Rooted Pixel 3 XL frequently freezes on Android 11

Search This thread

walle4893

Oct 30, 2011
London
I had enough with it too so caved and factory reset , re rooted and back to where I was.
1 day, so far no glitches! And it does seem smoother and less battery drain .

Do you have systemless host module enabled? I've never had luck with this module so far without systemUI crashing / phone freezeing every hour

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
Do you have systemless host module enabled? I've never had luck with this module so far without systemUI crashing / phone freezeing every hour

So there is actually an issue filed over at Magisk GH for this:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3171

I'm experiencing issues as well, though not sure if they are directly related.
I did clean wipe from factory image and rooted with Magisk canary. In the last 18 hours I have had 3 lockups on the phone where the screen just freezes. Sometimes I get haptic feedback when pressing buttons, but nothing on the screen changes.

First time - I had just rebooted and logged in with PIN. I pulled down the notifications shade to access settings and it froze with the shade pulled down half way. Stayed like that for at least 5 minutes until I had to reboot.

Second time - I was restoring some app settings with Titanium backup and while it was running I switched to another app. Locked up again. I thought maybe it was just being taxed because TiBu was running, but I let it sit for like an hour...had to hard reboot.

Was using this morning, put phone down..picked it up about 30 mins later and swiped to unlock. It froze on the swipe up screen for at least 3 minutes...had to reboot.

Note - that #3 happened after I installed Kiri kernel this morning (but not immediately after, an hour or two).

So for me it doesn't just seem to happen on boot. I'm not sure how long I want to try and debug, maybe I'll go through today and if it locks up once more I disable systemless hosts and try for another day just to know for sure. If I can't use systemless hosts, I'm back to 10.

Golf c

Jan 4, 2015
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I missed my alarm for the first time in 10 years cause of this crap. Seems to be systemless hosts for sure. Lucky my girlfriend's alarm went off 5 minutes later

Spl1tz

Sep 13, 2011
Realme GT Neo 2
I got it fixed this way:

- Upgraded to the latest Android 11
- Removed Adaway (was on v4) and Systemless Host
- Rooted
- Installed Adaway 5.9 and Systemless Host

No more freezes
Upgrading Android is probably optional. I didn't mean to try to fix it at all, but figured why not attempt it since I'm gonna upgrade Android anyway.
I hope this works for you guys
cheers

walle4893

Oct 30, 2011
London
I got it fixed this way:

- Rooted

No more freezes
Upgrading Android is probably optional. I didn't mean to try to fix it at all, but figured why not attempt it since I'm gonna upgrade Android anyway.
cheers
Can you share the link where you got 5.9? I'd like to try this as well, I was also on 4.3.6 downloaded from F-Droid, they only post the stable version here I believe

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
I got it fixed this way:

- Rooted

No more freezes
cheers

This is unlikely. I'm pretty sure over at the GitHub issue they state that they didn't even need AdAway installed. Having systemless hosts enabled was enough to cause the issue.
For me, I had about 5-6 freezes in 24 hours since I did a clean wipe and install of 11. Last night I disabled systemless hosts and so far I have had no issue.

Also, the latest version is 4.3.6:
https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/releases/tag/v4.3.6

So - honestly, I can't believe a word of that post.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Factory reset fixed my 4 days go. Systemless hosts and adaway 4.3.6 have been enabled whole time without any more freeze

Don't doubt your experience, but I've had the issue since I did a 100% wipe and install of image (not just a factory reset). So far, after 24 hours of freezes, I disabled systemless hosts and since 11pm last night I haven't seen an issue.

I can't conclusively say that systemless hosts is what has done it to me either. I am going to run without it for the rest of the day, and enable it again tonight and see if I have the issues.

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This is unlikely. I'm pretty sure over at the GitHub issue they state that they didn't even need AdAway installed. Having systemless hosts enabled was enough to cause the issue.
For me, I had about 5-6 freezes in 24 hours since I did a clean wipe and install of 11. Last night I disabled systemless hosts and so far I have had no issue.

Also, the latest version is 4.3.6:
https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/releases/tag/v4.3.6

So - honestly, I can't believe a word of that post.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Don't doubt your experience, but I've had the issue since I did a 100% wipe and install of image (not just a factory reset). So far, after 24 hours of freezes, I disabled systemless hosts and since 11pm last night I haven't seen an issue.

I can't conclusively say that systemless hosts is what has done it to me either. I am going to run without it for the rest of the day, and enable it again tonight and see if I have the issues.
Magisk 21 beta?

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL

Yes on the latest Beta and the beta Kiri kernel. I will say that I haven't had any issue after re-enabling systemless hosts this morning, I've been ok today.
I did install AdAway, so it could be the combination of the two - but it was previously reported that systemless hosts was causing the problem on its own.
I need to let it sit a few more days and see what happens.

EDIT: Couple hours later and phone is totally frozen on lock screen. I can toggle screen on and off, but can't unlock with fingerprint or swipe. Will run until one more freeze then disable systemless hosts again and see if stable once more.

