Rooting E6 (Surfna)

Search This thread

Padraig1

Jun 4, 2021
U

I used the OP's method, have been rooted w/ exposed for nearly a month now, no issues, still have root, exposed and all my root apps. If I have to reboot for any reason, I just reboot to recovery and it boots normally with root. Never lost root, it's certainly not temporary and never lost it either,not sure what why you say that. I only needed to patch recovery so less steps than yours and achieved the same thing.
Here's a tangential question. I have a Moto e6 Surfna XT2005-5 and have tried rooting it multiple times using either the boot image or recovery image and Magisk. No go in every case. Magisk SAYS it is successful and there are no errors but the image produced by Magisk is less than half the size of the original img file, whether boot or recovery. Trying to actually use these smaller img files results in a brick. Why or what is going on with Magisk (23, the latest at this point) that it is only creating an img file that is less than half of the size of the original and always fails, apparently, for that reason? Shouldn't the image produced be the same size or even a little bigger than the original?

gwgw

Mar 8, 2008
HTC Leo
Moto E (2020)
Here's a tangential question. I have a Moto e6 Surfna XT2005-5 and have tried rooting it multiple times using either the boot image or recovery image and Magisk. No go in every case. Magisk SAYS it is successful and there are no errors but the image produced by Magisk is less than half the size of the original img file, whether boot or recovery. Trying to actually use these smaller img files results in a brick. Why or what is going on with Magisk (23, the latest at this point) that it is only creating an img file that is less than half of the size of the original and always fails, apparently, for that reason? Shouldn't the image produced be the same size or even a little bigger than the original?

The size of recovery file made by magisk doesn't matter.
But the version might be.

I had problem until I used LMSA to update the phone, and used the same boot and recovery file to be treated by magisk.

thinkmac

Jul 5, 2013
I have a side question. With the instruction, I can in fact root the device when boot to recovery.
However, I am unable to pass the SafeNet check.
It keeps failing with CTSProfile, and I have been unable to get past that.

MagiskHide Props does not have a known signature for Moto E6.
Universal SafeNet Fix (Riru) doesn't seem to pass the CTSProfile unfortunately. It only forces basic attestation.

VelvetB

Jan 5, 2018
Boca Raton, FL
Moto E6
I have a side question. With the instruction, I can in fact root the device when boot to recovery.
However, I am unable to pass the SafeNet check.
It keeps failing with CTSProfile, and I have been unable to get past that.

MagiskHide Props does not have a known signature for Moto E6.
Universal SafeNet Fix (Riru) doesn't seem to pass the CTSProfile unfortunately. It only forces basic attestation.
Me too, I have two 2005-5's with PPBS29.73-81-5-14-5-4-2-6-7, with only one rooted. I'm going to fastboot the unrooted one and try to get the fingerprints off it. Need to find a step-by-step. Let you know. BTW, the MagiskHide suggested moto G(6) doesn't work.

Last edited:

vendo232

Sep 26, 2013
Team

using scotty`s giude patching boot and recovery on the latest Canary Magisk 25201 I was able to achieve

FULL AND PERMANENT ROOT

I do not need to boot into recovery since latest Magisk offers recovery patch option so normal boot will preserve the root.

I`m on

XT2005-5

XT2005-5_SURFNA_CC_9.0_PPBS29.73-81-5-14-5-4-2-6-7_cid50_subsidy-CCAWS_regulatory-XT2005-5-SKU6_CFC.xml.zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had success rooting this device (Moto E6 Surfna) by following the "Boot Image Patching" method here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html
    mingkee had success with the same method on the G7 https://xdaforums.com/moto-g7/how-to/root-g7-magisk-t3907084

Summary:
    1. Unlock bootloader, this can help https://xdaforums.com/moto-g7/how-to/guide-unlock-g7-bootloader-t3906858
    2. Download the firmware for your variant: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/surfna/official/
    3. From the firmware zip, extract the recovery.img
    4. Install the Magisk Manager https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445 on the phone
    5. Push the recovery.img to the phone
    6. From the Magisk Manager, tap "Install" then "Select and Patch a File", find the recovery.img and patch it.
    7. Pull the patched img to the PC, Magisk Manager will put in /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
    8. Flash the patched img as recovery (fastboot flash recovery magisk_patched.img)

I used the recovery.img instead of the boot.img because the boot.img didn't work for me. Check out the "Magisk in Recovery" section https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html
    Start the phone in recovery mode and Magisk will start the phone normally. In the future, the phone will need to boot in recovery mode to start Magisk. A normal boot will cause Magisk to deactivate.

