• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rooting Galaxy S8 SM-G950W (Canadian S8 with Telus)

Search This thread

Skyty1991

May 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to root my old S8 that's just been lying around. I haven't rooted a phone since the S4 mini and before that the HTC Evo 3D, so I'm a bit rusty.

I found a thread about the G950W and rooting it, but it now claims to be discontinued. The new thread that was linked only indicates that it's for the G960U.

I also wanted to mention that it has Android 8.0, and I feel like I recall seeing something that said only 7.0 can be rooted? Has this changed? Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

I believe my phone has a Snapdragon processor and I don't recall seeing OEM Unlock under the developer options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to root my old S8 that's just been lying around. I haven't rooted a phone since the S4 mini and before that the HTC Evo 3D, so I'm a bit rusty.

I found a thread about the G950W and rooting it, but it now claims to be discontinued. The new thread that was linked only indicates that it's for the G960U.

I also wanted to mention that it has Android 8.0, and I feel like I recall seeing something that said only 7.0 can be rooted? Has this changed? Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

I believe my phone has a Snapdragon processor and I don't recall seeing OEM Unlock under the developer options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

No oem unlock. Still root 7.0 only. Look up extreme syndicate thread and you can root 7.0 from there

Skyty1991

May 17, 2020
So since my S8 has Android 8.0 I'm out of luck then? After looking through the thread I didn't see any mention of G950W or rolling back Android 8.0 to 7.0.

May 27, 2016
toronto
I updated my S8 SM-G950W to android 9 and all the threads I find in forums say android 7 is required/or OEM unlock is required/OR bootloader must be unlocked. I haven't found one starting from android 9 with the Canadian variant with the bootloader locked. Any thoughts on what to do from here?