• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rooting HP Slate 7. Updated March 16 2014

Search This thread

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Updated to March 16th 2014.

General Warning, read before doing anything to your tablet:
Whenever you try to do anything to your system ALWAYS back up everything since there is always the chance that something might go wrong.
If something goes wrong you have to download and install the boot images from HP support, HP Slate 7 2800 restore image and HP Slate 7 4600 restore image, the install instructions are in the same page in "How to install".
Some users have had problems with the alternative rooting method using Bin4ry's tool, since it is some I will asume it is something someone is not doing correctly, because other users with the same slate model have been able to root, if it is your case where you can't actually root post here I'll try to help you in any way I can.
To end this sort of disclaimer, my Slate 7 is the model 4600 so I'm not actually able to try the method with other slate models, anyhow other users have had no problem but as always this could be your case and I'm not responsible in any way if you brick your device.

Cydia's Impactor tool has been updated and it's working with all versions of the roms (Confirmed by users).
Bin4ry's rooting tool has been updated, chances are it's more friendly user and won't throw any errors, up to you to try it out.

Just as a side note, the screenshots below are just for reference, they are not the same drivers/devices, they are only meant for you to know where to click.

Step 1: Download Tool Package (this is an old package, the drivers in the package works but you NEED TO ALSO DOWNLOAD Cydia's Impactor (Link to home page in case you are interested in reading a bit) and Googles ADB Drivers with a little modification in the ini file so it installs the driver for our HP Slate 7 tablet). If your Slate 7 model is 2800, you have to also download Moborobo that will find and install the drivers for you. I've received messages from users who have had both good luck and no luck installing the drivers, this must be dependant on your operative system and administrative rights, I did all this steps on a Windows 8 64bits machine with administrative privileges.
Download latest Cydia's impactor tool from the link above. The one in the package won't help you if you are trying to root v9 and above.

Step 2: Unzip the package anywhere you like, meanwhile go to your tablet and set it to USB Debugging.

usb-debugging.jpg

YOU MUST SET IT ON USB DEBUGGING MODE, else nothing that you try will work.

Step 3 OPTIONAL: Just in case if your computer doesnt realize there is a device connected you need to copy the file in "\.android\adb_usb.ini" over to your user path "%USERPROFILE%\.android\" and reboot the computer (Just in case it wont recognize a device as connected).

Step 4: Now open the computers Device Manager and you will see something similar to this picture

a1.JPG

Step 5: Right click the HP Device and choose to update driver, search for drivers in the computer (2nd option), then "let me pick from a list of device" as follows:

a2.JPG

Step 6: Next click in "have disk" and navigate to where you unpacked the file downloaded earlier and choose the ini file.

a3.JPG

a4.JPG

Pictures for reference only.

Step 7:All you have left is open Cydia's Impactor tool, you will see a small window with a default command on screen which is the following:
Code:
# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su
Just click Start next to it aaaaand you are done!
(PS: If this worked you are done, skip Step 7B. If you were unable to root your device try Step 7B)

Step 7B (ONLY IF Cydia's tool did not work): Warning: I've received messages from some users that this exploit has left them on bootloops, this method is tested on the 4600 model, if you have another and it works please do post your results, if you have problems all you have to do is download your model ROM from HP support and boot it through your microSD card to restore factory settings, also check in Bin4ry's thread for information if it is your case, if you find another method please do let us know ;) . DO THIS ONLY IF STEP 7 FAILED, you will have to download the following rooting tool from Bin4ry's XDA thread, execute "RunMe.bat" and use method 1 and follow the on-screen instructions (This method will reboot your tablet 3 times if I remember correctly, after 2 reboots it will be stuck in a black screen for a couple of minutes (or more, it took me around 10 minutes) this is as it pushes the files for superuser, don't panic).

You can check your build version as it's shown in the following picture.
Slate_7_model_number.jpg

Just open an app like Titanium Backup which needs root to see if it worked.

This method is simple plus you don't have to download anything chinese or unnecesary software into your computer, the tutorial is really long because I tried to be as detailed as posible but in the end you shouldnt take more than 5 minutes (The downloads might take a bit longer though for the SDK), I would take screenshots of the process but my computer runs on a Spanish version of Windows (The same reason why you might see things with different names I was just trying to guess the device manager label part).

If you have any question feel free to ask (of course... as long as it hasn't been asked again and again in the thread ;) ) and if it worked for you a thanks would be awesome so more users will try

PS: My Slate 7 model is the 4600 but it should work with others slates and for that matters, with any tablet as long as the adb driver is recognized.
PS2: If you could upload the package into a new mirror that might help more people.
PS3: Updated to March 16th 2014.
PS4: I just realized the screenshots facilitated by another user have been deleted, will try to find new ones.
PS5: If this helped you, please do thank, this way more users will benefit from it.

Last edited:

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Universal Root

Ok people, I've used pretty much the same method to unlock 2 different tablets, if you see my other guide with rooting MSI Windpad 71 it's almost the same thing.

Once you get ADB running all you have to do is run Cydia's impactor and you are good to go.

If this helped anyone please tell your experience and with which devices you have tried this.

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Dont wory man,i root my slate 7. How? I told you now. First i intall this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jg872o2armnntt/ADBDrivers.exe and strart it and install drivers. Then i run cydia impactor and everyting its done for few seconds. But i have one question now: is the cydia its universal for all android deviceses?

Yes, Cydia's main goal is to be a universal rooting tool.

I will check on the drivers you found, it could shorten the guide.

For everyone else I know it looks like a lot of steps, but it's really download software, modify a couple of ini files, install driver and run Cydia ;) Will check on the drivers MasterTempo installed maybe I can make a package for a single small download.

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Ok guide updated to v2.0 with single package download.

As long as the computer recognizes the ADB drivers for the phone/tablet Cydia's Impactor tool should root any device.

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Doesn't work. When I run Impactor I get an error: Signature bugs unavailable.

I tried updating impactor and I have the latest version.

I can factory reset and root again, but how do I stop the OTA update prompts from popping up?

Ok it seems the latest OTA which was a big one over 250mb changed something, I lost root access too, will have to see how to get this one rooted.

If anyone could confirm before trying to update to big OTA their versions? Mine is after OTA Android Version 4.1.1 compilation numbre v1.05.10_user.

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
It seems that for version 1.05.10 they have fixed the master key vulnerability of android.

"If you are having problems using Cydia Impactor (it crashes, doesn't work on your device, or simply doesn't make any sense) please join #android on irc.saurik.com and ask a question.

The Android "Master Key" vulnerability was found by Bluebox Security. For more information on how this bug works, I have done an overly-detailed article on the exploit technique.

If that bug is not available, Impactor will instead attempt to use a different signature verification bug. For more information on how that bug works, I have done another article on the new exploit.

It is possible that your device has been patched against both bugs; Impactor will inform you of this. If you'd like to check before spending time working with Impactor, you can try either the Bluebox Security Scanner or the alternative SRT AppScanner (which I have found to provide fewer false positives than Bluebox's tool).

Some devices are also patched against the second stage now used to get root; devices that are patched will show "link failed file exists". (This second stage was made possible due to help from @giantpune.)
".

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo

I can factory reset and root again, but how do I stop the OTA update prompts from popping up?

Ok I found a working root for latest 1.05.10 patch you can download here.

Once you download the tool you have to run the "RunMe.bat" file and follow the instructions, the method that worked was method 1 "New Standard-Root", it seems to also come with an unroot option for those who have asked for it, havent tried it though.

PS: Be careful when "press a key to continue now" because you can make it a double tap and miss a step, it won't brick the device but you will take longer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated to March 16th 2014.

General Warning, read before doing anything to your tablet:
    Whenever you try to do anything to your system ALWAYS back up everything since there is always the chance that something might go wrong.
    If something goes wrong you have to download and install the boot images from HP support, HP Slate 7 2800 restore image and HP Slate 7 4600 restore image, the install instructions are in the same page in "How to install".
    Some users have had problems with the alternative rooting method using Bin4ry's tool, since it is some I will asume it is something someone is not doing correctly, because other users with the same slate model have been able to root, if it is your case where you can't actually root post here I'll try to help you in any way I can.
    To end this sort of disclaimer, my Slate 7 is the model 4600 so I'm not actually able to try the method with other slate models, anyhow other users have had no problem but as always this could be your case and I'm not responsible in any way if you brick your device.

Cydia's Impactor tool has been updated and it's working with all versions of the roms (Confirmed by users).
    Bin4ry's rooting tool has been updated, chances are it's more friendly user and won't throw any errors, up to you to try it out.

Just as a side note, the screenshots below are just for reference, they are not the same drivers/devices, they are only meant for you to know where to click.

Step 1: Download Tool Package (this is an old package, the drivers in the package works but you NEED TO ALSO DOWNLOAD Cydia's Impactor (Link to home page in case you are interested in reading a bit) and Googles ADB Drivers with a little modification in the ini file so it installs the driver for our HP Slate 7 tablet). If your Slate 7 model is 2800, you have to also download Moborobo that will find and install the drivers for you. I've received messages from users who have had both good luck and no luck installing the drivers, this must be dependant on your operative system and administrative rights, I did all this steps on a Windows 8 64bits machine with administrative privileges.
    Download latest Cydia's impactor tool from the link above. The one in the package won't help you if you are trying to root v9 and above.

Step 2: Unzip the package anywhere you like, meanwhile go to your tablet and set it to USB Debugging.

usb-debugging.jpg

YOU MUST SET IT ON USB DEBUGGING MODE, else nothing that you try will work.

Step 3 OPTIONAL: Just in case if your computer doesnt realize there is a device connected you need to copy the file in "\.android\adb_usb.ini" over to your user path "%USERPROFILE%\.android\" and reboot the computer (Just in case it wont recognize a device as connected).

Step 4: Now open the computers Device Manager and you will see something similar to this picture

a1.JPG

Step 5: Right click the HP Device and choose to update driver, search for drivers in the computer (2nd option), then "let me pick from a list of device" as follows:

a2.JPG

Step 6: Next click in "have disk" and navigate to where you unpacked the file downloaded earlier and choose the ini file.

a3.JPG

a4.JPG

Pictures for reference only.

Step 7:All you have left is open Cydia's Impactor tool, you will see a small window with a default command on screen which is the following:
    Code:
    # drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su
    Just click Start next to it aaaaand you are done!
    (PS: If this worked you are done, skip Step 7B. If you were unable to root your device try Step 7B)

Step 7B (ONLY IF Cydia's tool did not work): Warning: I've received messages from some users that this exploit has left them on bootloops, this method is tested on the 4600 model, if you have another and it works please do post your results, if you have problems all you have to do is download your model ROM from HP support and boot it through your microSD card to restore factory settings, also check in Bin4ry's thread for information if it is your case, if you find another method please do let us know ;) . DO THIS ONLY IF STEP 7 FAILED, you will have to download the following rooting tool from Bin4ry's XDA thread, execute "RunMe.bat" and use method 1 and follow the on-screen instructions (This method will reboot your tablet 3 times if I remember correctly, after 2 reboots it will be stuck in a black screen for a couple of minutes (or more, it took me around 10 minutes) this is as it pushes the files for superuser, don't panic).

You can check your build version as it's shown in the following picture.
    Slate_7_model_number.jpg

Just open an app like Titanium Backup which needs root to see if it worked.

This method is simple plus you don't have to download anything chinese or unnecesary software into your computer, the tutorial is really long because I tried to be as detailed as posible but in the end you shouldnt take more than 5 minutes (The downloads might take a bit longer though for the SDK), I would take screenshots of the process but my computer runs on a Spanish version of Windows (The same reason why you might see things with different names I was just trying to guess the device manager label part).

If you have any question feel free to ask (of course... as long as it hasn't been asked again and again in the thread ;) ) and if it worked for you a thanks would be awesome so more users will try

PS: My Slate 7 model is the 4600 but it should work with others slates and for that matters, with any tablet as long as the adb driver is recognized.
    PS2: If you could upload the package into a new mirror that might help more people.
    PS3: Updated to March 16th 2014.
    PS4: I just realized the screenshots facilitated by another user have been deleted, will try to find new ones.
    PS5: If this helped you, please do thank, this way more users will benefit from it.
    Back to 1.05.14 with root

Here's how I make a rollback to 1.05.14 version on my HP Slate 7 2800 tablet (sorry for english, I'm french).

Firstly a big thank to all those who advised me in PMs... !!

Note : I will neither be held liable in case of mishandling or brick. So be careful or do not start these operations if you don't feel able to accomplish them.

