• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rooting and getting the latest custom ROM for Transformer TF300T?

Search This thread

TechieSophie

Jul 24, 2020
I just pulled this device out of a closet where it's been stored for the past four years or so. Still boots up to the latest JB 4.2.1. Hardware still looks almost new and seems a waste to just get rid of it. If possible, I'd like to bring it up to the latest Adroid OS that the hardware can handle, and use it in the kitchen to look at cooking videos online (it's bigger and easier to see than my phone, LOL). However the device is still locked, and the Asus Unlock app, according to the Playstore, isn't compatible with my device. (I probably need an older version than what's in the Playstore now). I've rooted Samsung phones before, but never done anything with a tablet. Also it's been a while (last phone I rooted was a Samsung Galaxy S5), so step by step of where I need to go from here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: lihgt2000

figazin

May 2, 2019
I just pulled this device out of a closet where it's been stored for the past four years or so. Still boots up to the latest JB 4.2.1. Hardware still looks almost new and seems a waste to just get rid of it. If possible, I'd like to bring it up to the latest Adroid OS that the hardware can handle, and use it in the kitchen to look at cooking videos online (it's bigger and easier to see than my phone, LOL). However the device is still locked, and the Asus Unlock app, according to the Playstore, isn't compatible with my device. (I probably need an older version than what's in the Playstore now). I've rooted Samsung phones before, but never done anything with a tablet. Also it's been a while (last phone I rooted was a Samsung Galaxy S5), so step by step of where I need to go from here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! You need to download the Unlock App from Asus Support Site.
Go to Asus Support-Product Tablets - Transformers - TF300T - And under Utilities download V8 Unlock App (Use expand all if you don't see it)

Reactions: TechieSophie

TechieSophie

Jul 24, 2020
Go to Asus Support-Product Tablets - Transformers - TF300T - And under Utilities download V8 Unlock App (Use expand all if you don't see it)

I have downloaded the software to my laptop, and will transfer it to the tablet by emailing it to myself, then open the email on the tablet. Thank you so much!

Sophie

figazin

May 2, 2019
After that you'll need an SD to install TWRP and a the custom OS you want to flash (I'm not an expert, just repeating what I've been reading here).

I couldn't get past installing the Unlock App. I always get a "network connection error" and I've been trying to fix that :(

Reactions: lihgt2000

TechieSophie

Jul 24, 2020
After that you'll need an SD to install TWRP and a the custom OS you want to flash (I'm not an expert, just repeating what I've been reading here).

I couldn't get past installing the Unlock App. I always get a "network connection error" and I've been trying to fix that :(

Oh, I think I read something about that issue, and the people had to call Asus to fix it. I suspect maybe they have taken down the server that responds to that connection by now. That would be a drag if I have to call them. But I'll give this a go and see. Thanks again!

lihgt2000

Aug 7, 2020
Oh, I think I read something about that issue, and the people had to call Asus to fix it. I suspect maybe they have taken down the server that responds to that connection by now. That would be a drag if I have to call them. But I'll give this a go and see. Thanks again!

The same question, the customer service said that it can only be sent for repair
look forward to your progress

TechieSophie

Jul 24, 2020
The same question, the customer service said that it can only be sent for repair
look forward to your progress

Well, I'm stuck at trying to get the Unlock App to work too. Keep getting the same error message that everybody else was getting. I've tried getting help from Asus and got stuck in their Knowledge Base loop. Couldn't get a hold of any live person, not even a chat. I have a feeling that's how it is during COVID-19 pandemic. I'm going to put this project on hold for now and revisit it again when Asus has more support staff available.