Proceed at your own risk. I give no guarantees, implied or otherwise.
    Also, I might've missed a step here or there.

Good luck, happy rooting.
    Easy Root and Keep Root on Motorola E6

Hi everyone. I have a new Moto E6 XT2005-3 and wanted a stable root with no error messages. I finally found a simple way to have a stable root that would not disappear. After reading everything in this thread, here are the steps I used, and you can too. It should work for any E6 with an unlocked bootloader.

Be careful and take your time doing this.

In any event, here goes...
    1. Install Magisk Manager 7.5.1 app and download and unzip your latest rom (https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/surfna/official/) on your phone
    2.. From the app, choose install Magisk, choose install again, and then choose install and patch file.
    3. Choose the boot.img from your unzipped latest rom and let the app do its thing
    4. Using your file manager app, go to the downloads folder and change the name of magisk_patched.img to magisk_boot.img
    5. Go back to the Magisk app, and this time open Advanced Settings and click the recovery option. Leave the other options as they are.
    6. Again, choose install Magisk, choose install again, and then choose install and patch file.
    7. Choose the recovery.img from your same rom as the boot.img and let the app do its thing
    8. Using your file manager app, go to the downloads folder and change the name of magisk_patched.img to magisk_recovery.img
    9. using the usb cable, copy magisk_boot.img and magisk_recovery.img to your PC's adb folder
    10. leave the usb cable connected and reboot your phone to bootloader
    11. using your PC, open a terminal in the adb folder.
    12. type the following 2 commands
    12a. fastboot flash boot magisk_boot.img
    12b. fastboot flash recovery magisk_recovery.img

You are done. Now if you want a non-rooted phone, power off, and start it up.
    You will see a black screen with some words or numbers in the top left. It will stay that way for up to 30 seconds before your will see the normal motorola screen. THIS IS NORMAL.
    If you black screen bothers you... it did me, you can look into the app section of this forum for the logo.bin file and install procedure.
    If you want a rooted phone, (a) power off, boot into the bootloader, and choose RECOVERY, or, (b) install a "quickboot" app and choose the "reboot to recovery" option each time. you want to reboot.
    You will never lose root and, if you boot normally by mistake, no problem.

Have fun.
    Nice work @mer2017. These recent Moto devices -- some of them at least -- have proven difficult to root. The Moto G7 Play is among those devices that, despite adamant efforts, does not presently have a viable rooting method. Methods which have been confirmed successful for other Moto G7 variants are not effective on the G7 Play, despite the fact that an unofficial and seemingly stable TWRP build has been compiled as well.
    I have been reading the Magisk support topics you referenced for recovery image patching versus boot image patching. The answer is most likely some utilization of a patched recovery image, perhaps somehow flashed to the /boot partition?? This is where things get muddled for me, as the G7 Play -- being an A/B partition index device -- is devoid of an actual /recovery partition. Anyway, OP, I apologize in advance for my somewhat off-topic post. I realize this thread is intended for Moto E6 subject matter regarding root. When I read your thread, a light bulb sort of illuminated for me with respect to a working root method for my device. I will provide links to a couple of the tentative root threads for the Moto G7 Play. If you could perhaps give some input based on your experience, it would be a huge help to us. Again, I humbly beg your pardon for posting about a different device, and nice work on the Moto E6. :good:
    https://xdaforums.com/g7-play/development/recovery-dirty-ported-twrp-g7-play-t3947205/page19

https://xdaforums.com/g7-play/help/successfully-rooted-moto-g7-play-t3930747/page4
    I don't know about all of that.
    But I can make a package that would use fastboot to unlock the device and then flash twrp and then restore a twrp backup that would set u up with magisk, in boot partition... And working twrp with touch on recovery. Also disables encryption and verity ....

An all in one tool.

Can be made for a PC,
    Linux or windows..

I just need to feel motivated
    Some sort of progress

So, I got rooted with magisk using stock recovery.
    To get around the sometimes accident regular boot.
    I flashed the broken twrp that's floating around to my boot partition.
    Now it always reboots to recovery.

Going to work out the encryption from fstabs and from the dtb and dtb0.

Also my friends and I are trying to get the twrp working with the touch screen

I'm going to pull the firmware off my e6 for a way back to rooted stock,
    Then start working towards getting custom rom

I think twrp that semi works needs the ramdisk fixed up and a point to dtbo.

I might try appending the dtb to the zimage in the recovery kernel....

Anyway just some small progress, I'll update as I have time and make advancement