Last edited:

kartikb

Jun 30, 2010
Auckland
Yes on the latest Beta and the beta Kiri kernel. I will say that I haven't had any issue after re-enabling systemless hosts this morning, I've been ok today.
I did install AdAway, so it could be the combination of the two - but it was previously reported that systemless hosts was causing the problem on its own.
I need to let it sit a few more days and see what happens.

EDIT: Couple hours later and phone is totally frozen on lock screen. I can toggle screen on and off, but can't unlock with fingerprint or swipe. Will run until one more freeze then disable systemless hosts again and see if stable once more.

I have uninstalled systemless hosts and haven't had any freezing since, as soon as I installed it, the issue came back even with latest adaway. I was using ElementalX kernel but I have tried kiri and same issue.

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
I have uninstalled systemless hosts and haven't had any freezing since, as soon as I installed it, the issue came back even with latest adaway. I was using ElementalX kernel but I have tried kiri and same issue.

I'm working on a theory based on my own results (which so far have showed issues with SH enabled) that it isn't SH but rather the host entries themselves.
Can you enable SH and check your /etc/hosts file and see if the block list entries are in there? If so, install AdAway, and disable the blocking so that your hosts file should be empty (apart from localhost). Then, keep both AdAway and SH installed.

I have been running in this mode since last night and haven't had a freeze yet, despite having 2-3 freezes in 2 hours last night with just SH enabled (AdAway was uninstalled, but host entries remained).

kartikb

Jun 30, 2010
Auckland
I'm working on a theory based on my own results (which so far have showed issues with SH enabled) that it isn't SH but rather the host entries themselves.
Can you enable SH and check your /etc/hosts file and see if the block list entries are in there? If so, install AdAway, and disable the blocking so that your hosts file should be empty (apart from localhost). Then, keep both AdAway and SH installed.

I have been running in this mode since last night and haven't had a freeze yet, despite having 2-3 freezes in 2 hours last night with just SH enabled (AdAway was uninstalled, but host entries remained).

Hi, just with systemless hosts my phone did go through freezing now and then, initially I thought it was custom kernel but after going through this thread and removing systemless hosts module, I haven't had a glitch whilst having custom kernel installed. On my PIxel 4 XL, having systemless host installed hasn't caused any issues whatsoever.

kenfly

Dec 22, 2009
I just got a 3xl and updated to 11. Should I wait to root it until the freezing issue is fixed?

kartikb

Jun 30, 2010
Auckland
I just got a 3xl and updated to 11. Should I wait to root it until the freezing issue is fixed?

Hi, you can root the phone and use it without any issues. you will only start the face issues if you install the system less hosts file via magisk. I had multiple freezing etc and after removing the system less hosts files, I haven't had a single freezing on my 3 XL.

DOMF

Mar 22, 2013
Has anyone provided a logcat?
https://bpa.st/ZL3A
This is just now, screen won't turn on but totally responsive to adb. I'm rooted w/ systemless hosts, beta kiri kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've updated to Android 11 a few days ago and since then my phone freezes multiple times a day. The screen is still partially usable and I can invoke the restart menu with long power button press but it doesn't do it. I always have to use the very long power button press to reset it.
    I'm using Nova Launcher, but it also froze with the stock Google launcher. I did the update with the factory image and used Magisk Canary to unlock.
    I'm pretty puzzled what's going and can't find anything on the internet, except mentions of that on earlier Android 11 versions.
    Does someone have similar experiences or tips how to fix this?
    This started happening to me recently and only when charging. Removing systemless hosts seemed to make it better for a couple of days. It literally just locked up on me and the phone was just sitting there, not charging.

Is there a guide to installing custom kernels? Its been a while since I had a rooted phone (last one was a Galaxy S5 if that tells you how long...). Mine is the 3aXL but I assume the process is the same..
    For me, the easiest way is using EX Kernel Manager to flash the ElementalX kernel. I'm running the March A11 update with Magisk Canary using Systemless hosts, Active Edge, and Universal Safety net fix modules. No freezes.
    [/COLOR]After disabling all Magisk modules, it worked fine and booted. I'll report back if I have issues again. Maybe it's a module causing it. I had Viper, systemless Host and WiFi Bonding. Not sure if one of these was causing it.

Sent from my SM-N976U 5G using XDA-Developers Legacy app[/QUOTE]

Seems there is an issue with the Systemless Host module and that's the only module I have enabled. There are several posts in the XDA Adaway thread that point to it. It's been reported on GitHub and in the Magisk thread, too.
    With AdAway 5.09 I only had one freeze yesterday. I have since disabled Systemless Hosts and no freezes so far.

I'm on adaway v4, deleted systemless hosts, install my modules, reboot, install systemless hosts, reboot AND no more problems for me. Hope it works for you if you need adaway.
    Have latest magisk canary installed, no systemless module. AdAway is installed but not enabled. Still getting the occasional freeze.