• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rooting Kindle Fire HDX 7 32 GB 3rd Gen Fire OS 13.3.2.1 Wrapup

Search This thread

reggie9

Dec 20, 2010
Rooting Kindle Fire HDX 7 32gb 3rd Gen Fire OS 13.3.2.1

Airplane Mode ON WIFI Off
Kindle Fire ADB Composite Drivers must be installed to working PC

In KFHDX Settings
Set Enable ADB - ON
Set Apps from unknown sources - ON

Faznx's KF-HDX Toolkit v0.95
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95832962473395302

KFHDX ToolKit v0.95.zip
MD5: 3C1D7DB855E54A39BF2FD59BE6ABA9DC
SHA-256: 614A0D077BEC8B85F6D6B377D2D18EB719AB9ED15B08B41CD5 8968BEED653C0C

Rooted KFHDX using Towelroot in above toolkit. - No Issues

Then applied:

1> SuperSU v2.14 installer in Faznx's KF-HDX Toolkit v0.95 - No Issues
2> Over the air update blocker and re-enabler for all current rootable versions in Faznx's KF-HDX Toolkit v0.95 - No Issues

Airplane Mode ON WIFI Off
Use adb to install ES File Explorer

http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/

ADB install (installs application) -- adb install c:\com.estrongs.android.pop.apk - No Issues
Checked in ES File Manager to make sure I had root.

Next rename the /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip file - one issue - resolved

Even though I ran the disable OTA updates, I am concerned that some post I have read said their system was update even though they renamed.
I think now it's possible they get around us by running an MD5 hash on files in that folder and compare to the hash they store for that version.
The better idea may be to move that file out of that folder. I did just that.

Here are the directions to rename:
see the contents of that folder with adb shell ls -Ral /system/etc/security

Example:
C:\Users\davcam\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell ls -Ral /system/etc/security

/system/etc/security:
drwxr-xr-x root root 2014-02-07 04:23 cacerts
-rw-r--r-- root root 1337 2014-02-07 04:23 otacerts.zip

Before you can rename this file you must set the \ and \system file systems to r/w - then you can rename or mv the file.
When completed, change \ and \system file systems back to ro

Next : Safestrap
https://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/thor/safestrap/
I tried Safestrap-Thor-3.72.apk and it did not seem to work. I unistalled recovery and Safestrap-Thor-3.72.apk.

I was able to successfully install Safestrap-Thor-3.75-os3.2.4-B02.apk, install recovery, boot into recovery, backup up stock, create a new rom slot,
change to that Rom slot and restore stock backup into that slot.

Now on startup i get the Safestrap screen.

One thing I noticed was that the stock values for the rom slots are a little small, so keep that in mind.

Thanks to everyone on XDA Forums, especial to EncryptedCurse for the terse, meaningful tips., Faznx's KF-HDX Toolkit v0.95, Geohot's Towelroot,
hashcode0f's Safestrap, OTA disable, and Supersu.

Current Status:
Using a copy of stock on a somewhat larger partition, no otacerts.zip file

Next steps:

0> Thank and donate to the developers I mentioned above.
1> Airplane mode OFF, wifi ON , register with Amz
1.1> Get GAPPS installed on this copy of stock I'm booting into
2>to see if possible to load a CM11 image into one or my bran new slots.

Question: If Amazon were able to push an update to me, would I just be able to recover to my stock image and move on?
Thanks for the help and education!

Last edited:

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Realme GT
Next steps:

Question: If Amazon were able to push an update to me, would I just be able to recover to my stock image and move on?

Dont try to install CM11 with Safestrap!! It wont work, and you will brick your device! You have to install TWRP 2.8.4.0 and only then you can install CM11 safely.

If your device get FW 4.X.X, you lost root and ability to install custom roms through custom recovery (Safestrap, TWRP 2.8.4.0) - and only way to get the root again is rollback from 4.x.x to 3.2.7-8 (by amazon tech support), and then you can use only Safestrap, so no CM11 or Nexus 2.0.4 ROMs for FW 3.2.7-8!

reggie9

Dec 20, 2010
Dont try to install CM11 with Safestrap!! It wont work, and you will brick your device! You have to install TWRP 2.8.4.0 and only then you can install CM11 safely.

