[ROOTED] Rooting An Acer Iconia A100

Search This thread

linuxman008

Apr 9, 2011
Anyone know how to root the A200??? I picked up one yesterday but I cant find the tools to root it.

Sadly, thats a different device then the a100 (U.S. wifi model) or the a101 (Europe 3G model) so you'll have to find some people looking for a method to root that device. Its got Ice Cream Sandwich (I think) and since the Galaxy Nexus and the Transformer Prime are the only other ICS devices out right now, and the Galaxy Nexus was meant to be rooted, and the Prime exploit is to keep it rooted back in honeycomb and keep it after the OTA, I think no one has discovered exploits for ICS already loaded on a locked bootloader device. It'll take some good dev's to crack that device.

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
I havnt been able to root my A100, having the 2007.04_Gen1 update, and tried various methods listed here and on other boards. Its been a pain trying to root my device.

Joecascio2000

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Google Pixel 6
I havnt been able to root my A100, having the 2007.04_Gen1 update, and tried various methods listed here and on other boards. Its been a pain trying to root my device.

Thats the same version I have and I'm rooted perfectly. Click the [ROOTED] link in my sig and follow those instructions. They should work.

*su is suppose to be on the ROOT of the sd card (The internal one)

*copy and paste each line and hit enter in between lines.

niabi

May 3, 2008
Just got my A100, happy with it but really bummed It doesn't have USB host ;( I didn't pay attention to that since I thought it would have since A500 does have it :(

anyways mine came with
V3.2.1
Kernel 2.6.36.3
Build Acer_A100_2.007.02_COM_GEN2

and it was really easy to root following this guide, thanks!

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
I tried using the link in ur sig with the same results as every other method. Ive even gone as far as removing the directory and doing the whole thing over. Nothing.

Joecascio2000

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Google Pixel 6
I tried using the link in ur sig with the same results as every other method. Ive even gone as far as removing the directory and doing the whole thing over. Nothing.

Removing what directory?? I can't think of anything that prevents it from being rooted other than user error. You could always backtrack to 2007.01. And try and ROOT that. That should work and just not update to 2007.04.

I would try again though. It's always worked. And like I said I'm on the same build and rooted using that method.

Are you putting the su file in the right place? (Not the folder- you have to extract it and put ONLY the su file on the internal sd)

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
I removed system/xbin/su and started over again with the same results... Very frustrating because I delete the su directory and double check its gone, and it was, then redownloaded the su from here after deleting everything on my tab, made sure the su binary was on the root of internal sd, and did all over again, no root.

niabi

May 3, 2008
I removed system/xbin/su and started over again with the same results... Very frustrating because I delete the su directory and double check its gone, and it was, then redownloaded the su from here after deleting everything on my tab, made sure the su binary was on the root of internal sd, and did all over again, no root.

If I am reading correctly, su should NOT be a directory, su is the binary extracted from the zip file, also if you are using the terminal emulator, try using the ADB method, I could not get it to work with the emulator, but worked really easy with ADB :)

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
If I am reading correctly, su should NOT be a directory, su is the binary extracted from the zip file, also if you are using the terminal emulator, try using the ADB method, I could not get it to work with the emulator, but worked really easy with ADB :)

Sry, it was the binary file that I had deleted, my bad. But Can you link me the adb method?

MegaDragonMan

Nov 24, 2011
I've found the easiest way to get root is by doing the following:

From your a100's browser download the copy of su below:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip

Next, use a file manager (like astra or similar) to extract the su file and copy it to the root of your external sdcard. (/mnt/sdcard)

Install a terminal emulator from the market.

Open the terminal emulator and copy / paste the following into it:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

ls /system/xbin/su

If the last command says something about no such file, you've done something wrong. Check to see that the su file itself is in /mnt/sdcard (you can type this in the terminal emulator to check:

ls /mnt/sdcard/su

if that comes back no such file.. then you didn't copy the su file to the right place.

If the last command shows /system/xbin/su then you're all set, install superuser.apk from the market. Install titanium backup and see if it prompts for superuser wheb you launch it. If that works install busybox.

Hope this helps!

The su copy commands are thanks to sc2k and sabliss also of XDA. Good luck!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
Worked perfectly for me.

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
Ive tried that method, and doesnt work for me. Im at a loss as to whats holding this back on my device...

