Rooted palm pre vs Rooted Hero

Search This thread

kevphan08

Aug 12, 2010
Had a question for those who used to own Palm pres and rooted them.

As of now how would you compare the Palm Pre (rooted of course) to that of a rooted Hero (say mine, AOSP 2.3.3)

Does the palm offer anything better than the hero does. Just wondering because a guy on C-list is selling his palm for cheap and was wondering if it would be worth the time to maybe switch up phones.

If i'm in the wrong thread sorry, if this offends people because its not directly a Android HeroC question, sorry again. Just wanted to ask

dpeeps74

Oct 28, 2009
Austin
i have no first hand knowledge..but better? perhaps the cpu and the ability to use a touchstone..and a slide out portrait keyboard, which i do know a lot of people that liked that design.

what's not better? probably development for webOS as compared to Android...i'd imagine you can still find more WinMo 6.5 apps than you can webOS, as I never see anyone with Pres or Pixis. Everyone owns Android phones and iphones.

just my $.02

systemshock869

Aug 30, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
The palm is way smoother and faster, once you overclock it. I'm running screenstate 500/800 and its great. Battery life is pretty good too. Beyond that, I prefer android. There are way more and better apps. Also, tethering on the pre is harder to achieve and is a much slower connection, fwiw. Could be because I haven't figured out how to update radio/profile/prl on the pre.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using XDA Premium App

kevphan08

Aug 12, 2010
Good to know

Thanks for the response. Reason i'm asking is i'd just like a change of phone for now and i'd rather not do a true upgrade, but instead maybe move to a phone that was what i was trying to decide on when i first got my upgrade last year.

Again thanks for the responses.

Nsandhu23

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks for the response. Reason i'm asking is i'd just like a change of phone for now and i'd rather not do a true upgrade, but instead maybe move to a phone that was what i was trying to decide on when i first got my upgrade last year.

Again thanks for the responses.

Be careful though, activating an "old" phone is considered an "upgrade" to Sprint, so they will charge you the new $10 premium data charge that comes with activating a smartphone.

From my Gingerbread Hero.

emmetmyers

Jun 16, 2010
Be careful though, activating an "old" phone is considered an "upgrade" to Sprint, so they will charge you the new $10 premium data charge that comes with activating a smartphone.

From my Gingerbread Hero.
don't that just suck! did it to me when switching to a used hero from a hero!

Bierce22

Nov 10, 2010
canton ga
man i wish we wouldve got that webos port to work awhile back until sandix or whatever that douchebags name was ruined it for everybody, that wouldve have been the coolest thing ever.:mad:

waffle_

Mar 7, 2011
Gainesville, FL
The Hero is a great phone ONCE it is rooted. If you don't have the Hero rooted it's basically a pile of crap. I'd pick the Hero(rooted) over a palm pre(rooted) any day.

And with AOSP developing an incredible rom for the Hero, it's a nobrainer.

kevphan08

Aug 12, 2010
Nice input guys

Yeah for clarification I do have a rooted hero (aosp 2.3.3) its just i'd like something thats more integrated. I liked, when looking at the pre before, how it integrated all my contacts honestly a lot better. I like having my google account synced to everything, but I've had times where switching roms and stuff i lose important contacts and it sucks.

Just trying to find a different scenery i guess since sprints pretty much put hero's in the dump.

Also as a little note i hate how we're so limited with our phones. Can't play really any games, barely any ROMs that I'd like to try but cant because of our hardware, etc...

Anyways i'm rambling... Take it easy guys

jasonmaloney

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 7, 2010
Lafayette, LA
www.masterjason.com
Yeah for clarification I do have a rooted hero (aosp 2.3.3) its just i'd like something thats more integrated. I liked, when looking at the pre before, how it integrated all my contacts honestly a lot better. I like having my google account synced to everything, but I've had times where switching roms and stuff i lose important contacts and it sucks.

You're not going to get this answer from many people, but the best, most stable firmware in terms of integration is the stock, up-to-date firmware (all OTA updates installed). There were issues when the Hero first received 2.1, but that was almost a year ago. They have released several OTA updates since then, and as far as I know they ironed out any major outstanding issues.

Sure, it's not the latest and greatest, but it's stable. And HTC Sense does have good integration features. I switch back to it from time to time, and the only thing that really disappoints me about it is not being able to download the latest versions of every app due to API differences. But all intended features work as designed, including making phone calls. And there are Sense features that still haven't made their way into other ROM images or apps.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone