• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rooting guide for HTC DESIRE S

Search This thread

cellem

Jan 31, 2012
Athens
Hi guys! I just bought for my wife the Desire S and I have to say it is a nice phone to use and it suits her more than fine. The android version is 2.3.5 and HTC sence 3.0 is it possible to root it? is there some guide? I did some reading but I think that goes for older android versions... also pls tell me what you need to know from the device...thank ya all!!

Last edited:

Uppy

Nov 30, 2009
Up t'north
Hey cellem, as already stated in this thread, to root it you have to unlock the bootloader, go to htcdev and follow the very simple guide there to unlock your bootloader. Once that's done superoneclick will run perfectly fine and root the phone.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

Reactions: cellem

cellem

Jan 31, 2012
Athens
Hey cellem, as already stated in this thread, to root it you have to unlock the bootloader, go to htcdev and follow the very simple guide there to unlock your bootloader. Once that's done superoneclick will run perfectly fine and root the phone.

Hope this helps :)

I am going to try it but some guys in the Greek forum said that it is not easy to rooti it and I should come to xda and check it out... hope I can make it!!!

doghous

Sep 17, 2010
Amsterdam
www.vwclub.gr
No worries cellem, I've done the HTCdev method unlock a couple of weeks ago and I've flashed a custom ROM, it's really simple!
My DS works like a charm since then! :)

Uppy

Nov 30, 2009
Up t'north
Steps 7 and 8 look daunting but it's really not. You'll be fine. Just remember that unlocking the bootloader factory resets your phone.

Jul 23, 2008
Hi, noticed the 'desire s' isn't listed in the htcdev.com site. What procedures did you use ?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Uppy

Nov 30, 2009
Up t'north
Scroll down to the bottom of the list and choose "other supported devices"

jonwor01

Dec 25, 2012
Rooting my desire s - Newbie

Hi Please I just joined this forum with the aim of rooting my HTC DESIRE S . I have no experience in this and really don't understand the whole procedure involved. I recently migrated from apple and think its cool using the android all through.
I have read a few things here and watched a few videos but haven't actually got a answer on how to go about this. I currently have a MAC and would like help on how what to do and software to get in other to root my phone.
Thanks

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
Hi Please I just joined this forum with the aim of rooting my HTC DESIRE S . I have no experience in this and really don't understand the whole procedure involved. I recently migrated from apple and think its cool using the android all through.
I have read a few things here and watched a few videos but haven't actually got a answer on how to go about this. I currently have a MAC and would like help on how what to do and software to get in other to root my phone.
Thanks

If you look at the stickies at the to of the desire s development page the index thread compiled by ben_pyett. Is the best place to start reading remember to click his thanks button because you won't be able to post there anyway

Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?
- Mork, Mork and Mindy

Reactions: jonwor01

madferret

Dec 4, 2005
I currently have a MAC and would like help on how what to do and software to get in other to root my phone.
Yes, you can't do better than read all the guides very carefully. :)

One thing you may like to know is that ADB will work through Terminal on a Mac without messing around installing HTC drivers like you do on Windows. All you need are the Android SDK platform tools on your Mac. There are clear instructions on how to do this at this web page.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonwor01

pramod.shinde1981

Dec 30, 2012
Mumbai
Unlock bootloader for HTC Desire S

Can I only unlock the bootloader as I want keep the Stock ROM on my phone. Right now I dont want any cutom ROM to be installed. I want to root the phone to use some of the applications.

Is it mean that by unlocking the bootloader my phone will be rooted? Or I have to done something more than that?

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
Can I only unlock the bootloader as I want keep the Stock ROM on my phone. Right now I dont want any cutom ROM to be installed. I want to root the phone to use some of the applications.

Is it mean that by unlocking the bootloader my phone will be rooted? Or I have to done something more than that?

It means you have root access and will be able to run things like titanium backup etc, you can still stay on stock. Just please remember that if you do try a new rom in the future that you have to flash the boot.Img with adb. I was unlocked for a bit with stock, you shouldn't be able to do it any real damage with s-on.

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Reactions: pramod.shinde1981

teadrinker

Jun 7, 2012

After unlocking the bootloader, you'll have to install a custom recovery (like 4ext, Cwm etc.) and flash either SuperSU or SuperUser in the recovery.

Reactions: pramod.shinde1981

LoveSicKWAR

Mar 19, 2013
Glasgow
It is a lot easier if you use the All-in-one toolkit as you do not need to worry about fastboot and everything to flash boot.IMG 's and to HTCdev unlock.

Also once you have achieved HTCdev unlock you click one button to install a custom recovery instead of mucking about in fastboot cmd.

Here is the link if you are interested (it is definitely worth a look): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2088385

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hy everyone,
    i succefuly rooted htc desire s.
    the Superonclick root worked for me.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

What needs done is a clockworkmod recovery, which isnt avaiable right now for the desire s.
    what do you need to do to check if it is s-off or not?

I don't want to be rude or anything but why can't You use search option? See, this question have been answered dozens of times in here, and basic google search will give You even more sources.

I will spoon feed You this time: power off device, hold volume down and power button, read.
    Finally I have managed to root my desire s I have s-off if u have PG88IMG.ZIP remove boot-signed and add the insecure boot to the zip from one off the files in the desire forums. And then use superoneclick it will work. Here is the link from were I got the insecure img from hope that it helps every one that has s off. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=999397

damn... ****... dude... that was exactly what i´m looking for.
    i´m playing around with this RG88IMG file for more than 36h but didn´t found that ROM in the desire forum. that unsecured bootimage was the key to root my phone too. even if it was s-off nothing would work. but this one does.

build my own PG88IMG.zip with the unsecured boot image and after flashing it i get adb root and could use the exploit from superonklick root tool.

IMAG0074.jpg

so if you have the same problem like me, that superoneklick tool hangs at "Running psneuter" than you should give this a try.

this works only on s-off devices. all you s-on´s you have to wait for other options or find someone with a xtc clip.

download the PG88IMG-unsecured_bootimg.zip rename it to "PG88IMG.zip" and put it on the root of your SD card. than reboot into hboot and wait.
    bootloader will automaticly chack this file (ignore the security flag ;-) ) and flash this unsecured boot.img.

reboot your phone and use superoneklick tool the normal way.

rename the PG88IMG.zip to something else or the bootloader will try to flash it every time when the phone starts in bootloader.

hope this will help those who could root even with s-off.

thanks dude.... your my hero of the week :-D

kind regards
    @loveboat: could you please stop posting the same reply in multiple threads its getting annoying... Just put a link to your other answer. Or quote it.

kk, thx, bey

i stop posting relevant stuff...

see yourself where to get it and build it yourself.

i´m not responsible that there are 3 !!! rooting guides in this forum and one of them in the general forum. perhaps a mod can stick this together.

i only want to give a clear and easy guide in both threads. if that is annoying for you pretty please sorry ;-) be not so rude with happy dev´s that want to share there work with everyone.
    You can also wait for S-OFF promised by HTC </endOfJoke>

I would almost bet monney, that the only already released phones that will be unlocked by patch are the Sensation and Evo 3D (not sure if the Evo was locked, since its not yet released over here tho).