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011
For anyone that is having trouble rooting, make sure when you open terminal emulator that you copy and paste each of the commands seperately [one at a time], and press enter after each one. I have heard of several people in other forums trying to copy all of the commands at one. This may not be your problem, I just thought I would mention it in case someone might be having trouble. Good luck!

ptesmoke

Sep 23, 2008
Cold Lake
For anyone that is having trouble rooting, make sure when you open terminal emulator that you copy and paste each of the commands seperately [one at a time], and press enter after each one. I have heard of several people in other forums trying to copy all of the commands at one. This may not be your problem, I just thought I would mention it in case someone might be having trouble. Good luck!

and to add to that download superuser from market once your done with the terminal...then open superuser and update the binary with the app...knce updated youll be rooted. some ppl have had no root with the old binary on the 3.2.1 update. lemme say this again....update superuser binary after running the commands!

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
Which isn't particularly helpful when, on the A101, those commands fail to actually work. No su copied into xbin. :(

dwiki

Jan 21, 2009
I think Iconia 101 is quite different from A100. I haven't found any rooting method that work for Acer Iconia A101. FYI I bought my Iconia in December 2011.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The A100 ships with acer/vg_gen2/vangogh:3.2/HTJ85B/1311401634:user/release-keys . Its copy of /system/bin/vold includes a fix for GingerBreak, so that exploit won't work.

I also tried the iconiaroot-1.3.apk but it did not work either. Logcat says 'E/CMD_SERVER( 102): cmd_server: invalid argument !'. They apparently "fixed" the bug by scanning the input command for semicolons. But you can still use backticks to inject commands!

So until sc2k releases a new iconiaroot-1.4.apk, this should work:

Steps to get root (LINUX VERSION):
    0. put your favorite su binary in /mnt/sdcard/su
    1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`'
    2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`'
    3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su\`'

Steps to get root (WINDOWS VERSION, just the same minus the backslashes):
    0. put your favorite su binary in /mnt/sdcard/su
    1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
    2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
    3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Note that this just gives you a working "su". Installing SuperUser.apk or whatever frontend you like is left as an exercise to the reader.
    I've found the easiest way to get root is by doing the following:

From your a100's browser download the copy of su below:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip

Next, use a file manager (like astra or similar) to extract the su file and copy it to the root of your external sdcard. (/mnt/sdcard)

Install a terminal emulator from the market.

Open the terminal emulator and copy / paste the following into it:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

ls /system/xbin/su

If the last command says something about no such file, you've done something wrong. Check to see that the su file itself is in /mnt/sdcard (you can type this in the terminal emulator to check:

ls /mnt/sdcard/su

if that comes back no such file.. then you didn't copy the su file to the right place.

If the last command shows /system/xbin/su then you're all set, install superuser.apk from the market. Install titanium backup and see if it prompts for superuser wheb you launch it. If that works install busybox.

Hope this helps!

The su copy commands are thanks to sc2k and sabliss also of XDA. Good luck!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    First of all, I'm new to this community :)

Second of all, I've asked Devs from other communities if they could lend us a hand and a couple of them have agreed. I will try working with them in an attempt to contribute something to this community. Just be patient, as it may take some time tho.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    I picked up a $189 Acer Iconia A100 on Black Friday from Best Buy and wanted to root it moments after I got home with it. I found a site that offered the instructions with kudo's to XDA at the bottom of the article. I came here imediately and searched for the root procedure. I found some complex stuff using ADB which is fine (I used ADB to root my phone last year) but I wanted something a bit quicker and easier so Google brought me to: http://dcarico.com/articles/android-apps/1016-acer-iconia-a100-root-instructions.html

I can confirm that I did this without ADB or a Laptop/desktop computer. He uses ES File Explorer and Android Terminal Emulator.
    Basically, you'll need to download the su.zip he provides in the article, unzip the su.zip into the /mnt/sdcard directory, copy and paste 3 lines into the Terminal Emulator and then you are good to go. I downloaded Superuser from the Android Market and installed and I also installed busybox, Titanium Backup, etc. I hope this helps any of you new Acer Iconia A100 users. :D

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

How do I get the superuser binary onto the root of the internal sd card?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Download it to the device from whatever website you found it on and the use a file manager Like ES File Manager to extract the zip to the directory you want.
    I will probably release a new version of iconiaroot tonight.