• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Rooted NK2 AT&T t337a w/ Tutorial

Search This thread

DUHAsianSKILLZ

Aug 6, 2014
Columbus
@moonbutt was trying already but he struck out. However, there is a new tool called FlashFire from the dev of SuperSU that works for the AT&T S5 locked bootloader that *may* be worth checking out. I am NOT a dev, so I can't elaborate on it. If someone with that talent wants to check it out, maybe we can have something for our Tab4.

I did some research (just Googled flashfire works on locked bootloader) and chain fire said this "The app itself can work with a locked bootloader. But if you're going to flash things like custom kernels then your phone will (soft)brick. It's a warning/disclaimer just in case."

Here's his post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60059287&postcount=199

So... yeah someone might wanna try something idk.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pre4speed

thejoker954

Feb 5, 2012
LG V40
if flashfire ends up working with our tablet that will be awesome. I'm waiting for a more stable version of flashfire before I try playing with it. if nothing else, just having the ability to make and restore a backup would be amazing.

not sure if we would ever be able to get a touchwiz-less rom (don't know much about rom development so don't know if stock kernel would work with a non-touchwiz rom) , but I can dream.

DUHAsianSKILLZ

Aug 6, 2014
Columbus
I found more info regarding flashfire. Here's what someone tested

- Will run on Android v4.x.x/5.0.x.<br />
- Will not trip your Knox Warranty Flag.<br />
- Will flash ROM's (use "flash .zip or ota" option).<br />
- No AROMA installer ROM's.<br />
- <font color="Red">Caution!</font> FF flashes to the boot partition, i.e. flashing custom kernels will result in soft brick!<br />
- You can drop a Full Odin .tar or .zip file containing the raw images onto your device and it will flash system, kernel, cache, and recovery (will not flash modem, non-hlos, or bootloader) (use "flash firmware package" option).<br />
- You can flash the remaining partitions via a .zip at the same time or via your PC using Odin.<br />
- Flashes .tars with unsigned images, e.g. system.img.ext4, modem.bin. (use "flash firmware package" option).<br />
- You can also flash individual (un-.tar'd) images, e.g. recovery.img, boot.img.<br />
- Flashes .zip files, e.g. mod's, SuperSu Update.zips, etc (use "flash .zip or ota" option).<br />
- Makes Backups of and Restores all partitions.<br />
- Wipes partitions.<br />
- Injects Root.<br />
<br />

-DUHA

thejoker954

Feb 5, 2012
LG V40
Injects root? Thought it required root.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

from my understanding it requires root to initially install, but it will inject root for say at&ts/samsung official lollipop update which obviously wouldn't be rooted. so we wouldn't have to wait for someone to find an exploit.

**edit**
broke down and tried flashfire a little. I successfully backed up my system partition, but my sd card died the other day so I don't have space to try a full backup. took about 10 scary minutes of black screen before it rebooted ( I really hope chainfire can do something about that - even if its just a simple "working" text.)

gonna try and find something that comes in a flashable zip to test, if anyone has any ideas for this let me know.

Last edited:

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
from my understanding it requires root to initially install, but it will inject root for say at&ts/samsung official lollipop update which obviously wouldn't be rooted. so we wouldn't have to wait for someone to find an exploit.

**edit**
broke down and tried flashfire a little. I successfully backed up my system partition, but my sd card died the other day so I don't have space to try a full backup. took about 10 scary minutes of black screen before it rebooted ( I really hope chainfire can do something about that - even if its just a simple "working" text.)

gonna try and find something that comes in a flashable zip to test, if anyone has any ideas for this let me know.
You did this on the 337a? Try flashing a theme or something from the theme section?

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Yes, I am doing this on the 337a. Just flashed viper4android from the tab 4 theme section but it didn't work. however i'm not sure it's a flashfire issue as I then flashed custombootanimation.zip (lets us use bootanimation.zip as opposed to that stupid qmg format.) and it worked.

for more info on the custombootanimation : http://www.xda-developers.com/add-custom-boot-animation-to-any-samsung-rom/
This is very promising! If we can just get a dev to attempt a rom to test that would be awesome. I'm in the midst of moving (and painting the entire inside of a 1500 Sq ft house first! ?) or I would test anything and everything. I haven't taken any updates beyond what it shipped with so I still have the option of doing an ODIN restore and being able to root with towelroot. What about flashing previous version kernels? Can you try that?

