Question Rooted Pixel 6 on Verizon

Search This thread

aurny

Mar 18, 2016
My Pixel 6 hasn't arrived yet but hopefully soon. I'm getting the unlocked version and I'm a Verizon customer. My plan is to root the phone and stay on the Google builds. I don't plan to install the Verizon build. I don't want anything from Verizon except the SIM card (which I already have and plan to transfer from my previous phone).

I've heard some reports of this not working though, of intermittent or no connectivity from Verizon. Some people on other forums report that they need to go to a store for a SIM swap, or switch to eSIM, but even that only works for a while and then it drops again.

Does anyone here have more info? Is this expected to work or does Verizon have a way to force you to use their builds?

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
My Pixel 6 hasn't arrived yet but hopefully soon. I'm getting the unlocked version and I'm a Verizon customer. My plan is to root the phone and stay on the Google builds. I don't plan to install the Verizon build. I don't want anything from Verizon except the SIM card (which I already have and plan to transfer from my previous phone).

I've heard some reports of this not working though, of intermittent or no connectivity from Verizon. Some people on other forums report that they need to go to a store for a SIM swap, or switch to eSIM, but even that only works for a while and then it drops again.

Does anyone here have more info? Is this expected to work or does Verizon have a way to force you to use their builds?
I have the Google store version of the pro 6, on Verizon, and using Google build. I have on all of my Pixel phones.

Reactions: GillaxGurilla

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro

First, they are not built by Verizon they are built by Google with different modem/network items for Verizon. That is the only difference, no extra apps or anything like that. As soon as you put a VZ SIM in it you will pull the My Verizon app no matter what firmware you are using. You can uninstall it. The updates all come from Google, not the carrier.

Go to the Google factory image download page and look at the Pixel 5 downloads. You will see in March of 2021 there was only one image for everything and it was that way for months. Then this fall they split apart. This is very common, Google splits them for awhile then merges them.

The VZ version will not lock your phone, add any bloatware or anything like that. But might give you a better signal.

What you want to do will work but isn't needed and probably not the best way to do it.

Reactions: GillaxGurilla

aurny

Mar 18, 2016
The VZ version will not lock your phone, add any bloatware or anything like that.

Thanks... one concern is that I'm coming from a Samsung and on this phone, Verizon forces OTAs. You can delay when the update happens but only briefly. This is a VZW phone, not unlocked, but I figured the VZW firmware is pushing the updates.

Updating requires re-rooting so I'd prefer to do it on my schedule, not Verizon's. Do you know if this is going to be an issue with the Pixel?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
First, they are not built by Verizon they are built by Google with different modem/network items for Verizon. That is the only difference, no extra apps or anything like that. As soon as you put a VZ SIM in it you will pull the My Verizon app no matter what firmware you are using. You can uninstall it. The updates all come from Google, not the carrier.

Go to the Google factory image download page and look at the Pixel 5 downloads. You will see in March of 2021 there was only one image for everything and it was that way for months. Then this fall they split apart. This is very common, Google splits them for awhile then merges them.

The VZ version will not lock your phone, add any bloatware or anything like that. But might give you a better signal.

What you want to do will work but isn't needed and probably not the best way to do it.
One further thing Verizon puts on. Under "all apps" - show system - scroll down for the "my verizon services" app. You can't delete it you can only stop and disable it. It does get reenabled on some schedule, perhaps on the monthly updates, so every once in a while you need to redo the disable thing. What it does it allows Verizon to get into your phone and see all the apps you have installed and when you installed them. Also how long your system has been running, whether or not you factory reset etc. Very intrusive, imo, so I always disable it first thing and check it regularly.

loony_tuna

Sep 12, 2017
Hey folks, if anyone has access to system directory of Android 12, could you upload Google Sans fonts here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qglwf3
These instructions worked perfectly to get esim working.

I'm using the Verizon firmware on the unlocked model. Wifi calling works and all.

I didn't get the QR code but the Reddit thread has a link for one on step 7. And my account was already CDMAless because of using a 1+ 7 Pro prior.

It took about 5-10 minutes after doing everything before I could make calls and send texts.

Idk if wifi calling works on unlocked firmware but it's enabled by a Verizon specific system app, com.verizon.mips.services

Edit. Idk why the link has a screenshot preview.

Last edited:

Sunsparc

Jan 3, 2011
Mine didn't require any special provisioning. Running Google version of firmware. Unlocked bootloader, rooted, then inserted SIM from previous 2 XL.

Reactions: aurny

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Google Pixel 6

Well I'm not quite an identical situation but I'm using visible. And from what I've seen from Sears, we encounter the exact same problems as it's the same parent company. It worked instantly out of the box as soon as I pop my SIM card in on my unlocked Pixel (Global) 6 Pro. No issues at all.

However, as you're probably well aware, test builds with other games don't work. Oxygen OS 12 beta 1/2 for example, would not work with visible or Verizon Even when I put in the correct commonly unknown APN settings (There's actually four of them).

trai_th

Jan 18, 2014
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
how did you root it?
i used boot.img extract from Pixel image file and patched it on my poco x3. I don't know why i can't do it on P6 but i got te pached file then copy it to P6. then followed up the link i provided above until i got to the flashing vbmeta, using a command from that link. After i got it then i fastboot boot magisk_patched then boot into my phone. After then go to Magisk Manager, at first i have no "Direct install" so i tried to flash it in fastboot mode again. then i hot it. once i turn on the phone, the direct install was thete then i used that method to permanently rooted. hope it helps.

I just recently paid of my Verizon Pixel 4 XL and called Verizon to see if they could unlock the bootloader. After about an hour and speaking with Tier 2 tech support, I was informed that the bootloader is locked forever and was recommended to buy directly from Google if you need to unlock the bootloader.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I just recently paid of my Verizon Pixel 4 XL and called Verizon to see if they could unlock the bootloader. After about an hour and speaking with Tier 2 tech support, I was informed that the bootloader is locked forever and was recommended to buy directly from Google if you need to unlock the bootloader.
You could have come here and been told the same thing in under a minute and saved yourself the time and effort. It's common knowledge since Pixel 3. Hopefully your information will help someone else out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qglwf3
    These instructions worked perfectly to get esim working.

I'm using the Verizon firmware on the unlocked model. Wifi calling works and all.

I didn't get the QR code but the Reddit thread has a link for one on step 7. And my account was already CDMAless because of using a 1+ 7 Pro prior.

It took about 5-10 minutes after doing everything before I could make calls and send texts.

Idk if wifi calling works on unlocked firmware but it's enabled by a Verizon specific system app, com.verizon.mips.services

Edit. Idk why the link has a screenshot preview.

I have the Google store version of the pro 6, on Verizon, and using Google build. I have on all of my Pixel phones.

Mine didn't require any special provisioning. Running Google version of firmware. Unlocked bootloader, rooted, then inserted SIM from previous 2 XL.
    Awesome, @TotallyAnxious and @Sunsparc, thank you both.