If your device get FW 4.X.X, you lost root and ability to install custom roms through custom recovery (Safestrap, TWRP 2.8.4.0) - and only way to get the root again is rollback from 4.x.x to 3.2.7-8 (by amazon tech support), and then you can use only Safestrap, so no CM11 or Nexus 2.0.4 ROMs for FW 3.2.7-8!

Thanks! I appreciate the heads up. Any idea where I can locate TWRP 2.8.4.0 for this device?
Sorry - Found it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/recovery-twrp-2-8-1-0-thor-t2986004
Reggie9

Last edited:

reggie9

Dec 20, 2010

Everything has seemed pretty clear up to now, but I am trying to understand what I should do next? I have Safestrap 3.72 beta installed and I'm running off of a backup of stock running in ROM-Slot 1.

Do I need to wipe rom slot one, remove recovery and uninstall Safestrap? Then install TWRP? Can I take a backup of my current ROM Slot one and use it in TWRP. I am looking for a good install post or video for installing TWRP 2.8.4.0 on KFHDX. It appears that TWRP does not use the concept of ROM slots but actually wipes the main system (that has been backed up to the builtin recovery area?) Then installs an image on the main system? I understand basically what Safestrap is doing, but not TWRP.

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Realme GT
Everything has seemed pretty clear up to now, but I am trying to understand what I should do next? I have Safestrap 3.72 beta installed and I'm running off of a backup of stock running in ROM-Slot 1.

Do I need to wipe rom slot one, remove recovery and uninstall Safestrap? Then install TWRP? Can I take a backup of my current ROM Slot one and use it in TWRP. I am looking for a good install post or video for installing TWRP 2.8.4.0 on KFHDX. It appears that TWRP does not use the concept of ROM slots but actually wipes the main system (that has been backed up to the builtin recovery area?) Then installs an image on the main system? I understand basically what Safestrap is doing, but not TWRP.

1. You are on compatible firmware so dont complicate things so much :) If you want to understand how Safestrap or TWRP itself work - google is your friend, you will certainly find plenty of information about how things works: here is little introduction about differencies between them, not all of course...
  2. And here is little something from ggow about how to install twrp and remove safestrap, you can later find safestrap slot image files in data/media/safestrap - and after you have functional TWRP 2.8.4.0, you can delete safestrap folder safely and free some space taken by these image files
  3. Normal way is how TWRP 2.8.4.0 works (IMHO) - only one big playground managed by mighty TWRP recovery always accessible by shortcut when you made mistake and need to repair something...
  4. Safestrap uses multiple slots for (un)modified stock roms simply because is too dangerous to play with stock rom on systems with locked bootloader, so you can play with slot rom instead of stock where small mistake leads to different types of bricks - some repairable, some not
  5. And yes you can make a backup of your current ROM and use it later with TWRP, but here comes catch, Safestrap only backups system and data partition, not boot (contains kernel), so I recommend after you install your preferred CM11 or Nexus 2.0.4, restore only DATA part of your backup

Last edited:

reggie9

Dec 20, 2010
  1. You are on compatible firmware so dont complicate things so much :) If you want to understand how Safestrap or TWRP itself work - google is your friend, you will certainly find plenty of information about how things works: here is little introduction about differencies between them, not all of course...
  2. And here is little something from ggow about how to install twrp and remove safestrap, you can later find safestrap slot image files in data/media/safestrap - and after you have functional TWRP 2.8.4.0, you can delete safestrap folder safely and free some space taken by these image files
  3. Normal way is how TWRP 2.8.4.0 works (IMHO) - only one big playground managed by mighty TWRP recovery always accessible by shortcut when you made mistake and need to repair something...
  4. Safestrap uses multiple slots for (un)modified stock roms simply because is too dangerous to play with stock rom on systems with locked bootloader, so you can play with slot rom instead of stock where small mistake leads to different types of bricks - some repairable, some not
  5. And yes you can make a backup of your current ROM and use it later with TWRP, but here comes catch, Safestrap only backups system and data partition, not boot (contains kernel), so I recommend after you install your preferred CM11 or Nexus 2.0.4, restore only DATA part of your backup

jeryll - Thanks for the the thoughtful response - will study this. - reggie9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Next steps:

Edit: Looks like jeryll already said it.