for OTA.

phynias

Jun 12, 2010
www.turk-182.com
Reactions: dengseng

dengseng

Oct 10, 2011
Adelaide
Thanks for that one. :good:

Tried it and it worked. So far,so good. :highfive:
Immediatly purchased Pro version.
Thanks to @Chainfire for his amazing work again !!
uh uh... I ran into problems after using flashfire, I might have missed a step, my battery drops like crazy and charging takes 3 times longer

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Here is what I do. So long as you do not flash or wipe userdata, this method should maintain all your app data and settings:

1. Download files:
* Latest factory image from: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=en and extract .img files to a folder on your computer with fastboot.
* Modified boot.img from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/wip-android-6-0-marshmellow-t3219344 and extract boot.img to the same folder (I usually rename it to modifiedboot.img so I have have the original boot.img and modified images in the same folder).
* Latest version of TWRP from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...recovery-twrp-2-8-7-0-touch-recovery-t3234976 (direct link: https://dl.twrp.me/angler/) to the same folder
* Systemless SuperSU from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133 (do not unzip) to /sdcard/download folder on phone

2. Flash .img files using the following commands:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img [using current name of bootloader image - not necessary if no change to bootloader from prior factory image]
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-angler.img [using current name of radio image - not necessary if no change to radio from prior factory image]
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot flash boot modifiedboot.img
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.x-angler.img [replace x with the current version]

3. Boot into recovery (TWRP), flash SuperSU.zip from /sdcard/download, wipe davlik and regular caches and reboot to system.

Upon reboot, Android will optimize all of your apps, so the first boot will take a while. However, the whole process usually takes me about 20 minutes - perhaps a bit more if I do a TWRP backup before upgrading (recommended).

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

OR - as I suggested in another thread, if you really want to take the OTA, instead of the above method, you probably could do the following (note I haven't tested this, but I assume it would work) - files can be downloaded using the same links listed above:

1. Flash stock boot.img and recovery.img from current factory image (e.g., if you are currently running MDB08K, you will want to download the MDB08K factory image (not the newer one) and extract the boot.img and recovery.img files from that archive - note that this step will temporarily disable root and TWRP)
2. Boot into system, download and install OTA
3. Reflash modified boot.img from Chainfire and TWRP recovery (i.e., fastboot flash boot boot.img, fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.x-angler.img)
4. Install SuperSU using TWRP
thanks for the detailed step-by-step, it takes some getting used to but it's pretty fast and safe without using all the toolkits/non recovery mode apps

but I have a question, do we have to flash the modified boot.img? I don't recall having needed that when I first rooted

benryu

Jul 29, 2012

dl200010

Aug 8, 2011
mc.thekitsunesden.com
Hi. I just recently rooted my Nexus 6P and received the May security OTA update today. I have uninstalled certain system apps and i understand flashfire will not work in that case. I was reading this thread http://nexus5.wonderhowto.com/how-t...thout-losing-root-no-computer-needed-0168428/ and was wondering how to find out which of the partitions have been updated in an OTA update so that i can flash those partitions accordingly.
If you are rooted, then you will have to flash the factory images or the full OTA. Full OTA does not come down as OTA message on your phone. Both are on Google's site. Just Google "Nexus factory image". You will have to reroot the phone.

Nexus 6P uses the new block based OTA and verify the system and vendor partitions before booting and flashing. You cannot mount the system or vendor writable ever or the verify will fail and the phone will boot loop. You can find boot images that disable verify or stick with SuperSU's systemless root method.

Sent from my DLROM on Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app

benryu

Jul 29, 2012
If you are rooted, then you will have to flash the factory images or the full OTA. Full OTA does not come down as OTA message on your phone. Both are on Google's site. Just Google "Nexus factory image". You will have to reroot the phone.

Nexus 6P uses the new block based OTA and verify the system and vendor partitions before booting and flashing. You cannot mount the system or vendor writable ever or the verify will fail and the phone will boot loop. You can find boot images that disable verify or stick with SuperSU's systemless root method.

Sent from my DLROM on Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app

Thanks bro. I got them updated using the factory images. Can i update to Nougat in the same way?

Remanifest

Feb 22, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Here is what I do. So long as you do not flash or wipe userdata, this method should maintain all your app data and settings:

1. Download files:
* Latest factory image from: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=en and extract .img files to a folder on your computer with fastboot.
* Modified boot.img from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/wip-android-6-0-marshmellow-t3219344 and extract boot.img to the same folder (I usually rename it to modifiedboot.img so I have have the original boot.img and modified images in the same folder).
* Latest version of TWRP from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...recovery-twrp-2-8-7-0-touch-recovery-t3234976 (direct link: https://dl.twrp.me/angler/) to the same folder
* Systemless SuperSU from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133 (do not unzip) to /sdcard/download folder on phone

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img [using current name of bootloader image - not necessary if no change to bootloader from prior factory image]
fastboot flash radio radio-angler.img [using current name of radio image - not necessary if no change to radio from prior factory image]
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.x-angler.img [replace x with the current version]

3. Boot into recovery (TWRP), flash SuperSU.zip from /sdcard/download, wipe davlik and regular caches and reboot to system.

Upon reboot, Android will optimize all of your apps, so the first boot will take a while. However, the whole process usually takes me about 20 minutes - perhaps a bit more if I do a TWRP backup before upgrading (recommended).

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

OR - as I suggested in another thread, if you really want to take the OTA, instead of the above method, you probably could do the following (note I haven't tested this, but I assume it would work) - files can be downloaded using the same links listed above:

1. Flash stock boot.img and recovery.img from current factory image (e.g., if you are currently running MDB08K, you will want to download the MDB08K factory image (not the newer one) and extract the boot.img and recovery.img files from that archive - note that this step will temporarily disable root and TWRP)
3. Reflash modified boot.img from Chainfire and TWRP recovery (i.e., fastboot flash boot boot.img, fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.x-angler.img)
Thank you so very much. I was able to successfully update to 7.0.0 using this method. This was, by far, the easiest upgrade method for me. I'm very comfortable in the terminal, perhaps more than anywhere else on a computer, so this made me feel right at home. Thanks again for the great instructions!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the least number of steps, what is the best way with chainfire modified boot image, and twrp? I love updates, but I loathe having to undo what I've accomplished in the way of customization. I know I'm not the only one who finds it a pain.

1. Download files:

fastboot erase cache

You need the stock recovery to take otas Thats why it won't work

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Free mobile app
    Before, it initiates an update install. It checks root status. If it finds the device is rooted then it stops OTA install, to prevent any further damage to the phone.
    For me my rooted 6P takes an OTA just fine with a few extra steps.
    I let my phone download the OTA and restart. Phone restarts into TWRP installs the OTA and reboots. I then restart into bootloader/fastboot and fastboot TWRP. While still in TWRP I use TWRP to install superSU. Reboot form TWRP phone starts and is rooted.

I don't know if this will work for everyone but it works me. Takes less then five minutes not counting the time it takes the phone to DL the OTA. I keep a zip of SuperSU in the phones downloads folder.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone