[ROOTED] Rooting An Acer Iconia A100

Search This thread

MegaDragonMan

Nov 24, 2011
mnt/sdcard ISN'T the external SD. The external SD is external_sd. So, don't copy the su binary into the external SD, but into mnt/sdcard.

samco08

Jan 24, 2009
I've found the easiest way to get root is by doing the following:

From your a100's browser download the copy of su below:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip

Next, use a file manager (like astra or similar) to extract the su file and copy it to the root of your external sdcard. (/mnt/sdcard)

Install a terminal emulator from the market.

Open the terminal emulator and copy / paste the following into it:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

ls /system/xbin/su

If the last command says something about no such file, you've done something wrong. Check to see that the su file itself is in /mnt/sdcard (you can type this in the terminal emulator to check:

ls /mnt/sdcard/su

if that comes back no such file.. then you didn't copy the su file to the right place.

If the last command shows /system/xbin/su then you're all set, install superuser.apk from the market. Install titanium backup and see if it prompts for superuser wheb you launch it. If that works install busybox.

Hope this helps!

The su copy commands are thanks to sc2k and sabliss also of XDA. Good luck!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

worked fine for me on my A100 3.2 :D

thk !!!!

djeaton

Mar 13, 2011
Canton, GA
www.amazon.com

Next, use a file manager (like astra or similar) to extract the su file and copy it to the root of your external sdcard. (/mnt/sdcard)

ls /system/xbin/su

If the last command says something about no such file, you've done something wrong. Check to see that the su file itself is in /mnt/sdcard (you can type this in the terminal emulator to check:

ls /mnt/sdcard/su

if that comes back no such file.. then you didn't copy the su file to the right place.

If the last command shows /system/xbin/su then you're all set, install superuser.apk from the market. Install titanium backup and see if it prompts for superuser wheb you launch it. If that works install busybox.

Hope this helps!

I followed all these instructions carefully. You made it super easy, so it was hard to mess up. LOL Unfortunately though, it didn't work. I get the "/system/xbin/su" on the last step, installed and launched SuperUser, which launched fine, and then Titanium Backup, and get an error that root access failed. BusyBox also tells me the installer was not allowed root access. It says to open SuperUser and make sure it is allowing root access, but doesn't say how to do that. SuperUser shows "no apps in list" and a clear log and if there is a way to add apps with SuperUser access, I don't see it.

I am on an A100 running 3.2.1 with kernel version 2.6.36.3 and build number Acer_A100_2.007.02_COM_GEN2

What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: Never mind. I copied the SU folders into the root directory and not the SU file itself. Works fine now! :) I figured I'd post my mistake in case it helped others though.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoSudo

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Is there any way to root build Acer_a100_2.007.04_EMEA_GB

Have you tried this version? If it didn't work for you you could try the other method. It works on some ICS builds even.

Originally Posted By: ZeroNull (Edited to reflect how it might be done on an A100 by me)

Plan get "root" for Acer ICONIA TAB A100

1 Touch file "/data/local.prop" and put variable "ro.kernel.qemu=1":
Code:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop`'

2. Execute "adb tools" for Windows with this command:
Code:

adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb shell "chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su"

3. Off variable "ro.kernel.qemu=1":
Code:

adb shell "echo '#' >/data/local.prop"

4. Install app
BusyBox
SuperUser APK
Titanium Backup
5. Reboot device
This is work. It is checked up time and again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A10x_rooting.zip - [Click for QR Code] (338.5 KB, 8 views)
Last edited by ZeroNull; 7th February 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: The short plan

The Original Posts can be found Here: A101/A100 Also here A101. I would try this method first if you have an A100. If you are sure you have done it correctly and still cant get root. I would give this local.prop file touch method and see if it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: lesa0208

lesa0208

Inactive Recognized Themer
Feb 25, 2010
Beograd, Uzice
Have you tried this version? If it didn't work for you you could try the other method. It works on some ICS builds even.

The Original Posts can be found Here: A101/A100 Also here A101. I would try this method first if you have an A100. If you are sure you have done it correctly and still cant get root. I would give this local.prop file touch method and see if it works.

yes and it's working for me ;)

6stringandy

Feb 9, 2011
Macon, GA
Finally took the plunge and rooted my tab. Superuser tells me my su binary is outdated, will I loose root if I let it be updated?

EDIT: lol nevermind, it doesn't update anything, still get the outdated message after selecting "update" from within superuser app.

ummmmm............ could you repeat that?

Last edited:

maek_it_happen

Sep 2, 2009
Should this work for build acer_a100_2.007.04_com_gen1
Hc version 3.2.1
Kernel 2.6.36.3

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D with Beats Audio X515m using XDA App

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Finally took the plunge and rooted my tab. Superuser tells me my su binary is outdated, will I loose root if I let it be updated?

EDIT: lol nevermind, it doesn't update anything, still get the outdated message after selecting "update" from within superuser app.

It should be able to upgrade your su. IIRC the messages about the upgrade isnt as clear as it could be. I would be careful before you rerun anything. You can see what version of "su" you are running in a terminal. To check just type "su --version". Mine reports 3.0.3.2 which I believe is the latest. I made a backup of the updated "su" binary for future use.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Should this work for build acer_a100_2.007.04_com_gen1
Hc version 3.2.1
Kernel 2.6.36.3

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D with Beats Audio X515m using XDA App

Yes so far all A100 can be rooted. Even the A101 can be rooted now. If this method fails to get you rooted then try a variation of the method being used on the A101 and some ICS devices.

Originally Posted By: ZeroNull (Edited to reflect how it might be done on an A100 by me)

Plan get "root" for Acer ICONIA TAB A100

1 Touch file "/data/local.prop" and put variable "ro.kernel.qemu=1":
Code:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop`'

2. Execute "adb tools" for Windows with this command:
Code:

adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb shell "chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su"

3. Off variable "ro.kernel.qemu=1":
Code:

adb shell "echo '#' >/data/local.prop"

4. Install app
BusyBox
SuperUser APK
Titanium Backup
5. Reboot device
This is work. It is checked up time and again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A10x_rooting.zip - [Click for QR Code] (338.5 KB, 8 views)
Last edited by ZeroNull; 7th February 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: The short plan

The Original Posts can be found Here: A101/A100 Also here A101. I would try this method first if you have an A100. If you are sure you have done it correctly and still cant get root. I would give this local.prop file touch method and see if it works. Others have reported this working on acer_a100_2.007.04_com_gen1

6stringandy

Feb 9, 2011
Macon, GA
Weird that it was telling me its outdated, but I have the current version and not getting the outdated message anymore.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Weird that it was telling me its outdated, but I have the current version and not getting the outdated message anymore.

Well It sounds like it was just informing you that the su you used was older. But it also sounds like it was able to update your su to the latest. You can verify what version of su you have installed by typing "su --version" in a terminal. This will cause the su command to print its version information. If you have the latest version installed now when you type "su --version" it will come back with 3.0.3.2.

Reactions: 6stringandy

6stringandy

Feb 9, 2011
Macon, GA
Well It sounds like it was just informing you that the su you used was older. But it also sounds like it was able to update your su to the latest. You can verify what version of su you have installed by typing "su --version" in a terminal. This will cause the su command to print its version information. If you have the latest version installed now when you type "su --version" it will come back with 3.0.3.2.

Yea, that's what it reported back. And nevermind the last thing you see on my posts, its just my signature meant to be funny. You don't really have to repeat anything, if that's what you were doing :)

onuris

Mar 10, 2009
Hi there. Total newbie here :D
Just got my A100 a week ago and I whanna root it to install Sixaxis Controler (I know there much more to do but hey! I'm a gammer).

I have an x10mini pro for a while and I rooted it using SOK. Also use xRecovery a lot (I was wondering if its installable on the A100?).

So the thing is, as you might see, I'm used to the GUIs tools, so, I'm not really sure on where to run those sentences.

I installed the Android SDK and got a copy of Eclipse on my PC, now what?

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Hi there. Total newbie here :D
Just got my A100 a week ago and I whanna root it to install Sixaxis Controler (I know there much more to do but hey! I'm a gammer).

I have an x10mini pro for a while and I rooted it using SOK. Also use xRecovery a lot (I was wondering if its installable on the A100?).

So the thing is, as you might see, I'm used to the GUIs tools, so, I'm not really sure on where to run those sentences.

I installed the Android SDK and got a copy of Eclipse on my PC, now what?

Well I think some scripts are around to make it a little easier as far as typing in commands and such goes. You will want to install a Terminal Emulator It will give you a shell prompt to run scripts and enter commands.;)

You will want to figure out which version of Android you have then read up and carefully apply the recommended modifications to root and change the device. Be careful you can break the device doing some of the stuff here incorrectly.

If you only wish to root it and install the software it may be fairly simple at least until it gets upgraded to ICS then it's a bit more evolved. Good luck and let us all know how it goes

peoples_flip

Apr 24, 2011
Toronto
Super easy, 10 second root... Need a gunea pig that doesnt have root already to try this...

Install terminal emulator and a file browser from the market (astro file browser works really well)

Download the attached root.sh.zip file and extract its contents to /mnt/sdcard
Open terminal emulator and copy / paste the following into it:

/mnt/sdcard/root.sh

Sit back and wait and in about 10 seconds you should be rooted. Once its done download the superuser app from the market and be sure to open it, install busybox and whatever else afterward, just be sure to open that superuser app at least once before you do!

Doesn't work -- permission denied

Sent from my A100 using xda premium

onuris

Mar 10, 2009
Well I think some scripts are around to make it a little easier as far as typing in commands and such goes. You will want to install a Terminal Emulator It will give you a shell prompt to run scripts and enter commands.;)

You will want to figure out which version of Android you have then read up and carefully apply the recommended modifications to root and change the device. Be careful you can break the device doing some of the stuff here incorrectly.

If you only wish to root it and install the software it may be fairly simple at least until it gets upgraded to ICS then it's a bit more evolved. Good luck and let us all know how it goes
Just Installed Terminal Emulator with no issues. Now, what should I type? Windows or Linux version?

onuris

Mar 10, 2009
The A100 ships with acer/vg_gen2/vangogh:3.2/HTJ85B/1311401634:user/release-keys . Its copy of /system/bin/vold includes a fix for GingerBreak, so that exploit won't work.

I also tried the iconiaroot-1.3.apk but it did not work either. Logcat says 'E/CMD_SERVER( 102): cmd_server: invalid argument !'. They apparently "fixed" the bug by scanning the input command for semicolons. But you can still use backticks to inject commands!

So until sc2k releases a new iconiaroot-1.4.apk, this should work:

Steps to get root (LINUX VERSION):
0. put your favorite su binary in /mnt/sdcard/su
1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`'
2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`'
3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su\`'

Steps to get root (WINDOWS VERSION, just the same minus the backslashes):
1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Note that this just gives you a working "su". Installing SuperUser.apk or whatever frontend you like is left as an exercise to the reader.
Hi,
Me again :D
As I told before, I already installed the Terminal Emulator.
Now when you say "0. put your favorite su binary in /mnt/sdcard/su" what binary are you actually talking about?
Can you provide a link for a recommended binary? :p

I'm trying to get this working and not be so annoying :p

onuris

Mar 10, 2009

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The A100 ships with acer/vg_gen2/vangogh:3.2/HTJ85B/1311401634:user/release-keys . Its copy of /system/bin/vold includes a fix for GingerBreak, so that exploit won't work.

I also tried the iconiaroot-1.3.apk but it did not work either. Logcat says 'E/CMD_SERVER( 102): cmd_server: invalid argument !'. They apparently "fixed" the bug by scanning the input command for semicolons. But you can still use backticks to inject commands!

So until sc2k releases a new iconiaroot-1.4.apk, this should work:

Steps to get root (LINUX VERSION):
    1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`'
    2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`'
    3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su\`'

Steps to get root (WINDOWS VERSION, just the same minus the backslashes):
    1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
    2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
    3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Note that this just gives you a working "su". Installing SuperUser.apk or whatever frontend you like is left as an exercise to the reader.
    I've found the easiest way to get root is by doing the following:

ls /system/xbin/su

ls /mnt/sdcard/su

Hope this helps!

First of all, I'm new to this community :)

Second of all, I've asked Devs from other communities if they could lend us a hand and a couple of them have agreed. I will try working with them in an attempt to contribute something to this community. Just be patient, as it may take some time tho.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    I picked up a $189 Acer Iconia A100 on Black Friday from Best Buy and wanted to root it moments after I got home with it. I found a site that offered the instructions with kudo's to XDA at the bottom of the article. I came here imediately and searched for the root procedure. I found some complex stuff using ADB which is fine (I used ADB to root my phone last year) but I wanted something a bit quicker and easier so Google brought me to: http://dcarico.com/articles/android-apps/1016-acer-iconia-a100-root-instructions.html

I can confirm that I did this without ADB or a Laptop/desktop computer. He uses ES File Explorer and Android Terminal Emulator.
    Basically, you'll need to download the su.zip he provides in the article, unzip the su.zip into the /mnt/sdcard directory, copy and paste 3 lines into the Terminal Emulator and then you are good to go. I downloaded Superuser from the Android Market and installed and I also installed busybox, Titanium Backup, etc. I hope this helps any of you new Acer Iconia A100 users. :D

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

How do I get the superuser binary onto the root of the internal sd card?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Download it to the device from whatever website you found it on and the use a file manager Like ES File Manager to extract the zip to the directory you want.
    I will probably release a new version of iconiaroot tonight.