First of all, you need to get RK 2.1 tool from finless (thanks to Bob !) : http://freaktab.com/forum/developme...p-your-rk-device-rom-with-the-new-rk-2-1-tool
    Download link : http://www.freak-tab.de/finless/rk_tool21_how_to.zip

I assume you have already installed the ADB drivers. If it's not the case, you can continue with this topic from MrTheV : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2660208
    Or install Morobo here : http://www.moborobo.com/ or else Google it.
    Yo may need Cydia Impactor 0.9.14 (by Saurik) later, download it here : http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ to root, or easily restart in bootloader mode.

1st step : you must generate the file parameter.txt
    Restart in bootloader mode (with Cydia Impactor, or with a command line using Adb.exe like adb reboot booloader).
    Use the program ROM_Dumper_Tool.exe (on the third tab Advanced Function) and read and follow the file INSTRUCTIONS_README_FIRST.TXT
    Suppose that at this stage you have exported the file, rename it, and have it changed and saved as specified in the documentation.

2nd step : download other archives
    [ROM] Stock for HP Slate 7 2800 (by rjwil1086) : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2608181
    Download link : http://goo.gl/f5bL3p
    [CWM] 6.0.3.3 for HP Slate 7 (by rjwil1086) : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2599500
    Download link : http://goo.gl/GDbDyc

Then, you have to use the tool in Flasher_tool\ROM_Flash_Tool_137.exe
    With parameter.txt, we will flash ONLY boot.img contained in the archive pine-update-signed.zip and recovery.img contained in the second archive CWM 6.0.3.3.zip (read the instructions carefully).

Now we have a functional CWM recovery.

3rd step : Back to 1.05.06
    Now reboot in CWM recovery and flash the pine-update-signed.zip file already got.
    Then you have to put the stock recovery.
    Download it here : http://goo.gl/cGtlt1

We'll return into bootloader mode, and flash ONLY this stock recovery ( 20131217.recovery.img ) located in the zip with the tool Flasher Tool\ ROM_Flash_Tool_137.exe.

We now have an HP Slate 7 in 1.05.06 version with a 1.05.10 recovery.
    You can now reboot into recovery mode and flash the update.zip of 1.05.10 in order to be consistent.
    Download link here (and rename it to update.zip) : http://www.4shared.com/zip/YE4jxMtoba/update_10510_.html

4th step : Back to 1.05.14
    Reboot in recovery mode and flash the update.zip 1.05.14
    Download link here (and rename it to update.zip) : http://www.4shared.com/zip/ZBxJS9Pdce/update_10514_.html

You can now easily root your tablet with shuame, Cydia Impactor, or a lot of others methods available on XDA. Then install SuperSU (from Chainfire).

5th step : Back to CWM Recovery
    You can use my method here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2570936

Additions :
    - How to make RockChip's BatchTool work under Windows 8.1 (by VirusPlus) : http://vondroid.com/threads/how-to-...ol-work-under-windows-8-1.16827/#.ViH5kH7hCM8
    - Rockchip batch Tool v1..7.rar download link : http://www.4shared.com/rar/v-3XgLn6ba/Rockchip_Batch_Tool_v17.html
    - Rockchip driver USB fix.rar download link : http://www.4shared.com/rar/FCARP97cce/Rockchip_driver_USB_fix.html
    - To avoid future update from HP, simply install the FOTAKill.apk (by Rocket321) : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1832496

Good luck !!!
    Easy root success

HP slate7 2801 easily rooted just by this VROOT english software, just USB debug on, antivirus disable as it may inhibit VROOT installation( for me NOD32 antivirus)
    just install this software

Ok I found a working root for latest 1.05.10 patch you can download here.

Once you download the tool you have to run the "RunMe.bat" file and follow the instructions, the method that worked was method 1 "New Standard-Root", it seems to also come with an unroot option for those who have asked for it, havent tried it though.

PS: Be careful when "press a key to continue now" because you can make it a double tap and miss a step, it won't brick the device but you will take longer.
    Hello

Thanks for the tips.

I think I have found a simpler method to root the HP Slate 7 2800 from a Windows 7 PC.

At first, I installed adb drivers for HP slate 7 2800 as described here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=50592161

Then I downloaded the LATEST Cydia Impactor from here:
    http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/
    (the previous version did not work).
    I ran Cydia Impactor and clicked Start and I gained root access to my HP slate 7