CocaFoca

Jan 7, 2014
This is very promising! If we can just get a dev to attempt a rom to test that would be awesome. I'm in the midst of moving (and painting the entire inside of a 1500 Sq ft house first! ) or I would test anything and everything. I haven't taken any updates beyond what it shipped with so I still have the option of doing an ODIN restore and being able to root with towelroot. What about flashing previous version kernels? Can you try that?

How would we go about trying to flash a rom? I would be up for testing anything if someone would link me to a rom! I took a look at flashfire and was SO LOST lol. I really hope we would be able to cm 12 or something like that.

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
How would we go about trying to flash a rom? I would be up for testing anything if someone would link me to a rom! I took a look at flashfire and was SO LOST lol. I really hope we would be able to cm 12 or something like that.
Yeah we would have to have a dev that is willing to make or port a ROM. The problem with this device is there just isn't enough dev interest. Hopefully someone SOMEWHERE can help. Lol

thejoker954

Feb 5, 2012
LG V40
sorry for the late reply, family is in town so have been dealing with that.

* first - sorry to keep hijacking your thread CocaFoca - I keep wanting to start a new thread about about flashfire and the 337a, but as I'm just taking shots in the dark here, ( I really don't know anything about the workings of android) I just want to keep posting where I found out about flashfire :p -without you I wouldn't even have root lol.

*2nd -only the nf4 update (downgrade) is available (http://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-4/general/links-stock-galaxy-tab-4-firmware-t3013128) nk2 is the newest right? ( I really don't know much I am used to working off what others have done and ignore official stuff.)
Due to space limitations (sd card died as previously stated) I'm currently attempting a titanium backup for user apps - then uninstalling said apps before I try flashing nf4. but I have to admit, I'm kind of scared to be trying this without a sd card. I'm going to back up everything I can onto my pc before I try this, but even so... lol... I really hope we can find someone who knows what their doing.

*3rd- (again I really don't know about the workings) but we may be able to port a rom from another tab 4 device. but it would still take someone who has at least an idea of what they're doing (and I certainly don't) to even get something that would boot on our device, never-mind be fully functionable.

**edit**
well it was sort of a success - my tab didn't blow up or otherwise die, but while I got the build number to change the kernel version remained the same.
It may be something as simple as needing to change some settings in flashfire. but maybe not, as flashfire says protected partitions should still be flashed with odin.

oh man, as I was typing this I remembered I'm using the older kernel already. doh. that's how we got root lol. if anyone has the newer nk2 kernel I could try flashing that but I haven't been able to find any downloads for nk2 myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: pre4speed

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
The modulus shouldn't matter in most cases. It's just an upper bound for the generated sigature.

I just noticed this quoted in another thread and -while it's old hat now- I couldn't let it slide...
The modulus doesn't matter **at all**. A cube is a cube is a cube... (-;
AND: the PKCS#1 v1.5 format itself gives a sharper upper bound that works for any modulus
(and its cuberoot is fairly trivial to do by hand).

vortox

Jan 20, 2012
I just noticed this quoted in another thread and -while it's old hat now- I couldn't let it slide...
The modulus doesn't matter **at all**. A cube is a cube is a cube... (-;
AND: the PKCS#1 v1.5 format itself gives a sharper upper bound that works for any modulus
(and its cuberoot is fairly trivial to do by hand).

That's right. I just wasn't sure if I overlooked a case.
If you do by hand numbers will just be very big ;)

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
That's right. I just wasn't sure if I overlooked a case.
If you do by hand numbers will just be very big ;)

True. but if you take the closest power of 2 as an upperbound,
taking cuberoot would mean dividing the exponent by 3.
I don't think that's out of reach for most people past high school. ;)

omega33655

Jul 9, 2015
amazing. i cheapened out and got this tablet instead of the 8.4 (which i regret) and suffered with a mediocre tablet with less power than my phone and certainly not as snappy. i had been looking around and around for a way to root it and finally the original poster helped me out. my ATT t337a is now rooted and after freezing bloatware much faster. it was so sluggish before!!

one question, anyone know how to enable OTG?? i assumed it was enabled and ran to the store, bought the cable+usb drive and found out otherwise...tried every app on the market without success.

rl0156

May 7, 2010
OTG works fine for me on my stock un modded t337a .

amazing. i cheapened out and got this tablet instead of the 8.4 (which i regret) and suffered with a mediocre tablet with less power than my phone and certainly not as snappy. i had been looking around and around for a way to root it and finally the original poster helped me out. my ATT t337a is now rooted and after freezing bloatware much faster. it was so sluggish before!!

one question, anyone know how to enable OTG?? i assumed it was enabled and ran to the store, bought the cable+usb drive and found out otherwise...tried every app on the market without success.