Thanks again for all the help!

gothiKarts

Mar 28, 2021

TechieSophie, i know how to root Asus Tf300t, you need to use the vroot (chinese) then you need to install Super SU to change the language, that works on me, but still having the problem to unlock the bootloader, im working on that, maybe in a few days i will get it! regards​

JoeCraftsman

Oct 15, 2011
Same here... No luck unlocking the device. Android has latest updates that were available... Ver 4.2.1

I've tried the following...
  • Tried UnLock_Device_App_v7 and v8
  • Tried the above after removing all accounts
  • Tried the above after System restore
  • Registered the Tablet with proper serial number on Asus website and tried again
  • Created a new account and tried again
  • All I get from the unlock tools is the network error everybody gets (I think it's not supported any more) and someone needs to come up with a new utility or custom decipher utility that considers what the Asus website used to feedback to the utility after you supply the serial number. Not sure if this is unique code for every serial number or not?
  • Tried connecting with AsusSync and using RootDebugfs... It sees the Tablet, restarts it and stuff, but long story short it cannot push the files over (denied or whatever)
  • With AsusSync and RootDebugfs I'm not sure if I need or even can root the device which would then give me permission to push files to the root folder?
  • As of yesterday I emailed Asus support, however, I doubt anybody who has emailed about this topic as of recent will get any kind of clear response like "We cannot and will not give unlock support for this device any more" or "If you registered your device our network tool connection will be fixed shortly".
I've searched for updated videos that have been created in the last year or two but there is only a few and in another language :(

If anybody has a more resent successful method step by step it would be appreciated...
such as 1) Root and method 2) Unlock bootloader and method 3) etc. etc.

Thanks, I know a lot of people are trying, reading, and awaiting a successful method for devices that had not been previously unlocked and or rooted in order to upgrade.

I Don´t know if you want to keep the original ASUS system. Or try a new one.

I Guess that ASUS stopped developing the system for TF300T, This is why there is nothing above Android 4.

I've been using KatKiss for about 4 years now on my TF300T, and it is great.
The system is based on Android 7.1.

Early this year I changed the Google pack (Wich is pretty heavy) For the MicroG also. the tablet is running smoothly, but there is no Play Store.

On this thread, there is info on installing KatKiss and MicroG (microG is on the latest messages on the thread)

On this Thread, the Step-by-step to install Katkiss is more accurate.

JoeCraftsman

Oct 15, 2011
There are NO solutions including the tutorial above that's currently working for people who cannot Unlock Bootloader...

September of 2021

Screenshot of where I and others get stuck:

1631032303202.png

This part is a key note:
The year is 2021. Get the same network error that other people are getting while trying to use v7 or v8 of unlock tool. Tried other unlock tools. Tried Rooting. Tried delete user accounts. After using Kingroot / Kingoroot / and other "root" apps tried method of copying the modified DMClent app to replace the stock one... but will not copy new file even after being able to rename the original in the /root directory, Tried creating new user account, Tried factory reset, retried all the above in different orders. Registered on Asus. Tried again, and again. Researched more and tried their links. Tried unlock for other Asus Transformers that people says worked for their TF300T... NOTHING. Still get the network error and cannot unlock Bootloader to proceed.

Here is my reply from Asus:

1631032586434.png

So... Unless I'm wrong, I believe that unless somebody has some NEWER (Last 2 or 3 years?) custom unlock tool that simulates whatever Network response the tool(s) wants to unlock the Asus Transformer TF300T or some Brute Force unlock, or something then myself and everybody else that is stuck at the network error (Last 2 or 3 years?) cannot upgrade this device?

Thank you all... Look forward to some new news or even closure. It would be a shame to toss this nice tablet... I just need to get ANY Android version stock or custom higher than 4.2 because a lot of newer apps are requiring it :(

Last edited:

lebeatnik

Mar 12, 2011
Minneapolis
im in the Same boad, i pulled my old tf300t out to hopefully turn into a kids tablet, the unlock tool is where i run tino problems, i see there is a post titled how to root in 2020 but it says to root with kingo root which i was unable to install, if anyone has the ability to put together a couple steps needed to unlock for the tf300t i would appreciate it or really any help as im lost RN
TYIA

tano-96

May 26, 2021
I found my TF300t and would like to bring it back to life. Can someone send me a detailed guide to be able to use?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.