Rooting MT4G Glacier running 2.3.4

Search This thread

vvsjay

Aug 11, 2010
Middle River MD
Having problems rooting a MyTouch 4G? Don't believe everything you've read. Downgrading isn't needed. I've been rooting phones for over 4yrs and here is how I achieved root access. (PERM root)

First: Head over to htcdev.com and unlock your bootloader (You will need ADB setup on your computer which isn't hard to do)

Second: You'll need to flash the recovery IMG to your device via CMD/fastboot

Third: Flash the "SU" IMG onto your device and that's it. DONE!! :D

No this isn't a full NAND unlock and doesn't provide S-Off but it does give you root access and Super User permissions.​

Attachments

• recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-glacier.img
    3.5 MB · Views: 836
  • Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
    625.2 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

invasion2

Oct 3, 2011
Space, the ONLY Frontier
Having problems rooting a MyTouch 4G? Don't believe everything you've read. Downgrading isn't needed. I've been rooting phones for over 4yrs and here is how I achieved root access. (PERM root)

First: Head over to htcdev.com and unlock your bootloader (You will need ADB setup on your computer which isn't hard to do)

No this isn't a full NAND unlock and doesn't provide S-Off but it does give you root access and Super User permissions.​

This has been repeated over and over....htcdev unlock is very bad...it makes.everything even more difficult.

Sent from my HoneySmartDroid Port using XDA Premium.

Reactions: neidlinger

saranhai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Nowhere
I wouldn't recommend rooting the htcdev way... Just saying.
There's no way to revert. Plus you need to flash the boot.img separately everytime you want to flash a ROM.. making the process harder.
But yes.. it is easier to root this way... I just wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my Infernalized Glacier!

-Team Inferno

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Congratulations. You're not the first one and not the second one on the forum that achieves perm root using HTC-Dev unlock.

But you forgot to write some other important info:

You won't get S-OFF and will stay on stock bootloader, which means - if you want to flash custom ROMs, for each ROM you'll HAVE TO EXTRACT AND FLASH KERNEL MANUALLY USING FASTBOOT, from that point and until the device is S-OFF and has engineering bootloader on it.

Now, I guess, you can go back to showing off your extraordinary rooting "skillz".

Last edited:

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
facepalm_implied.jpg

This thread is only 4 post long and chuck full of win.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Actually, if the OP wasn't trying to act like a pompous you-know-what, it could have become a proper rooting-without-downgrading-using-HTC-unlock-for-easier-downgrading thread. After all, it's easier to flash pre-rooted 2.2.1 in recovery, than it is to modify MISC partition and rely on PD15IMG auto-flash (people seem to make all the possible mistakes in copying and running this poor couple of scripts), and it only remains to check if the newer bootloader will block gfree or not (and it might) - and if it doesn't, we can have a newer and better rooting guide.

vvsjay

Aug 11, 2010
Middle River MD
This wasn't a "HOW TO ROOT METHOD"

It was just a simple solution for those who didn't know anything about hboot downgrading and flashing kernals/recovery IMG's and etc. Rooting the MT4G can be a b*tch at times and I found this way to be quite simple and straight to the point so I shared my knowledge with anyone who it might help. Don't worry I will be getting better at posting on here LOL don't attack me on my FIRST post :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    facepalm_implied.jpg

This thread is only 4 post long and chuck full of win.

This has been repeated over and over....htcdev unlock is very bad...it makes.everything even more difficult.

Sent from my HoneySmartDroid Port using XDA Premium.
    I wouldn't recommend rooting the htcdev way... Just saying.
    There's no way to revert. Plus you need to flash the boot.img separately everytime you want to flash a ROM.. making the process harder.
    But yes.. it is easier to root this way... I just wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my Infernalized Glacier!

-Team Inferno
    Congratulations. You're not the first one and not the second one on the forum that achieves perm root using HTC-Dev unlock.

But you forgot to write some other important info:

You won't get S-OFF and will stay on stock bootloader, which means - if you want to flash custom ROMs, for each ROM you'll HAVE TO EXTRACT AND FLASH KERNEL MANUALLY USING FASTBOOT, from that point and until the device is S-OFF and has engineering bootloader on it.

Now, I guess, you can go back to showing off your extraordinary rooting "skillz".