Is it possible that you froze or removed something that is affecting OTG? Did OTG work for you before you rooted?

Reactions: omega33655

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ******UPDATE FIX YOUR T337A WITH LOLIPOP FRIMWARE FILE******* I do not take credit for this file at all, all credit goes to MichaelSaya. Here is a direct quote from him "Here is the link to my Google drive with the Official Lollipop Firmware for the AT&T TAB 4, SM-T-337-A https://mega.nz/#!0Q4AXQgZ!Df-pTUo6eA80kGTrzpYCAJ0ilGbUzMYCE4nRtvume6s Place in AP slot in Odin and flash. Be aware that many have been bricked. Only root with Kingroot and when you reboot, you will lose root. Simply re-root with Kingroot and you will be fine. DO NOT REPLACE KINGROOT WITH SUPERSU!!!!! YOU WILL BRICK!!!!! But we have the firmware now so we can now play around knowing that if we mess something up, we can fix it."

I found a way to re-root the t337a with the latest OTA NK2. Not sure if I was the only one in this boat or whatever but I got bored and started experiment. First thing i did was Flash the older NF4 kernel with ODIN. Put this in the PDA slot and flash! It was successful, I downloaded Towel root, and bam! Root working again ! :) Cheers!

Tutorial:

1. Get the latest drivers to make sure everything goes smooth http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...NG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.0.exe
    2. Get Odin if you don't have it yet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421
    3. Download the NF4 kernel from the attachment below
    4. Go into Odin.
    5. Click on PDA, search for the file you downloaded boot.tar and select it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/XrqVPLZ.png
    6. Now, put your tablet into download mode! If you don't know how to enter download mode go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDE1oB2-nYw its the s5 but same concept.
    7. Plug in your tablet and it should say something like this in message window in odin: http://i.imgur.com/uWFc4YX.png
    8. Now, hit start. Let the process run. If all goes well it should say RESET! I dont know what happened to this pic lol http://i.imgur.com/AbH5qW7.png but hopefully you get the point.
    9. Give the tablet a few minutes to boot. Keep it plugged in until you see PASS! http://i.imgur.com/eTuHDUl.png
    10. Go get towel root. Run it. And BAM! You are rooted again :)

*** WARNING *** This doesn't work with the lolipop update. I have tried to downgrade my tablet and it did softbrick it. Do not try to downgrade your tablet/try this method if you are running lolipop 5.1.1. This only works on kitkat. HOWEVER. I have the lolipop boot.tar. Use the instructions above to unbrick your tablet (This will not give you root access. I'm going to look at it and see if I can figure something out to get root access). I have not tested this myself because mine is at a friends house BUT this should work. Cheers
    Do you need the 5.1.1 boot.img or the kitkat one?

Here is a link to the 5.1.1 OTA .cfg file. Change the extension to .zip and you can open it as an archive.
    I found more info regarding flashfire. Here's what someone tested

- Will run on Android v4.x.x/5.0.x.<br />
    - Will not trip your Knox Warranty Flag.<br />
    - Will flash ROM's (use "flash .zip or ota" option).<br />
    - No AROMA installer ROM's.<br />
    - <font color="Red">Caution!</font> FF flashes to the boot partition, i.e. flashing custom kernels will result in soft brick!<br />
    - You can drop a Full Odin .tar or .zip file containing the raw images onto your device and it will flash system, kernel, cache, and recovery (will not flash modem, non-hlos, or bootloader) (use "flash firmware package" option).<br />
    - You can flash the remaining partitions via a .zip at the same time or via your PC using Odin.<br />
    - Flashes .tars with unsigned images, e.g. system.img.ext4, modem.bin. (use "flash firmware package" option).<br />
    - You can also flash individual (un-.tar'd) images, e.g. recovery.img, boot.img.<br />
    - Flashes .zip files, e.g. mod's, SuperSu Update.zips, etc (use "flash .zip or ota" option).<br />
    - Makes Backups of and Restores all partitions.<br />
    - Wipes partitions.<br />
    - Injects Root.<br />
    <br />

-DUHA
    anyone know how to unroot so I can return back to store

need the stock firmware T337A

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3013128

That thread has the firmware, and I have a copy. Problem is that you can't flash KK over LL. If you find a way, let me know.
    No and there never will be unless we get a safestrap type recovery for it.

We should start a thread and try to gather everything we know. I would love to have a custom rom for my tab 4, stock is so slow... Will do anything I can to help get this working.